Photo

GTA IV - My thoughts..

25 replies to this topic
Axeman420
  • Axeman420

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:12 PM

Wasn't sure where to put this, basically, needed to rant a bit, and semi-review this title... (Feel free to move it, or whatever..)

Ok, so, the game isn't terrible, but, it's definitely not San Andreas, which is my favorite GTA to date. (Vice City is really good too, though, it hasn't aged well, it's very stiff feeling after experiencing SA.)

--

Driving

The driving kinda sucks, you can get used to it, and drive quite quickly through the city, etc, however, the tuning of the cars is off, the suspension is way too floaty, and the cars seem to lack the mass needed to keep them from rolling, and skidding for miles.

I hear, slow down, blah, etc, but, the problem is, on missions, I'm driving through heavy traffic, chasing an AI that rarely makes mistakes, shooting, dodging police, etc, etc,.

So, had they gotten the tuning honed in a bit better, it would have made many missions less annoying.

Bikes are straight up borked, they should have done it identical to SA or as close as possible, bikes are perfect in that game, realistic or not, I loved bikes in SA, and hate them IV, end of discussion.

Missions

I don't mind the missions in theory, I mean, the overall style, and setup, it's the BS scripted crap that annoys me. (Like the police always showing up just in time to harass me, etc,.)

I swear the AI cheats, I can drive around in free mode for hours, and traffic plays nice, as soon as I'm chasing someone, and about to catchup, there is ALWAYS a kamikaze who swerves and wipes me out, etc,.

I unloaded 1000 rounds into one of those biker gang dudes(on his bike, chasing him), I could see the blood flying, he just kept right on driving, etc,. (I finally killed them both, but, I dropped nearly 1300 rounds, 300 into one, 1000 into the other, BS..)

Why even force me into a chase scenario, like those garbage dudes, and the ICE, I walked up to them, gun drawn, they started to run, I would have unloaded a clip on the driver, mission over, but, nope, it forced me into a chase via scripted BS.

(And, can I get a checkpoint, please, because, I'm going to snap, and go on a kill frenzy, and not one of those fun GTA of yore kinds, the type where I go to prison forever..)

PS: Forced AI followers should always be either A) Immortal, or B) capable of handling themselves, and never dying, thus, A) Immortal.. (Stupid Packie(SP?) thinks he's Rambo, but, really isn't...)

Cops

My god, they are annoying, you can't do anything without having them all over you, obey the law, or hoards of psychic police who have epic response times will be on yo' ass.

(Though, to be fair, the cops have always sucked in this series, far too quick to respond, and to shoot, for that matter, I'd prefer the Morrowind crime system, over what we have here.)

Friends

I don't mind these, as much as I do their stalker ass behavior.

Seriously, I do 2\3 missions without hanging out, they start harassing me on mass, I got Dwayne talking about, did you just call me, I thought I heard the phone ring.. Like, I don't get the undertone, of hey, I thought we was cool. (Man, I just took you to the club, chill..)

Other Stuff

1. The music mostly sucks

2. The PC port is kinda sucky (I've seen worse, but the performance is definitely smacked up a bit... Why can't I type in the police database with my keyboard, etc,.)

3. Too many missing SA features, properties, jet packs, jets, planes, etc,. (Serious lack of anything to spend cash on..)

4. Not enough CJ, too much Niko. (ie, I can't body build, get fat, raise stats, learn new combat moves, do stealth kills, etc,. Kinda falls into #3, but worth mentioning..)

5. Grenades: WTF? These things suck, half the time, you throw em' into a crowd, everyone survives, the other half, he drops em' at his feet, killing himself instantly. (So, I've literally, bombarded a room with 10+ grenades, small room 5+ enemies, had them all survive, and had one my stray grenades kill me, again, WTF?)

6. A ton of other minor annoyances. (Like, when Niko calls a contact, telling them he beat the mission, while cops are still shooting at him, leaving me helpless to defend myself, unless I skip the phone call, which, kinda sucks, since, I'd like to follow the story..)

--

Overall, I do like the game, Euphoria is fun, the car physics aren't terrible(especially with a first person camera mod), Niko is alright, he's no CJ, but whatever.

The main point of all this, is that GTA IV, is a good game, but, it lacks many good features, and it has some serious annoyances that hinder my enjoyment, I really hope they rectify this for V.

I don't know, I'll tell ya this, I bought SA twice, once for PS2, and again for my PC, you're lucky to get one IV purchase outta me, it's iffy, I call it 50\50, I hate it, and love it, depending on what's happening at the moment..

/rant.

GTASAIDEAMASTER
  • GTASAIDEAMASTER

Made in china.

• Members

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:44 PM

The driving

You get used to it in about 1 month,and you'll find it WAAAAY funnier than SA.I was a SA fanboy too.

Most of the people agree in the bike business.TLAD kind of fixed it,you should try it.I think there are mods trying to fix that stuff too.

Missions

Some are annoying,but the game overall is really easy,you just have to get used to it.

Cops

Now this,is bullsh*t.They always sucked and they still suck,I'm glad they kind of improved it.It's hard to escape 6 stars on a bike without their crazy drifting in front of you throwing you off.

Friends

Just don't pick up their calls.

Other stuff
1-No,just no.
2-True
3-Properties,I agree with.No place to get Jetpacks on New York City.Jets are way too fast for such a small city.In SA they slowed them down a lot,they should have been faster but the map was small(compare it to RDR).
4-I really don't care.Via trainer I can costumize some more stuff.Like hairstyle,backpacks,fingerless gloves.
5-They don't,you do.It's easy and realistic.You pull down the pin at the first click,with the second throwing it
Hold throw to throw it far,just click to throw it through the floor.If you're running with a grenade,click to drop it.Also works while stopped.

It's simple and quick.SA grenades were unrealistic and impossible to control,that sh*t didn't even have an aim.
6-Never happens to me,I evade the cops before finishing.

Axeman420
  • Axeman420

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:17 PM Edited by Axeman420, 12 May 2012 - 06:31 PM.

The driving

You get used to it in about 1 month,and you'll find it WAAAAY funnier than SA.I was a SA fanboy too.

I am used to it, I can drive around as well as anyone else I'd imagine, I'm saying, it could have been better with a little more tweaking.

Most of the people agree in the bike business.TLAD kind of fixed it,you should try it.I think there are mods trying to fix that stuff too.

Yeah, I haven't tried any DLC yet, I'll have to see which ones look promising.

Cops

Now this,is bullsh*t.They always sucked and they still suck,I'm glad they kind of improved it.It's hard to escape 6 stars on a bike without their crazy drifting in front of you throwing you off.

My problem, is that(in reality) the peds would be reporting this stuff, and I imagine the 911 call sounds something like: Yeah, some immigrant, Russian looking motherf*cker just shot some ppl, haLpz!

And just like reality, it could be days, or hours, or possibly never b4 they caught me, and even then, it would just be for a lineup, etc,.

So, the cops are a bit too omniscient for my liking, and they resort to violence much too quickly. (I don't expect full on reality, just, don't make them gods, or judge Dredd wannabe's. I can't even mug one person without fleeing from them, in SA, I could take out a whole block, and stroll away, no problems, especially with stealth kills.)

Friends

Just don't pick up their calls.

Well, I have to keep my phone on for the story(I know I can put on sleep mode), will they stop calling? What if I want their benefits(Romans cab service, etc,.) won't that make them stop offering them.

Also, I don't mind hanging out with them, they just call too much, I'm constantly getting text messages, phone calls, etc,. I'd prefer to slow down the gameflow, ie, setting it to realtime, wouldn't that decrease the frequency of their calls, but, still let them happen? (I can always sleep to advance time, so, that's no problem.)

Other Stuff:

I disagree about jets, I flew the harrier through town, etc, and it was fun trying to dodge through buildings, etc,. The pop-in was the only problem, trees, etc, would magically appear out of nowhere, and boom, death, other than that, flying that jet through cities was a lot of fun. (I liked the WWII plane too, and the private jet was nice for traveling to a different city section quickly, ie, San Fiero, Los Venturas.)

Not sure what you are saying on the subject of music, you actually like it? I much preferred the SA soundtrack, Ice Cube, Eazy-E, 2Pac, Snoop, etc,. But, I like gangsta rap, so, maybe that's just me. (I like metal too, so Ozzy, Danzig, etc,. Was nice too.)

The grenades do suck: from behind cover, sometimes it clears the cover, others it clips, and lands on you, despite the cover being the same exact height(ie, just facing Niko a different direction(left\right) behind it can make a difference.

And the SA grenades had issues, but, at least they killed stuff you threw them at consistently. wink.gif

(And, I'm aware that you can just drop them, etc, but, he's doing it when I'm holding the button for a throw(not always, a glitch perhaps)... It's like the game registered the initial click, and just drops it, rather than waiting to go, oh, he's holding it, or something, maybe the game just doesn't like my mouse... I don't know, but it doesn't always work properly.)

---

Anyways, like I said, it's a good game, it just p*sses me off sometimes, quite a lot, actually, but, when it's not doing that, I enjoy it. tounge.gif

GTASAIDEAMASTER
  • GTASAIDEAMASTER

Made in china.

• Members

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:04 PM

You're actually right about some stuff.But driving is not that bad,except that the cars have moon-like gravity,which is pathetic.
Also,grenades don't bug too often on cover.That happens more often with the RPG on me.

JustRob
  • JustRob

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:48 PM

In my opinion GTAIV made things a bit too realistic. The cars are harder to drive in SA, I can't speed through the streets dodging all other cars anymore. The cover system is cool but it clutters things up, there's quite a few actions you can do so sometimes Niko does something you don't want him to do.

The new cops system is also annoying in my opinion. If you have three stars, good luck trying to get away in a vehicle, even Pay 'N' Spray won't help most of the time because the cops will be glued to your ass and they'll watch you go in. Why do you not lose your wanted level when they "see" you go in? I know it's more realistic, but come on, this is GTA. I preferred the good old stars and the failsafe Pay 'N' Spray.

Regardless of that, it is actually a pretty cool game. Niko at first seems like a wimp, but when Roman gets f*cked with we see how psycho he can really be.

Despite everything, San Andreas is still my favorite. The huge map, the perfect mix between realism and gameplay, and CJ is just a complete badass. Still the best game in the series, and I don't think even GTAV is gonna change my mind about that.

Axeman420
  • Axeman420

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:19 PM

But driving is not that bad,except that the cars have moon-like gravity,which is pathetic.

Yeah, that's one of my issues, I think it's the suspension, with a first person camera mod, you can really tell how bouncy it is, it should be much stiffer. (Basically, all cars have the suspension of an SUV(causes flipping), and the mass isn't set high enough, so they slide way too much, better suspension would help this as well.)

grenades don't bug too often on cover.That happens more often with the RPG on me.

Yeah, RPG's are pretty screwy too, but, I've used them far less, probably why I forgot them on my list. smile.gif

You're right, it doesn't happen all the time, but, what makes it annoying, is that it happens on long missions, forcing a restart, I hate failing something due to bad AI, cheap AI, glitches, scripted non-sense, etc,. (I'm not a sore loser, if I get beat fairly, fine, but, stuff like this really annoys me.)

--

The cover system is cool but it clutters things up, there's quite a few actions you can do so sometimes Niko does something you don't want him to do.

Yeah, I like it but it does glitch up often enough to get you killed. (I hate when Niko\Followers can't figure out how to get in the car, that got me killed on the bank mission, right at the final escape, stupid Packie wouldn't get in...)

Regardless of that, it is actually a pretty cool game. Niko at first seems like a wimp, but when Roman gets f*cked with we see how psycho he can really be.

Yeah, Niko is awesome when he get's all hyped up like that. biggrin.gif

Despite everything, San Andreas is still my favorite. The huge map, the perfect mix between realism and gameplay, and CJ is just a complete badass. Still the best game in the series, and I don't think even GTAV is gonna change my mind about that.

Agreed, SA is on my top five favorite games list. (I hate to order my top five, cus' they're all great, but, if did, I think SA would be #2. If I could only take two games with me on a desert island, stranded for life, one would be SA, that's all I'm saying.)

Grove Street Families for life! For LIFE!

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Give me Liberty

• Zaibatsu
  • Australia

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:04 AM

You know it's refreshing to see someone actually criticize GTA IV without being a dickhole about it. Something this forum lacks badly.

Usually it's "GTA IV SUX COZ SA HAZ MOOR FEATURZ ROFLLMAO". Even though I prefer GTA IV to SA I have nothing, but respect for you my firend for using your brain and coming up with a mature, concise and well thought thread without the immature need to rubbish GTA IV like so many immature cocks have on here over the years. icon14.gif

Dr. John
  • Dr. John

Women and Wine

• Members
  • India

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:22 PM

GTA 4 Missions sucks because there isn't much variety. If we compare GTA 4 and TBoGT under Mission then TBoGT will win otherwise, on the basis of Story, GTA 4 is awesome. I played this game and was surprised to see a lot of hard work from R*.

On the other hand, GTA SA is quiet a good game. No problems and no complains but R* wasn't much interested in it. GTA VC can never beat these two at all. Only on story maybe.

You never played GTA 3?! I really don't see GTA SA to be MUCH better game. It wasn't made from scratch. GTA VC and GTA 3 were both behind it.

maxaxle12
  • maxaxle12

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:37 AM

You know it's refreshing to see someone actually criticize GTA IV without being a dickhole about it. Something this forum lacks badly.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Give me Liberty

• Zaibatsu
  • Australia

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:26 AM

QUOTE (maxaxle12 @ Monday, May 14 2012, 17:37)

Why did you copy and paste something from my quote? confused.gif

Dr John13: I don't think the missions in GTA IV suck. To be honest I think the missions in TBOGT try to hard to be like SA. What I like about GTA IV's missions is they're no nonsense and straight to the point. No gimmicks, no bells and whistles. Just flat out grit.

Some people may not have liked the mission structure, but I thought it was crucial for the atmosphere portrayed in the game.

As always though John as you know me VC> All GTAs. icon14.gif

Dr. John
  • Dr. John

Women and Wine

• Members
  • India

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:35 AM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Monday, May 14 2012, 13:56)
QUOTE (maxaxle12 @ Monday, May 14 2012, 17:37)

Why did you copy and paste something from my quote? confused.gif

Dr John13: I don't think the missions in GTA IV suck. To be honest I think the missions in TBOGT try to hard to be like SA. What I like about GTA IV's missions is they're no nonsense and straight to the point. No gimmicks, no bells and whistles. Just flat out grit.

Some people may not have liked the mission structure, but I thought it was crucial for the atmosphere portrayed in the game.

As always though John as you know me VC> All GTAs. icon14.gif

He is a Bot. Ignore him.

Yes, it was OK for a businessman like Niko but people want variety of missions like in GTA SA. You are right about gimmicks. GTA SA had a lot, take Green Goo for example. There was no role of that in the story.

I never seen any businessman shooting people, ramming innocents, dealing drugs, pimping girls and all the things which violates the law. GTA 4 was having a lot of gore. As for TBoGT, there was not much action leaving some great stunts.

You like these kinda topics, right? cool.gif

CJKeane
  • CJKeane

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:42 PM

You're actually right about some stuff.But driving is not that bad,except that the cars have moon-like gravity,which is pathetic.
user posted image

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Catch a ride!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:05 PM

I can't believe people still think the driving in SA is better than it is in GTA IV. If you wan't III era like handling just play Saints Row.

Axeman420
  • Axeman420

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE (illegal_luggage @ Monday, May 14 2012, 15:05)
I can't believe people still think the driving in SA is better than it is in GTA IV. If you wan't III era like handling just play Saints Row.

San Andreas' handling is nothing like GTA3 era handling...

JustRob
  • JustRob

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:45 PM

Is the driving in SA more realistic then in IV? No. But that's what makes it more fun. See, as a GTA fan I don't seek realism. The first GTA game I played was in a topdown view, I was jacking cars and running people over, using a rocket launcher to blow sh*t up, and driving a tank crushing everything in my way.

I don't need realism. It's okay in IV, but just a tad too much. For example, when you run in front of a driving car and get run over and lose health, that is something I could do without.

ddyoung
  • ddyoung

get freaky... not that freaky

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:50 AM

congratulations, your only about 4 years late to the party

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Give me Liberty

• Zaibatsu
  • Australia

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:25 AM

QUOTE (JustRob @ Tuesday, May 15 2012, 09:45)

Is the driving in SA more realistic then in IV? No. But that's what makes it more fun. See, as a GTA fan I don't seek realism. The first GTA game I played was in a topdown view, I was jacking cars and running people over, using a rocket launcher to blow sh*t up, and driving a tank crushing everything in my way.

I don't need realism. It's okay in IV, but just a tad too much. For example, when you run in front of a driving car and get run over and lose health, that is something I could do without.

Eh in the 14 years of being a GTA fan running out in front of a car and being run over has ALWAYS resulted in loss of health. It's not exclusive to GTA IV.

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Catch a ride!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:33 PM

I believe the handling in IV was perfect. You have proper damage now and way better physics. It may be a bit harder to drive but I find it more fun because the driver has to have more control now rather than just turn a right hand corner at 100mph without braking like in SA. I understand that you prefer the more arcade style but I and many others have moved on from that and love the new handling. I find driving in III era games pretty boring because all the roads are flat and the cars just grip like mad. At the time of SA release this handling was ok and I got on fine with it but since playing GTA IV and it's episodes, I can't go back.

Axeman420
  • Axeman420

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:58 AM

QUOTE (illegal_luggage @ Tuesday, May 15 2012, 21:33)
I believe the handling in IV was perfect. You have proper damage now and way better physics. It may be a bit harder to drive but I find it more fun because the driver has to have more control now rather than just turn a right hand corner at 100mph without braking like in SA. I understand that you prefer the more arcade style but I and many others have moved on from that and love the new handling. I find driving in III era games pretty boring because all the roads are flat and the cars just grip like mad. At the time of SA release this handling was ok and I got on fine with it but since playing GTA IV and it's episodes, I can't go back.

IV's handling is fine, for just cruising around, but, that's about it, it sucks at high speeds, and for stunts.

If you want to believe it's perfect, go for it, but, I've driven real cars, and did real stunts, in real life, and IV is not as realistic as ppl think.

Like I said, you can deal with IV's handling, you can pass the missions, etc, that's gaming, you learn the controls, the system presented, and win, or don't.

But, bottom line, the cars spin out too easily, slide too far, don't brake properly, and make the missions more challenging than they need to be. (ie, it could be better, which is what I said in my first post.)

JustRob
  • JustRob

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:15 AM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Tuesday, May 15 2012, 11:25)
QUOTE (JustRob @ Tuesday, May 15 2012, 09:45)

Eh in the 14 years of being a GTA fan running out in front of a car and being run over has ALWAYS resulted in loss of health. It's not exclusive to GTA IV.

Yeah but GTAIV is the only one where you get thrown halfway across the street if you accidentally run in front of a car. Plus the health loss is more severe then in previous GTA games.

Axeman420
  • Axeman420

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:41 AM Edited by Axeman420, 16 May 2012 - 09:02 AM.

This mission "Out of Commission" is absolute BS..

First off, the guys goons have the luck of Irish, or some sh*t, because, (after they p*ssed me off)I walked through launching missiles like a mad man, and they manage survive nearly every shot.. (Even shots that killed me, when i was FURTHER away from the explosion...)

So, whatever, I get past the goons, to the second sequence, I get a glimpse of my target:

Actually, let's stop a second, a cutscene triggers, and I'm talking to my target, he's right there, why would Niko let him go, why would I, I wouldn't, he would have died right here, end of mission....

Anyways, so after the scene, I see him again, and I shoot him right in the head as he's going down a ladder, he survives, he's immortal, more scripted BS.

So, I get to the chase sequence, and of course, I have to use a bike, took me a few tries to beat that, the first time, due to first person camera mode, took too long switching cameras, he escaped, the second time, a barrel came out of nowhere, and flips me, I think the other time I just under jumped a gap, and landed in water.

So, I finally get past all that BS, to what appears to be the final segment, and a stray missile takes out Roman, and here I am....

I like a challenge as much as anybody, but where's the challenge here, gimping me with janky rockets that seem to kill me better than anyone else, giving me a crappy bike to chase a boat, pitting me against an immortal, assholes taking potshots at Roman, f*cking barrels wiping me out, it's just, BS..

icon13.gif

--

After beating it, well, the result was quite unsatisfactory, I'm trying not to spoiler too much here, but, really? That's how they did it, like that?

I'm just glad this game has such great modding potential, I have a lot of issues to fix...

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Give me Liberty

• Zaibatsu
  • Australia

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:03 AM

QUOTE (Axeman420 @ Wednesday, May 16 2012, 12:58)
QUOTE (illegal_luggage @ Tuesday, May 15 2012, 21:33)

IV's handling is fine, for just cruising around, but, that's about it, it sucks at high speeds, and for stunts.

If you want to believe it's perfect, go for it, but, I've driven real cars, and did real stunts, in real life, and IV is not as realistic as ppl think.

Like I said, you can deal with IV's handling, you can pass the missions, etc, that's gaming, you learn the controls, the system presented, and win, or don't.

But, bottom line, the cars spin out too easily, slide too far, don't brake properly, and make the missions more challenging than they need to be. (ie, it could be better, which is what I said in my first post.)

I've been driving for almost a decade now and for the type of game it is I think the driving physics in GTA IV are superb. It's no Forza or Gran Turismo, but for a sandbox game it's really the only game I've felt that the driving has been spot on outside of a full fledged racing game.

It took me a while to get the hang of it, but nothing else compares IMO.

Zee
  • Zee

Shut up, sit down, relax.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:54 PM

QUOTE (Axeman420 @ Wednesday, May 16 2012, 03:41)

First off, the guys goons have the luck of Irish, or some sh*t, because, (after they p*ssed me off)I walked through launching missiles like a mad man, and they manage survive nearly every shot.. (Even shots that killed me, when i was FURTHER away from the explosion...)

So, whatever, I get past the goons, to the second sequence, I get a glimpse of my target:

Actually, let's stop a second, a cutscene triggers, and I'm talking to my target, he's right there, why would Niko let him go, why would I, I wouldn't, he would have died right here, end of mission....

Anyways, so after the scene, I see him again, and I shoot him right in the head as he's going down a ladder, he survives, he's immortal, more scripted BS.

So, I get to the chase sequence, and of course, I have to use a bike, took me a few tries to beat that, the first time, due to first person camera mode, took too long switching cameras, he escaped, the second time, a barrel came out of nowhere, and flips me, I think the other time I just under jumped a gap, and landed in water.

So, I finally get past all that BS, to what appears to be the final segment, and a stray missile takes out Roman, and here I am....

I like a challenge as much as anybody, but where's the challenge here, gimping me with janky rockets that seem to kill me better than anyone else, giving me a crappy bike to chase a boat, pitting me against an immortal, assholes taking potshots at Roman, f*cking barrels wiping me out, it's just, BS..

icon13.gif

--

After beating it, well, the result was quite unsatisfactory, I'm trying not to spoiler too much here, but, really? That's how they did it, like that?

I'm just glad this game has such great modding potential, I have a lot of issues to fix...

The last mission is abysmal and makes no sense, and that godawful bike jump sequence, half the people couldnt even make it the first try. This game is nothing but sh*tty scripted chases. Theres modding potential, but i dont have a rig capable of playing IV at the moment, maybe id like it better than the terrible ps3 version.

Axeman420
  • Axeman420

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:31 PM Edited by Axeman420, 16 May 2012 - 03:35 PM.

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Wednesday, May 16 2012, 09:03)
I've been driving for almost a decade now and for the type of game it is I think the driving physics in GTA IV are superb. It's no Forza or Gran Turismo, but for a sandbox game it's really the only game I've felt that the driving has been spot on outside of a full fledged racing game.

It took me a while to get the hang of it, but nothing else compares IMO.

Well, to your first comment, I have to say, many ppl have been driving for decades, and yet, aren't that good at it, so that does little to reassure me of your skills.

Me, let me give you an example:

Where I used to live, there was a road, it was one lane, and ran next to a lake(about 10ft between them), there was about a 15ft drop off into the lake, with only wooden post as a barrier, the other side, was a cliff, that drops off about 100ft, at a very steep grade, it also had wooden post. (Like, short telephone polls, about 3-4ft tall, 3-4ft apart.)

The road makes a 90 degree turn, coming onto the straightaway(which is as described above, cliffs of doom on each side.), I took the 90 at about 60mph, my car went onto two wheels, I then drove it that way for about 80 yards or so. (I was basically two wheeling down the center of the straightaway, and gently sat her down after I'd had enough.)

(Don't try this at home kiddies, you'll die... You've been warned..)

Like I said, the system is okay for cruising around, but, for really pushing the cars to their limit, the system doesn't hold up.

The game has an almost identical car to the one I used in the above "stunt", and let me tell you, the games version, doesn't come close to the real thing, it slides around like it's on skates, the real thing, grips so hard it will two wheel with no assistance, ie, no ramps, etc,. (ie, the games too floaty..)

Anyways, like I said, it's not terrible, it just needs work, I like the physics, they just aren't accurate where it counts, so I have to drive much more cautiously than I would in reality, which isn't much fun to me. (When I play games, I like to push the limits even further than I can in reality, not less.)

Anyways, I'm not interested in changing your opinion, just clarifying, why I don't share it. biggrin.gif

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Give me Liberty

• Zaibatsu
  • Australia

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:00 PM

QUOTE (Axeman420 @ Thursday, May 17 2012, 02:31)
Anyways, like I said, it's not terrible, it just needs work

Remmeber at the time the physics were new. I'm sure they'll be more refined in GTA V. smile.gif

JustRob
  • JustRob

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:58 PM

QUOTE (Axeman420 @ Wednesday, May 16 2012, 08:41)

icon13.gif

--

I just tried Out Of Commission twice, failed both. The first try I got through to the roofs but was shot by one guy in the back who I couldn't target. Second try I hardly managed to even enter the warehouse with depleted ammo and no armor.

I agree that mission is insane. f*ck, I hope I can even do it without cheats. I tried my best and hardly even got halfway through it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users