11 replies to this topic
blitz
  • blitz

pizzaqueen <3

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Newcomer of the Year 2011

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:46 PM

Hey there, for school I've started coding (HTML5) a blog site from a template I found online. It was suggested to me that I somehow incorporate a 'CMS' or a 'Content Management System,' however I'm pretty much a complete newbie here that barely knows the basics, thus not so sure what it is.

Anyone mind explaining the concept of a 'CMS' and what it's used for? Also, how do I incorporate one towards my HTML page (already fully coded and complete).

Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

-b.

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:15 PM

Check this out Blitz:
http://css-tricks.co...rst-simple-cms/

You need some basic PHP knowledge.

blitz
  • blitz

pizzaqueen <3

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE (goin-god @ Saturday, May 19 2012, 14:15)
Check this out Blitz:

Ok, thanks coin-god.

I was wondering if it was possible to simply port the HTML files into a CMS such as Joomla or Wordpress and manage it from there?

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:01 PM

QUOTE (blitz @ Saturday, May 19 2012, 16:49)
QUOTE (goin-god @ Saturday, May 19 2012, 14:15)
Check this out Blitz:

Ok, thanks coin-god.

I was wondering if it was possible to simply port the HTML files into a CMS such as Joomla or Wordpress and manage it from there?

Well, in Joomla you have the option to make pages with custom HTML code. But I can't say much, depends on what exactly you have done in HTML.

blitz
  • blitz

pizzaqueen <3

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:50 PM

I downloaded Joomla, however I must admit I'm a bit lost. I'm not sure if you're talking personal experience here or anything, but any idea how to make a page with custom HTML?

As for what I've done in HTML, I have the page ready for publishing, not sure if I'm going to anyways. Either way, it's pretty much done. Has content, images, backgrounds, and CSS set up.

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:04 PM

I am, but honestly that was some time ago (2007). I remember the option to create a New PHP page or a new HTML page, it should be easy to find. Unless they changed it.

Jevon
  • Jevon

Advocate

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:51 AM

You might want to look at creating a new template (not just a one-off page), so that the entire site has the look and feel of your design.

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:10 AM

QUOTE (Jevon @ Sunday, May 20 2012, 18:21)
You might want to look at creating a new template (not just a one-off page), so that the entire site has the look and feel of your design.

Yeah, a template be good idea and the template still be there if you require it for future projects.

blitz
  • blitz

pizzaqueen <3

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:42 PM

QUOTE (Jevon @ Sunday, May 20 2012, 02:51)

I thought about that - I really did, thing is I'm not sure if I have the sufficient skill to code my own website, unless I make it completely using a CMS program, which I'd rather avoid.

theboss100
  • theboss100

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 May 2012 - 04:48 PM

CMS made simple, wordpress or joomla

CMSMS: css and html knowledge
wordpress: dunno
joomla: for simple editing you need the graty module for advanced editing css knowledge reqruid

Tsuroki
  • Tsuroki

Gone Fishin'

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:25 PM

Hey,

Content Management System ("CMS") is used to simplify the creation and management of content on a website. They're not overly useful for one or two page sites, but when you start working with more than a few pages, they become a necessity.

Here are a few of the ones you'd want to start with:

Get Simple CMS get-simple.info
A straightforward content management system that doesn't require a MySQL database.

WordPress wordpress.org
I'm fairly involved with the local WordPress community. smile.gif It's a great CMS, with lots of potential if you're interested in getting into freelance development work. The template system is similar to Get Simple, but with more power under the hood.

Drupal drupal.org
A sophisticated CMS, relying on PHP and MySQL, with a relatively steep learning curve. I consider it the next level above WordPress if you're interested in building comprehensive, large-scale websites.

Note: All three of these CMSes are built with PHP.

Regardless of your CMS choice, you'll rely on templates to define the look/feel of sites. Start by building your template in HTML & CSS. From there, you're going to rely on whatever methodology each CMS follows. In the case of WordPress, there's a good starter guide to theme development on the WP Codex. Get Simple and Drupal also have good documentation.

blitz
  • blitz

pizzaqueen <3

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:52 AM

Thanks Andy, you're the man.

I found this site, CushyCMS. Not really sure if it's any good, but I think I'm gonna give it a shot. Drupal also seems like a nice alternative, will surely keep those three in mind.

Again, thanks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users