16 replies to this topic
trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:48 AM

user posted image

Star Wars has had such an impact, and it has crossed multiple generations by this point. It's nice that it has a special day.

Bust out your light sabers and be the dork that you are. Today you are allowed.

To honor the holiday, I feel everyone here should try and watch 'A New Hope'(the original) before the weekend is over.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:53 AM

I was pleasantly surprised to find that, every place I stopped today, people were celebrating May the Fourth. Such an incredibly fun reason to enjoy yourself. Specials at the bar, the cafes, the sandwich shops. Lovely.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:01 AM

I was so caught up in Avengers-mania, I forgot about this. Need to pop in A New Hope later.

Kalvin
  • Kalvin

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:05 AM

I love how you posted this on May the 5th, instead of..
May the 4th be with you.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:10 AM

QUOTE (ManDog @ Friday, May 4 2012, 22:05)
May the 4th be with you.

Sorry man, it's 10Pm the 4th where I live. And not to rub it in but I live in the EST zone - only the most popular time zone in the world sneaky2.gif

AlexGTAGamer
  • AlexGTAGamer

Time flies when you throw a clock.

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:14 AM

QUOTE (ManDog @ Saturday, May 5 2012, 03:05)
May the 4th be with you.

Better late than never I guess on the other clock, timezones and all. tounge.gif

Watching A New Hope is definitely on my "to do list" now.

It wouldn't be Star Wars Day without the theme:

(Courtesy of the BBC Concert Orchestra)

Marlowe.
  • Marlowe.

I Still Jerk-off Manually

• Members

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:31 AM

It's strange. I thought May 4th/5th was special, but I couldn't for the life of me remember why.

I'm going to celebrate by watching The Phantom Menace, f*ck traditionalists. Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:32 AM

QUOTE (Marlowe. @ Friday, May 4 2012, 18:31)
It's strange. I thought May 4th/5th was special, but I couldn't for the life of me remember why.

I'm going to celebrate by watching The Phantom Menace, f*ck traditionalists. Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

I enjoy the Phantom Menace, but I have to watch the Original. Or at least Empire.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:43 AM

QUOTE (darthYENIK @ Friday, May 4 2012, 22:32)
QUOTE (Marlowe. @ Friday, May 4 2012, 18:31)

I'm going to celebrate by watching The Phantom Menace, f*ck traditionalists.  Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

I enjoy the Phantom Menace, but I have to watch the Original. Or at least Empire.

"Or at least Empire". Well, if you are going to celebrate ya might just as well go full out I guess. biggrin.gif

RARusk
  • RARusk

The Man With No Avatar

• Members

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:06 AM

My first viewing of "Star Wars" was with a 5th grade school field trip in August 1977. My first viewing of "The Empire Strikes Back" was on the third day of showings in 1980. My first viewing of "The Return of the Jedi" was opening night in 1983.

Episode I was "meh", Episode II damn near put me to sleep, Episode III was okay.

I also did a four month temporary gametesting position for Lucasfilm Games twenty years ago mainly working on an obscure Indiana Jones game. It is my intent to return to that company in some form.

Trip, not to be a bummer, but the bear in your sig was recently run over and killed. Not quite a happy ending for the poor fellow.

TheCacti
  • TheCacti

l'administration vous emmerde

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Macau

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:17 AM

I'd actually only learned about this day while listening to WXPN this morning. Took me a while to realize they were saying may the 'fourth' be with you biggrin.gif

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:19 AM

QUOTE (RARusk @ Friday, May 4 2012, 23:06)
Trip, not to be a bummer, but the bear in your sig was recently run over and killed. Not quite a happy ending for the poor fellow.

Are you serious? f*ck! Now that is crazy.

And to stay on topic. Nice to see another brother from the first generation of star wars kids.
user posted image

I had this watch. It was right at the birth of digital watches - how timely.

I have to admit I hated Ep 1 and 2, but they have since grown on me. My wife and I watch all 6 once a year. The tradition is to start at ep 1 when we get our first winter snow. I'm a lucky man though. Sure I have a few of the original box sets, but they were all VHS - I happen to have the original(unbasterdized originals) on DVD thanks to some weird Indonesian black market deal before any versions were released on DVD. The last thing I want to see is Jabba in A New Hope.

TheCacti
  • TheCacti

l'administration vous emmerde

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Macau

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:30 AM

I just find it so hard to enjoy the prequels no matter how hard I try. Jar-jar binks makes me want to headbutt my tv. Plus, it has something to do with seeing well-recognizable hollywood stars talking about the Republic and Empire that just ruins the aura of the fantasy for me. I don't want any stars in star wars. Who the f*ck is Mark Hamill? That's Luke f*ckin Skywalker.

Cuban Warlord
  • Cuban Warlord

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:42 AM

Star Wars is the best trilogy ever made imo and I'm talking about the first three of course.

Not a fan of Ep 1 or Ep 2.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• Members
  • Jamaica
  • Yardie Achievement Award

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:50 AM

QUOTE (TheCacti @ Saturday, May 5 2012, 05:30)
I just find it so hard to enjoy the prequels no matter how hard I try. Jar-jar binks makes me want to headbutt my tv. Plus, it has something to do with seeing well-recognizable hollywood stars talking about the Republic and Empire that just ruins the aura of the fantasy for me. I don't want any stars in star wars. Who the f*ck is Mark Hamill? That's Luke f*ckin Skywalker.

This is how I feel. Star Wars was so immersive to me because I had no idea who those actors were. I was a kid when I first saw it so I had no clue that Harrison Ford was famous. I associated him with Han Solo for a long time before watching Indiana Jones.

RARusk
  • RARusk

The Man With No Avatar

• Members

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:28 AM

QUOTE (trip @ Saturday, May 5 2012, 03:19)
QUOTE (RARusk @ Friday, May 4 2012, 23:06)

Are you serious? f*ck! Now that is crazy.

And to stay on topic. Nice to see another brother from the first generation of star wars kids.
user posted image

When the bear fell from the tree they put on a tracking device while it was still drugged. That's how they found out about its demise. The article on this was posted about a day or so ago.

I actually had one of those watches. Not the exact one but another Star Wars related watch that had interchangable stickers for the faceplate.

Because Star Wars was such a big event back then our 5th grade class had a Star Wars related Christmas play. I was C3PO. And, yes, I did watch the Star Wars Holiday Special. Most of my memories on it are fuzzy. Considering what I heard about it this may not be a bad thing.

Back when I was living in San Francisco my father was a CSM and we were living on the Presidio Army Base (best base ever). We stayed until 1993. It was eventually closed down in the mid-nineties. Later, Lucas moved most of his operations to the Presidio which makes me very happy. I would absolutely love to go back to personally see what he has done with the place. Based on the pictures I've seen it looks awesome.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:06 AM

QUOTE (RARusk @ Saturday, May 5 2012, 20:28)
I actually had one of those watches. Not the exact one but another Star Wars related watch that had interchangable stickers for the faceplate.

Dude, that is the same watch I had...too cool. I never used any of the stickers to change the face plate though. I swear it is the same one in the pic, but you know how the memory goes with time.

I actually watched the xmas special this year. It was the first time I saw it since it originally aired on TV back when. If we were able to recognize it as being as bad as it was when we were younger you can only imagine how bad it is to see it again now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users