Photo

The Problems with Fan Fic

12 replies to this topic
orbitalraindrops
  • orbitalraindrops

Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:49 PM Edited by orbitalraindrops, 07 May 2012 - 12:57 PM.

Blake sighed as he scrolled through the never ending entries of poorly written hastily thrown together fan fictions. It sickened him that he an unpublished author had to read through this drivel. The fan fiction was GTA oriented, never original and certainly never followed up. It irritated him never mind the fact that it was a way for many writers to develop their skills. They cut their teeth by playing in someone else’s sandbox before they develop their own, and it comes with the added benefit that they get to share their love with other fans. Yes, yes, it gets mocked a lot, and while there’s some truth to the idea that there’s a lot of bad fanfiction out there, the same can be said for almost any medium filled with hopeful beginners. What do you want? They’re learning.

Well what Blake wanted was for them to leave. The small writing forum should lose all who didn’t write there own stuff leaving but a handful of members left who had great command over the English language, who deeply knew much about prose. Never mind the fact that the last thing Blake had written was in 2007 or in short story competitions. Never mind the fact that his writing was sub par at best, a badly flowing thriller about the SWAT or some such sh*t. Never mind the fact that although he classed himself as a writer he had never had anything published apart from a poem in his 10th grade English class which had been published along with many others in a compilation of poetry. Never mind the fact that he could give wonderful nail biting critiscism but his own writing was far and few with little merit in both the academic and the entertainment department.

Blake sighed, his flaccid cock hung limply out of his waistband. No doubt after criticizing members for there sub par writing skills and acting as informal moderator he would pleasure himself. Then perhaps he’d practice his craft some more, to try and do something productive that day. People needed to read his work. People needed to read the gems of wisdom that came when he touched the keyboard. Granted his work wasn’t particularly original or unique but it was written by Blake. He was superior to everyone else as he made clear to point out in his criticisms.

A young lad full of talent had come along to the forum, he’d written some good pieces then hits writers block. Blake criticized him heavily for not putting anything out even though the lad said he would. This is regardless of the fact that Blake himself had not written in years.
Another person came by, full of promise looking to try writing a fan fic. WRONG. Blake cried as he pounded his paws against the keyboard. Fan fic wasn’t proper literature and shouldn’t be on this writing forum, a forum only allowed to those like he who could write. Another poured there heart into writing poems. PAH Blake cried saliva dribbling from his mouth. These poems leave much to be desired, I could obviously do so much better. But did Blake. Did Blake ever really. Sure he had talent at some point but his ego went to his head and at the end of it, that was all that was left of Blake. He could certainly talk the talk… but he couldn’t walk the walk.

Blake belched and curled a paw around his stump. He would enjoy himself then he'd do some work. Just like he did yesterday, and the day before, and the day before that.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

I'm the writer.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [Expression]

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:54 PM

QUOTE (orbitalraindrops @ Monday, May 7 2012, 12:49)
Blake sighed as he scrolled through the never ending entries of poorly written hastily thrown together fan fictions. It sickened him that he an unpublished author had to read through this drivel. The fan fiction was GTA oriented, never original and certainly never followed up. It irritated him never mind the fact that it was a way for many writers to develop their skills. They cut their teeth by playing in someone else’s sandbox before they develop their own, and it comes with the added benefit that they get to share their love with other fans. Yes, yes, it gets mocked a lot, and while there’s some truth to the idea that there’s a lot of bad fanfiction out there, the same can be said for almost any medium filled with hopeful beginners. What do you want? They’re learning.

Well what Blake wanted was for them to leave. The small writing forum should lose all who didn’t write there own stuff leaving but a handful of members left who had great command over the English language, who deeply knew much about prose. Never mind the fact that the last thing Blake had written was in 2007 or in short story competitions. Never mind the fact that his writing was sub par at best, a badly flowing thriller about the SWAT or some such sh*t. Never mind the fact that although he classed himself as a writer he had never had anything published apart from a poem in his 10th grade English class which had been published along with many others in a compilation of poetry. Never mind the fact that he could give wonderful nail biting critiscism but his own writing was far and few with little merit in both the academic and the entertainment department.

Blake sighed, his flaccid cock hung limply out of his waistband. No doubt after criticizing members for there sub par writing skills and acting as informal moderator he would pleasure himself. Then perhaps he’d practice his craft some more, to try and do something productive that day. People needed to read his work. People needed to read the gems of wisdom that came when he touched the keyboard. Granted his work wasn’t particularly original or unique but it was written by Blake. He was superior to everyone else as he made clear to point out in his criticisms.

A young lad full of talent had come along to the forum, he’d written some good pieces then hits writers block. Blake criticized him heavily for not putting anything out even though the lad said he would. This is regardless of the fact that Blake himself had not written in years.
Another person came by, full of promise looking to try writing a fan fic. WRONG. Blake cried as he pounded his paws against the keyboard. Fan fic wasn’t proper literature and shouldn’t be on this writing forum, a forum only allowed to those like he who could write. Another poured there heart into writing poems. PAH Blake cried saliva dribbling from his mouth. These poems leave much to be desired, I could obviously do so much better. But did Blake. Did Blake ever really. Sure he had talent at some point but his ego went ot his head and at the end of it all that was left of Blake was that. He could certainly talk the talk… but he couldn’t walk the walk.

I read this and felt oddly strange. Obviously there's more to this than meets the eye but I'm curious as to who you think Blake is. Is it yourself? Someone you know?

It's a very straightforward piece, perhaps you could shed some light on why you wanted to write this?

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:05 PM Edited by Typhus, 09 May 2012 - 08:27 PM.

Wow, that sounds me like. Flaccid cock and all.
I'm honestly wondering if this is about me. I did join in 2007 and I did have a poem published when I was a kid.
But I don't go around intentionally pissing over peoples fan fictions. And, if I remember, I've never acted like an informal moderator.
So, if you have a problem with me, you can just tell me what it is.

I think you may be someone else, you know. I think you've been here before.
Candarelli perhaps?

Still pissed about this?

http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=412182

Given your little sub-title about animals and your private message to myself, I'm still willing to be that this is a dig at me.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:15 PM

I don't know what this was but I didn't like it. Seemed like a rant disguised as prose. It's littered with errors - not just the odd missing comma but the wrong use of there/their etc.

Funny thing is at parts it sounds like me also; I too had a poem published in a compilstion book, and because i try to help and obey the rules, people have called me a wanabe moderator too
but basing this on anyone would be foolish.

I rarely give criticism or negative words, but I can honestly say that I don rate this. Perhaps I'm not getting it I dunno

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

I'm the writer.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Monday, May 7 2012, 18:15)
I don't know what this was but I didn't like it. Seemed like a rant disguised as prose. It's littered with errors - not just the odd missing comma but the wrong use of there/their etc.

Funny thing is at parts it sounds like me also; I too had a poem published in a compilstion book, and because i try to help and obey the rules, people have called me a wanabe moderator too
but basing this on anyone would be foolish.

I rarely give criticism or negative words, but I can honestly say that I don rate this. Perhaps I'm not getting it I dunno

I concur. I believe it is just an allegorical piece with Typhus being the proposed allegory. confused.gif

orbitalraindrops
  • orbitalraindrops

Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:27 PM

It's not Typhus. I certainly wanted to bring him into this discussion though because I think in his Nonesense God Stories he was writing how he felt about life in general and was putting that into his work under the guise of the "Nonesense God". It's interesting though how everyone thinks it's them. Maybe there's a part of Blake in all of you wink.gif .

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

I'm the writer.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE (orbitalraindrops @ Monday, May 7 2012, 19:27)
It's not Typhus. I certainly wanted to bring him into this discussion though because I think in his Nonesense God Stories he was writing how he felt about life in general and was putting that into his work under the guise of the "Nonesense God". It's interesting though how everyone thinks it's them. Maybe there's a part of Blake in all of you wink.gif .

Well, I critique work...But I also post my own work, including fanfiction. In fact the top of the topic list is both my Bar topic and my GTA III Fanfiction; Portland Chase. Masturbation wise? lol.gif

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:35 PM

QUOTE (orbitalraindrops @ Monday, May 7 2012, 19:27)

You could have simply posted in the Nonsense God topic itself, it would have been nice to see it ascend to the top of the page again. I enjoy discussing my work but this is a very unorthodox way of going about it.

orbitalraindrops
  • orbitalraindrops

Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:51 PM

QUOTE (Typhus @ Monday, May 7 2012, 19:35)

I enjoy discussing my work but this is a very unorthodox way of going about it.

You haven't replied once to critiques or assertions in your nonesense god topic. Get on it like sonic boy.

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• The Connection
  • European-Union

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:34 PM Edited by El Zilcho, 09 May 2012 - 08:42 PM.

Nevermind.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE (El Zilcho @ Monday, May 7 2012, 21:34)
Nevermind.

now i'm curious as to what you posted tounge.gif

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• The Connection
  • European-Union

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:27 PM

QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Thursday, May 10 2012, 12:26)
QUOTE (El Zilcho @ Monday, May 7 2012, 21:34)
Nevermind.

now i'm curious as to what you posted tounge.gif

It was a post on an old quote of mine, pretty irrelevant haha.

orbitalraindrops
  • orbitalraindrops

Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:53 PM

I want him to comment and critique this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users