Photo

GTA 4 Performance/Graphics Tips

21 replies to this topic
Dr. John
  • Dr. John

.. - .----. ... / .- / .--. .-. .- -. -.- .-.-.-

• Members
  • India

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:31 PM Edited by Dr. John13, 30 July 2012 - 03:42 PM.

GTA 4 Performance/Graphics Tips

Hey guys, I was scrolling this Section for a while and I found many people having problems with GTA 4. It was more about getting some FPS and I was shocked that many people got only around 10-20 FPS. So, I am going to share you some tips which helped me in gaining more than 20 FPS. smile.gif These tweaks may also work with Intel HD. colgate.gif Though, there might be not much improvement.

Game Booster

This is a program which helps us in getting performance w/o disturbing the Graphics. It also helps in closing some unwanted programs when we run the game.
You can download this here: Click Here!

Contig

Contig is more like a defragmenter which goes inside the whole file and finds any fragmented files.

Here is how to use it:
Place it in your GTA IV directory.
Then create a shortcut desktop and have a commandline at the end (-s) and it should look like this:
"C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\Contig.exe" -s

Here is a tutorial how to use Contig and Game Booster:

CCleaner

CCleaner is a freeware system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool. It removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history. Additionally it contains a fully featured registry cleaner. But the best part is that it's fast (normally taking less than a second to run) than Disk Defragmenter.

Here is a tutorial that how to use CCleaner:

Advanced System Care (Free Edition)

Advanced SystemCare Free has options to help protect, repair, clean, and optimize your PC. 100% safe with no adware, spyware, or viruses (I tested it); a PC maintenance program that's incredibly easy to use. You can download this here: Click Here!

Here is a tutorial about how to use this:

Commandline

Commandline is just a small file which configures GTA 4. In this, we can fix most of the graphic bugs. You can know the parameters here.

Here is a small data which I use all the time. It is bug free:
CODE
-availablevidmem 4.0
-novblank
-nomemrestrict
-noprecache
-refreshrate 57

Here is a tutorial about how to make a commandline:

A nice tutorial made by mkey82:
http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=458859

If anyone has any other information, PM me. smile.gif

Tweaking the game

Things which you should have:
  • Patch 1.0.4.0 (Performance)/ 1.0.7.0 (Big fixes and Graphics)
  • An Original copy of GTA 4 (Pirates, f*ck off)
  • Having a 2009 or later PC (Doesn't matters if it's outdated though)
  • Patience
  • Common Sense
Let's get started.

Download this mod: VisualIV (Not from GTAGarage but from the Mediafire link as the GTAG files are not the latest)
This mod does magic to the game. It improves the Graphics as well as improves the performance.

Next, jpm1 has made this mod which is really good in improving the Frame rates. Well, the mod isn't collaborated well as we have to do most of the work manually. But, anyways, worthy to try: GTA 4 - New Trees and Bushes LODs Also, if you have time, read his post here showing how to improve FPS by modding files.

Now, after installing the patch, using the mod and taking the tips of jpm1, check you game if there is any improvement. If yes then I think you may be having more than 40 FPS.

Don't get so happy, read some of my tips:
  • Always keep the settings to minimum because your game can crash. It happened with me a lot of time.
  • Keep you Mouse direction vertical wherever it's possible because seeing from above gives 2 to 5 FPS.
  • Don't install any ENBs or Ultimate Textures as mixing up the files can cause bugs and as well as crashes.
  • Defrag your PC weekly, make it as a habit. Do an error check monthly to fix the Bad sectors in your C: Drive.
  • Set your PC for best performance. It will help you to load the game quickly.
  • Do a benchmark test every time you install any mods so that you can yourself fix the problems and you don't need to disturb us. But still, we are happy to help. smile.gif
  • There are some major bugs like 'Last Mission Helicopter bug' or 'Canít call Gerry bug' which make it impossible to beat the game. So, read these instructions carefully:
    1) If anyone gets more than 30 FPS then download FRAPS and set the avg. FPS as 30 or try my method for the last mission.
    2) Donít hail a taxi in the mission 'Action speaks louder than words' for collecting the bomb or going to Little Italy because this increase the chances of this bug. I have tried it and it works.
  • Don't overwrite any files which are important! You might be able to crash your computer as GTA 4 takes a lot of CPU. If you ever get this problem, update to latest drivers. I can't help you with that.
  • Always re-install the game if you have any bugs. That's the first step which you should do before telling your problem.
Credits
mkey82 - For all his help and tutorials in the Troubleshooting forums.
PrometheusX - He has been a great guy and helped me a lot. I got this idea from his helpful topics.
jpm1 - Really good modder and has helpful tips for improving FPS. His Tree LOD mod will come handy to many folks. icon14.gif
Respective Mod Authors and Video Designer - Thanks for all the work you all had done.

Hope you all have a good time with your game. If you want any help, donít hesitate to ask. smile.gif

Aljohnk
  • Aljohnk

*Intensifies*

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:29 PM

Thanks for the tips wink.gif gotta check this sh*t out biggrin.gif

kor0ro.k3yz
  • kor0ro.k3yz

Bah! Bah! Black Sheep

• Members

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:28 PM

if you have the time read this

Better Pc

ph34r.gif

Dr. John
  • Dr. John

• Members
  • India

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:35 AM

^^^What it has to do with this topic?

@Grove4Life: Thanks. Do send the benchmark results. wink.gif

Ms.45
  • Ms.45

Angel of Vengence

• Members

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:25 PM

I actually had the game booster and CCcleaner, but I'll check out the other stuff.. Hope I can figure it out and I'll let you know how it goes (If I don't get lost in the directions and have to come back here to ask..)

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:46 PM

Do an error check monthly to fix the Bad sectors in your C: Drive.

Just a quick note: if you're getting new bad sectors on a monthly basis, you ought to replace that HDD asap.

Ms.45
  • Ms.45

Angel of Vengence

• Members

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:49 PM

I still don't get the contig thing or the commandline part.. I am REALLY lost here..

lydianduck
  • lydianduck

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:45 PM

Correct me if im wrong here, but that "-framelimit" switch doesn't make any sense, if you read the game's readme file, it should be either "-framelimit 1" or nothing, since "-framelimit 0" (which i've seen people use before) would be the same as "novblank" and we don't need it anymore since the vsync feature has been implemented after the 2nd patch.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:01 PM

QUOTE (Ms.45 @ Friday, Jun 1 2012, 14:49)
I still don't get the contig thing or the commandline part.. I am REALLY lost here..

You can just as easily use any defragging program and allow it to take care of your drives.

Ex http://www.piriform.com/defraggler

yojc
  • yojc

2A03

• Members
  • Poland
  • Best Poster [Tech] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Tech] 2013
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:26 PM

QUOTE (mkey82 @ Friday, Jun 1 2012, 14:46)
Just a quick note: if you're getting new bad sectors on a monthly basis, you ought to replace that HDD asap.

Not to mention that bad sectors can't be really fixed.

kor0ro.k3yz
  • kor0ro.k3yz

Bah! Bah! Black Sheep

• Members

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE (Dr. John13 @ Friday, Jun 1 2012, 08:35)
^^^What it has to do with this topic?

@Grove4Life: Thanks. Do send the benchmark results. wink.gif

nvm rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

Dr. John
  • Dr. John

• Members
  • India

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:39 AM

QUOTE (Brainsick @ Friday, Jun 1 2012, 19:15)
Correct me if im wrong here, but that "-framelimit" switch doesn't make any sense, if you read the game's readme file, it should be either "-framelimit 1" or nothing, since "-framelimit 0" (which i've seen people use before) would be the same as "novblank" and we don't need it anymore since the vsync feature has been implemented after the 2nd patch.

Forgotten to post the number. tounge.gif
Anyways, I have updated with a new Commandline:
CODE
-availablevidmem 4.0
-novblank
-nomemrestrict
-noprecache
-refreshrate 57

I didn't get any errors with this so I guess this one is perfect. smile.gif

Dr. John
  • Dr. John

• Members
  • India

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:19 PM

Hey guys,

I found one more amazing product of IOBit which helps in maintaining CPU's temperature from rising. It's again more like a Defragmenter but it has some similar features of Game Booster and it's easy to use. So I am going to throw this tweak too:

Advanced System Care (Free Edition)

Advanced SystemCare Free has options to help protect, repair, clean, and optimize your PC. 100% safe with no adware, spyware, or viruses (I tested it); a PC maintenance program that's incredibly easy to use. You can download this here: Click Here!

Here is a tutorial about how to use this:

Hope you like this new stuff too. wink.gif

MrMateczko
  • MrMateczko

The Laziest Person on Earthô

• Members
  • Poland
  • Helpfulness Award [Chain Game]

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:35 PM

I never like this kinds of programs. All they do is change some registry settings (not always for good), and do some commands which you can find easely on the internet. I like tweaking my computer by myself, I no need no stinking programs.

Algernon77
  • Algernon77

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:18 PM Edited by Girish, 13 June 2012 - 10:38 AM.

Hope I can figure it out and I'll let you know how it goes .

Dr. John
  • Dr. John

• Members
  • India

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:30 AM

QUOTE (MrMateczko @ Tuesday, Jun 12 2012, 20:05)
I never like this kinds of programs. All they do is change some registry settings (not always for good), and do some commands which you can find easely on the internet. I like tweaking my computer by myself, I no need no stinking programs.

Hey, hey. No one forced you. You never know when you need them and they don't upgrade the game but the PC itself for keeping the CPU Memory low and to load games faster. If you don't like them then don't try it. If you think they are viruses then you are wrong as I have tested them. Still, sky won't fall if you will try. sarcasm.gif

Dr. John
  • Dr. John

• Members
  • India

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:45 PM

*Update*

Did some editing. Added jpm1's tips regarding FPS as I found it very useful. The same will be for you too. smile.gif I know this is a tiny update but update is update. I am also bumping this so that more members see this. Thanks.

cryoghost
  • cryoghost

POLLOS

• Members

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:47 PM

BUMP - To prevent this thread from sinking into the depths of hell.

kor0ro.k3yz
  • kor0ro.k3yz

Bah! Bah! Black Sheep

• Members

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:41 AM

just adding a little tip.place gta iv on a different HDD on its own. improves alot with reading time.

westforge
  • westforge

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:52 AM

QUOTE (kor0ro.k3yz @ Monday, Feb 4 2013, 07:41)
just adding a little tip.place gta iv on a different HDD on its own. improves alot with reading time.

this actually works. i made a backup of the game on a parition and it runs much faster than the one i have on the C: drive biggrin.gif

PacketOverload_x64bit
  • PacketOverload_x64bit

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • Canada
  • Contribution Award [Mods]

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:32 AM

As a technician, being in the "trenches" for years I can whoreheartedly say that CC Cleaner is the worst program I have ever had the misfortune of trusting a registry repair to. Better to use Glary Utilities for the same things. NEVER had one toasted Windows installation from it. Also, for you "Disk Cleanup" jockies out there, start a command line as an administrator and cd.. to the C:\ drive. Then type in compact /u /s /a /i /f 

Uncompacts all files that ever been compacted as a result of any thing done to compact them. Operating Systems use many, many files just in the boot process. Every time you compress the files the operating system has to decompress and then recompress those files while they are in use in RAM. This alleviates that need to decompress / recompress.

dekash27
  • dekash27

LS Saints

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:17 PM

Bump.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users