Splinter Cell: Blacklist

136 replies to this topic
Eagles
  • Eagles

Here we go, kids

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE (Doublepulse @ Tuesday, Aug 27 2013, 15:11)
QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Tuesday, Aug 27 2013, 17:52)
Did they bring back enemy interrogations, hacking minigames, lockpicking and e-mail readings? Because those little things are what made Splinter Cell so enjoyable for me. Not flashy takedowns and shooting.

About the interrogations, I saw there was gameplay scene that showed an interrogation being controlled, but I have not seen it yet.

There aren't any controlled interrogations in this game. The only control you have over the interrogations are whether you want to spare or kill the enemy.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:29 PM

F*ck this game then. I'll just play Chaos Theory when I want my SC fix.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:24 PM

But you don't control interrogations in Chaos Theory either.

And of all the stealth action of the classic SC games, you pick the mini-games as the most enjoyable aspect?

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:49 PM

QUOTE (darthYENIK @ Tuesday, Aug 27 2013, 23:24)

And of all the stealth action of the classic SC games, you pick the mini-games as the most enjoyable aspect?

I wasn't replying just to the post above. It's not about controlling the interrogations.

To me, mini-games are not a separate entity. So I can't say that they are the most enjoyable aspect. Together with other gameplay elements they made Splinter Cell an enjoyable experience. Remove the mini-games and you dumbed down the game. Without them the game doesn't have much to offer besides sneaking around until you reach the end of the level. Opening of bashing the door isn't as fun as lockpicking or using a guard to open it with the retinal scanner. Hacking into computers and reading everyone's e-mail or interrogating guards for passwords and keycodes is far from irrelevant. It made the levels feel more than just boxes filled with stuff. Like real people worked in those buildings. Not being able to interact with your environment makes everything less believable and less immersive.

Cilogy
  • Cilogy

SILL•uh•jee

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:13 AM

Well I finished it and I'll say it's definitely one of the best SC games so far. I still miss the quieter and more intimate feel of Chaos Theory and the other installments, and with Blacklist, the folks at Ubisoft seem to want to move closer to the "Call of Duty aesthetic" (big action sequences and a more militaristic, war feel), which is annoying and detracts from what makes Splinter Cell unique. However this game is so much fun and the storytelling was quite engaging, especially towards the end.

There's a really obnoxious and pointless first person shooter sequence right in the middle of the game. I don't know why the f*ck that's even there, it accomplishes nothing.

The Killa
  • The Killa

Diet Water Please

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:38 AM

Obnoxious, elitist, pretentious, hipster point of view ahead.

I played this game at a friends house. Was the first SC game I've played since CT. It felt very, very action-y. It felt very generic. I really didn't enjoy the new voice actor. I didn't like much anything about it, honestly, to my extreme disappointment. sad.gif

Story seemed somewhat interesting, although it didn't pique my interest for the time I played it. Honestly, it just made me want to re-play the older games.

Doublepulse
  • Doublepulse

I will turn your life upside down!

• The Yardies

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:52 AM

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Wednesday, Aug 28 2013, 12:49)
QUOTE (darthYENIK @ Tuesday, Aug 27 2013, 23:24)

I wasn't replying just to the post above. It's not about controlling the interrogations.

To me, mini-games are not a separate entity. So I can't say that they are the most enjoyable aspect. Together with other gameplay elements they made Splinter Cell an enjoyable experience. Remove the mini-games and you dumbed down the game. Without them the game doesn't have much to offer besides sneaking around until you reach the end of the level. Opening of bashing the door isn't as fun as lockpicking or using a guard to open it with the retinal scanner. Hacking into computers and reading everyone's e-mail or interrogating guards for passwords and keycodes is far from irrelevant. It made the levels feel more than just boxes filled with stuff. Like real people worked in those buildings. Not being able to interact with your environment makes everything less believable and less immersive.

You hit the nail with your post. Interaction with the environment is what made the game feel more real and more fun.

Stealth games often battle with giving you multiple choices while trying to give you the ability to interact with the environment.

The thing I loved about older games is, while it still gve you choices but emphasizing on stealth, the less obvious seemed to be more fun. I usually would like to take enemies hostage and take them to darkness after interrogations and either head shot the guy coming or knock the hostage.

Blacklist gives you the stealth, gives you the tools, but lacks interaction, making the characters feel like dummies.

badboy_zay
  • badboy_zay

:)

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:41 AM

now that you mention it... one thing that Splinter Cell series has lost is the good old stealth and explore. since Conviction, the game has changed into "stealth to the next object point" gameplay. (still, if I not wrong, in Conviction you have to explore the level by yourself in some levels)
in Blacklist, it's not hard to stealth through a huge level because you already know where you should head next, all you need to do is get to the object safely without an alarm, while in the previous games you have to completely rely on your own instinct to explore the level. and to explore the level using your insinct and skill by all yourself is what made the previous games so goddamn amazing. Blacklist even though manages to bring back some Chaos Theory feeling and fixed some problems Conviction had, but it still already lost the spirit of the good old Splinter Cell games. if there is one thing this gaming generation has lost, is the feeling of complete a game's level by yourself, not the game complete it for you.

as I said before, Blacklist is a good game, but it's also one of many Ubisoft's games suffered from the casualization of gaming, which sadly f*cked up the uniqueness of a game.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Forum Drunk

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:03 AM

Had my doubts about this being an official Splinter Cell addition since Ironside and others are gone but after playing acouple hours, I feel so immersed into it and glad that I BOUGHT it and not just rented it. It's truly a great game so far.. the options you have with Blacklist is just great, though I'm still sad about the new voice actor and it not really fitting the Fisher persona.. it's growing on me.

It's still a Splinter Cell to add to your collection if you haven't already, once you begin playing, you can't stop. I played until about 3am this morning and didn't have one WTF moment but all of them were HOLY sh*t THIS IS AWESOME! Definitely recommend this.. truly.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:36 AM

I finished it. It's definitely a step in the right direction from Conviction, and feels a lot more like the classic SC, but it's still not there.

I think a big part of the reason is, the classic games were about intelligence gathering, where at this game still feels like it's about a soldier. Someone who is in there to kill. I think I enjoyed some of the side 4E missions more than a lot of the single player campaign missions, because the were more like the classics, especially Grim's missions.

I will agree with you GTAvanja, that it was a great feeling to hack a computer, find an email detailing where a new way to get into a hard spot is, or the password for a keypad. That felt more authentic then just opening a door.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:50 PM Edited by The Yokel, 3 weeks ago.

What's up with everybody's eyes? Facial expressions in this game are weirder than Bioware faces.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:01 AM

Nooooo, you didn't like it? That's such a surprise.

And I disagree with practically everything you said. But that's cool. It takes diff'rent stroke to move the world.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Forum Drunk

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:49 AM Edited by GunWrath, 03 September 2013 - 09:47 AM.

I'm right now at the Infiltrate Guantanamo Bay mission .. so I figured I had some opinions on the game so far.

Of course it's not the original Splinter Cell I've played 11yrs ago nor any titles from years back but Double Agent wasn't like the firsts either. Each Splinter Cell always had a different route with stealth and achieving your objectives. I liked Conviction but I didn't 'love' it.. so far with Blacklist, at first prior to release I wasn't pleased because of the new voice actor and the way Fisher looked as opposed to other SC's but throughout playing the game, I rather enjoy it and feel more home to Splinter Cell than I did with Conviction. Which we all know Conviction took a different route, more than just stealth but a hardass Fisher with vengeance. But Blacklist feels more of Pandora Tomorrow/Chaos Theory mixture to me.

The story is intriguing, not the best.. but keeps you going and attached to a certain point. I like Briggs, Charlie, Grim and Sadiq seems like a genuine terrorist, so it's rather engaging and easy to keep playing. The options you have with your gear, gadgets, suits, etc is fun and keeps you playing to successfully complete each objective to gather more points in return for money. So far, I'd put Blacklist in my Top 3 of SC games, I think we all just grew up or been so used to the old Fisher that we aren't quite adjusting to the new Fisher and the new direction that Ubisoft is going.

I wonder about Fisher's future though, obviously he's getting older and there will be a point where they can't continue to make Fisher the lead guy, so who would you take over? Briggs? Eh, I'm skeptical about that, not because he's black but I don't really feel Briggs but we really don't know him honestly. Perhaps a SC where a new agent joins 4E and Fisher continues the role of an actual Commander or what have you and your new mentor. Just weird because in Blacklist, the aging Fisher (even though he looks in his early 30's for some odd reason) was able to be as agile as he was in the early days.. I love Fisher, don't get me wrong but I believe it's time to retire him, especially since Ironside isn't there.. that is what nearly blew my chances of buying this one. Time to bring in the new generation.

Anyways, we'll see how the last missions go, digging it so far.. minus those annoying f*cking guard dogs! KILL EM WHEN YOU GET A CHANCE! little f*cking hitlers

Edit:: Finished that sh*t son.. whew, that ending was nice, left it open for another one!

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Forum Drunk

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:03 AM

f*ck it, I'm bumping..

I finished Single like last week or so.. I finally turned it back on to finish the solo/coop missions out of drunk curiosity.. and I get about 30mins into a level, finally get spotted, starts me at the beginning.. any f*cking ways.. anyone on Xbox360 with Blacklist willing to linc up and help a dude out? I mean sh*t..

Let me know.. I'm playing now.. just to have fun.. but I rather beat these missions legitimately if able. Thanks

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:08 AM

I would have, but I got it from GameFly, and sent it back already.

And I don't have a mic, so it's kind of hard to play this co-op.  Possible, but hard.

Cyper
  • Cyper

Liberty City Lover Since 2001

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:57 PM

It looks like absolute rubbish.

The game really shouldn't be called Splinter Cell.

Doublepulse
  • Doublepulse

I will turn your life upside down!

• The Yardies

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:33 PM

Yea, PC is easier to co-op without a mic, since you got text chat as well. I haven't finished all the side missions yet, but some of them definitely are more entertaining than few of the story missions.

I am trying to ghost the missions as much as possible.

Spies vs Mercs is fun as well, it is hard to get this balance right though. They give you sonar goggles to see the other players on the map as one of the spies, so it kind of ruins the point of stealth a little if everyone selects Sonar goggles.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users