Atheists arguments against God

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
310 replies to this topic
HydraulicWaRiOr
  • HydraulicWaRiOr

I Left My Wallet In El Segundo

• Members

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:57 AM

QUOTE (sivispacem @ Tuesday, May 8 2012, 07:06)
You keep repeating yourself without substantiating what you are saying. I know full well that you believe that Christianity is the harbinger of death, what I don't understand is why. I used my examples of examining Judaism and Islam alongside Christianity to demonstrate the fallacy in your logic by claiming one is a destructive force and not all three. You have thus far failed demonstrate a single example of evil committed by religion. And you will continue to gaily, principally because there never truly has been one. Religion's purpose in conflict is to serve as a motivator and nothing more.

Besides, you claim to be a Communist. How can you quantify that with the evil things communist regimes have done yet argue test religion is intrinsically a cause of conflict? By your own logic, the system you put your faith in is every buy as evil, and arguably substantially worse.

Your Hitler example is terrible, too. I'm not arguing that Hitler wasn't responsible ot the Holocaust in this example, I wild be arguing that Fascism wasn't. Which is quite accurate. And there goes Godwin's Law. I also struggle to see any tangible link between Nazism and Christianity in terms of belief system. Surely ultranationalism entirely contradicts the very principles of Christianity. Also, if your going to biologically try and blame Christianity for the Holocaust, then surely I can use the same logic to blame atheism for the Great Purges?

Christianity has the largest following in the world, and inspires much more than anything. You have retards like Rick Santorum, to asinine cult followings like the Westboro Baptist Church.

Islam is a destructive force through Muslim extremists and constant attacks on Israel. Judaism does nothing, and has done nothing since it was almost destroyed in Europe, along with far before that.

I have said many examples of evils, but your protective attitude towards it gives you the notion that it is perfectly okay for it to exist.

And I can say the same about Capitalism. Communism has only risen within the last century, and already are we criticised. What of the Salem Witch Trials, and the destruction of Native American culture? Not to mention slavery. It seems all Capitalists do is pick on lesser beings and governments when they themselves can't hold an equal society with the influence of the so-called "Invisible Hand". The Great Purge was a result of Stalin's alcoholism.

[Supreme]

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Thou shalt not commit logical fallacies

• United-Kingdom

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:32 AM Edited by sivispacem, 08 May 2012 - 09:53 AM.

QUOTE (HydraulicWaRiOr @ Tuesday, May 8 2012, 08:57)
QUOTE (sivispacem @ Tuesday, May 8 2012, 07:06)
You keep repeating yourself without substantiating what you are saying. I know full well that you believe that Christianity is the harbinger of death, what I don't understand is why. I used my examples of examining Judaism and Islam alongside Christianity to demonstrate the fallacy in your logic by claiming one is a destructive force and not all three. You have thus far failed demonstrate a single example of evil committed by religion. And you will continue to gaily, principally because there never truly has been one. Religion's purpose in conflict is to serve as a motivator and nothing more.

Besides, you claim to be a Communist. How can you quantify that with the evil things communist regimes have done yet argue test religion is intrinsically a cause of conflict? By your own logic, the system you put your faith in is every buy as evil, and arguably substantially worse.

Your Hitler example is terrible, too. I'm not arguing that Hitler wasn't responsible ot the Holocaust in this example, I wild be arguing that Fascism wasn't. Which is quite accurate. And there goes Godwin's Law. I also struggle to see any tangible link between Nazism and Christianity in terms of belief system. Surely ultranationalism entirely contradicts the very principles of Christianity. Also, if your going to biologically try and blame Christianity for the Holocaust, then surely I can use the same logic to blame atheism for the Great Purges?

Christianity has the largest following in the world, and inspires much more than anything. You have retards like Rick Santorum, to asinine cult followings like the Westboro Baptist Church.

Islam is a destructive force through Muslim extremists and constant attacks on Israel. Judaism does nothing, and has done nothing since it was almost destroyed in Europe, along with far before that.

I have said many examples of evils, but your protective attitude towards it gives you the notion that it is perfectly okay for it to exist.

And I can say the same about Capitalism. Communism has only risen within the last century, and already are we criticised. What of the Salem Witch Trials, and the destruction of Native American culture? Not to mention slavery. It seems all Capitalists do is pick on lesser beings and governments when they themselves can't hold an equal society with the influence of the so-called "Invisible Hand". The Great Purge was a result of Stalin's alcoholism.

[Supreme]

You are still failing to find examples of Christianity being a force for harm, thought. There is, as I have already said, a major distinction between acts committed because of religion, and political actions that use religion as an excuse for their perpetration. You bring up the Salem Witch Trials as if events of politically motivated mass persecution driven by public hysteria are unique to Christianity, which is an obvious fallacy.

You cannot make the argument that minority fringe groups are a fair representation of a religion which at it's core is driven by spirituality any more than you can claim that all Muslims are inherently evil because of the existence of militant organisations.

Christianity is, as I have already explained, not a religion but a group of spiritual beliefs. I see no harm in spirituality in itself and therefore I see no harm in Christianity. The potential for harm is derived front the actions of groups who politicise religion and use it as a source if power. Very few beliefs are intrinsically harmful.

Of course, I also see the irony in what you have said. You dismiss one kind of thought as harmful because of the actions you equate with it's followers, yet you also try up absolve the actions of the follower of another school of thought (Stalin in this case) by dismissing his actions as caused by something other than his association with communism. Surely you cannot have it both ways- either thought is separate from politically motivated action and neither Christianity nor communism are intrinsically harmful, or you must accept that actions are directly linked to thought and condemn both.

You can critique Capitalism all you wish, but a free market economy with democratic choice has been markedly absent from the regimes that have committed the greatest atrocities of recent history. Was Nazi Germany capitalist, democratic and free market? No. How about the Khmer Rouge, DPRK, Argentina Junta, Burmese Junta, China under Mao, Uganda under Amin, Libya under Gaddafi, Sudan in recent years, Chad and the D.R Congo in the 90s, the Yugoslav states, much of Eastern Europe during the 50s through 70s...

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE (HydraulicWaRiOr @ Tuesday, May 8 2012, 07:57)
The Great Purge was a result of Stalin's alcoholism.

Christ, I've had bad hangovers before, but that one must've taken the cake.

"I did what?!"

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:35 AM

What about the fact that Christianity encourages massive amounts of charity and saves probably millions of lives a year by providing food, shelter, and clothing. What the f*ck is wrong with that? I am a Catholic because I love the religion's history and its goodwill. It's not because I'm afraid the father of Jesus is going to strike me if I don't take care of people. Please, stop your f*cking spew of nonsense.

HydraulicWaRiOr
  • HydraulicWaRiOr

I Left My Wallet In El Segundo

• Members

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:49 AM

QUOTE (Irviding @ Wednesday, May 9 2012, 03:35)
What about the fact that Christianity encourages massive amounts of charity and saves probably millions of lives a year by providing food, shelter, and clothing. What the f*ck is wrong with that? I am a Catholic because I love the religion's history and its goodwill. It's not because I'm afraid the father of Jesus is going to strike me if I don't take care of people. Please, stop your f*cking spew of nonsense.

Bullsh*t. All your f*cking religion does is encourage child molestation and brainwash people. You are afraid. Your so called "relationship with god" is nothing but a bunch of sh*t coming out of your ass. I hate people like you with all of my integrity. All you do is take your stupid bullsh*t about hell and abortion and all of your other intolerant crap, and shove it down peoples throats. People like you deserve to be lit on fire and buried alive, and I wouldn't feel anything but joy if you all went out the same. But other than that, this sh*t is pissing me off, I'm going to go lie down. This conversation is over.

[Supreme]

Tyler
  • Tyler

[rain]

• Unknown

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:52 AM

So instead of offering alternatives or debunking the ideology, you insult the entire crowd of people like a fourth grader. Then you proceed to hope they're burned alive.

Yeah, they're the bad ones, all right.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:21 AM

QUOTE (HydraulicWaRiOr @ Wednesday, May 9 2012, 04:49)

Bullsh*t. All your f*cking religion does is encourage child molestation and brainwash people. You are afraid. Your so called "relationship with god" is nothing but a bunch of sh*t coming out of your ass. I hate people like you with all of my integrity. All you do is take your stupid bullsh*t about hell and abortion and all of your other intolerant crap, and shove it down peoples throats. People like you deserve to be lit on fire and buried alive, and I wouldn't feel anything but joy if you all went out the same. But other than that, this sh*t is pissing me off, I'm going to go lie down. This conversation is over.

[Supreme]

Sorry, I wasn't aware that you were just able to declare the conversation over after you childishly wish death on another forumer.
Who do you think you are? You said it, you'll have to deal with it. You don't have the right to say things like that and just walk away.
But by all means, chicken out. Show us just what a contemptible, pathetic coward you are.
I suspected as much anyway.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Thou shalt not commit logical fallacies

• United-Kingdom

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:02 AM

QUOTE (HydraulicWaRiOr @ Wednesday, May 9 2012, 05:49)

[Supreme]

This is a very effective but rather juvenile way of demonstrating that you've spectacularly lost the argument. I expect better in this sub-forum. Offending other posters whose views just happen to be oppose your own might fly in V, but not here. Either respond to other posters in a mature and tactful way or go elsewhere.

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:27 AM Edited by Irviding, 09 May 2012 - 10:30 AM.

QUOTE (HydraulicWaRiOr @ Tuesday, May 8 2012, 23:49)

Bullsh*t. All your f*cking religion does is encourage child molestation and brainwash people.

[Supreme]

Yeah, and all Islam does is encourage terrorism.

By the way- I'm pro choice and I don't talk about hell. I don't actually believe in the Roman Catholic god specifically as much as I just believe the community of the religion is truly a great thing to be a part of. I've said elsewhere my actual religious philosophy is more that of an 18th century Deist. I don't understand why people Luke you who claim to tolerate everyone have some hard on for 1/4 of the entire global population.

Get the f*ck out of here you deluded c*nt.

DeeperRed
  • DeeperRed

Damn it feels good to be gangsta

• Zaibatsu

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:27 AM

A lot of non religious, charity based organization do this as well and there are donations and help from Atheist as well. I donate to charity because I am lucky to live such an easy life and want to do a part in improving someone else's. Religion is not need to make people charitably. Majority of people are born with empathy, its not something gained through religion and whether they act on that empathy is down to there personality.

Religions history is not great, its full of brutality and intolerance. However its not religions fault, its the people who abused its however when there is something that can control a mass of people with little evidence needed its defiantly going to get abused.

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:31 AM

That's not relevant to the point I was making earlier, which is religions in general do massive amounts of good.

DeeperRed
  • DeeperRed

Damn it feels good to be gangsta

• Zaibatsu

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:51 AM Edited by DeeperRed, 09 May 2012 - 10:53 AM.

QUOTE (Irviding @ Wednesday, May 9 2012, 10:31)
That's not relevant to the point I was making earlier, which is religions in general do massive amounts of good.

Yes religion does a lot of good but thats not to say Atheists don't. You don't automatically do good things by being religious, you as a person have to do them. I bet if we, right now, look at money raised for charity by religious people and by atheists and worked out the ratio it would be similar PP. ( I know thats not possible, but its the only way you would be able to show how one does more good then the other)

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:06 PM

But I didnt say Atheists didn't. I was responding to the point that all religion does is molest children.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:44 PM

QUOTE (Irviding @ Wednesday, May 9 2012, 10:31)

But why should we judge any movement based on the good it does?
Let's be honest here, every food drive and every prayer hasn't done a damn thing to solve homelessness or the scourge of addiction. The detractors of religion often use that as a way of lambasting the faith of others. By consistently questioning their compassion and devotion to humanitarianism.

Yet both Atheist and theist are equally impotent when it comes to alleviating the suffering of others.

As I said before, we should judge a movement based on the artistic contributions it has made throughout history. There will never be a point at which the followers of Christ can clap their hands and end famine, but their shared faith can create works of great beauty.

Too many Atheists are utopian in nature, they want peace and civility. I firmly maintain that the differences and conflicts religion has created yield a more imaginative, inspiring culture.

Vercetti27
  • Vercetti27

Staunton Faction

• Members

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:44 PM Edited by Vercetti27, 14 May 2012 - 02:54 PM.

you can tell yourself you believe in god, but if you just don't, it doesn't do any good reading the bible and abiding by someone else's ethos on how to live. that doesn't make one spiritual, spirituality is beyond religion , it's a separate realm.

QUOTE (Irviding)
What about the fact that Christianity encourages massive amounts of charity and saves probably millions of lives a year by providing food, shelter, and clothing. What the f*ck is wrong with that

Isn't that down to pure human goodwill more than anything? What about the non-religous charities which raise millions per year without the smug christian tent over themselves and without the preaching of "we're doing good, praise jesus".

MoroccanGeek
  • MoroccanGeek

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:18 PM

Hey guys,I'd like to say Hi colgate.gif .I'm a Muslim(Theist of an arab religion),and I agree of all what my fellow written in the introduction.I don't really like to debate in religious things,as I am still a beginner in my religion and looking forward to become more religious than ever,it's just that some debates about religions turn into fights and humiliations. bored.gif bored.gif

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• The Connection
  • European-Union

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:51 PM

1. If you were born in India, you'd be a Hindu and God (or Allah) would have cursed you to purgatory (or Hell) for your birth in a non-Christian land. So much for Omni-Benevolence.

2. Most literal tales or explanations for what the ancients couldn't understand (creation stories, miracles) are passed off today as 'non-literal' simply when science proves them to be incorrect. How can you place your faith in something that flip flops more than American politicians?

3. Why believe in something that has no evidence, simply for the comfort that it brings? If I were to dive from a tenement roof, the belief in a huge mattress below would be comforting but completely unfounded.

4. Why must the Universe (inherently neutral and amoral) be judged by Human standards? Is the beauty and complexity of the world around us so in dire need of watering down to our level? It seems arrogant to assume an intelligent being who thinks exactly like us exists and created the Universe in such a childishly simple way.

5. The God of the Bible (or for that matter, the Torah and Qoran) is a megalomaniacal, self absorbed and infantile brute. While his wishy washy reforms of the New Testament can be seen to reconcile some of his actions, his insistence on humanity repressing it's own nature (that he apparently created) smacks of petty excuses we as a species have dreamt up to justify his flawed creations.

Just a few from the top of my head, apologies for their disjointed nature.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:36 PM

QUOTE (MoroccanGeek @ Monday, May 14 2012, 12:18)
looking forward to become more religious than ever

I feel very sorry for you.

I implore you to reconsider before you waste your entire life on a fruitless pursuit.

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:16 PM

QUOTE (Vercetti27 @ Monday, May 14 2012, 09:44)
you can tell yourself you believe in god, but if you just don't, it doesn't do any good reading the bible and abiding by someone else's ethos on how to live. that doesn't make one spiritual, spirituality is beyond religion , it's a separate realm.

QUOTE (Irviding)
What about the fact that Christianity encourages massive amounts of charity and saves probably millions of lives a year by providing food, shelter, and clothing. What the f*ck is wrong with that

Isn't that down to pure human goodwill more than anything? What about the non-religous charities which raise millions per year without the smug christian tent over themselves and without the preaching of "we're doing good, praise jesus".

All of you are so deluded in your hatred of religion from what I believe to be some kind of forced childhood or some kind of thought that everyone that practices religion is Rick Santorum. I hate to tell you it's not as you'd think.

I don't agree that it's down to pure human goodwill. Nor do I agree with this ridiculous notion that our simplest morals of today do not come from religion. Not sleeping with your neighbor's wife, you guys might say oh that's common sense, but what made it common sense? Religion.

Once again, you have a very deluded and frankly offensive view of Christianity. I don't know what church you're looking at, but when mine back home on f*cking Long Island NY does charities it does not make loving Jesus a prerequisite for receiving their goods. Religious charities, in the US at least, are some of the most benevolent members of society. All of you Europeans absolutely hate religion for whatever reason and I don't know why. It's just stupid.

How can you say that religion is fruitless, diablo? Like I said before, you are the same Mr. Liberal railing on people for not tolerating gays and Muslims but you won't even give the time of day to people who go to church for an hour Sunday and want a little bit of faith in their lives.

AlexGTAGamer
  • AlexGTAGamer

Time flies when you throw a clock.

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:35 PM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Monday, May 14 2012, 22:36)
QUOTE (MoroccanGeek @ Monday, May 14 2012, 12:18)
looking forward to become more religious than ever

I feel very sorry for you.

I implore you to reconsider before you waste your entire life on a fruitless pursuit.

We don't live in Communist Russia or North Korea, people are free to believe in whichever religion they like - Islam, Judaism, Christianity, Jediism, whatever.

If he wants to live his life dedicated to Islam, fine I wish you well MoroccanGeek, who are we to decide what a person can and cannot believe in?

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:32 PM

I'm not deciding anything for him.
I'm not saying he can't believe whatever he wants.

I'm urging him to seek rationale as opposed to a life of brainwashed servitude.

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:24 AM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Monday, May 14 2012, 18:32)
I'm not deciding anything for him.
I'm not saying he can't believe whatever he wants.

I'm urging him to seek rationale as opposed to a life of brainwashed servitude.

How is it brainwashed servitude? Where are you getting this from? Were you raised as a Mormon or something? Seriously - your hatred of religion is disturbing.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:18 AM

QUOTE (Irviding @ Monday, May 14 2012, 17:24)
How is it brainwashed servitude?

how is it not?

religion spoon-feeds you the answers to life's more important questions.
it says you cannot think for yourself or thoughtfully arrive at your own conclusions.

it says here are the answers.
don't question anything.

it asks you to love a celestial dictator and devote yourself to him more than to your own family.
it says that you cannot be moral without the guidelines put forth by the celestial dictator.

and the morality that it presents is false.
religion hangs the reward of everlasting life or the punishment of eternal torture over your head like a carrot-and-stick act. instead of asking you to do good for the sake of being good, it dangles inexplicable incentives in front of your nose.

this is not morality.

Where are you getting this from?

the Bible.
the Qu'ran.
the Vedas.

take your pick.
they're all the same ambiguous drivel.

Seriously - your hatred of religion is disturbing.

is it?
I don't feel the need to respect religion or religious beliefs. I don't accept their premise and therefore telling me that my hatred for it is "disturbing" is really a non-sequitur.

religion represents an archaic form of philosophy that has no place in the modern world.
we've matured past the rest of our fairly tales, why not this one?

why pay any respect to wishful thinking?
wishful thinking without a shred of evidence, I might add.

Vercetti27
  • Vercetti27

Staunton Faction

• Members

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:30 PM Edited by Vercetti27, 15 May 2012 - 05:36 PM.

QUOTE (Irviding @ Monday, May 14 2012, 22:16)
QUOTE (Vercetti27 @ Monday, May 14 2012, 09:44)

QUOTE (Irviding)

All of you are so deluded in your hatred of religion from what I believe to be some kind of forced childhood or some kind of thought that everyone that practices religion is Rick Santorum. I hate to tell you it's not as you'd think.

I don't agree that it's down to pure human goodwill. Nor do I agree with this ridiculous notion that our simplest morals of today do not come from religion. Not sleeping with your neighbor's wife, you guys might say oh that's common sense, but what made it common sense? Religion.

Once again, you have a very deluded and frankly offensive view of Christianity. I don't know what church you're looking at, but when mine back home on f*cking Long Island NY does charities it does not make loving Jesus a prerequisite for receiving their goods. Religious charities, in the US at least, are some of the most benevolent members of society. All of you Europeans absolutely hate religion for whatever reason and I don't know why. It's just stupid.

How can you say that religion is fruitless, diablo? Like I said before, you are the same Mr. Liberal railing on people for not tolerating gays and Muslims but you won't even give the time of day to people who go to church for an hour Sunday and want a little bit of faith in their lives.

you call me deluded then described europeans as "hating religion". Your original quote sounded incredibly smug, if you think people's moral values come from religion then there is nothing to say, it's a stupid notion to say the least and I don't know where to start disproving it. People are not born without consiences, parents teach them right or wrong, even non religious families.

A lot of people detest religion for what it has done to the world, the suffering and war, would you say that is outweighed by the good, such as charities and such? I went to a Church of England school and we had to pray every day, we were practically taught to be christian, we were taught christian values (which btw atheists may share) and it took me until I was about fifteen to realise what had gone on at my school. The subtle brainwashing that goes on disturbs me, in my neighbourhood there are catholic schools, and C of E schools. I find it difficult to believe that in such a liberal, progressive community such as mine schools and students are being separated by religion. It's not a big separation granted, but what good does incorporating religion into a school title do?

Throughout my life the religious people I have met have been unhappy people, taught to be religous by their parents. I knew a Jehovah's witness that read the bible almost every second of his spare time, his family didn't own a tv as his father said "it's full of propogandha bullsh*t and liberal rubbish". thats his son's actual quote, so you can see how I came to think what I do of religion. I tolerate other people's faith, but on the whole I would love a world without religion, and I have to say I don't like it.

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:13 PM

parents teach them right or wrong, even non religious families.

And those rights or wrongs historically came from religious teachings.

Look, like I said, it seems you Europeans have some strange hatred of religion that I don't quite understand. Not all churches brainwash people. And you and I know pretty well that even if they do, kids make the choice to stay with the church or not by the time they get out of college. Many choose not to. It's that simple. This isn't some kind of societal brainwashing that you need to be opposed to and practically hate anyone who practices a religion. It's just wrong in every way, especially from el diablo, who the rest of the time is a liberal.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:22 PM

QUOTE (Irviding @ Tuesday, May 15 2012, 15:13)

right and wrong - morality itself - long predates religion.

there was morality before religion.
people knew what was right or wrong before religion.

to say otherwise is supremely ignorant.

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:20 PM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Tuesday, May 15 2012, 17:22)
QUOTE (Irviding @ Tuesday, May 15 2012, 15:13)

right and wrong - morality itself - long predates religion.

there was morality before religion.
people knew what was right or wrong before religion.

to say otherwise is supremely ignorant.

I'm aware of that. Are you seriously going to tell me, however, that we knew from the getgo, the beginning of human existence, that nailing your neighbor's wife is wrong? That tattling is wrong? Honor your mother and father? I mean come on. If you were to study common law, you'd notice that a lot of it comes from old Christian morals.

Again, I am not some ultra religious fanatic, but I find the hatred and sheer disrespect for religious people on this topic to be disturbing.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:28 AM Edited by El_Diablo, 16 May 2012 - 12:34 AM.

QUOTE (Irviding @ Tuesday, May 15 2012, 16:20)
from the getgo, the beginning of human existence

well of course there was a period of transition between primal instinct and higher level thought process.
we were savages for a time, yes.

but at the same time that we formed language and society (individual yet collective groups, the first villages) we also formed common-law ideals about respect and decency toward others. we could not have survived the transition from primitive to modern man had we not already had a shared sense of morality. we didn't have to wait for religion to invent it. we invented it through evolutionary response. our survival was predicated (and still is) on the support of others and sense of community.

If you were to study common law, you'd notice that a lot of it comes from old Christian morals.

if I were to study? I think the only person who needs to study here is you.
because that's not true at all.
common-law and the Golden Rule predate Christianity. they predate any form of organized religion. Christianity is not responsible for any type of morality that didn't exist before it came along.

mankind existed in it's modern form (opposable thumbs, almost no body hair, roughly 5 lb. brain, etc) for at least 100,000 years before the onset of Christianity. some say as many as 250k years, some say as little as 50-75k years. either way, it's a helluva long time. society and language and all sorts of belief systems were flourishing well in advance of the supposed Jesus of Nazareth.

Jesus even spoke of a man who did good deeds merely for the sake of doing good.
it was the story of the Good Samaritan.

how could Jesus speak about a man who had inherent morals unless the man existed before Jesus?
and if the man existed before Jesus and the "revelation" of Christianity, then where did he get his morals?

the bible, as with most religious texts, is filled with these illogical loopholes.

the only reason mankind survived as a species and escaped the damning confines of Africa is because even those people knew how to respect each other and help each other for the sake of doing so. because helping others helped them. they didn't need 2 hefty stone tablets to tell them that. it was just obvious. it was inherent. as morality is inherent in all people. the ones who do not display common morality are put in their rightful place: sociopaths, psychopaths, mentally deficient, etc.

Christianity did not bring anything new to the table.
morals and common-law predate it by inumerous millenia.

I find the hatred and sheer disrespect for religious people on this topic to be disturbing.

I say again; religion and religious beliefs do not warrant respect.
they amount to nothing more than wishful thinking without a shred of evidence.

I do not accept the premise of religion, therefore telling me that my disrespect for it is "disturbing" is a non-sequitor.
personally I find it disturbing that people use their religious beliefs to justify bigotry and inform their worldview about a host of deeply controversial topics. issues that are controversial are often very personal (sexuality, definition of life, etc) and therefore should not be subjected to religious-based arguments.

religion does not deserve to sit at the same table as medical science, astronomy, or politics.
it's only place is the home or church.

AlexGTAGamer
  • AlexGTAGamer

Time flies when you throw a clock.

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:08 AM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Wednesday, May 16 2012, 01:28)
religion does not deserve to sit at the same table as medical science, astronomy, or politics.
it's only place is the home or church.

What I am getting from all of this is that you see religion as being like a leper, simply push it to one side and ignore it, don't go anywhere near it, and if you do go near to it you're mental.

That is your opinion on this debate and I respect it, there is no point getting into the whole argument of "I'm right and you're wrong" because that will just achieve nothing at all. I hold my opinion on matters, you have yours, as does every other person. The human race will not be able to coexist as a whole if we do not respect people's opinions on things though, we have to listen to both sides of the story even if one side sounds more illogical than the other. And classing all people's from one religion/area/whatever as being "nut jobs" will not help either as just because one group of people from one religion holds a strong view on one matter does not mean that everyone else in that same religion holds the same view.

I'm going off track here so to sum things up into one simple line - One person has one view, another has another view, there is no point in ripping each others throats out about a matter and pushing them under the rug just because they don't see eye to eye.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:58 AM

QUOTE (AlexGTAGamer @ Tuesday, May 15 2012, 18:08)
What I am getting from all of this is that you see religion as being like a leper, simply push it to one side and ignore it, don't go anywhere near it, and if you do go near to it you're mental.

well then, you've got the wrong idea.
I never said that people who go near religion are "mental." I never hinted that.

otherwise I acknowledged that religion has had a place in the world.
and there's nothing wrong with spirituality.

but it needs to be a personal thing.
in the family. in the home.

it doesn't really fit within the discussion of medical science, astronomy, or politics.

classing all people's from one religion/area/whatever as being "nut jobs"

I didn't classify anyone as a nutjob.
nutjobs earn their title. being religious doesn't make you a nutjob. being an atheist doesn't make you immune to being a nutjob tounge2.gif

but that's not what I'm saying at all.
I respect people's personal beliefs. in the sense that I don't call that out or use it against them at random.

but we are here, on a forum, discussing an open topic in which the point is to put forth one's beliefs and debate what follows.
just because I feel this way about religion in principle doesn't mean I have no manners and no respect.

I wouldn't be talking this way to a religious person's face without warrant.
you have to recognize the distinction between public discourse and personal tolerance.

I'm not saying that we should eradicate religious people or outlaw religion or anything that you may or may not be ready to accuse me of.
but religious beliefs and the people who espouse them must understand that - until their personal beliefs can be proven objectively - they have no basis for using them to try and shape the worldview of any other person. how you raise your children is your business, everything else is hands-off.

just because one group of people from one religion holds a strong view on one matter does not mean that everyone else in that same religion holds the same view.

and TA-DA!
you have done it. right there. you have just given my side of the argument a huge endorsement.

the fact that there are SO many religions with SO many sects and SO many inconsistencies and petty disagreements over the rules and interpretations is virtually the PROOF that religion is a farce. it is so obviously man made, how could anyone reasonably think otherwise? it is so completely absurd.

religion is exactly what you would expect of man-made constructs.
there's thousands of brands.
none of them are compatible.
all of them think they are infallibly and unquestionably correct.
and STILL members of these very faiths go about their lives constantly picking and choosing which tenets to adhere to and which to ignore.

now... either just ONE of these thousands of religions and their choice of rules got it right, in which case lucky guess...
or... all of these religions are correct, which is of course impossible according to them...
or... all of these religions are wrong.

what is more plausible; that a woman gave birth to the son of god?
or that an illiterate Jewish woman told a lie?

it's just silly to subject yourself to something which you cannot possibly hope to know or prove.
I don't understand why anyone needs it.

there is no point in ripping each others throats out about a matter and pushing them under the rug just because they don't see eye to eye.

I agree.

I had no intention of ripping out anyone's throat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users