13 replies to this topic
Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:47 PM

Rules:
No polls, just a review and your opinion on why you believe the film you've chosen should stay higher up in the list. 50 words or more, 40 is accepted if you have expressed your opinion in a satisfactory standard.

Have fun!

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

The vulgar, Irish, writer!

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [Expression]

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE (Indi @ Monday, May 7 2012, 19:47)
Rules:
No polls, just a review and your opinion on why you believe the film you've chosen should stay higher up in the list. 50 words or more, 40 is accepted if you have expressed your opinion in a satisfactory standard.

Have fun!

Although BTTF is a classic action adventure comedy, Boyz hits the mark higher because it has a much stronger political message; it hits you more emotionally. cryani.gif

Ronnyboy
  • Ronnyboy

Blind leading the deaf, leading the socially inept.

• Members

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:29 PM

BTTF embodies every great hook and type of story (drama, scifi, romance, comedy, etc.) and embodies it into a remarkable and famous movie that led to successful sequels and a large fanbase. Boyz just doesn't have the same appeal and global fame as BTTF.

DeeperRed
  • DeeperRed

Damn it feels good to be gangsta

• Members

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:19 PM

Ouch. These two films mean a lot to me. Boyz in the Hood really did a phenomenal job of capturing ghetto life, showing its issues without going stereotypical and over the top. I am a british boy from a well off family, I know nothing of the life however it seemed very real and really dragged me into the movie. Back to Future was a movie of not just my childhood, but whenever I just want to kick back and have a great time. Everything about it is great, especially the writing. Its a film I loved when I was 10 and still love now, nothing to do with nostalgia, its a great film.

If I had to choose one though, I am going to have to go with Back To the Future. Its just a very well crafted tale that anybody can enjoy.

Cuban Warlord
  • Cuban Warlord

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:04 PM

Wow great match up here. Both films are up there for me in terms of my favorite films. You have BTTF which is a comedy classic and a childhood favorite of mine. The movie is fun and I still laugh and enjoy it every time I watch it. Directed by Spielberg and pretty much has it all.

For me Boys N The Hood is a powerful film that paints a picture of life in the LA ghetto. With a great cast that includes Cuba Gooding Jr and Ice Cube this film tells the story of a African American boy who grows up and tries to stay out of trouble but finds out that its very hard to do and ends up being pulled in. It is a true story and leaves you with a message that sticks with you.

BTTF is a fun film that you can watch over and over again, but Boys N The Hood is a film that has a message and sticks with you.

+ 1 for Boys N The Hood

The One Called Vega
  • The One Called Vega

In actuality, I'm the one called 'vinvegar'...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:10 PM

Back to the Future is one of my favorite movies of all time. It's one of the very few films that touch upon disparate genres such as science fiction, adventure, comedy, romance, etc. in great depth. BTTF's plot is very well-executed from all angles that has a unique problem and situation and a great solution and a wonderful ending that leads perfectly into BTTF 2. BTTF is incredibly original and well-created, plus it has one of the best movie soundtracks around. It has a great cast, Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd I feel were incredible in this movie as well as a great supporting cast.

Boyz n the Hood is another great movie. It is a very emotional film with a great plot and characters. You get very attached to the characters and towards the end of the movie, you get to see what happens to them. All in all, a great film.

My vote though goes to Back to the Future as I think it's just an overall, better movie.

ShaneHunter
  • ShaneHunter

The Boss

• Members

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:40 AM

WHY IN THE BLUE HELL DO THESE TWO FILMS HAVE TO GO UP AGAINST EACH OTHER?!?!?!

In all honesty both films in terms of quality are amazing, however i'll go with the nostalgia factor (Back To The Future)

Had so many memories with the trilogy and while Boyz N The Hood is the more powerful film of the two, Back To The Future is the ultimate combination of fun, creativity and all the other technical aspects. It's hard to choose a definitive favorite of these two but i'll go with my heart. Back To The Future it is.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Boards Of Canada

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:50 PM

Based on making a creative and fun film with time-travel that gets you thinking, I must go with BTTF. Boys In The Hood is great but I don't think the film can be enjoyed by so many generations and also such as cross section of society as BTTF can.

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:48 PM

Back to the Future, by far. the film is great, full of laughs, humour, mystery. It keeps the viewer on the edge of their seat. The final scenes are utterly brilliant, never before has a movie taken you in like this. Great testiment to the era.

Boss Greaser
  • Boss Greaser

Together We Rise!

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:01 PM

Tough one... I say Boyz N The Hood.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:10 PM

I'm fresh after Boyz in tha Hood as I've finished it not far that 20 minutes ago. Back To The Future is still in my memory. Let's get it done then.

BTTF is movie of my childhood, I loved and I still do and I've watched on every possible occasion. There is nothing really strange if you think about it, because this movie has everything you may actually want. It was made by well known director R. Zemeckis, it was played by almost perfect duo in cinematography - MJ Fox and C Lloyd, whose characters were great, funny, inteligent, very likeable and memorable (try to say "great scott" without copying Lloyd's accent), it has great background characters (George McFly played by Crispin Glover and Biff Tannen played by Thomas Wilson), it has great soundtrack (who doesn't like Johnny B. Goode) and one of most iconic car in history (which would be forgotten if it wasn't for that movie).
BTTF is one of the movies I and many people can still watch to these days. The FX that still looks great, still interesting story and all these little details are turning every seanse in unforgettable experience.

BITH is good, but it isn't much appealing for somebody who isn't into black culture. If you don't like rap, ghetto life and blacks then it's definitely not for you. I got no problems with these and I found this movie quite interesting, but unfortunately a bit cliche in some aspects guy passed his test, but he died before seeing the results - how many times I've seen that?. The whole black culture was also a bit tiring, maybe because I've played SA before that movie, and I was a bit sick and tired of these "dogs, wassups, homies and all that bullsh*t" One more thing: somebody said that BITH got political message in it. I've seen only one message there: with that thinking blacks are going nowhere, but straight to annihilation. I don't think it's kind of message to show. People who should learned that are too stoned or dumb to understand that and the rest isn't going to do anything about that.
From good things I like acting especially from Fishbourne (I think it was him) and from Gooding Jr. They were very good as father - inteligent man who want good life for his son - a bit hotheaded, but inteligent young guy. Ice cube was square as his nick, he played like piece of wood as usual, rest was okay. I also like story, except this cliche bit it was interesting and inteligent (unfortunately the finale with Doughboy was also quite cheap) and soundtrack with nice hip hop tracks.

My vote goes to Back To The Future.

Guybrush Threepwood
  • Guybrush Threepwood

Wish you were here.

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE (Tycek @ Wednesday, May 9 2012, 22:10)
guy passed his test, but he died before seeing the results - how many times I've seen that?

Name 3 movies this happens in.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:05 PM Edited by Tycek, 09 May 2012 - 10:16 PM.

I can name two for now: Boyz In The Hood, Shawshank Redemption

I am also quite sure it was also somewhere else, maybe it was in Dangerous Minds, but I may be wrong with this title.

It's bugging me, because it was so easy to predict. When he was shot there and his mother already got the result it was perfectly clear that he passed the test. You don't need genius to figure that out.

Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:06 PM

Voting closed.

BTTF wins.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users