A general poll about cell phone apps

28 replies to this topic
trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:07 PM

I'd like to keep this in the GenChat area if possible since it is more of a general poll.

Whether it be from the Apple iTunes store or Android market there are countless mobile phone apps out there. Some written by major companies and some written by kids in their mother's basements. Some are free and some you have to pay for.

My question is: Do you really use a lot of apps on your iPhone/Android? Do you actually download an app and find you cant live without it, or do you download an app and check it out for a few hours to see what it does and than almost never check it out again?

Naturally there are some apps that just make sense for quick glance convenience(weather, sports scores, email, maybe twitter feed), but do people really use their phones for some of the other apps out there? Can people not maintain good personal health without their mobile phone heart monitor? Are buildings not plumb because people don't have their mobile phone level? Are more people quitting cigarettes thanks to their cell phone? Since smart phones have nice web browsers, are people actually using apps that just offer a different view and navigation of the website - or are they just opening up their phone's browser to the original site?

I'm being vague for a reason. A lot of my job responsibilities is dealing with mobile applications(both for public and private use) and I find myself arguing on the side of "are people really going to use that?". I'm starting to convince myself that mobile phone apps are really just short run gimmicks.

Girish
  • Girish

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:07 PM

I can't recall any app that I can't live without. But they definitely enhance user experience by providing more options and features that a normal phone does not. Some applications are pretty handy though; like the one that provides me the local train/bus timetable. As I travel by train everyday to get to work or anywhere in Mumbai, it's a really useful app to have on you. Much better than carrying a physical timetable and then wasting time searching through it.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:22 PM

Why pay phone finder app of course..

http://www.2dayblog....app-for-iphone/

Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• Unknown
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:33 PM

I regularly download apps from Google Play and the Amazon appstore. Amazon has a daily paid app for free, as well. There's a lot of crap out there for sure, and 99% of the time I'll delete them pretty quickly but every now and then I'll find something useful. The gmail and dialer apps are the only ones I really couldn't live without. Aside from that, the basic social stuff like messaging, IRC, Youtube, and Twitter are the most useful.

Waddy
  • Waddy

Gods foster son.

• None

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:38 PM

I use every App I have d/loaded on my iphone. Currency converter I use everyday, Twitterr, FB, Weather, Bank...all of them.
SO THERE!

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:43 PM

most apps are useless gimmicks or time-wasting games.

but there's also a lot of very productive and perfectly useful apps floating around.
they're just a little harder to find and usually not free.

Vanzant
  • Vanzant

EZ5

• United-States

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:46 PM

I have an app that locates the closest strip clubs near me along with directions...nah not really.

I only use the stop watch app.

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada
  • Best Forum Ledby 2011
    Best Forum Ledby 2010
    GTANet Contribution Award
    GTANet Helpfulness Award

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:57 PM

I use my phone for making phone calls, texting, email, and the web to check Facebook and the weather occasionally. Also do a bit of picture taking due to the nature of my job. That's really all I use my phone for. Never understood people's obsession with having stupid farting apps and games on their phones.

@Vanz: Who needs an app to locate strip clubs when you have Amy? tounge.gif

Icarus
  • Icarus

[C9] Orthonormal

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:01 PM

The apps I use the most on my phone are Facebook, Twitter and my online banking app. I also have some games on there just to keep me entertained when I'm taking the train to and from work, or if I'm flying.

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:32 AM

I only have crucial applications on my phone, i have installed probably 6 or 7 and the ones that come preinstalled.
- The only games i have are GTA III and Angry birds.
- I have a Netbanking App (WHich is very easy to use and secure)
- I have the Facebook app but the SGS2's browser is faster anyway, i only use the app so i can upload photos after i take them (It comes up as one of the upload options)
- I Use Navigation
- A ringtone finder.
-Album Art downloader (Since some art doesn't sync properly because of androids sh*tty desktop integration)

Those are the only apps i use, websites that prompt for the app i sometimes download only so the prompt goes away (Like my tv guide) and i can continue viewing on the browser.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:42 AM

Thanks for all these responses guys. I'm serous - they actually help me.

I half want to say games don't really count as apps though.

TheCacti
  • TheCacti

l'administration vous emmerde

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Macau

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:46 AM

When I had an android phone, there was only one app that I downloaded and was willing to pay 0.99 for. Chess clock. It was a damn good one too.

Piperka
  • Piperka

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Australia

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:07 AM

The only apps I use regularly are; Facebook, GMail, Hotmail, Yahoo Mail, Google Maps, Google Navigation, Android VNC, Funny Jokes, Task killer, and the Browser. Everything else I download I just do so either because I'm bored or I want to check it out, but almost never use them again.

DP Man
  • DP Man

GH3O ▲SS

• Members

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:23 AM

I use the Facebook app to upload photos, Instagram rarely and the web browser. Phone games are sh*t

Jay
  • Jay

1984 - 2011

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:31 AM

Apps have their function, I just don't agree with apps that are shoehorned onto you to essentially view a specific web page. The phone has a web browser, and websites have mobile versions, don't make an app to view your website in a different way.

I seldom download apps because I am a cynic and think they're all out to get ma deets.

Icarus
  • Icarus

[C9] Orthonormal

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:35 AM

QUOTE (Jay @ Sunday, May 6 2012, 00:31)
Apps have their function, I just don't agree with apps that are shoehorned onto you to essentially view a specific web page. The phone has a web browser, and websites have mobile versions, don't make an app to view your website in a different way.

CBC News has its own app and the only reason I downloaded it is that the mobile version you get if you go to their actual webpage is garbage, whereas the app is much easier to navigate. That was my justification for getting it, not to mention it was free.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:48 AM

I have fun with a lot of them but honestly don't rely too much on the 100+ I've got installed currently. It's a little ridiculous.

I tend to get Universal versions when they exist, though, so I use 'em like crazy on my iPad.

My current go-to iPhone apps:

- Pano
- Photosynth
- Instagram
- iFitness (discontinued)
- Silvertune (instrument tuner)
- MicPro
- ComicZeal
- Cracked
- Twitter
- Drawsomething
- netflix

...and then tons of games. But in those listed apps, I actually use them quite often. Of course, the main functions I rely on the most are the calendar, maps, mail and safari built in apps.

Cursed
  • Cursed

Big Homie

• Zaibatsu

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:56 PM

I use the Facebook, FML and Daily Mail apps on my phone regularly. I also occasionally use a flashlight app. I've got quite a lot of games on it but at the moment the only two I've been playing are DrawSomething and The Logo Game.

nic_23
  • nic_23

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Best New Gang 2012 - High Rollers

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:01 AM

Has anyone used the dolphin browser? Its pretty good because I can surf the internet as a desktop instead of mobile websites and nextvid is a good youtube app because you can listen to music in the background while browsing.

na89340qv0n34b09q340
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:07 AM

(Android for reference)
For the most part I use Pandora and a few game apps. I also use the Cracked reader, and Chant but that's about it. I have an eBook reader to use on the toilet, but it's buggy as hell.

Has anyone used the dolphin browser? Its pretty good because I can surf the internet as a desktop instead of mobile websites

I use Dolphin. I think I use it more for the gesture controls though, not that browsing the web on my phone is desirable or all that useful.

Andyzoot
  • Andyzoot

Player Hater

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:31 AM

I recently bought an Android tablet so I've been on the lookout for some really good apps to download to get the best out of it.

I currently have:

Dolphin Browser
Facebook
Twitter
DrawSomething
The Guardian Online
Google Currents (though I haven't really used this one)
SketchbookX (not that I can draw anything remotely good)
TVGuide (comes in handy from time to time)
Celtx (Screenwriting software: I'm a screenwriting student-Handy for taking my screenplays around with me)
Sky Sports Football Centre (Only helpful on weekends really)
AndroIRC (Just downloaded in case I wanted to go on IRC on my tablet which to be honest I doubt I ever will. But it's there at least)
Piano Perfect (Piano app, just a small timewaster)
Google Translate (Y'know...just in case I go to another country)

I also Shazam on my phone which I think is a brilliant app.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:42 AM

QUOTE (Pandazoot @ Tuesday, May 8 2012, 06:31)
I recently bought an Android tablet so I've been on the lookout for some really good apps to download to get the best out of it.

I've got a Zoom, and love it. Pinball ,SimCity, TheSims, GTAIII, tons of useful sh*t, app wise.

Not to bitch but I was looking for the feelings towards cell phone apps. Honestly, I use these types of responses/feelings to combat some of my big bosses who ask me to do stupid things that equal nothing more than me wasting time that can be used on something I know that has production value(mobile or not).

Like I stated before - thanks for the responses. Very helpful.

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:54 AM

Most of my apps have their moments. Almost every single one is used daily, but there are a few I downloaded just because.... Poop Log is one of them. No it's exactly what you think.

Big Slow
  • Big Slow

<3 629

• The Connection

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:02 AM

Personally, I have well over 2500 app for iOS because I've followed freebies, sales, etc for the past few years. The sad part is that I have such an over-saturation of content, that I almost never play the games I download. Now that I have an Android phone, the trending is starting there as well. I think a lot of the apps are indeed gimmicky, especially free-to-play where they hook you with micro-transactions, but there is some good time-wasting to be had.

blitz
  • blitz

pizzaqueen <3

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Newcomer of the Year 2011

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:17 AM

I absolutely adore iProcrastinate, it helps me organize myself so well, especially with school and stuff. I've tried other organizing methods, none really worked.

I use it on my Mac, though, not sure if it's available for iPhone, should probably look it up.

Allen14n
  • Allen14n

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:12 PM

Phone apps have obviously become very mainstream. I feel that it's definitely great there are actual marketplaces for these apps. I don't have any problem with apps at all. However, people shouldn't become so reliant on them.

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

Ron Swanson, A Swan Song.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:39 PM

I think that a huge majority of apps are gimmicks. Albeit, time-passing, money-making gimmicks. If you were to take a list of 100 random apps, I'd put a trusty bet on at least 80% (maybe more) of them being a load of rubbish that no one could possibly need.

In terms of telling your bosses that an app isn't worth making because it's a gimmick or has no use, well it's kind of a moot point as all they're after is something that'll bring in the bucks. People constantly want and companies constantly supply, it's win-win. I think a fair amount of people are after something that'll pass the time while they're on the train or to cure the tedious boredom of pooping, they want a five minute wonder.

Personally, I like apps. I think they're a brilliant way for people to get creative at a somewhat basic level whilst being rewarded for it. Whether they make a simple spirit-level or whether they create the next social network uprising, it's all good.

I use an app that monitors my sleep and will wake me up if it thinks I'm about to go sleep-walking. Due to my adventurous shenanigans whilst in zombie mode this app is incredibly useful. Fair enough, it gets it wrong sometimes and just wakes me up but those moments are far outweighed by the times it has woken me up as I'm putting on my clothes.

TL;DR: Useful apps are good. Duh.

Trevor Phillips Enterprise
  • Trevor Phillips Enterprise

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:38 PM

I have a 32GB 4th Gen iPod touch. Apps I have include:

Games
• Doodle Jump
• Monkey
• Paper Toss

Utilities
• Dictionary.com app
• Wikipedia app
• IMDB app

Social
• Facebook
• Tumblr
• Instagram

Misc
• "Mafia"..random sounboard with quotes from famous mob movies.
• PicFrame

I mainly use it for music, so not many apps, I used to have the twitter app but it was pissing me off so I deleted it.

Ex Hellraiser
  • Ex Hellraiser

Legendary

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:41 PM

There aren't any apps that I can't live without but they definitely help with everyday needs. I really like my bank app, so I can can check my bank accounts on my phone. I also like the Barcode Scanner, which shows me the average price of a product (almost any probuct). I also like Ringdroid, because it actuually lets me use the music I bought and make it a ringtone, instead of f*cking buying the song again sarcasm.gif Most importantly, I love my email app, so I can get my GTAForums Topic Subscription Reply Notifications!

None of them are life changing, but they are all useful. (Get the Instant Buttons app for Android. Best Soundboard Ever.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users