First screenshots of next-gen graphics!

69 replies to this topic
El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:00 AM

I don't think anyone is going to deny that gameplay is more important than graphics.

but there's nothing wrong with the advancement of graphics.
people act like just because everything looks good, that suddenly developers are going to stop making fun games.

doesn't make sense.
gameplay was conceptualized long before "graphics" was even a term. graphics are not going to change the enjoyment of well-made games.

Pat
  • Pat

• The Connection

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:20 AM

QUOTE (DeeperRed @ Thursday, May 17 2012, 21:26)
Ill happily take those graphics on consoles as long as thats running 1080p @60fps constant

That's never going to happen on current generation consoles, and if the rumors are true for next generation consoles (ie HD 6670), it's never going to happen with those either.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:43 AM

QUOTE (Marlowe. @ Friday, May 18 2012, 01:49)
I question the sincerity of the "next-gen" part. . .

'Generations' are measured in consoles.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:08 AM

QUOTE (Tori_95 @ Friday, May 18 2012, 03:17)
whats the equivalent in pc?

IMO there is nothing "next-gen" about it http://www.ign.com/a...rocessing-specs

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:33 AM

For PC there is a Unlimited Detail (Euclideon)
Some say it's vaporware, but other think it may be possible in the future to have games based on that.

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:00 AM

I've seen plenty of games for this current-gen of consoles that looked like this pre-release, then when it actually came to the release of the game, it just looked normal. Obviously we're going to see a leap in the graphics when it comes to the next-gen of consoles, but it's a matter of it not being pre-release shots, or shots from a scene, and actual gameplay pictures, that's going to get me excited.

DeeperRed
  • DeeperRed

Damn it feels good to be gangsta

• Zaibatsu

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:08 AM

QUOTE (Pat @ Friday, May 18 2012, 04:20)
QUOTE (DeeperRed @ Thursday, May 17 2012, 21:26)
Ill happily take those graphics on consoles as long as thats running 1080p @60fps constant

That's never going to happen on current generation consoles, and if the rumors are true for next generation consoles (ie HD 6670), it's never going to happen with those either.

I know its not got a chance current gen, hell most the sh*t runs at 30fps @640p (original render). However technology is exponential so I have hope that we will see another ps2 to ps3 sized jump.

If DX11 is truly implemented and tessellation etc is used to its full then we could have some great products.

Gtaghost22
  • Gtaghost22

• Members

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE (Marlowe. @ Friday, May 18 2012, 01:49)
I question the sincerity of the "next-gen" part. . .

This^
Uncharted 3 already looks better than these "next-gen" screenshots

Narcis_speed6
  • Narcis_speed6

The Saint

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Talented [Expression] 2012
    Most Helpful [Expression] 2012
    Most Helpful 2011
    Most Talented [Expression] 2011
    Most Helpful [Expression] 2011
    Best Member in a Group 2011
    Most Helpful [GTA Series] 2011
    Most Respected 2010
    Most Helpful 2010
    Most Talented [Visual Arts] 2010
    Most Helpful [Visual Arts] 2010
    Most Helpful [GTA Series] 2010

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:22 AM

The screenshot with the mountains is the only one that I can consider a step further.

Arvis
  • Arvis

Li'l G Loc

• The Yardies

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:33 PM

They look good but... I guess we have next gen graphics for a while now, check CryEngine 3.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:45 PM Edited by El_Diablo, 18 May 2012 - 09:09 PM.

I honestly don't what you guys were expecting.
everyone wants to pretend they're a hipster or jaded or too cool to say "oh, that looks good."

the point of the tech demo was to show how "cutscene quality" graphics are soon going to become standard for actual gameplay. keep in mind that this demo was rendered in real time; lighting, shadows, DoF, and all. it is not a "cutscene" itself. if you actually take the time to read the articles and the links provided in my original post (start here http://www.wired.com...2/05/ff_unreal4 ) you might have a better understanding of the advancements being made.

it would also help to have a cursory understanding of what previous generation engines were capable of by comparison.
but I know, the internet is just one big douchebag party. no one is impressed by anything, nothing is cool or interesting, everyone has seen it all.

I know... turn.gif

here's an article with some EXTREMELY high-res versions of the same screenshots (5,120px 2,868px):
http://www.allgamesb...on-screens.html

FiliGTAFan
  • FiliGTAFan

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:49 PM

I'm not that impressed either, nor am I a "hipster." It seems as though we have almost reached the pinnacle of gaming, graphics wise - I honestly can't imagine graphics getting exceptionally better than what they currently are this gen, unless games start looking exactly like real life, but that would be silly.

With that said, I would welcome the transition to "cutscene quality" graphics but I wouldn't exactly be overjoyed. Maybe I've just been spoilt by the quality of games nowadays, but I still think the leap to the next gen probably won't be as astonishing as it was from PS1 - PS2 - PS3, I think. Oh, and that article is too long so I'm just judging things purely by the screenshots . catloaf_by_anuj.gif

d0mm2k8
  • d0mm2k8

ad infinitum

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:09 AM

QUOTE (Gtaghost22 @ Friday, May 18 2012, 11:44)

Uncharted 3's graphics are no where near this level.

I honestly can't imagine graphics getting exceptionally better than what they currently are this gen, unless games start looking exactly like real life, but that would be silly.

Current-gen consoles have terrible graphics in comparison to what current hardware can do. The field of view is tiny, the anti-aliasing is ugly or non-existent, the resolution is usually small, draw distance is incredibly low, textures are very low res and just the general quality of graphics is poor compared to what is possible; this is without mentioning the exceedingly long loading times and performance issues commonly experienced by large game worlds or games of high graphical fidelity.
However it is impressive the tricks and feats developers pull off with the old hardware and I'm not attempting to slander consoles for fanboyism sake, I'm just giving the point of view of a game graphics whore enthusiast. Seriously, PS3/360 graphics are to me what PS2/Xbox graphics are to you.

Gtaghost22
  • Gtaghost22

• Members

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:33 PM

QUOTE (d0mm2k8 @ Saturday, May 19 2012, 00:09)
QUOTE (Gtaghost22 @ Friday, May 18 2012, 11:44)

Uncharted 3's graphics are no where near this level.

I know, it's way better

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:47 PM

user posted image
That's something you don't see in current-gen games. Nice use of particles there.

GTASAIDEAMASTER
  • GTASAIDEAMASTER

Made in china.

• Members

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:04 PM

I loved the metal reflections and the mountains.
Some stuff doesn't look much apart from the current gen,but they do look like the cutscene graphics,which I always wanted to have in actual gameplay.

Also,the lighting makes stuff look real in one of these pics.I can't imagine what a urban pic in the next gen would look like.

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Catch a ride!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:18 PM

@Gtaghost22
Seriously you think the PS3's 7800GT can output something like Unreal engine 4?

Too be honest the next consoles better have the latest hardware in them and not some mid-range card from two years ago. Hopefully next gen consoles will be able to output this:

Warning 1-2MB photos (taken by me smile.gif )
http://i.imgur.com/Cj5Of.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/hYIXS.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/PeOyP.jpg

My Unigine settings:
user posted image

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:20 PM

Is the floor on the third picture modeled or using real-time displacement?

d0mm2k8
  • d0mm2k8

ad infinitum

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE (Gtaghost22 @ Saturday, May 19 2012, 19:33)
I know, it's way better

The graphics of Uncharted games are above most other games on consoles and the attention to general detail is good. But no, Uncharted 3's graphics aren't better than this. It's objective fact and obvious to see.

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Catch a ride!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE (goin-god @ Saturday, May 19 2012, 19:20)
Is the floor on the third picture modeled or using real-time displacement?

I'm not sure on that one sorry. Might have to look up about Unigine Heaven.

@d0mm2k8
You're right but the thing with these benchmarks and Uncharted 3, there isn't a lot going on. No intense explosions, cars getting crushed like GTA IV style and loads of enemies on screen doing stuff so it's not as resource heavy.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:51 PM

I'm not impressed and the sole reason I'm not impressed is because the graphics are being used to showcase another trite fantasy game. They're a dime a dozen and do not sufficiently display the power of the next generation of consoles.
I'm simply too blinded by how bland, forgettable and unoriginal it all is to appreciate the graphics.

Djdevin10
  • Djdevin10

Kill People, Burn Sh*t, F*ck School.

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:54 PM

I don't give a sh*t. Next gen should just have better gameplay, and it could have SR2 graphics for all i care.

Graphics are just eye-candy for 12 year olds with short attention spans.

d0mm2k8
  • d0mm2k8

ad infinitum

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE (Djdevin10 @ Saturday, May 19 2012, 20:54)

What's wrong with appreciating amazing visuals? Sure damn helps my immersion.

Also 12 years olds? You're 14.

Djdevin10
  • Djdevin10

Kill People, Burn Sh*t, F*ck School.

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE (d0mm2k8 @ Saturday, May 19 2012, 20:04)
QUOTE (Djdevin10 @ Saturday, May 19 2012, 20:54)

What's wrong with appreciating amazing visuals? Sure damn helps my immersion.

Also 12 years olds? You're 14.

But they don't add that much sh*t to the game. Now a majority of game designers are focusing their time on graphics, instead of better gameplay. And my age is relevant because? sarcasm.gif

d0mm2k8
  • d0mm2k8

ad infinitum

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE (Djdevin10 @ Saturday, May 19 2012, 21:24)
But they don't add that much sh*t to the game. Now a majority of game designers are focusing their time on graphics, instead of better gameplay. 

You know this how? The people who design the levels etc. are not the same people who work on the graphics engine in most cases. Then there's the fact that a lot of developers use already existing engines and just tweak it.

And my age is relevant because? sarcasm.gif
It just seemed you were using '12 year olds' as an insult.

DOOM!
  • DOOM!

yessir

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:25 PM

"Not impressive", wow. I've been waiting for the day when a gaming console looks like a top-notch gaming PC, might be sooner than we think.

Pat
  • Pat

• The Connection

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE (DOOM! @ Saturday, May 19 2012, 17:25)
I've been waiting for the day when a gaming console looks like a top-notch gaming PC

From an economical standpoint this is strategically impossible. Consoles will always use technology that is dated when compared to PCs, because consoles cannot be continuously upgraded, and they cannot use the best technology available at the time of development because they would never make a profit. There is absolutely no way a gaming console will ever look as good as a top-of-the-line PC. It just will not happen.

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Catch a ride!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:02 AM

The Xbox 360 came out in November 2005 and has an ATi Xenos GPU very similar to the ATI Radeon X1800 series which was quite new back then. The Xbox 360's graphics didn't look that great at first because game developers had not fully used the full potential of the hardware inside.

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Zaibatsu
  • Belize

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:33 PM

QUOTE (Pat @ May 19 2012, 22:55)
QUOTE (DOOM! @ Saturday, May 19 2012, 17:25)
I've been waiting for the day when a gaming console looks like a top-notch gaming PC

From an economical standpoint this is strategically impossible. Consoles will always use technology that is dated when compared to PCs, because consoles cannot be continuously upgraded, and they cannot use the best technology available at the time of development because they would never make a profit. There is absolutely no way a gaming console will ever look as good as a top-of-the-line PC. It just will not happen.

Quoted for Truth.

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ May 18 2012, 20:45)
...but I know, the internet is just one big douchebag party. no one is impressed by anything, nothing is cool or interesting, everyone has seen it all.

I know... turn.gif

The problem is, is that in two weeks time another screenshot or technological advance could show up which would be better than this, but if they say this one is good, then when this new one comes out they feel like they've somehow been robbed of being at the crest of technological innovation, because they said this was great and now their point is rendered moot.

They've got too big an ego to admit that these Graphics are pretty sweet for a console generation, (although the PC can render much better). Probably why us old folk who remember 3D graphics when they first came out can appreciate these advancements.

Gtaghost22
  • Gtaghost22

• Members

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE (illegal_luggage @ Saturday, May 19 2012, 19:18)
@Gtaghost22
Seriously you think the PS3's 7800GT can output something like Unreal engine 4?

Too be honest the next consoles better have the latest hardware in them and not some mid-range card from two years ago. Hopefully next gen consoles will be able to output this

No, i don't think that is possible i just said that ot of dissapointment because to be honest i don't see ANYTHING impressive in these screenshots (not the ones you posted) the graphics are alittle bit better than Uncharted i know but they still didn't make me say WOW like i expected, maybe the graphics don't look that impressive because it's a fantasy-themed game, i don't know

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users