Photo

GTA 3/VC PC-Severe framerate drop on Win7

2 replies to this topic
TheJovialCerealBox
  • TheJovialCerealBox

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:23 AM

I recently came to own Grand Theft Auto 3 and Grand Theft Auto Vice City through the nifty Steam service smile.gif

However, when trying to run these games, I experience some dreadful framerate drops/stutters. I don't own a particularly high-end laptop as of the time writing this, which is why I set San Andreas's "Model/Texture Detail" to low, and keep anti-aliasing off.

Obviously, GTA 3 and VC have smaller maps and lower-end graphics, they're just smaller games in general, specs-wise.

I've tried running in compatibility mode, file cache checks (via the steam library) and even creating an alternative .exe with a NO-CD. And, of course, I have run the game with my graphics on the lowest settings, but the lag prevails.

I have a rather bad graphics card (don't laugh, but it's an Intel Express Chipset Family card suicidal.gif ) and quite an average processor (Intel Centrino 2). I'm running Windows 7 Home and have 2 gigabytes of RAM. The actual computer model is a Dell latitude E6400, but internet searches turn up nothing on issues with this particular model. I am upgrading to Alienware by early next year, but would still like to play my GTA games now tounge.gif

If anyone can offer help or needs more computer-spec details, please respond.

-Dan

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

Anything 80's

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:13 AM

QUOTE (TheJovialCerealBox @ Wednesday, Jun 6 2012, 10:23)
which is why I set San Andreas's "Model/Texture Detail" to low, and keep anti-aliasing off.

Hang on, are you saying you can run San Andreas on this laptop but not III or VC?

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

巧克力

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:52 AM Edited by spaceeinstein, 12 June 2012 - 01:55 AM.

QUOTE (Andreaz1 @ Wednesday, Jun 6 2012, 04:13)
Hang on, are you saying you can run San Andreas on this laptop but not III or VC?

Being able to run one game doesn't necessarily mean you can run other games...

Steam is probably messing up the games. Have you tried closing all background programs? What resolution are you running the games at? Alienware is a poor choice in my opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users