Photo

Staunton - San Francisco?

28 replies to this topic
blazeGTAS
  • blazeGTAS

Prankster

• Members

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:52 PM

So I was watching the film War (2007 with jet li and jason statham, good film!) which was based in San Francisco. Anyway, this shot from the film:

user posted image

Looks quite similar to this area from GTA3 (Couldn't find a better picture)

user posted image

Then I found this picture on wikia:

user posted image

Which bears some resemblance to the Golden Gate bridge:
user posted image

So I looked up where the Golden Gate bridge links to (Marin County), which has no resembelance to Portland island, however, could Shoreside Vale have been loosely based on Marin County? Marin seems to have alot of upper class houses in a grassy area, much like SSV.

user posted image
user posted image

Marin County also has a reservoir, as does SSV:
user posted image
user posted image

There are quite a few structural references to San Francisco in the game, so is it possible Staunton or even the entire map was inspired by San Francisco? I could be onto something but then again I could also be an idiot haha.

_Rob_
  • _Rob_

Game Dev, Graphics Artist

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:40 PM

Well GTA3 was never a "New York" or "San Francisco" map, it is a generic American city, that is what R* set out to do, but I agree some of the locations you mention probably did inspire the corresponding ones smile.gif

sibs44
  • sibs44

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:47 PM

LC is made up of many different cities. Yes, from using this example you can say it's like SF, NY, maybe a bit of Chicago in there.

Kajjy
  • Kajjy

Gay Furry Extraordinaire

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:56 PM

I rember reading somewhere that Liberty City was never mean't to be New York,but rather, a city built off of design and architecture of many American cities.
Liberty City is basically a symbol of America.
Maby thats why they did Liberty in IV.They felt that III era Liberty judt didnt capture New York,so they redid it to match NY.

thecommander
  • thecommander

You can forget about the miscarrige or keep drinking.

• Members

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:32 AM

I could be wrong, but I remember reading somewhere that Liberty City in GTA3 was based off northeastern US cities like Philadelphia, New York, and Boston. But I guess they could of made it from whatever cities they chose.

blazeGTAS
  • blazeGTAS

Prankster

• Members

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:29 PM

I wonder why it was never made obvious where III was based? I mean it's easy to tell Vice City was based in Miami, and in San Andreas it was LA, San Francisco and Vegas but III looks like a mixture of areas.

Kajjy
  • Kajjy

Gay Furry Extraordinaire

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:50 AM

QUOTE (thecommander @ Saturday, May 12 2012, 06:32)
I could be wrong, but I remember reading somewhere that Liberty City in GTA3 was based off northeastern US cities like Philadelphia, New York, and Boston. But I guess they could of made it from whatever cities they chose.

For a second there I thought I double posted,but it seems we just use the sama avatar lol.gif

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Godfather

• Australia
  • Best Member in an Official Group 2012

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:04 PM Edited by Miamivicecity, 15 May 2012 - 12:09 PM.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but when I first played GTA III it just looked like NYC to me minus the Statue of Liberty. Even if it wasn't meant to be a specific city its NYC influence was very evident even back then IMO.

It's obvious now because of forums such as this, but if you asked me in 2001 what city LC was based on I would've said NYC without giving any thought to another city influenced in it.

sibs44
  • sibs44

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:10 PM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Tuesday, May 15 2012, 06:04)
I'm not sure about anyone else, but when I first played GTA III it just looked like NYC to me minus the Statue of Liberty. Even if it wasn't meant to be a specific city its NYC influence was very evident even back then IMO.

It's obvious now because of forums such as this, but if you asked me in 2001 what city LC was based on I would've said NYC without giving any thought to another city influenced in it.

Agreed. However when I started to look into the architecture of Staunton I thought it resembled Chicago a little bit because of the "newer" buildings look.

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:16 PM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Tuesday, May 15 2012, 12:04)

Same here. I always had the feeling that GTA3 was based a little bit on NYC, though only loosely. Then I remember reading an article online that said the same thing, and even Wikipedia states that 3 is based on NYC, yet I'm not saying this means it's true or anything, but many sources seem to hold the belief that Liberty City in III was based on NYC. Then you have the story about the game getting changed due to the 9/11 attacks, yet again in NYC, and many people still hold the belief that the Construction Yard on Staunton Island is meant to resemble Ground Zero in some respect.

Adrian J.
  • Adrian J.

Architecture Lover

• Members

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:23 AM Edited by Adrian J., 23 May 2012 - 04:27 AM.

Not sure about rest of the city but Staunton Island does has some buildings that represent NYC, and I should know because I live here.
1. City Hall
user posted image
2. St. Patrick's Cathedral
user posted image
3. Time Sq
user posted image
4. Rockefeller Plaza Entrance
user posted image
5. obvious...
user posted image
6. 500 Fifth Avenue
user posted image
7. 20 Exchange Place (except the top)
user posted image
8. Trump Tower
user posted image
...and some other stuff, plus the beta LCPD had NYPD colors.
So yeah, not all of LC was based on NYC but some things are sure as hell based on it, but I don't see the SF resemblance.

SL1DE
  • SL1DE

GoodFella

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:04 AM

No, It's all New York.

DustyRider
  • DustyRider

Rat

• Members

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:10 PM

Since when Callahan Bridge is similar to Golden Gate Bridge? GGB have two pillars, while CB only have one, not to mention CB don't have any type of walkway.
The photo u've got was from beta, if it was similar to anything I would say it resembles Robert F. Kennedy Bridge

JurzeeDee
  • JurzeeDee

Marty Chonks

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:47 PM

Its inspired by all the major cities Including Philly and Trenton NJ.

Adrian J.
  • Adrian J.

Architecture Lover

• Members

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:28 PM Edited by Adrian J., 09 June 2012 - 02:28 AM.

Not all major cities, only east coast cities.

sibs44
  • sibs44

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:40 AM

QUOTE (Adrian J. @ Friday, Jun 8 2012, 17:28)
No all major cities, only east coast cities.

There is a little bit of Chicago in it as well.

Adrian J.
  • Adrian J.

Architecture Lover

• Members

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:27 AM

Only thing that reminds me of Chicago is 'Lips 106 HQ' that looks like Marina City complex, that's about it.
One thing about LC that's from west coast is the airport terminal that looks like it was inspired by LAX's theme building.

GrandMaster Smith
  • GrandMaster Smith

©

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:39 AM

Some of the map honestly reminded me of Portland, Oregon.. ontop of one of the islands being called Portland if I remember correctly lol

Claude_Speed_GTAIII
  • Claude_Speed_GTAIII

Need for Claude Speed.

• Members

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:39 AM

QUOTE (GrandMaster Smith @ Saturday, Jun 9 2012, 07:39)
Some of the map honestly reminded me of Portland, Oregon.. ontop of one of the islands being called Portland if I remember correctly lol

Same!

sibs44
  • sibs44

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:46 AM

The weird thing is, I played GTA III the summer I visited San Francisco and I couldn't help but think to myself "Wow, this place reminds me of when I went to SF!"

Adrian J.
  • Adrian J.

Architecture Lover

• Members

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:17 AM

So which one sibs? SF or Chicago, cuz I can't see any of them in LC

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:12 AM

LC is loosely based on New York. Its very obvious. Especially with Staunton. Yes it doesn't have many of the land marks but you can still tell that NY had the most inspiration on LC.

Adrian J.
  • Adrian J.

Architecture Lover

• Members

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:38 PM

Oh it have few more landmarks, I could post more pics comparing LC architecture to the one from NYC, but no one cares anyway.
And just like you said nkjellman, it's obvious with Staunton, I mean a city with an island in the middle having the most skyscrapers, and a park in the middle, I mean c'mon.

Irrational
  • Irrational

Federação das Américas

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE (Adrian J. @ Monday, Jun 11 2012, 12:38)
I could post more pics comparing LC architecture to the one from NYC, but no one cares anyway.

I do, it's pretty interesting. smile.gif

sibs44
  • sibs44

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE (Adrian J. @ Sunday, Jun 10 2012, 20:17)
So which one sibs? SF or Chicago, cuz I can't see any of them in LC

As far as atmosphere goes, III's LC feels like a far more run down SF. But as far as some buildings go, the architecture looks like the neo-architecture of Chicago, what I mean by that is the glass-style buildings, something that NYC didn't really have pre 9/11. The Geography itself, however, is definitely based on NYC.

xXGst0395Xx
  • xXGst0395Xx

Boss

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:45 PM

Liberty City in the GTA III Era was loosely based on New York City, though I think it took inspiration from other cities as well like Chicago. Liberty City in IV was more based on New York City.

Adrian J.
  • Adrian J.

Architecture Lover

• Members

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:07 PM Edited by Adrian J., 11 June 2012 - 11:57 PM.

QUOTE (sibs44 @ Monday, Jun 11 2012, 17:03)
the architecture looks like the neo-architecture of Chicago, what I mean by that is the glass-style buildings

Do you even know what the neo-architecture looks like? cuz it ain't glassy, the one you probably have in mind is Neomodern.
And NY did had neomodern buildings before 9/11:
Three World Financial Center-1985
1540 Broadway-1990
101 Park Avenue-1982
Trump Tower-1983
599 Lexington Avenue-1986
1095 Avenue of the Americas-1974
590 Madison Avenue-1983
...and so forth.
And as for you ClaudeSpeedRulez, I've posted some pics on the previous page, plus some new ones:

don't know the name but it's on Broadway
user posted image
55 Water St but smalleruser posted image
don't know this one either but it's across the street from 500 Fifth Ave
user posted image
Cleopatra's Obelisk in Central Park
user posted image
And our tallest in LC look's similar to 101 Park Avenue
user posted image
Tweed courthouse minus one pillar
user posted image

sibs44
  • sibs44

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:41 AM

Yes I was definitely talking about glassy buildings. Neomodern. I don't know, I haven't looked into it too much. Only 2 of the buildings you have posted are the ones I have in mind. The others are quite old.

Adrian J.
  • Adrian J.

Architecture Lover

• Members

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:53 AM

Which ones you had in mind? because previously you've stated that NY didn't had any before 9/11.
In any case most of LC is based on NYC, I only don't know what to think about Shoreside, geographically is where NJ should be, but it's not it. The bridge doesn't look like G.W Bridge, maybe a mix of Bronx with upstate NY, like some parts of Westchester County.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users