Anyone else running linux?

8 replies to this topic
ChopTheDog.
  • ChopTheDog.

War. War never changes.

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:33 PM

Hey all, I was just wondering if anyone else is running Ubuntu or any other linux type OS's (Fedora etc.)

So?

Prometheus
  • Prometheus

• None

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:37 PM

I'm running ubuntu besides W7, but I occasionally use it.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:38 PM

Yes. I have an Ubuntu install here at home and i have a few different flavors running at work. I still prefer AIX though.

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

The boatman stays with the boat.

• Members

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:00 AM

At different points in time I've run Linux Mint and Ubuntu on my Laptop, and I ran SuSE on my desktop for a while. Now I've just got Crunchbang Linux on an extra desktop, I wanted to install Arch on it, but the keyboard jack has apparently stopped working entirely. confused.gif
And of course the Droid is Linux-based.

OzzySM12
  • OzzySM12

Hmm...

• Members

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:46 PM

I use a few different ones
  • work laptop runs Linux Mint Debian Edition
  • home server/media backend runs Ubuntu Server
  • media center frontends run Mythbuntu
  • old laptop (400Mhz CPU with 64MB RAM tounge.gif ) I use in the garage for documenting car restorations runs DSL (damn small linux)
My main PC I use at home (one I'm on just now) runs Windows 7, but once I finish a few projects that require windows software I'll be moving to Linux Mint Debian Edition or just Debian itself.

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

• Members

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:52 PM

QUOTE (OzzySM12 @ Wednesday, May 9 2012, 13:46)
My main PC I use at home (one I'm on just now) runs Windows 7, but once I finish a few projects that require windows software I'll be moving to Linux Mint Debian Edition or just Debian itself.

I never liked Mint on my laptop, always felt like I was running Windows 95 or 98. I was much more pleased with Ubuntu, though I was Dual booting with Vista at the time and the upgrade to 7 killed Grub. It's an easy fix to get Ubuntu running again but I lack the motivation. confused.gif

But that's just me.

OzzySM12
  • OzzySM12

Hmm...

• Members

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE (leik oh em jeez! @ Wednesday, May 9 2012, 18:52)
QUOTE (OzzySM12 @ Wednesday, May 9 2012, 13:46)

I never liked Mint on my laptop, always felt like I was running Windows 95 or 98. I was much more pleased with Ubuntu, though I was Dual booting with Vista at the time and the upgrade to 7 killed Grub. It's an easy fix to get Ubuntu running again but I lack the motivation. confused.gif

But that's just me.

I did not like the standard Mint with Gnome (think it was version 10 or 11 I had), but Mint Debian Edition is a completly different animal.

Way faster that the Ubuntu breeds especially if you use Xfce. Though, it does take a bit more time installing things that require packages that are not in the Mint repos yet. But most of them are easily found in Debian Testing.

If you are confident using linux then you'll get on fine with Debian Edition, but people who are not used to linux (or the Terminal) will hate it.

Edit: O' and you need to know how to manually partition the drive to install it. Think thats something which scares off new users.

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

• Members

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:16 PM

I was using Debian Edition with Gnome, the UI just felt like cheap plastic to me. Like XP except it didn't leave me feeling nostalgic. I'm not well versed but do love learning the new OS, I love CrunchBang on the spare desktop.

OzzySM12
  • OzzySM12

Hmm...

• Members

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE (leik oh em jeez! @ Wednesday, May 9 2012, 19:16)
I was using Debian Edition with Gnome, the UI just felt like cheap plastic to me. Like XP except it didn't leave me feeling nostalgic. I'm not well versed but do love learning the new OS, I love CrunchBang on the spare desktop.

For what I do at work speed it my main priority, so use Xfce which does feel crap when you first use it, but you do grow to love it.

First Ubuntu I used was Gnome 2 and I loved it, but with Gnome 3, MATE & Unity I think some distros are going more for looks than ability or speed.

I am a bit of a minimalist though, so I'm happy with a really basic UI which I can then tailor with only the things I use.

Never heard of CrunchBang before, but looks good. Got it on download now, so will give the LiveCD a spin later tonight.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users