Photo

Posting restrictions

15 replies to this topic
leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

The boatman stays with the boat.

• Members

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:20 PM

So a few minutes in the V forum got me thinking. I know the word filter for "IB4TL" has already been discussed (and I still think it's a great idea) but what about forcing new users to have 15-25 posts before they can create a topic? I feel like half of the new members we get join purely to repost a 'leak' in the V forum. Forcing them to have posts first would force them to to actually look through the forum a bit before creating their thread, killing two birds with one stone. First, if they think they're the first one to see something and are joining to post it, chances are it's already been posted and forcing them to post in topics first will most likely allow them to see that it's already been posted. And as an added bonus, forcing new members to add to current topics before posting their own would deter people from joining just to post some repeat or spam topic.

Another idea I had was to prevent people from posting nothing but a smilie or picture. I feel that could greatly help cut down on the spam in the V forum.

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada
  • Best Forum Ledby 2011
    Best Forum Ledby 2010
    GTANet Contribution Award
    GTANet Helpfulness Award

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:27 PM

Yeah, it might help reduce the spam, but between the five of us who babysit the kids in there, we've got a pretty good handle on things. Plus it's not really fair to all the others who join and want to discuss things reasonably.

Prometheus
  • Prometheus

• None

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:31 PM

It may lead to them spamming so as to reach 15-25 posts just to create a new topic.

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

• Members

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE (Ryan @ Wednesday, Jun 13 2012, 15:27)
Plus it's not really fair to all the others who join and want to discuss things reasonably.

In all fairness, there's not really anything that be discussed reasonably about V that doesn't already have multiple topics devoted to it. I feel like a lot of people join, repost some fake leak, then leave because the only experience they have is being attacked by all of the f*cktards in that forum. Forcing them to have a few posts first could not only help them to find an existing topic on the matter, but would also help them understand the way the forum works before they start creating a hundred topics, and as such, they'd feel more like a part of the forum and would be more likely to become a level headed long term user of the forum.

Maybe just set some restrictions in place until V is released?

It may lead to them spamming so as to reach 15-25 posts just to create a new topic.

Then make sure to let them know that anyone seen spamming to gain posts will be banned on sight.

Original Light
  • Original Light

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:41 PM

They said it would make members not want to join or something like that, but in different words.
But then to think of it, don't we have enough members?
I think it's a good idea...

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

• Members

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:42 PM

QUOTE (Original Light @ Wednesday, Jun 13 2012, 15:41)
They said it would make members not want to join or something like that, but in different words.
But then to think of it, don't we have enough members?
I think it's a good idea...

The only members that it would deter from joining are the members who join to post one repeat topic and then leave.

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada
  • Best Forum Ledby 2011
    Best Forum Ledby 2010
    GTANet Contribution Award
    GTANet Helpfulness Award

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:45 PM

Big deal if something gets posted multiple times. A forum is meant to be used to discuss things, not confine every single subject to one topic. You like to frequently report topics because there is already a topic about it. If there is a topic about it on the same page I can understand, but if it's any older than that big deal. I'm not going to lock a topic and give the topic starter a link to a topic about the same thing that is months old. Let them post whatever they want. We're there to moderate the discussion, not hinder it. And those who act like idiots in the forum are dealt with accordingly.

Waddy
  • Waddy

Gods foster son.

• None

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:47 PM

Its a forum, it is a bit of software which lets users make topics and ask questions, then discuss.
There should be no restrictions, never have been, never will be.

Out of the many members joining each day, some just want a quick answer, thats what we are here for.

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

• Members

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:54 PM

Big deal if something gets posted multiple times. A forum is meant to be used to discuss things, not confine every single subject to one topic. You like to frequently report topics because there is already a topic about it. If there is a topic about it on the same page I can understand, but if it's any older than that big deal. I'm not going to lock a topic and give the topic starter a link to a topic about the same thing that is months old. Let them post whatever they want. We're there to moderate the discussion, not hinder it. And those who act like idiots in the forum are dealt with accordingly.

My problems with the repeat topics is that it breaks up information. You end up having some starting a topic to get opinions on an idea, and everyone's already given their opinions on that idea in ten previous topics. Another problem is when there is actually new input on a topic, it's now broken up into multiple threads, making it harder for people to find what they're looking for, encouraging even more topics to be started.
Then you're got the fact that many repeat topics are about a single idea, rather than a subject, so anyone that has a different idea on the same subject then thinks they have to post their own topic, even further disorganizing the forum.

There should be no restrictions, never have been, never will be.

I don't see how flood control and the inability to make a blank post is any different from preventing users from posting nothing but a smilie or facepalm macro.

sonnyBlack
  • sonnyBlack

Rest your trigger on my finger

• Members

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:38 PM

There's more to this place than just the V forum though. What about those new members that have a question to ask outside of the V section? Like Waddy said, there are people who register looking for a quick answer. If they're not able to make their thread right away, they might thread hijack and post their question in other threads, which would break up that discussion, especially if the user is annoying and starts a flame war. Or they might just spam until they can post their own topics, probably resulting in a newbie getting banned. Then again they might just leave altogether.

So I see no real change coming from this. Imo it may fix one problem, but it'll create another in its place.

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:17 PM

You're putting all the new members into one boat by doing this though, and as mentioned, not every new member signs up just for the V section. This is a general GTA forum, and people could be registering for help on any of the titles. Then you have the members who are making new accounts and whatnot.

It's a good idea on the whole, but really you're only trying to combat one main problem, which is why there are 5 moderators in place to help deal with all of this. Obviously it's going to be a problem at the moment, since R* have posted one trailer and nothing else, so every GTA fan out there is making the most of every little bit of 'information' they find, and I doubt they'd do a search to see if someone else has posted it before them.

Plus you're on about people who make pointless topics. Wouldn't these people be the same ones who'd just spam their way to the specified post count anyway, just to be allowed to make a topic of their own?

Dr. John
  • Dr. John

Women and Wine

• Members
  • India

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:30 AM

Just vanish the user posted image button for newbies in GTA V Section... They could still discuss in others topic.

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:45 AM

QUOTE (Dr. John13 @ Thursday, Jun 14 2012, 08:30)
Just vanish the user posted image button for newbies in GTA V Section... They could still discuss in others topic.

Uhm, basically what the OP was on about then? To make the button 'vanish' would mean having to place all the newbies within their own group upon registration, and that's what the OP was asking to have done, so that they couldn't make a new topic until they reach a specific post amount.

Dr. John
  • Dr. John

Women and Wine

• Members
  • India

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:52 AM

QUOTE (Butters 2011 @ Thursday, Jun 14 2012, 14:15)

Uhm, basically what the OP was on about then? To make the button 'vanish' would mean having to place all the newbies within their own group upon registration, and that's what the OP was asking to have done, so that they couldn't make a new topic until they reach a specific post amount.

It would be more like a Temporary Ban. We get one (More likely) when we are newbie and we had to wait for 10-60 mins to post anything else.

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:09 AM

QUOTE (Dr. John13 @ Thursday, Jun 14 2012, 08:52)

It would be more like a Temporary Ban. We get one (More likely) when we are newbie and we had to wait for 10-60 mins to post anything else.

No, a temp ban is controlled by the staff, and the length of the ban is decided by the member of staff who hands it out. Plus, a ban stops members from posting anything at all, so what would be the point of registering an account if you aren't allowed to post anything? The only way to make it so newbies can't make a new topic is to put them all within a newly created group that restricts certain features given to regular members, of which has already been discussed in this topic.

Dr. John
  • Dr. John

Women and Wine

• Members
  • India

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:16 AM

QUOTE (Butters 2011 @ Thursday, Jun 14 2012, 14:39)
QUOTE (Dr. John13 @ Thursday, Jun 14 2012, 08:52)

of which has already been discussed in this topic.

Sorry, didn't read all the posts. But, do we have any choice? Only those will like this who don't like to see retards. Others will say it's is injustice and this would be very bad for this site. Anyways, if Admins think this will help them, it's on otherwise we have be ignorant and let the Babysitters of GTA V Forum handle it, of which has already been discussed in this topic.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users