First screenshots of next-gen graphics!

69 replies to this topic
_Rob_
  • _Rob_

Game Dev, Graphics Artist

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:59 PM

I wish next-gen meant improvements in other aspects aside from graphics. For instance character animation still isn't perfect, objects still clip through each other it's unfortunate that graphics seem to be more important to most game devs than just creating something fun to play.

After all isn't that why we play games in the first place?

GTARandom
  • GTARandom

Unfortunate piece of meat

• Feroci Racing
  • Croatia

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE (bammargera @ Monday, May 21 2012, 22:59)
I wish next-gen meant improvements in other aspects aside from graphics. For instance character animation still isn't perfect, objects still clip through each other it's unfortunate that graphics seem to be more important to most game devs than just creating something fun to play.

After all isn't that why we play games in the first place?

We play games to pay the developers, if people whine for graphics , they will elaborate more on that in order to get paid. Simple

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:17 AM

Cryf*ckingEngine 3.
user posted image
user posted image

That's ingame, real time.

And that's being done by modders.

Seddo
  • Seddo

YNWA

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • Winner of Euro 2008 Prediction League

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:22 PM

Couple of videos now released from GTTV last night.

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Soldier

• Members

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:15 PM Edited by John The Grudge, 08 June 2012 - 01:18 PM.

Let's drop the gameplay vs graphics argument shall we. I have no desire to go back to paperboy graphics. I want the best graphics possible.

The graphics on display in this demo are very nice. Though I suspect a cutscene like this doesn't do it the same justice that a more gameplay like demo would. I was more impressed with what I've seen of Cryengine 3.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:18 PM

QUOTE (John The Grudge @ Friday, Jun 8 2012, 06:15)
Let's drop the gameplay vs graphics argument shall we.

well it's also a false argument.

just because graphics get better doesn't mean that gameplay will automatically get worse.
that's retarded.

there are still PLENTY of people in the industry who appreciate and know how to employ quality gameplay.
the advances in graphical power do not affect the ability of developers to create an enjoyable game.

it just means that even the crappy games with horrible gameplay will at least still look nice and pretty tounge2.gif

Eagles
  • Eagles

Here we go, kids

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:26 PM

Unreal Engine looks much better now, not only for the beauty shadows/lights and smoother edges, but for all the physical improvement they made with particles (including sun effects, smoke effects and any other dirty particles floating on the screen).
It will be a great improvement for all those developers and specially for all those casual wanna-be game designers. They will have a better tool to study and to produce what they want.

But it will get better with the time. In the middle of the next-generation it will be much more beauty with improved settings and probably some other new physics. For now, it will work very well.

Jake
  • Jake

Vagina Mine

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:22 PM

Impressed I was not. Impressed I now am.

Very nice. icon14.gif

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Catch a ride!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:42 PM

Gameplay is very important but it is nice to have decent graphics. Don't forget sound either.

Bernard Jazz
  • Bernard Jazz

Dud dats not gas, dats a chikn.

• Members

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:27 PM

Square Enix have also showcased their engine for next-gen consoles.

The character design isn't what I consider to be great, but at least they can finally render beards decently and overall it's aesthetically pleasing.
I look forward to the day where we can look at scenery close up without horribly blurry textures.

I'm looking forward to see what these engines can bring to the table as far as gameplay is concerned.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users