Round 1: Lock, Stock vs. The Godfather

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic
Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:33 PM Edited by Indi, 04 May 2012 - 09:48 PM.

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels vs. The Godfather

Rules:
No polls, just a review and your opinion on why you believe the film you've chosen should stay higher up in the list. 50 words or more, 40 is accepted if you have expressed your opinion in a satisfactory standard.

Have fun!

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:51 PM Edited by Typhus, 04 May 2012 - 09:54 PM.

In my view, this is a battle between two types of storytelling.
One is a grandiose saga. The other is an informal, anecdotal melting pot. The cerebral and the seedy.

The Godfather is almost operatic, a tale of a doomed son, destined to follow his father into a life of crime. It is a sweeping, breathtaking epic. The characters, if not complex, are at least all portrayed skillfully by their respective actors. It's more about the theme than the intricacies. How far would you go for family? Michael Corleone destroys his life and eventually alienates all of those around him due to the choice he makes in this film. But throughout the whole movie he is quietly confident that his actions are just and correct because he is protecting his father.
Family, the sacred nature of the family, is key here. The rules of the clique, the values of the inner circle, circumvent those of civilised society. Never has crime been explored in such a simplistic, yet magnificent fashion.

In contrast, Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels is an exercise in understatement. Well, most of the time. It is the tale of grubby little men interacting with equally grubby little men. Whilst the acting in the Godfather was a wonder to behold, the performances in Lock, Stock never rise above what you would expect from a standard genre piece.
The real beauty of this movie lies in its enticing squalor. Smoky, infernal pubs. Hazy neon clubs. It tells the story of a vast underworld with its own values and customs. Whilst its spiritual sequel, Snatch, may have been the superior movie, this is something of a creative triumph.

Whilst I believe that The Godfather is the clear winner, it is not as easy a conquest as you would think. It is actually less fun to watch than Lock, Stock, which is just so shamelessly brutal and silly that you can't help but be engrossed.
Godfather is a commitment, you sit down and go on the journey with the characters, taking in every hushed conversation and swift, brutal killing.
The world is grander, the characters are deeper, the acting is better.
The Godfather is the superior film.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:20 PM

Typhus, nicely written and I agree. However, I think you are sort of contradicting yourself when you say Lock Stock is more fun to watch.

I know where you're coming from. It's technically better vs fun better. I remember thinking this when the last list was done. Are we voting for the more enjoyable film or the technically superior film.

For example, if a comedy comes up, say American Pie versus a film like Happiness. Happiness might be a more serious or dark film and the writing maybe more 'intellectual' (for want of a better word) - so how are we going to be voting.

Some times I hate voting for a film that I know is probably not as difficult to achieve as another but I'm voting for it because the theme of the film is feeling (laughter) that I prefer. Does one's preference for laughter make a comedy film better than a drama?

Maybe Indi, you'd write a short proposal on how people should vote?

Am I just too baked here?

DeeperRed
  • DeeperRed

Damn it feels good to be gangsta

• Zaibatsu

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:20 AM Edited by DeeperRed, 05 May 2012 - 01:00 AM.

Godfather for me.

Its contains the best arc of character development ever crafted. As Micheal's character goes from the down to earth family man into top criminal. Every section of the story is played slow, allowing you to take in all detail, the great characters and turning events. When the action hits, its usally swift and brutal. Al Pacino gives a performance of a life time (No one best come at me with Heat). The direction is beautiful as well, the dialouge is wonderful with realism that really helps invest yourself into the characters. It truly is great in every aspect, including the wonderful soundtrack. Now I also have huge love for Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels but in a completely different way. Its hip, fast but unlike the norm is still clever and contains some great characters. However your more enjoying the actors antics and there witty diolouge then actually watching these characters change and because there is very little of that. Its still a very entertaining watch however its emotional impact is nothing other then laughter. I think when I watch both I am just as entertained with each for there different reasons however when the films finish, your left thinking with Godfather, not just about how much has changed but what will happen now. Where as with Lock, Stock its over, It was great fun but nothing deep, nothing to ponder.

@ThePinkFloydSound

I judge entertainment by how engrossed I was with a movie. This combo is the perfect example. I was more engrossed with the world and characters of Godfather then I was Lock, Stock. I can watch Lock, Stock have a great time because I am laughing, and enjoying the slick visual prowess whereas when I watch Godfather I am having a great time because I am engrossed in the story and all great characters however the latter has a much larger lasting impact from with me and i can watch it again and be sucked back in all over again. Lock, Stock each watch (for me)is just not as entertaining, I know the gags, I know the shots. Anyway to get to the point, If you find laughter for you has a bigger impact, and its what, out enjoy the most then choose that.

Cuban Warlord
  • Cuban Warlord

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:40 AM

+1 for Godfather

The movie itself pretty much started the genre of gangster films and it's one of those movies that when you see it on TV you always stop and watch it. It's a classic of course and It reflects the time period its set in very well. The characters are very well thought up and Micheal's growth from military veteran to mafia big shot was great. The story is compelling and pulls you in deeper as the movie goes on. At the time this movie was made people didn't know about the rules and inner workings of a mafia family and this film painted a vivid picture and informed us of what it was like in those times. From the directing to the producing and the acting to the story writers The Godfather is the better film.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:08 AM

QUOTE (ThePinkFloydSound @ Friday, May 4 2012, 23:20)
Typhus, nicely written and I agree. However, I think you are sort of contradicting yourself when you say Lock Stock is more fun to watch.

Lock, Stock is more instantly entertaining. Given its humour and violence.
The Godfather makes you work the old grey matter a little and is therefore the more entertaining film, even if it isn't as superficially fun as its opponent.
Basically Godfather is the equivalent of drinking a fine wine and Lock, Stock is comparable to guzzling down twelve cans of cola in one sitting.

A dark comedy will always be more entertaining than a drama, but if you commit yourself to watching a drama you come away with a far wider range of emotions. See my reasoning?

Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:11 AM

QUOTE (ThePinkFloydSound @ Saturday, May 5 2012, 00:20)
Maybe Indi, you'd write a short proposal on how people should vote?

Am I just too baked here?

Just a matter of voicing your opinion in a satisfactory standard.

Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:17 PM Edited by Indi, 05 May 2012 - 03:20 PM.

I vote: Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels tounge.gif .

Many would probably disagree with me at this stage; but to be honest Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels kept my concentration and entertainment level higher then The Godfather. Though "The Godfather," I agree to be cinematic genius; it doesn't entertain me as much as "Lock, Stock."

In my own personal opinion, I think that Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels is full of laughs; and is also like "The Godfather" in terms of it both being a gangster-styled movie. While the acting and the story may not be as strong as "The Godfather," I can still say that I preferred "Lock, Stock" overall, the pop culture references and the music from the 60s and 70s is great.

"Pay the cost to be the boss."

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:57 PM

It's an interesting comparison, because both films are quite experimental and stylish for their time. You read interviews with Murch and you'll find out how much sorcery went into the mix on The Godfather, and Lock Stock's distinct flavor is still very apparent today.

It's actually a much harder decision than I had originally thought, but I've got to concede this one to The Godfather because of the breadth of storytelling and emotional impact. Lock Stock is burlesque in comparison and fails to resonate on the same level.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:56 PM

This battle is fight between idealized italian family with their traditions, values and honor and gritty, brutal british gangsters who seem to don't have any principles in their lifes.

Both movies are great, but they are totally different and serve a totally different purpose. The Godfather with it's great story (based on fantastic book) and superb and really deep character creation (Michael, who turns from man who wants to live honest life turns into fierceful gangster, because of strong family values he learned and love to his father) is movie, which leaves a lot of thoughts in your head and which you will remember for the rest of your life, where LS&TSB is more like popcorn flick to watch and forget a couple of hours later. It almost doesn't have any character creation (I couldn't care less about the guys and it doesn't really matter if one of them was called Bacon, Kettle or Jack the Hachet.) and the story was based mostly on let's-mess-everything-up-to-make-it-funny type of actions, where The Godfather is based mostly on emotions.

We all know about The Godfather as it was referenced countless times (even in kids movies like Rugrats in Paris), but I haven't heard about LS&TSB until this topic. Fact like this shows what place this movie are taking in our history.

My votes of course goes to The Godfather.

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:48 PM

I'm voting Lock, Stock for my choice. Why? I think it handles tons and tons of characters really well, its got around like 20 characters who all have personalities and flaws. I also like the whole 70s thing its got going, with the whole brown tint. Also, Godfather is probably going to win this one so I figured I'd vote for the underdog.

ShaneHunter
  • ShaneHunter

The Boss

• Members

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:39 AM

Arguably my favorite film of all time is The Godfather.

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels handles all its colorful characters beautifully and with ease. Also who could forget the quick witted characters and the humor. It is clear that it took a lot from Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs which is why i feel that The Godfather is the better of the two.
The Godfather is the more mature and theme heavy film of the two, it changed the way films looked and how films were made.
It was original in everything it did, it was also seen as very artsy for its time. Lock, Stock was a British Pulp Fiction and i'm not using it against it because i love that film, Guy Ritchie is one of my favorite directors. But still, The Godfather it is with all of its performances and all the technical wonders. It is a masterpiece and i hope it either wins or gets one of the top spots.

Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:13 PM

Voting stopped.

The Godfather wins.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users