Photo

Phobias

220 replies to this topic
4 Bagger
  • 4 Bagger

Malapropos

• Members

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:27 PM

I know there was a topic similar to this in 2009, but it never took off really and since then, new members have joined. There is a significant difference between being scared of something, and having a real phobia of something.

To be honest, I don't think I have a true "phobia" myself, but I can't stand the sight of some insects such as cockroaches; but I wouldn't run a mile if I saw one. I do however, know people who have "unusual" phobias, such as I know a girl who is physically afraid of feet and she cannot even touch her own or others. I also know a man who is scared of mirrors and can't stand the sight of things that are in a mirror's reflection.

I remember watching a programme a while back and it included people with the most unusual and unheard of phobias; such as a lady who was afraid of peas and an elderly man who was afraid of bread, and could not eat it, or even look at it.

So I was wondering, is there anybody here on the forums that has a true phobia of something, or are just really scared of something? smile.gif

Chunkyman
  • Chunkyman

Foot Soldier

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:38 PM

Spiders. I f*cking hate spiders.

Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:42 PM

Spiders and clowns. I don't know anyone with an unusual phobia I think my mum's is strange though - she hates fish in general. The day I get her to go to an aquarium is the day the world ends.

AreXi
  • AreXi

Quack Quack

• Members

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:55 PM

Trypophobia. That's pretty much the only one.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE (AreXi @ Friday, Jun 15 2012, 15:55)

I think I have the opposite of that, I've always been fascinated by stuff like bone marrow and surinam toads. Don't get me wrong, surinam toads are gross as f*ck and I get goosebumps looking at them but at the same time I can't turn away.

Anyway, I don't know if I can call it a phobia but I absolutely cannot stand cockroaches.

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:51 PM

I'm starting to develop Slammanophobia.

bread
  • bread

Grown conventionally and organically worldwide

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:02 PM

I have Blattodephobia which is a fear of cockroaches. I am highly frightened by them. I would also say I have a mild case of entomophobia as I am scared of quite a few insects.

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:03 PM

Thanatophobia.

I always try to be super-careful. I try not to indulge in sports or activities that involve a certain amount of risk. Still, it's not enough to get over that... that feeling of uncertainty.

AnotherDave
  • AnotherDave

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:05 PM

I don't do at all well with needles, so much so that when I had blood taken not too long ago I passed out. I wouldn't call that a phobia tough, as I'm not scared of needles, I just don't have a great record when they're jabbed in me. It's strange because I'm not the least bit squeamish.

The only actual phobia I have that I can think of is claustrophobia, specifically the idea of getting stuck in narrow caves and the like. I'm fine with anything man-made. Even watching The Descent gave me the willies. Brains are odd, or at least my brain is.

na89340qv0n34b09q340
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340

• Members
  • Saint-Martin

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:23 PM

I went through the Wikipedia list and diagnosed myself.

Pyrophobia (fire),
Scopophobia (Being stared at),
Telephone phobia (Making/Taking Phone calls),
Ranidaphobia (Frogs),
Blattodephobia (Roaches).

I have a weird relationship with acrophobia (heights), and kenophobia (wide open spaces / nothingness). I could manage (and would love) being in an open field with nobody around (like the poppy field in The Wizard of Oz), or being 20 stories up in the air, but if taken to extremes they get terrifying (ie: on top of a skyscraper, or stuck in a white void with nothing around at all).

SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

Horny

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:42 PM

Don't think it's really a phobia but I

f*cking

hate

moths

GTA_stu
  • GTA_stu

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:47 PM

I have one definite phobia, and that is a a fear of spiders. That's my strongest one, I'm scared/fearful of other things but I don't know if that fear is strong enough to warrant it being a proper phobia. I don't like being enclosed in small spaces, I had to have an MRI scan for which they basically send you into this tiny tunnel and I hated that. I'm ok with heights as long as it's inside something, I'm happy enough in a plane or looking out the window of a tall building. But I hate being outside, or with nothing in between me and and an edge so I don't like being near a cliff edge or balcony on a tall building.

For some reason I don't like water which isn't clear. I'd hate to be in the North sea, which is clear as mud, but I'm happy swimming in the mediterannean sea which is in contrast very clear. I just don't like that feeling of not knowing what's underneath me. I don't like the thought of a large void either, so I'm happy swimming in shallow water even if I can't touch the floor, but I'd hate to swim in the ocean proper, with thousands of meters between me and the floor. The thought of that just creeps me out.

It's strange how certain things can scare people. I remember watching an episode of Jerry Springer where this woman was terrified of pickles.

Original Light
  • Original Light

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:48 PM Edited by Original Light, 15 June 2012 - 05:52 PM.

I've always hated worms. Any type; earth worms, parasites, etc...
But I do like inch worms.
Does anyone else here find them nasty, ugly, and strange?

When I was little, I used to like them.
Then, one day, out of nowhere, I hated them. I also used to take a shovel cut them into several bits.

Chunkyman
  • Chunkyman

Foot Soldier

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:56 PM

QUOTE (GTA_stu @ Friday, Jun 15 2012, 17:47)

For some reason I don't like water which isn't clear. I'd hate to be in the North sea, which is clear as mud, but I'm happy swimming in the mediterannean sea which is in contrast very clear. I just don't like that feeling of not knowing what's underneath me. I don't like the thought of a large void either, so I'm happy swimming in shallow water even if I can't touch the floor, but I'd hate to swim in the ocean proper, with thousands of meters between me and the floor. The thought of that just creeps me out.

Strange, I hate swimming under those circumstances too.

It's such a weird phobia that I don't even know what to call it.

GTA_stu
  • GTA_stu

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:06 PM

QUOTE (Chunkyman @ Friday, Jun 15 2012, 17:56)
Strange, I hate swimming under those circumstances too.

It's such a weird phobia that I don't even know what to call it.

Well we discovered it, maybe we can name it? How about "stunkyphobia".

I also used to be scared of dogs, I was sitting in a park when I was about 5 and this massive Rottweiler got in my face. It shook me up like a can of fizzy. Then we got a dog, and I hid under my bed at first but after a few days I got over it. Now I love all dogs!

Sup3rman
  • Sup3rman

Legen- wait for it -dary

• Members

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:17 PM

I don't think i have any phobia, i like spider, tight spaces, swimming in every circumstance...
sh*t, i think i'm not afraid of anything, even heights...i love heigths. Sometimes some creatures irritate me, when surprised...like larger insects, but overall i don't even mind touching them.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:34 PM

I have a fear of the dark and claustrophobia.

I'm also quite anxious in general though. I have fears of people following me er trying to steal my sh*t.

Adler
  • Adler

Hello, Smith. ( -`)ノ

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:43 PM

QUOTE (Chunkyman @ Friday, Jun 15 2012, 07:38)

f*ck spiders

And heights. My legs start shaking like crazy and makes me more likely to die falling than if I wasn't afraid of heights.

UNRATED69
  • UNRATED69

suck my hammer

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:57 PM

I'm not really afraid of anything, just extremely wary. I guess the closest phobia would be thanatophobia. No matter what the situation, my mind will always find some way to convince me that I'll die, even if I've had past experiences that have gone fine. It can be really bad at times too. I have to lock my window at night, otherwise I'll worry that someone will come in in the middle of the night and kill me, and that thought makes it impossible to go to sleep. I'm trying to get myself to ignore it, but, like I said, it can be really bad sometimes.

sonnyBlack
  • sonnyBlack

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:05 PM

I'm sure I have many, but I was so shocked to find out that there is actually a telephone phobia! I can take some calls but most of the time when the phone rings I try to pretend it's not there. But my biggest problem is making calls, I can't even order a damn pizza, I'd rather walk to the place and order it in person.

I always thought I was just being strange, but it's relieving to know that it's more common than I originally thought.

Redketman
  • Redketman

Hustler

• Members

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:46 PM

I think I have a snake phobia. They look dangerous and can also be very dangerous! I'm a little bit afraid when I'm in some kind of wood or forest and I would never walk in any place where the grass is high for example. Always when I'm the forest I think of snake presence or snake-bits and am very observant for all the threats, unless there are any clear paths were snakes would be visible for my eyes.

Luckily I have never really seen any snakes and in my country there are only three different kind of snakes. Only one is poisonous and that's the viper. But... ! ... Surprisingly I actually saw one snake today when I walked in a forest-like area. It moved slowly across a path and I barely saw it first! Then it disappeared into the grass. At first I just stood there and didn't know what do to.. And just a moment later I saw an another animal that looked exactly like a snake, also in the middle of the path where you can walk! This wasn't actually a snake, but a Anguis fragilis (slowworm). But now I'm even more observant and cautious. confused.gif

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• The Connection
  • European-Union

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:51 PM

Spiders and being at Sea or on a body of water, as I can't swim. sad.gif

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

♪ Anything 80's ♫

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:35 PM Edited by Andreaz1, 15 June 2012 - 08:38 PM.

QUOTE (AreXi @ Friday, Jun 15 2012, 17:55)

I hate you for making me Google what the hell that meant. Which probably means I have it too.

I am quite claustrophobic but I'd say the biggest phobia I have is heights. Being at any sort of altitude where I can look down and see what is below me really does make me sick to my stomach and my legs are suddenly made of jelly. Thank God I'm not very tall.

[edit:] The post above me made me realize another one I have. Open waters. Makes me feel even more sick than heights and I have absolutely no idea why. I couldn't even do the missions involving swimming and diving in San Andreas.

4 Bagger
  • 4 Bagger

Malapropos

• Members

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:03 PM

QUOTE (GTA_stu @ Friday, Jun 15 2012, 18:47)
I don't like being enclosed in small spaces, I had to have an MRI scan for which they basically send you into this tiny tunnel and I hated that.

My Grandad had an MRI scan and he isn't even claustrophobic, but he said that it was the worst thing he had ever done.

@sonnyBlack: I have to agree with you there about the "telephone phobia", (don't know that actual name for it.) I hate making phone calls to people, especially people I have never spoke to before; I tend to stutter and sound like a blubbering idiot. I remember about 6 months ago, I had to phone a man up to place an order for a new bowling ball; even though I was excited of the thought of the new bowling ball, it took me about 4 days from receiving his number, and then finally making the call. The call didn't go too bad actually. biggrin.gif

AreXi
  • AreXi

Quack Quack

• Members

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE (Outcast @ Friday, Jun 15 2012, 18:21)
QUOTE (AreXi @ Friday, Jun 15 2012, 15:55)

I think I have the opposite of that, I've always been fascinated by stuff like bone marrow and surinam toads. Don't get me wrong, surinam toads are gross as f*ck and I get goosebumps looking at them but at the same time I can't turn away.

I have no idea how it originated, all that kind of stuff just make me feel REALLY nauseated. Seriously, even small bubbles that are bunched together in foam make me feel queasy.

S5L3T0
  • S5L3T0

Trick

• Members

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:09 PM

QUOTE (Chunkyman @ Friday, Jun 15 2012, 15:38)

Motherf*cking spiders.

ToniForelli
  • ToniForelli

Tap Tap Tap! *Troll food*. Umad?

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:18 PM

Decidophobia - one of the biggest fears
Emetophobia - always think that my stomatch will get out from my mouth cry.gif
Homophobia - don't get me started at!
Spheksophobia - those little stingy bastards make me hide.

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE (zoo3891 @ Friday, Jun 15 2012, 17:23)
Ranidaphobia (Frogs)

This. F*cking frogs man. They can f*ck rrrrrriiiiiggght off. Doesn't help that the garden at my mam's house has an army of them.

I think I used to be an emetophobe (fear of vomiting) when I was younger too. If I ever felt nauseous I'd get really anxious about being sick and feel even worse. Then I started drinking, and now it's just that thing that'll happen on a Sunday morning every couple of weeks, depending on how my bank balance looked the previous evening.

UtricularEwe001
  • UtricularEwe001

I am a Pirate

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:33 PM

I think i have only one phobia which is Acrophobia ~ Fear of heights

Jake
  • Jake

Vagina Mine

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:10 PM

I don't like swimming in deep waters where I can't see what is underneath me. Creeps me right the f*ck out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users