Photo

Need help with Windows CE

7 replies to this topic
ccrogers15
  • ccrogers15

REQUESTED BAN

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:30 PM

Ive got a netbook with windows CE on it. It wont allow me to access system properties or anything. And the control panel is not even on the computer, its been deleted. So my problem is that i cant do anything to change settings. It also dont have Internet Explorer or any browser. How can i FORCE windows CE to recognize plugged in USB devices?

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

The boatman stays with the boat.

• Members

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:54 PM

Simple answer - Install a full version of Windows.
Friend of mine had a netbook with Win7 Starter. He regretted buying it until he put 7 Ultimate on it.

ccrogers15
  • ccrogers15

REQUESTED BAN

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:59 PM

QUOTE (leik oh em jeez! @ Monday, May 7 2012, 22:54)
Simple answer - Install a full version of Windows.
Friend of mine had a netbook with Win7 Starter. He regretted buying it until he put 7 Ultimate on it.

Um i cant actually/

Specs:

Processor -- 300MHz Via VT8505
Memory -- 128MB of RAM and 2GB of flash storage
Display -- 7-inch screen with 800 x 400 resolution
Expansion -- SD slot
Networking:
LAN -- 10/100 Ethernet
WAN -- 802.11a/b/g
Other I/O:
3 x USB 2.0
Audio -- mic in and headphone out
Battery -- two-cell, 1800mAh pack provides two hours of operation
Dimensions -- 8.4 x 5.6 x 1.2 inches
Weight -- 1.4 pounds

Model here: http://www.windowsfo...rs-Smartbook-7/

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:56 PM

Isn't Window CE new name called Windows Embedded?
Windows CE is probably the only system you can run with the specs like that and the last time I used Windows CE was 12 years ago, when PDA was still around.
Yep, this was way before for the iPhone, tablet, or other mobile devices.

luceberg
  • luceberg

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:07 AM Edited by luceberg, 08 May 2012 - 12:31 AM.

Someone with your problems.. a quote from this website;

http://superuser.com...dows-ce-netbook

"I'm afraid you're probably stuck with the version of IE that's on there. I had a netbook just like this and took it back after one day because I just couldn't do ANYTHING with it. All the Windows CE we browsers I've found (and believe me, I've spent a long time looking!) are either .cab files that will only run on mobile phones (you may be able to get software to convert the .cab files to executables that'll run under Windows - .exe files - but I didn't try as I'd given up hope...), or just won't install under CE, and these netbooks are generally very, very limited in upgrade potential. Mine did not allow changing the operating system, and the version of IE on it was so ancient and slow that it wouldn't even load Facebook properly, even with image support turned off, and it wasn't flash or java compatible - well, not to modern standards anyway. I was so disappointed that it could do so little (certainly not what I'd classify as an Internet browser when it could barely load the most simplistic of web pages), it was a shame as the unit itself was so dinky and cute..."

But maybe he is talking about an older model than yours..

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

• Members

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:56 PM

QUOTE (Stinky12 @ Monday, May 7 2012, 18:56)
Isn't Window CE new name called Windows Embedded?
Windows CE is probably the only system you can run with the specs like that and the last time I used Windows CE was 12 years ago, when PDA was still around.
Yep, this was way before for the iPhone, tablet, or other mobile devices.

The specs isn't the problem, it's the CPU. He meets all the recommended specs for Windows XP, but isn't running an x86 CPU.

OzzySM12
  • OzzySM12

Hmm...

• Members

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:58 PM Edited by OzzySM12, 09 May 2012 - 07:03 PM.

Depending on what you use the system for, you could look into DSL (Damn Small Linux) or Puppy Linux. Both can run nice on really slow hardware, and I think both support loads of processors, though that may just be Puppy Linux.

I have an old laptop with a 400MHz CPU and 64MB RAM that I use in my garage. Had a hell of a time getting even winflp (windows fundamentals for legacy PCs) running on it, but got DSL running great.

@leik oh em jeez!
He regretted buying it until he put 7 Ultimate on it.

I hope he did not make the same mistake as me. Went and got Win 7 Ultimate before discovering the only additional things over Pro it has are BitLocker and extra languages. Never gonna use BitLocker and only speak English... waste of money for me sad.gif

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

• Members

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:05 PM Edited by leik oh em jeez!, 09 May 2012 - 07:08 PM.

QUOTE (OzzySM12 @ Wednesday, May 9 2012, 13:58)
I hope he did not make the same mistake as me. Went and got Win 7 Ultimate before discovering the only additional things over Pro it has are BitLocker and extra languages. Never gonna use BitLocker and only speak English... waste of money for me sad.gif

No worries, it didn't cost him anything. ph34r.gif

@op: That was my mistake for recommending a full version of Windows earlier, I didn't realize you were running an ARM CPU.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users