Splinter Cell: Blacklist

153 replies to this topic
The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 2 weeks ago

They're still making the movie. Tom Hardy as Fisher. Doug Liman is directing it. It doesn't sound bad on paper.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 2 weeks ago

The movie's been "in production" since 2005(ish) - CT had a teaser of it on the disc iirc.

Like Assassin's Creed, I doubt it'll come soon, and i doubt it'll be any good. Look at the direction movies go in. Seen "Jack Ryan: OBscure subtitle the film doesn't need?"

Why the need to reboot everything all the time? Why not just continue it? Clancy's got over a dozen books that could be made into films (as good as TSOAF was, it omitted about 70% of the book!)

but i digress

You'll see this in the [Y] topic, Yokel, but as it actually belongs here:

I've been playing Blacklist more lately. Tried the Charlie missions and I've got really pissed with them - again. They're fun at first, but the game just gets stupid.

I failed after the next wave sent six heavy-armoured goons after me - you know the ones you can't shoot or melee unless you do so from hiding or behind. On paper the solution is to sneak up on them. But they will not split up. You can't sneak up on them because they're all together, and by the time you're near one of them, the rest have turned around.

This "wave" concept is very un splinter cell to me. Pretty poor - just throws sh*t at you with no real balance to it. It ends up not being fun anymore. I don't remember a single instance of SC, PD, CT or DA that was such an infuriating and frustrating repetitive and over powered level. Actually, tell a lie, the final battle with Emile in the PS2 version of DA was pretty annoying.

Conviction, however introduced two things.

1 - in a certain mission you're tasked with defending your position against waves of enemies. This was one mission, but it was one instance that marred the game. I only managed to get past it by blowing everything up that i could.

2 - in "infiltration" mode iic, you had to sneak in and take out all enemies. If you were detected, you had to defend against a backup team - a second wave. (Just remember there was a "survival" mode - but i cba to edit this post.

So far the story seems decent, but the characters are as dry as sawdust. I keep hearing "Fisher" say things - in mission, like "This aint good" or something - and I've actually stopped and looked around, asking "who said that?!"

The problem here is that the attacking guards have more dynamic and more action and emotion to their voices than Fisher himself. I know it's flogging a dead horse, but Ironside's departure (whatever the reasons) are largely responsible for this imo. He was Fisher, and always willl be. Tom Hardy is not a bad call in casting for Fisher, but he's still got huge boots to fill. Fisher's such a good character, too; he's got a specific sense of humor, that Ironside pulls off well, but Johnson simply does not. I'm not saying he's a bad actor, but so far in Blacklist, I've seen more emotion from the tri-rotor than i have from Sam. Admittedly, Sam never sat in the corner crying, but there was some moments. The dynamic between Fisher and Lambert or Fisher and Grimm in CT was great - in BL, it's non existent, save awkward moments of tension. I havne't progressed too far yet, but that's mainly because the game's not giving me much incentive to do so tbh.

Flicksy
  • Flicksy

Two Steps From Hell

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

^ From what I heard, Michael Ironside just didn't want to do any more Splinter Cell games. He had to be begged to do the last two. I agree tho, the whole new voice is off putting.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 2 weeks ago

Yeah, pretty much.

Still the problem is simply that in my eyes (or ears) at least no one other than Ironside can voice Fisher. No Ironside=No fisher. I wonder if it might have been better to just introduce a new character. Hell maybe have Ironside voice Fisher as the "Lambert" role. but still, it wouldn't be right. Johnson's just not right for it imo

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users