Thought's on the Alienware x51 (i7)

41 replies to this topic
yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:43 PM

Yeah, 2500k is a tad cheaper, thogh on the other hand 3570k supports PCIe3.0. It won't make a huge differente (IMHO ~5% tops), but still. wink.gif
BTW: you Americans are lucky, in Europe GTX680 is nowhere as cheap as in the US (in comparison to HD7970). GTX680 costs 70 more than HD7970. Hell, even when GTX used to cost ~$50 less than Radeon, it was more expensive in Europe. That's not fair confused.gif

SyphonPayne
  • SyphonPayne

E FOR EFFORT!!!

• Members

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE (yojo2 @ Sunday, May 6 2012, 14:43)
Yeah, 2500k is a tad cheaper, thogh on the other hand 3570k supports PCIe3.0. It won't make a huge differente (IMHO ~5% tops), but still. wink.gif
BTW: you Americans are lucky, in Europe GTX680 is nowhere as cheap as in the US (in comparison to HD7970). GTX680 costs 70 more than HD7970. Hell, even when GTX used to cost ~$50 less than Radeon, it was more expensive in Europe. That's not fair confused.gif

True, only way PCIe 3.0 really matters at the moment is if your mobo only does x8 in SLI. Even then it's not a humongous difference, but it can affect minimum framerates (however 99% of games affected the minimum framerate is still above 60fps.)

Yeah, I suppose I feel "lucky," however I'm not jumping on GTX 680 as I really think that the GTX 680 is (hardware-wise) more like an overpriced GTX 660 would be. I think that Nvidia just renamed the 660 to the 680 since ATI/AMD's top-end card still gets trumped.

I personally will be waiting for GK110 as I believe that it is the "true" 680. Hopefully by then, the "680" we have now will drop in price, however if AMD/ATI don't step up their game I doubt Nvidia will drop 680 prices much. For now my GTX 560 Ti SLI is more than enough.

It's just like the whole AMD/Intel thing, the new Ivy Bridge series have weird shortcuts in place that affect their overclocking abilities compared to SB. Such as the use of TIM under the thermal heatspreader. So IB will run 20C hotter than SB at the same clock speeds.

Anyway Intel/Nvidia IMO seem to be slacking off due to lack of real competition. I hope this changes soon, as even though I am an Intel/Nvidia fanboy, AMD needs to get better things going for them or else Intel/Nvidia will slow down and overprice their hardware.

yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:18 PM

Allegedly the TIM used on IB CPUs doesn't affect their temperatures. One of Polish PC sites removed the IHS, and there was very little difference.
http://translate.goo...HZPtSohGppvKBKw

SyphonPayne
  • SyphonPayne

E FOR EFFORT!!!

• Members

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:25 PM

I have read at least three articles that state otherwise. http://www.overclock...ge-temperatures being the most significant.

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:38 PM

Do you know of any Local PC shops in your area?
Building a PC is not so hard but if you would rather someone else do it you can probably find a local pc store that does it for about $50.

(Where is the pounds symbol on the keyboard?)

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Zaibatsu
  • Belize

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:24 PM

QUOTE (TheTrikstar @ May 6 2012, 19:17)
Just thought i should let you guys know that ive decided to go with building the pc that yojo has chosen, Thanks yojo icon14.gif Thanks eveyone else biggrin.gif

@Gareth: What are inter Connecting cables and how much do they cost? biggrin.gif

Things like the following cables, like the SATA, Molex, ESATA etc, things for connecting the PSU and Hard Drive, DVD Drive, Fans, Data Cables from Motherboard to Hard Drive etc.

QUOTE (finn4life @ May 6 2012, 22:38)
Do you know of any Local PC shops in your area?
Building a PC is not so hard but if you would rather someone else do it you can probably find a local pc store that does it for about $50.

(Where is the pounds symbol on the keyboard?)

I see from your flag you are Aussie, so you can try pressing and holding the Alt key and type in the following numbers 0, 1, 6, 3, or try pressing "Alt Gr" the one on the right of the space bar then 3, I don't know if this will work on an Aussie keyboards I know that Alt Gr and 4 works on UK keyboards for doing the Euro as opposed to the standard shift + 4 for the dollar $.

Also to add, TheTrikstar will probably able to answer this better as he had a Scottish flag on him, but I could probably answer this if he's on the East coast either in Fife or the Lothians, then there are next to bog-all computer shops around here that are any good.

TheTrikstar
  • TheTrikstar

Skank!

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:29 PM

Born in Scotland but I live in Wales. Same here tho, I will probably have to go to Scotland and get my Uncle to Build it. May aswell make it a holiday. Thanks for the help Gareth icon14.gif

yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:56 AM Edited by yojo2, 07 May 2012 - 11:58 AM.

QUOTE (TheTrikstar @ Sunday, May 6 2012, 21:17)
@Gareth: What are inter Connecting cables and how much do they cost? biggrin.gif

Everything what you need should be bundled with components. wink.gif
I have read at least three articles that state otherwise. http://www.overclock...ge-temperatures being the most significant.
Okay, but they didn't test it in practice, these are pure speculations from what I can see.

SyphonPayne
  • SyphonPayne

E FOR EFFORT!!!

• Members

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:29 PM

Looking at that Polish site again, perhaps they are right, or perhaps the results are skewed due to them having to make modifications in order to run without the IHS. If the TIM makes a lot less of a difference than one would think, then perhaps it's just that Intel released a stepping of IB that really wasn't ready yet (at least thermally.) I really think that they are slacking off since AMD is hardly competition these days. Maybe Intel will release a better stepping down the road, but probably not before AMD makes a move.

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Catch a ride!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:55 AM

@TheTrickstar

It not hard to build a PC, you just need to read the manuals. There's a guide on this forum which helped me wink.gif
http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=446714

The bit I used the most:
Now that that's covered, lets get building!

1. Place your case on a table or some other surface that doesn't conduct static electricity easily
2. Install your power supply by inserting it into the slot in the rear of the case and mount it using the screws provided.
3. Place your motherboard in front of you.
4. Install your CPU by placing it into the socket on your motherboard and then close the holding mechanism to secure your CPU.
5. Before installing your CPU cooler, you need to apply your thermal paste. Place a generous amount directly on the CPU so that there is enough for a even coat.
6. Install your CPU cooler by using the appropriate mounting brackets for your CPU socket and then by mounting it to them.
7. Install your RAM by taking each individual stick and inserting it into the appropriate DIMM slot for whatever channel set-up you'll be using. Read your motherboard and RAM instructions for more
8. Install your motherboard with the CPU, CPU cooler and RAM in the case using the screws provided.
9. Install your hard drive(s) by inserting them into the appropriate slot inside the case, and then attach them using the screws provided.
10. Install your optical drive(s) by inserting them into the appropriate slot in the front of the case, and then attach them using the screws provided.
11. Install your video card by taking it and inserting it into one of the PCI-Express slots on your motherboard.
12.If applicable, install any other PCI/PCI-Express cards such as a sound card, networking card, or a USB card.
13. Add anything else such as extra case fans, etc...
14. Install Windows and follow the indicated prompts to continue with setup

TheTrikstar
  • TheTrikstar

Skank!

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:25 AM

Not taking the chance to build it on my own, just going to get someone who knows what they are doing.

Whiskey
  • Whiskey

Homie

• The Connection

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:40 AM

You could do it in one day tops. I built my rig and I get so much more satisfaction knowing that I built it all myself. Also, I know the insides out of the PC now so I can change parts without worrying about anything. It's a really good skill to know. I didn't know what I was doing when I started but I knew exactly what I was doing when I was finished. It's harder to assemble flat-pack furniture than build a PC! tounge.gif

Slightly OT but I do hope nVidia release the GTX 660, I'm in dire need of upgrading from a GTX 460 and a GTX 660 would fit the bill perfectly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users