Photo

Liquid

49 replies to this topic
Hydro_PlayboyX
  • Hydro_PlayboyX

#TeamFranklin

• Members

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:25 PM

just watch the trailer, the scene where the black guy rides a jet-ski, water physics look much improved from previous R* games, and also i noticed 2 puddles in trailer and you can see when black guy running from the cops steps into it, you can see the splash

The__Phoenix
  • The__Phoenix

aka bud23

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:58 PM

QUOTE (Ciccibrillo @ Sunday, May 6 2012, 09:38)
The problem is that the management of the liquid physics is much more complex than the solid' one

this.Maybe in gta VII

Chukkles
  • Chukkles

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:14 PM

Did anyone play "Hydrophobia" on XBLA?
Basically it's a 3rd person shooter set in a sinking GIANT cruiser that is holding survivors of the apocalypse.
You are running around in the lower levels were it's flooding, now this is were it gets interesting, water is a physical thing, if a room is filled up and you shoot the glass infront, the water pours out adding to the water already around your feet (sometimes sweeping "you" off your feet).

This idea can definatly be played with and used effectivly in any game, I hope it can be implemented in future GTA's if it's not already an idea in R*'s mind.

Zee
  • Zee

Shut up, sit down, relax.

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom
  • Comedian of the Year 2011

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE (Hydro_PlayboyX @ Sunday, May 6 2012, 11:25)
just watch the trailer, the scene where the black guy rides a jet-ski, water physics look much improved from previous R* games, and also i noticed 2 puddles in trailer and you can see when black guy running from the cops steps into it, you can see the splash

If you ask me, the trailer was an entirely prerendered cutscene, I doubt there was even a beta back then.

DarrinPA
  • DarrinPA

Orange Grove Member

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:21 PM

I've always felt as if Nintendo has been the leader in water looks and physics. I think it's a possibility that GTA V will have better water such as puddles, considering that Mario Sunshine was almost 2 counsole generations behind, but it all comes down to what R*'s focus is. They've had 4 or 5 years to perfect everything.

dont_feed_the_troll
  • dont_feed_the_troll

Dont_feed_the_troll

• Members

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE (omeromer @ Sunday, May 6 2012, 09:13)
This would be really cool.... taking a helicopter with a tank attached to it, filling it in the sea and then dropping it on pedestrians... Though I doubt we will be able to do something like that.

I think that would be too much weight on the chopper dude.

Chukkles
  • Chukkles

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:48 AM

QUOTE (dont_feed_the_troll @ Sunday, May 6 2012, 20:28)
QUOTE (omeromer @ Sunday, May 6 2012, 09:13)
This would be really cool.... taking a helicopter with a tank attached to it, filling it in the sea and then dropping it on pedestrians... Though I doubt we will be able to do something like that.

I think that would be too much weight on the chopper dude.

This is done in real life to put out forest fires.
Certain choppers "are" able to do it.

TyphoonJames
  • TyphoonJames

King Cobra

• Members

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

This idea may just hold water.

Human

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:56 AM

If it was done in other games without putting too much stress on the engine, then I'm all for. If it is possible to be done, I think it would add realism seeing how Southern California ( especially L.A. ) Is prone to heavy rain storms that can lead to flash floods and mudslides.

JamesBuxton
  • JamesBuxton

JB

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:52 PM

On IV, if you shot someone a small puddle of blood would form wouldn't it?

Obviously, this is on a much smaller scale than what you're talking about but if they could do something like that on IV, the newer technologies would provide something much better in V.

Dystopia
  • Dystopia

?

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE (MSC @ Sunday, May 6 2012, 09:22)
Instead of fuel, water could become like this too. When water is fired from a water cannon, it creates a large puddle on the floor which would be slippy for driving, enabling the possibility of creating a skid pan.

Well, water hitting the ground would just make the floor wet really...

Puddles are formed with uneven ground and over a long space of time. So they probably wont implement it. And if they did it would be through the weather, if it rained, certain aspects of the surrounding would fill with puddles because of the terrain. You could bargain on that more.

As for the wet floor, the physics were different in GTAV on different terrain and circumstances so they don't need to change that.

ChillyPhilly
  • ChillyPhilly

Rock 'n' roll stops the traffic.

• Members

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:13 PM

Team Bondi nailed thick liquid (tar) in LA Noire. They blew it out of the park both physically and visually.

GTAMadrid
  • GTAMadrid

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:05 PM

I don't think it's very hard to implement in the game, because the getaway already had something similar in it's third mission i think. You were supposed to steal an ornament from the triads and you could easily get rid of them all by shooting some sort of boiler or something like that, there would be some kind of liquid coming out and if you would shoot that everything would just blow up, ridding you of all the triads happy.gif

73duster
  • 73duster

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:21 PM

I really like the idea that the OP has brought up. There are a ton of things that could be implemented where water or another liquid could be present as part of the environment. I'm no expert on the capabilities of the current consoles, but i would think that having different forms of liquid, that were more than just stationary bodies of water like an ocean, lake or river, would require a lot of processing power. It will undoubtedly happen in the future, but when? It's probably not the right time to focus resources into making that a functioning reality on current games. Perhaps once developers feel like they have done about as much as they could to perfect the other aspects of gaming, they will begin branching out towards things like this.

Snake Without a Tongue
  • Snake Without a Tongue

Franklin Shot Tupac

• Members

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:39 PM

One big improvement would be emerging wet from the water. In IV they simulated this by making Niko slightly slower for a second. Not very convincing. Actual drops or a slippery appearance would be impressive.

The GTA Guy
  • The GTA Guy

The Frisker

• Members

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:29 PM

Didn't Far Cry 2 do something like this? Atleast on the crop fires, when you throw molotov coctail or something burning in the field, it would catch on fire and the fire would go to the direction where it's winding at the moment.
I'd say the same thing should be possible with gas aswell even on the current gen.

I don't know anything about programming really so I might be wrong.

CHILLI
  • CHILLI

Playa

• Members

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:53 PM

FUEL (released by Codemasters) had puddles filling up slightly in rainy weather, so I think having somewhat dynamic puddles is possible.

And Overgrowth (developed by Wolfire) has a nice effect of blood running down the characters. using something similiar could work to make it look as if a liquid is running down a slope or into a pothole.
To keep it believable enough it could be set to only flow a set distance, as if it gets thinner and eventually doesnt have the ability to flow further.

so combining the particle effect from barrels with water and such that were in IV with the "texel running" from Overgrowth along with some tension-looking effect around the edges to give that liquid appearance would be awesome.
I'm not sure if checking if a car or foot is touching the 'liquid' would be easily pulled off or very demanding on the platform, though.

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

It's been a ride

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:31 PM

I agree with everybody pointing out that real fluid dynamics / water physics are not possible in a complex present generation game. However, I think it is easy for the game designers to create localized effects like splashes, wakes, and generated puddles of pooling fuel (for example), that look good and act fairly realistic without going to full liquid physics.

I really liked the puddles in the rain in RDR - that was done well, and it looked great - I hope we have such puddles both in the GTAV countryside and in the streets.

If we can go underwater in GTAV, I hope we can fire weapons underwater and that they implement reasoanble physics and visual effects for it - I would like to see bullet tracks in the water and see rockets and grenades slow down their trajectory in the water.

Sean5
  • Sean5

Erin go Braugh

• Members

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:18 AM

I doubt it would be available for current-gen consoles

ChillyPhilly
  • ChillyPhilly

Rock 'n' roll stops the traffic.

• Members

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:37 AM

QUOTE (Snake Without a Tongue @ Tuesday, May 8 2012, 04:09)
One big improvement would be emerging wet from the water. In IV they simulated this by making Niko slightly slower for a second. Not very convincing. Actual drops or a slippery appearance would be impressive.

John/Jack Marston's clothing would get wet after walking through water.

Rockstar aside, Uncharted provides a good model for water animation and such. Drake's clothes and hair can get wet in varying extents, depending on how much water touches him. Also, only corresponding parts of his clothing would get wet.

Uncharted aside, it's highly possible to include some simple-enough water effects, particularly in relation to making V look more convincing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users