» «
Photo

Mission 100% Time rquirements

6 replies to this topic
namor
  • namor

Trick

• Members

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:25 PM Edited by namor, 05 June 2012 - 07:50 PM.

The one thing that really pisses me off with TBOGT are the unforgiving and stringent time requirements for some of the missions.

Case in point: there's absolutely no way to get even anywhere close within the time limit in "Bang Bang" without the use of the Buzzard, and that won't be until the story is over.

"Chinese Takeout" is another pain in the arse when it comes to time, particularly when Tony takes his own sweet effin time strolling out of the building while Luis is playing with himself in the car waiting for him - 5 seconds wasted. Still can't get the time for this.

"Dropping In". I really should have gone for the Time requirement on my initial story playthrough. It would have saved so much time boosting a Maverick, flying it to Ray's house, activating the mission and then flying Luis and Timur to the helipad - half a minute saved. Now, during the mission replays, the mission starts with Luis in the car already without being able to prep a chopper at his house, and it's a real effin pain to drive all the way to the helipad where each collision costs a few seconds.

"Corner Kids" is another unforgiving mission. The goons you have to fight are tough, and there are so many of them that the time limit becomes a joke, considering a considerable chunk of it's wasted waiting for Henrique to wander down to the docks at a leisurely stroll, the clock's ticking and there's nothing you can do about it to skip the scene.

By far the worst is "Blog This...", having to drive Gracie (I'd love to but a bullet in that annoying bitch's brainpan) to her house, then to the internet cafe and then try to navigate the web pages and leave, all in 2:30 mins. My idea of hell is spending eternity trying to beat the time on this mission.

F you Rockstar for making such brilliant games but so bloody frustrating. I wonder if the developers have ever tried to play through the mission replays to achieve the time limits?

namor
  • namor

Trick

• Members

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:22 PM

I take back the statement that "Blog This!..." is the worst mission in the game. I'd always failed this by a few seconds - usually accounted for by the slow speed on the internet pages at the tw@ cafe, but...I finally did it with one second to spare.

I now have only two missions in which to beat the time to achieve the 100% in all missions - "Departure Time" and "Dropping In".

The major problem I have in "Dropping In". is getting to the heliport in as fast a time as possible. If I were doing this during the story missions, it would be easy to take a helicopter to Bulgarin's, activate the mission, then fly Timur to the Heliport saving at least 30 seconds on the journey.

I've tried taking a chopper to Bulgarin's and a fast car (Bullet GT) to Bulgarin's and then accessed the replay from the cell phone. Each time the chopper and the car vanish and Luis is left in that piece-of-sh*t car to drive to the heliport. I've even tried phoning Henrique prior to activating the mission, and the doesn't work either. I've driven to the heliport at full throttle (found that the oncoming lane on the bridge is nice and clear), positioned the chopper high over the MeTV building and performed a spectacular HALO onto the pad (chute opened about a second before touchdown), went through all the armed guards like sh*t through a goose, and made a perfect touchdown on the back of the truck, and my time...7 mins 10 seconds.

I did this mission replay in a separate file, spawning the buzzard outside Bulgarin's house and completing the mission in 5 seconds below the requirement, but the achievement towards "Gold Star" won't count since the game recognises the "cheat". Does anyone have any idea how to leave a chopper outside Bulgarin's to use just after the mission starts, it's the only way to shave off half a minute of the time.

namor
  • namor

Trick

• Members

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:09 AM

I cannot believe I didn't see this before. It's so obvious that a blind man with a sack over his head in a dark cellar would have seen it. So unbelievably easy to finish "Dropping In" in just a little over 5 minutes.

Bearing in mind that the bulk of time that's wasted is the journey from Bulgarin's house to the heliport, all I did was get out of the car and hailed the nearest available taxi, then skipped the journey to the heliport, hijacked the taxi once I'd got there and drove it into the marker then to the helicopter.

Well over a minute saved and I could concentrate on not rushing through the MeTV building and losing too much armour or health. Forget the helicopter or Bullet/Turismo, Liberty City Taxis will always get you there on time biggrin.gif

namor
  • namor

Trick

• Members

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:58 AM

Hellfire, Buggery and Damnation! angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif Thought I'd got the "Gold Star" achievement when I completed "Departure Time" within the time limit, but it didn't come up on the screen notify.gif . Checked the stats to see that "Dropping In" was still stuck at 90% so I did it again...only to find that the "Taxi method" will not save your 100% score to the stats.

Apparently Rockstar want yo to do the two-minute drive from Bulgarin's to the helipad in that piece-of-sh*t car. Really should have gone for the time requirement during my initial playthrough when I could have prepared and used a chopper outside Bulgarin's before activating the mission.

I need advice on this chaps, I'm going totally psychotic and dreaming nightmares about this mission (truthfully). This is f*cking with my OCD and about to send me to the little rubber room with the comfy wrap-around waistcoats with the fashionably over-long sleeves panic.gif facedesk.gif

namor
  • namor

Trick

• Members

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:12 PM

I have torn out and eaten all of my hair, I have not had any sleep for the past few days, I have black bags under my eyes that resemble rubbish sacks, I have developed a nervous tic in my face, chewed my fingernails completely off, lost all the sensation in my fingers and thumbs, but have finally beaten the time on this mission, after several days of continuous effort...by ONE measly second.

Time to go to the GP and have him write me a prescription for a cocktail of Valium, Xanax and Lithium. I am going to sleep now for the next 7 days.

Wass
  • Wass

Playa

• Members

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:21 PM

QUOTE (namor @ Tuesday, Jun 12 2012, 12:12)
I have torn out and eaten all of my hair, I have not had any sleep for the past few days, I have black bags under my eyes that resemble rubbish sacks, I have developed a nervous tic in my face, chewed my fingernails completely off, lost all the sensation in my fingers and thumbs, but have finally beaten the time on this mission, after several days of continuous effort...by ONE measly second.

Time to go to the GP and have him write me a prescription for a cocktail of Valium, Xanax and Lithium. I am going to sleep now for the next 7 days.

Well,"Kibbutz number one" did that to me also but it's finally beaten it 100% biggrin.gif

Lancet
  • Lancet

The Shining Knight

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:04 PM

A lot of the problem with time requirements is you need to know and understand the mission. A lot of the missions you've mentioned I've managed to get 100% on in a single attempt in free aim, such as Chinese Takeout, Dropping In, Bang Bang, Corner Kids, and Blog This!... If you're good with driving in the game, it's not much of a problem (although other cars being idiots will screw you up on occasion). And the Oracle given to you for Dropping In is a fine car.

However, you need to be very proficient with vehicle handling in this game. No mission in the game requires setting up with a helicopter beforehand to meet the time req. The ONLY exception is Bang Bang, but that has a trick. On your initial playthrough, you can get a Swift or Maverick BEFORE the mission, park it near Tony's, start the mission, then use it, landing each time to manually throw stickies at the targets. It's harder, but very doable. On replays, you can't start with a heli, but getting the Buzzard is just as quick since you can blow up the last two targets without landing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users