Guild Wars 2

128 replies to this topic
Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Olympics

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE (Remix @ Saturday, Aug 25 2012, 13:14)
QUOTE (Rebel @ Saturday, Aug 25 2012, 13:11)
QUOTE (Remix @ Saturday, Aug 25 2012, 13:06)
Servers are down Rebel. sad.gif

I just did a quick google because of the issue I had, and I've found that if you've already had access to the beta (and already paid for the game before release) then you get a 5 day head start from the 25th (which is today) And people who have just pre ordered the game (only money taken when its actually sent to you) means you only get to start playing on the 27th with a 1 day head start access. Is this sh*t actually true? So basically I can't actually even install GW2 until the 27th?

I was under the impression that as long as you pre-order(ed) it before the 28th you will be able to play. Heck, I bought it a few hours before the servers went live and I've been able to play.

The game is released on the 28th for everyone who didn't pre-order it, but I don't really see the point as anyone who wanted to play the game surely would've bought it by now...

You won't be able to download it while the servers are down, so just hang in there! tounge.gif

I've just done some digging around Amazon since thats where it came from, and it looks like they don't have access to the 1 day head start let alone the 3 day head start. Seems to me like I have a game that I can't even install until the 28th which is kind of bullsh*t. I'd rather of not gotten it early at all then.

Remix
  • Remix

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE (Rebel @ Saturday, Aug 25 2012, 13:21)
I've just done some digging around Amazon since thats where it came from, and it looks like they don't have access to the 1 day head start let alone the 3 day head start. Seems to me like I have a game that I can't even install until the 28th which is kind of bullsh*t. I'd rather of not gotten it early at all then.

Damn, that sucks. Well, if it's any consolation, I've been tapping refresh for a few hours now and the servers are still down. tounge.gif

I'll assume that there will be server issues leading up til the release anyway - there always is.

Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Olympics

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:28 PM

To be honest it was a surprise I got it through the post today. I really wish I hadn't considering I can't even install the damn thing let alone play it. I'll try again 1 day before the official release to see if anything happens. But I doubt it. Do you have a link for those server lists by the way? I'll take a look through and see which name takes my fancy before I can even play it ha.

Remix
  • Remix

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:31 PM

QUOTE (Rebel @ Saturday, Aug 25 2012, 13:28)
To be honest it was a surprise I got it through the post today. I really wish I hadn't considering I can't even install the damn thing let alone play it. I'll try again 1 day before the official release to see if anything happens. But I doubt it. Do you have a link for those server lists by the way? I'll take a look through and see which name takes my fancy before I can even play it ha.

Give it a re-try when the servers go back up because I don't see what they stand to gain from only allowing people who pre-ordered the digital version of the game the chance to play early.

Here's the list of server worlds. I'm on Ehmry Bay.

You've got seven days to settle on a server before you have to pay to change servers, just fyi. smile.gif

Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Olympics

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:38 PM

Thanks for the list of servers. Since I'm EU I'll probably go with Blacktide, but not 100% sure yet. How do you actually know when the servers are back up and running?

Remix
  • Remix

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:42 PM

Yeah, I'm Aussie but my mates basically insisted I go on that server.

They use their twitter to update players on server status:
https://twitter.com/GuildWars2

Slingaa
  • Slingaa

Unbowed, unbent, unbroken.

• Members

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:07 PM

Remix, is this what happens when you launch GW2?

Remix
  • Remix

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE (Slingaa @ Saturday, Aug 25 2012, 14:07)
Remix, is this what happens when you launch GW2?

Yeah, it is.

Whenever stuff like this happens I usually just stalk Tumblr to make sure I'm not the only one with the issue.
http://www.tumblr.co...ed/guild wars 2

Also;
user posted image

Might head to bed soon.

Slingaa
  • Slingaa

• Members

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:43 PM

Launcher got an update, I think the servers are back online.

Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Olympics

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:40 PM

Got home from work and ended up watching tv until midnight. Put in the disc again and it actually installed....except now its making me download about 61 thousand damn files...please can someone explain the point of giving me 2 CD's then? haha. I can't make an account/put in my serial code though since there's errors on that web page. Its cool though, I read on the twitter thing that there were a ton of issues. I'll just do it sometime tomorrow or when its fixed. Looks like I'll be having my PC on all night to download the now 60 thousand files. Thank god I have no early access because I wouldn't be able to play now with how long it will take to download!

Remix
  • Remix

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:30 AM

Level 10 now, loving the same so far.

Looks like it might just be us three (or four?) playing!

Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Olympics

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:47 AM

Well I can't play, downloaded the update when I finally got to install and just created an account however my Play button is officially off limits until the 28th it seems.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Zaibatsu
  • Japan

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:00 AM

Just reached level 20. Love this game. There's just so much going on and the maps are so vast. Playing a dual pistol engineer, and kicking ass! (Desolation btw)

Slingaa
  • Slingaa

• Members

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:23 PM

Anyone else think that levelling is really slow, or is it just me?

Audiophile
  • Audiophile

Soothe us with sweet lies...

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:05 AM

I finally started playing. So far, I'm a level 5 human warrior in the Blackgate server. I was in Ehmry Bay first but my friend made me transfer to Blackgate.

@Slingaa

Yeah, it is if you just do the main storyline for your character. The heart quests should give you quick XP. That's what I plan to do next.

By the way, in game I am Lakewolf. Someone stole the username I wanted so I had to use that. confused.gif

Remix
  • Remix

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:36 PM

This game is starting to frustrate me...

I still can't wrap my head around the camera/movement/strafe controls (which all sort of intertwine in some way) so combat isn't as enjoyable as it should be. Also, I hate how my level is lowered depending on my location. I understand that they wanted to make the game difficult, but when I've leveled up to level 20 and go back to continue my story quest (and ultimately get lowered to level 14) it's incredibly frustrating dying over and over.

Eh, I've probably just been playing too long.

Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Olympics

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:56 PM

Your level gets lowered in different areas? The hell? So lets say for general sake I'm 20 and I'm in a level 20 zone. The second I step into a level 10 zone, they bring my character level to 10? And then obviously just back to my level 20 once I leave the lower level area?

Remix
  • Remix

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:03 PM

QUOTE (Rebel @ Monday, Aug 27 2012, 14:56)
Your level gets lowered in different areas? The hell? So lets say for general sake I'm 20 and I'm in a level 20 zone. The second I step into a level 10 zone, they bring my character level to 10? And then obviously just back to my level 20 once I leave the lower level area?

Yep. Believe me, it's incredibly frustrating.

Doing a quest now and even though I am level 20 I'm lowered to level 14 and have to beat enemies that are level 16.

Slingaa
  • Slingaa

• Members

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:03 PM

QUOTE (Rebel @ Monday, Aug 27 2012, 15:56)

Yes, and it's annoying as hell. Really not enjoying this game as leveling is very slow and boring, the lowering of levels, the storylines aren't engrossing, the art style and the fact that I can't choose what to say in dialogue.

Remix
  • Remix

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE (Slingaa @ Monday, Aug 27 2012, 15:03)
QUOTE (Rebel @ Monday, Aug 27 2012, 15:56)

Yes, and it's annoying as hell. Really not enjoying this game as leveling is very slow and boring, the lowering of levels, the storylines aren't engrossing, the art style and the fact that I can't choose what to say in dialogue.

You don't like the art style?! cry.gif

In regards to slow leveling, I was reading a post on the unofficial forums and the users all suggest doing events in the area rather than attacking enemies individually. I'd have to agree with them, too. I realised early on that any progress made on the game (level wise) is done through events in areas and discovering locations.

I'm going to keep playing for a few more days before I make a decision on whether I'll play this long-term or not though. I feel like I've already explored everything that this game has to offer and I've only been playing for three days. Seems like the game consists of discovering areas and doing simple quests to level up, in-turn unlocking story missions. Rinse and repeat.

Audiophile
  • Audiophile

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE (Remix @ Monday, Aug 27 2012, 14:36)

I still can't wrap my head around the camera/movement/strafe controls (which all sort of intertwine in some way) so combat isn't as enjoyable as it should be. Also, I hate how my level is lowered depending on my location. I understand that they wanted to make the game difficult, but when I've leveled up to level 20 and go back to continue my story quest (and ultimately get lowered to level 14) it's incredibly frustrating dying over and over.

Are you serious?

That sounds really bad....I am already getting frustrated at the leveling system and I am only level 5. You're telling me it gets worse? lol.gif

Remix
  • Remix

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:50 PM

QUOTE (Audiophile @ Monday, Aug 27 2012, 15:31)
QUOTE (Remix @ Monday, Aug 27 2012, 14:36)

Are you serious?

That sounds really bad....I am already getting frustrated at the leveling system and I am only level 5. You're telling me it gets worse? lol.gif

Depends on what you define 'worse'. I'm going to assume that a lot of people like the leveling system (and how you get de-leveled in specific zones) because it's constantly challenging and theoretically making every area in the game end-game content. I however prefer attempting a challenge, getting absolutely destroyed, and then coming back at a later time when I have leveled up appropriately. The feeling of "yeah, I'm stronger now" is a good feeling and it really doesn't exist in Guild Wars 2.

There's a strong lack of sense of progression...

Audiophile
  • Audiophile

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:52 PM

I am exactly the same way. I want my leveling up to count for something when I come back to older areas.

Wow. I wish I knew this before I pre-ordered back in May. confused.gif

Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Olympics

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:08 PM

Sucks damn balls by the way they put it. Like you guys, I've worked my ass off levelling anyway, when I go back to lower level content (like in WoW) then it means I can just blast through those quests in that area without any issues - get the achievements needed and go back to raiding. Eh I'll find out for myself tomorrow smile.gif

@Remix - I agree with you about feeling like you've already seen everything/its a pain in the arse to just collect a quest kill a bunch of stuff then go hand it back in to just level up. I think these types of games are really much more focused on end game content (once you hit the last level) at least it is like that in WoW anyway. So I'm kinda used to just going through the motions of levelling as fast as possible to get to the end stuff.

Remix
  • Remix

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:03 AM

QUOTE (Rebel @ Monday, Aug 27 2012, 17:08)
@Remix - I agree with you about feeling like you've already seen everything/its a pain in the arse to just collect a quest kill a bunch of stuff then go hand it back in to just level up. I think these types of games are really much more focused on end game content (once you hit the last level) at least it is like that in WoW anyway. So I'm kinda used to just going through the motions of levelling as fast as possible to get to the end stuff.

Ah, fair enough. I'm a total noob when it comes to MMO's so I'm not really sure what to expect haha.

I've been playing with some of my mates, but it's almost less enjoyable playing them because they're so focused on completing everything as quickly as possible, with or without the party nearby.

Think I might just walk around and explore the world today - it really is one of the most beautiful games I've ever played!

Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Olympics

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:14 AM

Heh yeah, MMO's are really odd with how they actually want you to play...to me they seem to try and force your opinion on the game when you've not even gotten the chance for the end game experience. I know with me, levelling gets f*cking tedious after awhile so I can totally see what you're talking about. Especially people who want to zoom through everything and not really take in the work that has been done.

Just about to log in and play actually. Was going to get up for the actual release time, but then realised its probably going to be impossible to play or even get on, so I had a nice lie in smile.gif

Bernard Jazz
  • Bernard Jazz

Dud dats not gas, dats a chikn.

• Members

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:03 PM

I quite like how you're levelled down, it stops high level players from going back to low level areas and decimating everything in one hit and ruining the game for everyone else.
Also, if you're having trouble levelling just keep doing dynamic events, crafting (you can get a truck load of exp through this) and World versus World PvP (the exp. from this is mental).

Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Olympics

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:38 PM

I'm level 5 after playing for a couple hours. I'm still really confused over a lot of things, but I guess I could read up on it somewhere. How many professions can you have, and where the hell do you learn them?

Bernard Jazz
  • Bernard Jazz

Dud dats not gas, dats a chikn.

• Members

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:52 PM

Once you choose your profession during character creation then that character is locked as that profession, you can't take on a secondary profession like in GW1.

Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Olympics

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:59 PM Edited by Rebel, 28 August 2012 - 02:24 PM.

Uhhh, I don't even know what profession I picked during creating my character? haha I know the gave me a bunch of options after creating my look, but I don't know what I picked? Also just had to download another patch while playing, now I can't seem to log onto my account & play now. Telling me its my firewall/virus stuff but that's not the case considering I was playing with them just fine at the start of the day.

Mmm, think I'll go eat and come back to it later and see if its resolved itself.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users