~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]
    Contribution Award [Gen Chat]
    Contribution Award [GTAF Census]
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:53 AM

I've never saw that before, what consoles can it emulate?

Nearly every emulator. I kid not. Check out their site for the list. https://retropie.org.uk

Natasha
  • Natasha

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:25 AM

I've never saw that before, what consoles can it emulate?

Nearly every emulator. I kid not. Check out their site for the list. https://retropie.org.uk

I'm sold on this idea now, Amiga! Atari 7800! Commodore 64! Nintendo 64!

God I must sound like a right old fart :lol: Which version does this run on? I've only got the model 2 I beleive.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:28 PM

Yeah, I'm old too. I grew up before video games existed.

They support model 2, but damn...get a model 3.

Natasha
  • Natasha

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:54 PM

Yeah, I'm old too. I grew up before video games existed.

They support model 2, but damn...get a model 3.

Haha I'm not alone then! I got the 2 ages ago and it's gathered dust for a while now, so I can't justify getting the 3 right now. Maybe if I start using it more I'll upgrade.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:50 PM

Because I can't stop having fun with these little things - my little story from last night:
I created my OSMC build (kodi) and did all the fancy addon stuff. So I've got a nice little boot straight to Kodi box now.

But that isn't my story.

Sure sure sure I installed Kore on my tablet so that I had a remote as well as the ability to manage the kodi box without having to have a keyboard attached.

But it gets better.

It was late - way past my bedtime so I grabbed my TV remote to switch the input back to normal. I hit the wrong button on my TV remote and next thing you know the movie I was watching paused. Holy sh*t! My TV remote has full control over my Kodi box too! I did nothing. Talk about a super cool pleasant surprise.

Bonus; I now have a nice collection of bootable .img files.

uNi
  • uNi

Feroci

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Official Gang 2014 [Feroci]

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:29 PM

Yeah, HDMI CEC is neat.
  • trip likes this

Natasha
  • Natasha

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:30 AM Edited by Natz_83, 20 March 2017 - 09:30 AM.

Because I can't stop having fun with these little things - my little story from last night:
I created my OSMC build (kodi) and did all the fancy addon stuff. So I've got a nice little boot straight to Kodi box now.

But that isn't my story.

Sure sure sure I installed Kore on my tablet so that I had a remote as well as the ability to manage the kodi box without having to have a keyboard attached.

But it gets better.

It was late - way past my bedtime so I grabbed my TV remote to switch the input back to normal. I hit the wrong button on my TV remote and next thing you know the movie I was watching paused. Holy sh*t! My TV remote has full control over my Kodi box too! I did nothing. Talk about a super cool pleasant surprise.

Bonus; I now have a nice collection of bootable .img files.

How does that work then?  Cause right now I'm using Kore on my phone as the remote but being able to use an existing actual remote would be awesome.  Without haptic feedback I always need to stare at my remote, which isn't natural really.

Presidential
  • Presidential

lol

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:42 AM

Here you go Natz.

http://kodi.wiki/view/CEC

• Natasha likes this

Natasha
  • Natasha

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:57 AM

Here you go Natz.

http://kodi.wiki/view/CEC

Absolutely did not know this existed, I've ordered the pulse-eight one so I can test it on my Pi2 and also my PC's HDMI port and see which I prefer. Might end up buying another!

Presidential
  • Presidential

lol

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:02 AM

Hell, go ahead and buy a controller for the emulators.

Natasha
  • Natasha

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:06 AM

I 'think' some of my original's can be converted to USB surely? (Saturn/N64/PSX) No? Feel's pointless investing in more controllers when I already have the original's in the loft.

Presidential
  • Presidential

lol

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:53 AM

Not sure on that, most likely there's a way though. I did see where a dude put his Raspberry Pi into his original Xbox controller. Seeing as how I have four of them, I wanna do that.

• Natasha likes this

Natasha
  • Natasha

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:28 PM

I really will need to research it more, as per usual it's finding the time and patience to sit down and work my way through pages of information and digest it.

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Best Poster [Technology / Programming] 2016
    Best Poster [Programming] 2015
    Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:09 PM

I 'think' some of my original's can be converted to USB surely? (Saturn/N64/PSX) No? Feel's pointless investing in more controllers when I already have the original's in the loft.

Any controller can be converted into a USB controller. Only depends on how much work you want to do. Most of the olden-days controllers were simple serial devices. You can usually get away with COM to USB adapter and a bit of soldering. Rest can be fixed-up in software. Alternatively, hook it up to something like an Arduino or any other MCU with USB out and have it emulate a standard joystick.

Newer controllers are trickier, and it's easier to just solder an MCU with USB right to the buttons/switches/joysticks.

Natasha
  • Natasha

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:12 PM

Any controller can be converted into a USB controller. Only depends on how much work you want to do. Most of the olden-days controllers were simple serial devices. You can usually get away with COM to USB adapter and a bit of soldering. Rest can be fixed-up in software. Alternatively, hook it up to something like an Arduino or any other MCU with USB out and have it emulate a standard joystick.

Newer controllers are trickier, and it's easier to just solder an MCU with USB right to the buttons/switches/joysticks.

Clearly you're someone with more experience than me needless to say. I'm going to look into this shortly when I dig out all my old stuff from the loft. Have a proper look at what I've still got left.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:03 PM

As far as controllers. I've tested retropi with a couple Logitech pc controllers, Xbox one, and ps3. So far I haven't run into a controller that doesn't work.

I only went with a cheap retro controller for retro demo reasons. When I play I use my Logitech because I'm used to the feel and layout.

I burnt my retropi image for a workmate and he had it on him today (ps3 controller). It was a pi 2 and it had no issues with the image or controller.
  • Natasha likes this

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Best Poster [Technology / Programming] 2016
    Best Poster [Programming] 2015
    Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:42 PM

I've picked up a Zero W a few days ago. Couldn't resist trying out RetroPie on it. That thing really did have no problems recognizing anything I connected to it via USB. I ended up settling on PS3 gamepad because I'm used to its feel. I did have some problems configuring bluetooth devices, but I spent very little time with it, so I probably just missed something.

For the record, NES and Atari 2600 games ran great. SNES was borderline unplayable, but I haven't tried the overclock option. Either way, Zero's capabilities are quite a bit lower than these of Pi 3.

• trip and Natasha like this

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:50 PM

Yeah, I have a Logitech controller plugged in since it's a better feel for me.

Don't forget Sega Genesis games...they run great too.

Bonus feature with Retropie is being able to add kodi as a node. Yay!

Non-Fun pi stuff: I've been using bricks (brix, brik,...) at work for digital signage and other public big board applications. I just bought a handful of model 3b pi(s) to use in place of $100 brix. Still just selling POC but I'm having fun.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:52 PM

2 storiea:
Short one first. I finished my 2 POCs for work. 1 just loads a full screen VLC running an .mp4 video for digital signage - Running on Jessie lite. The other is a dot net app the uses an http feed for a dynamic data based digital sign (think airport arrival sign) - running on iOT.

But here is the last piece of my favorite home project. My super console (plus kodi) is now 100% and in a case and all.

Na1jJRT.jpg

XITrKjf.jpg

tpuQQys.jpg

Feel free to see it get turned on.
https://www.youtube....h?v=SOitdcL-A5M
  • K^2, uNi and Nelly2K like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users