Photo

Private Lives. Work Lives.

31 replies to this topic
MikeWh
  • MikeWh

Bender

• Members

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:36 PM

Everybody has a right to privacy, everybody has a certain expectation of that right and over the last few days I've been growing increasingly alarmed at the amount of Rockstar Games (and Rockstar North) employees' Facebook profiles posted on this forum.

Now I'm not a moderator, but that doesn't stop me being a decent human being who as a professional in a public facing role, understands why I'd not want the 'customers' in my line of work getting access to my social networking profiles, this is also the same to a friend of mine who works in a retail store. Think twice before posting links Rockstar employees' profiles on non-professional websites such as Facebook or MySpace etc, it's not fair on them.

These individuals work for the company that produce a game we all love, and we cherish that franchise - but that's not an excuse to invade their private lives. After my 12 hours are up I go home and I'm not working anymore - these people are the same - they are NOT working on GTA V 24/7 and likelyhood is they're not posting information to their profiles. They're subject to contractual non-disclosure agreements. Like them I'm subject to laws about disclosure of sensitive information and protected information - so why would I post somebody's full history on my Facebook profile, on the same token, why would they post screens of GTA games to theirs? There's nothing interesting on their profiles, so you don't need to add them and they won't tell you anything so don't message them.

Think about it - if you worked at a doctors surgery and somebody found this out and started asking you for patient details on Facebook would you not feel like your life was being invaded and not at all annoyed and worried by that action? It's a similar principle.

In a nutshell, what I'm saying is simple - FACEBOOK is for their PRIVATE, PERSONAL LIVES, don't invade it - it isn't fair. Now before any of you disregard this thread with "He's not a mod, who does he think he is" - I'm somebody who appreciates the right to a private life and also somebody who's duty bound to act on potential legal breaches - I'm just looking out for everybody here. Leave the employees alone.

I appreciate a large amount of members are under the age of 16 so tend not to consider consequence, but think of the consequences on GTA Forums, Rockstar Games' policies and your lives if you were to send messages to these people on Facebook and they were to report you for it? It'd look terrible! So don't do it, please.

I trust you're mature enough to heed my advice, as it is only such at the moment - if you're not then I feel sorry for you.

r34ld34l
  • r34ld34l

PC Gamer

• Members
  • Slovenia

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:38 PM

This doesn't have anything to do with GTA V. This should go to General Chat section.

TheBossMan5000
  • TheBossMan5000

Rat

• Members

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:39 PM

have you ever worked in the entertainment industry man?

THERE IS NO HOME LIFE

you have to live, sleep, eat, breath your f*cking project until it's done. I personally believe that's what's going on right now over there, long nights, camping out at the studio, etc. to get this masterpiece good

omeromer
  • omeromer

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:41 PM

People who send friend requests to rockstar employees are stupid.
Rockstar employees who have their name public who don't block their facebook profile from people who they don't know are also pretty stupid.

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:41 PM

Keep in mind that half of the people here are A) trolls B)kids C)idiots.

BlackandWhite23
  • BlackandWhite23

Lost in the World

• Members

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:42 PM

YOU want a Private life then disconnect your internet connection and telephone line and start living your private life dozingoff.gif suicidal.gif

libertycityfilms
  • libertycityfilms

LCF

• Members

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:42 PM

QUOTE (MikeWh @ Saturday, Jun 2 2012, 23:36)
Everybody has a right to privacy, everybody has a certain expectation of that right and over the last few days I've been growing increasingly alarmed at the amount of Rockstar Games (and Rockstar North) employees' Facebook profiles posted on this forum.

Now I'm not a moderator, but that doesn't stop me being a decent human being who as a professional in a public facing role, understands why I'd not want the 'customers' in my line of work getting access to my social networking profiles, this is also the same to a friend of mine who works in a retail store. Think twice before posting links Rockstar employees' profiles on non-professional websites such as Facebook or MySpace etc, it's not fair on them.

These individuals work for the company that produce a game we all love, and we cherish that franchise - but that's not an excuse to invade their private lives. After my 12 hours are up I go home and I'm not working anymore - these people are the same - they are NOT working on GTA V 24/7 and likelyhood is they're not posting information to their profiles. They're subject to contractual non-disclosure agreements. Like them I'm subject to laws about disclosure of sensitive information and protected information - so why would I post somebody's full history on my Facebook profile, on the same token, why would they post screens of GTA games to theirs? There's nothing interesting on their profiles, so you don't need to add them and they won't tell you anything so don't message them.

Think about it - if you worked at a doctors surgery and somebody found this out and started asking you for patient details on Facebook would you not feel like your life was being invaded and not at all annoyed and worried by that action? It's a similar principle.

In a nutshell, what I'm saying is simple - FACEBOOK is for their PRIVATE, PERSONAL LIVES, don't invade it - it isn't fair. Now before any of you disregard this thread with "He's not a mod, who does he think he is" - I'm somebody who appreciates the right to a private life and also somebody who's duty bound to act on potential legal breaches - I'm just looking out for everybody here. Leave the employees alone.

I appreciate a large amount of members are under the age of 16 so tend not to consider consequence, but think of the consequences on GTA Forums, Rockstar Games' policies and your lives if you were to send messages to these people on Facebook and they were to report you for it? It'd look terrible! So don't do it, please.

I trust you're mature enough to heed my advice, as it is only such at the moment - if you're not then I feel sorry for you.

Cheers man, i completely agree...i didn't even knew something like that was happening,thanks for sharing and the warning.

UtricularEwe001
  • UtricularEwe001

I am a Pirate

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:43 PM

This has nothing to do with V confused.gif

OT:
Amen to that, brother

Original Light
  • Original Light

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:51 PM

QUOTE (r34ld34l @ Saturday, Jun 2 2012, 16:38)
This doesn't have anything to do with GTA V. This should go to General Chat section.

Yes it does, because it's about people like you who are begging for GTA V info on their profiles, annoying them, and posting links to it on here.
You obviously didn't read it, or you're just not understanding the point.

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:52 PM

QUOTE (Original Light @ Saturday, Jun 2 2012, 23:51)
QUOTE (r34ld34l @ Saturday, Jun 2 2012, 16:38)

Yes it does, because it's about people like you who are begging for GTA V info on their profiles, begging it from them, and posting links to it on here.
You obviously didn't read it, or you're just not understanding the point.

icon14.gif Exactly. I hope this doesn't get locked.

Celticfang
  • Celticfang

Playa

• Members

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:52 PM

Agree with the OP, there is a huge line between professional and personal.

If the newswire spam was bad, I feel sorry for the employees who may well get spammed with messages by immature people who are all 'omg give me gta v info nao'

eSJe
  • eSJe

NPC

• Members

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:56 PM

Is this thread based on FACT that someone really begging information to R* employes on FB? mercie_blink.gif
I can't f*cking believe this!

SmC12
  • SmC12

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:58 PM Edited by SmC12, 03 June 2012 - 12:01 AM.

I agree. We have no right to be posting our begging on their own profiles that are used for their out of work life. I mean, what's the point anyway? You really think asking a random R* North employee for info would even work? Most of them have no idea when the game will be released - they don't care. Their job is to make games, whether they spend all day programming or they spend their day writing scripts. You'd need to ask at least 100 different Rockstar employees before you got ahold of someone who actually knew something and was in a position to give information.

They all accept Non Disclosure Agreements with their employment contract. With employers now looking at people's facebook profiles reguarly, it would be completely stupid to expect any employee of Rockstar North to share any information about their work. It is their job and their passion and they aren't going to throw that away over some pathetic impatient kids.

Chickenwing
  • Chickenwing

You See it in the Movies.....

• Members

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:59 PM

If it's public... We all have the right!

However friending on Facebook is beyond it... Following on Twitter (Which isn't private) is okay...

LinkedIn and CVs are made to show off accomplishments so there's no such thing as stalking unless it's private on the internet!

Celticfang
  • Celticfang

Playa

• Members

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:03 AM

So if it's public, you have the right to go up to a doctor and demand patient info in a hospital then? After all, that's public isn't it?

No, it's rude and illegal.

Chickenwing
  • Chickenwing

• Members

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:04 AM

QUOTE (Celticfang @ Sunday, Jun 3 2012, 00:03)
So if it's public, you have the right to go up to a doctor and demand patient info in a hospital then? After all, that's public isn't it?

No, it's rude and illegal.

Patient info is not public

Celticfang
  • Celticfang

Playa

• Members

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:11 AM

Nor is GTA V info. Doctors are under a form of NDA, so are R* devs. Neither will willingly give out private info to random people.

(Caveat: Have fun convincing a lawyer to get patient records vs getting V info, one is significantly easier)

Some people go around demanding both however. It is wrong and just so pathetic, yes, V is being worked on and no, the devs can't and won't tell anyone anything at all. I shudder to think what the whiny masses would do if somebody on 4chan or another forum got hold of the profile links an found they worked for R*, mass spam.

I do wonder though how R* takes it, if they got a blanket no FB policy at work clause or anything at all,

damian001
  • damian001

Vice City fanboy

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:14 AM

You know what I'd be interested in? Peds that had private lives! biggrin.gif I've always wanted this since San Andreas. I remember reading on all the hype here back then how we were gonna have peds that drove into their homes and stuff. We were all thrilled, but then I found out they just simply pull into places. Park and leave hahaha.

I'd be interested in peds have set things to do on the weekday. For example they could drive and go to work, visit supermarkets, go to their designated homes. A truly interactive GTA... One day ahahaha.

Chickenwing
  • Chickenwing

• Members

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:15 AM

QUOTE (Celticfang @ Sunday, Jun 3 2012, 00:11)
Nor is GTA V info. Doctors are under a form of NDA, so are R* devs. Neither will willingly give out private info to random people.

(Caveat: Have fun convincing a lawyer to get patient records vs getting V info, one is significantly easier)

Some people go around demanding both however. It is wrong and just so pathetic, yes, V is being worked on and no, the devs can't and won't tell anyone anything at all. I shudder to think what the whiny masses would do if somebody on 4chan or another forum got hold of the profile links an found they worked for R*, mass spam.

I do wonder though how R* takes it, if they got a blanket no FB policy at work clause or anything at all,

Communicating with any Rockstar Employee apart from Support and Mouthoff is off limits too...

I just think if they are displaying personal information publicly, well then anyone has the right to view it bored.gif

Celticfang
  • Celticfang

Playa

• Members

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:18 AM

I agree. View yes. Communicate, no.

Even support/mouthoff have strict limits.

SmC12
  • SmC12

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:18 AM

QUOTE (Chickenwing @ Sunday, Jun 3 2012, 00:15)
Communicating with any Rockstar Employee apart from Support and Mouthoff is off limits too...

I just think if they are displaying personal information publicly, well then anyone has the right to view it bored.gif

Well that's true. As long as their FB profile is public then you have every right to view it. But the info is their private info, about their life, about their friends. Not about their work life. When a R* Dev logs into Facebook they shouldn't be greeted by a ton of GTA V spam messages. That's not the purpose of their profile. Their work life is protected by laws and regulations and they will never breach them.

Diesel311
  • Diesel311

Hunter of V's

• Members

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:38 AM

Absolutely, if their FB profile is public, anyone can check it out. However, if someone is on their asking for GTAV info, that is frigging pathetic!

chokeslamcena
  • chokeslamcena

Snitch

• Members

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:42 AM

Yeah, I'd agree that if their facebook is public and viewable then it's fair game. They can always bump up their security settings if they wish to do so.

Pestering people on facebook is a bit dorky, but nothing illegal or immoral. You can unfriend and block people with the click of a button, so I don't think it's that bad a situation.

Cam7225
  • Cam7225

Crackhead

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:56 AM

Well if Rockstar care about their employees they wouldn't leave the game 7 months. They're b•stards to their employees & customers!

rare.steak
  • rare.steak

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:30 AM

Well said, but I'm not aware if there's been any such case with R* and GTA? And would you care to provide a link if there's one (or more)?

Celticfang
  • Celticfang

Playa

• Members

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:36 AM

QUOTE (chokeslamcena @ Sunday, Jun 3 2012, 00:42)
Yeah, I'd agree that if their facebook is public and viewable then it's fair game. They can always bump up their security settings if they wish to do so.

Pestering people on facebook is a bit dorky, but nothing illegal or immoral. You can unfriend and block people with the click of a button, so I don't think it's that bad a situation.

So let's suppose you put you work at MS and it's gone quiet on the X720 for half a year, suddenly you get friend requests from people you don't know and getting spammed with messages like 'omg u work for ms when is teh 720 coming out????' and 'WE WANT 720 INFO NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!' as well as similar messaages, would you simply unfriend and bock them or would you expect MS to look into your FB page to see what you put? Already several employers do check what you've been saying on FB.

Now suppose in working for MS you signed a contract stating explicitly you can't talk about the 720 and you'll be subject to being fired/sued if you do (I know somebody at Google who can't discuss what they're working on as its private and confidential), you keep getting spammed.

Is that really not a bad situation or are you just not totally understanding it entirely?

baguvix_wanrltw
  • baguvix_wanrltw

Cynical, yeah. Bitter, probably.

• Members

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:05 PM Edited by baguvix_wanrltw, 03 June 2012 - 01:07 PM.

Wow, the stupidity of this is just overwhelming mercie_blink.gif

I mean, by now I'm used to quite a lot of idiotic topics on here, about whether people have ever dreamt and/or jacked off thinking about V, or what rating score a game noone has even seen as of yet will most likely get. But this one is truly special, in every sense of the word.

What you're saying is that - when someone posts his personal information on a public website which is known primarily for being the worst nightmare privacy ever had - it's somehow evil to look at that publicly available data, and even more evil to post a link to that public data so that it can become more, um, public?

Some of you kids need to realize Facebook accounts/pages are NOT private. Facebook does NOT WANT to protect your privacy, they actually want the exact opposite.

If you want something to be private, DO NOT post it on Facebook, period. Is it really that hard to understand?
"Facebook is private"... stupidest thing I've heard in some time, congratulations.
Maybe it helps to understand the fundamental idiocy of that thought if you think of Facebook as just a bunch of guys who (by entering into that face/ in this example, phone book) shared their phone numbers with each other. And now you're saying that if person X who's interested in what person Y is doing uses the phone number he has explicitly been given before by person Y to call him, that's evil? Then why in the world did person X agree to this number being put in that damn phone book in the first place, if not for people to use to call him?

I mean, yeah, I'm aware that most of you are far too young to know that for more than a decade there have been lots of fine ways to share your data and communicate with friends around the world over the Internet without becoming the product of a giant corporation whose only goal is to gather as much data as possible about you and your habits, and your friends and their habits, and people who avoid Facebook themselves but are unlucky enough to be in some retard's buddy list who posted it in its entirety on FB and keeps tagging you in his party photos, and their habits.

And I do realize that at least 75% of you have Facebook accounts and should therefore receive a privacy Darwin award.

Would you post the passphrase you use to encrypt your HDDs on Facebook? No? Why not? Oh, because it should NOT be *public* because that defeats the entire purpose of a secret passphrase? But your other *private* information should be *public*, yet noone you don't know directly should look at it because that would be evil? Mh-hmmm.

You're posting information AND contact information. People will read the information you posted. And people will contact you. Deal with it, or use a different communication medium/platform/method.
Or, if you're lazy, just make a new private account that perhaps does NOT have your f*cking real name exactly as listed in popular video game's credits lists and just inform your actual friends of the new account to contact you under, bang, problem solved.

So kindly refrain from telling others what they can and can not do with publicly available data that was posted with the intent to be publicly available, at least until you've actually *tried* thinking about what you're saying and/or doing and/or posting on FB, and/or have understood what you're talking about.

Kthx

Niteye
  • Niteye

Hustler

• Members

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:17 PM

If they set their account to be publicly viewable then I see nothing wrong with posting a screenshot if it has something related to GTA on it.

But if there really are people hassling them for GTAV info then I feel sorry for them (both the employees and the obsessed who need a life)

Celticfang
  • Celticfang

Playa

• Members

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:18 PM Edited by Celticfang, 03 June 2012 - 07:20 PM.

Also I'm wondering just how close some of the obsessed are to breaking a law. All it takes is a R* dev's friend/SO/themselves to go to the police and state they're being harrassed and prove it and what do you know, the police start looking into that fan and may in a worst case scenario, press charges as far as stalking/harassment.

@Niteye: If you're at work on a project you signed an agreement that you can't talk about, let's say a top secret military project, would you really go and put a picture of it on your FB? If I did I would walk into work expecting to get a talking to at the very least. None of us know how R* view FB for their employees, if they have a blanket ban on posting anything on it or if they only disallow certain things.

AtomicPunk
  • AtomicPunk

I'm your huckleberry

• Members

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:50 PM

if the sonsa bi**es released info instead of shafting their fanbase for 7 months then nobody would be doing sh^t like this. I don't, however, agree with the death threats. those people need to be arrested and it is an arrestable offence to threaten somebody's life over the internet. that bullsh^t is uncalled for. I actually read on the newswire where some guy said he was going to bomb R*'s offices. he probably was arrested for domestic terrorism. We all have a right to be frustrated, there ain't any doubt about that but no more death threats. I can't imagine the mutany on the bounty if R* shows nothing at E3. Sh^ts about to get out of hand. I'm calm about it but aggravated. but oh well, life goes on and FarCry 3 is coming.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users