Obesity

83 replies to this topic
Nah Tso Gud
  • Nah Tso Gud

SuperHonky

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:24 AM

QUOTE (Cuban Warlord @ Friday, May 4 2012, 23:22)
For some people its not as easy as just exercising or eating healthier. They go through tragic situations in their lives or rough times and they turn to over eating to deal with the pain. So just like alcoholism its a mental sickness for some people and they need the correct help.

Well if they actually gave it a shot - exercising and eating well, they'd find out that it would help their mood much much more than eating like a slob.

It's just too bad.. but I'm assuming people like that are old enough to think for themselves... What really saddens me is when you see the parents passing these habits on to their children... I was just at.Fort Myers Beach in Florida and I saw two (extremely) obese parents handing their toddler a big gulp style soda that was Damn near as big as he was... All I said was "that poor kid doesn't even have a chance."

Cuban Warlord
  • Cuban Warlord

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:14 AM

QUOTE (Nah Tso Gud @ Saturday, May 5 2012, 07:24)
For some people its not as easy as just exercising or eating healthier. They go through tragic situations in their lives or rough times and they turn to over eating to deal with the pain. So just like alcoholism its a mental sickness for some people and they need the correct help.

Well if they actually gave it a shot - exercising and eating well, they'd find out that it would help their mood much much more than eating like a slob.

It's just too bad.. but I'm assuming people like that are old enough to think for themselves... What really saddens me is when you see the parents passing these habits on to their children... I was just at.Fort Myers Beach in Florida and I saw two (extremely) obese parents handing their toddler a big gulp style soda that was Damn near as big as he was... All I said was "that poor kid doesn't even have a chance."

Your probably right in the fact that if people gave healthy eating and exercising a chance they would see results and then their whole depressed mood would change. It just all comes back to laziness and people not willing to give it a shot.

As far as the parents effecting their kids and giving them unhealthy food, that is just terrible parenting and that parenting skill being passed down from their parents and so on. The information and knowledge is out there but those types of parents are stubborn.

I don't think the problem in America is getting rid of all the unhealthy food and drinks in schools and other places. It's ok to have these things in moderation if you exercise and make sure that these foods are not the only foods you have in your diet. In the end its laziness and the accessibility that everyone has to get these foods. It also comes back to will power, and most people just don't have it.

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

Ron Swanson, A Swan Song.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:17 AM

QUOTE (Irviding @ Saturday, May 5 2012, 01:42)
I think we almost intrinsically try to act as if it isn't happening.

I can actually see that happening, to be honest. Very good point.

One thing that's always shocked me is when some people are affected massively by their weight yet they continue to do bugger all about it. I know someone who is roughly 20+stone and has sleep apnea. He wears an oxygen mask to bed because he stops breathing in his sleep. There's no other cause other than the fact that he is obese. The other night he had half a pizza, a plate of chips and about three slices of bread in one meal. To me, that's purely disgusting, unnecessary greed and it makes me sick.

I get that people can suffer emotionally and all that jazz but at the end of the day, I'd say a good majority of the time, it's down to greed and laziness. As my house-mate often says, these days we are given too much choice, too much of an unhealthy choice. Personally, I think you can eat whatever the hell you want and not have to worry about it, as long as it's in moderation. Moderation is the key to a balanced diet.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:23 AM

Poverty, junk food, animals stuffed with so many unhealthy chemicals to make them grow faster and larger, chemicals to make meat look more vibrant and attractive etc. Then there's genetically modified plant seed as well. You can put most of the blame on food industry and overall economy. Of course some fat f*cks just eat too much. Then there's the fact that people don't have the time to cook their own natural food so they just eat junk food or go to cheap diners. There's a lot of factors involved in the problem of obesity.

I also heard that in America there is a law that prohibits people from growing their own food for their own needs? Is this true? Because that sounds evil.

In my country most older people have a country house where they grow fruit and vegetables. All natural. None of that genetically engineered plant seed. My parents grow a lot of fruit and vegetables. And I mean A LOT. I don't remember the last time we had to buy anything. It's a worthy hobby that many people in my country suddenly develop once they turn 50. Needless to say I'm perfectly healthy. At least physically.

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:14 AM

QUOTE (Xcommunicated @ Saturday, May 5 2012, 01:23)
QUOTE (trip @ Thursday, May 3 2012, 22:39)
I don't want to piss anyone off, or make any enemies, but obesity is a personal choice and there is no excuse.

I agree. I don't really buy the whole poverty excuse either. I can go to sh*tty old Walmart and buy plenty of food items that are both healthy AND inexpensive. For example:
    large container of rolled oats: less that $2
    5 lb bag of grits: approx. $2.30
    bag of plain pasta noodles: cheap, like under $2 cheap
    Box of Success rice (6 large bags): around $3
    Potatoes: cheap (can't remember general $/lb, but it isn't much)

5 dozen eggs: I've seen these large cartons for like $5 before
    Boneless, skinless chicken breasts: around $2/lb (which is really inexpensive for a protein source)
    Canned tuna: around $3.40 for 4 cans (or 1 lb)
    ground beef: between $3 and $4 depending on leanness

olive, canola, etc. oils: again can be found cheap

apples: plenty are less than $1/lb
    vegetables: some are more expensive than others, but it's not hard to find cheaper ones either.
Prices will vary from one area to another, but still, there's plenty of healthy stuff that can make a complete, balanced meal and cost no more, if not less, than fast food. Thing is, people are usually too lazy to put the effort in to prepare the food. And then there's the problem with people being more or less addicted to high sodium and genetically modified additives in fast food to the point that they can't bare the taste of clean food.

As far as psychological aspects such as depression, I don't know what to say to that other than that's a sh*tty way to deal with one's problems. Maybe try manning the f*ck up and dealing with life like most others do rather than stuffing one's face? Seems sensible to me.

That food is not nearly as energy dense as McDonakds though.

agent17
  • agent17

Absolution

• Members

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:03 PM

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Saturday, May 5 2012, 04:23)
I also heard that in America there is a law that prohibits people from growing their own food for their own needs? Is this true? Because that sounds evil.

This has been quite an issue lately. Police will literally draw their guns on families to restrain them while the police destroy their farms, if it isn't operating the way the government demands. Lately there have been a surge of new laws and regulations placed on local and private farms.

Xcommunicated
  • Xcommunicated

A Stitch in Time C9

• United-States

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:16 PM

QUOTE (Irviding @ Saturday, May 5 2012, 06:14)
QUOTE (Xcommunicated @ Saturday, May 5 2012, 01:23)
QUOTE (trip @ Thursday, May 3 2012, 22:39)
I don't want to piss anyone off, or make any enemies, but obesity is a personal choice and there is no excuse.

I agree. I don't really buy the whole poverty excuse either. I can go to sh*tty old Walmart and buy plenty of food items that are both healthy AND inexpensive. For example:
    large container of rolled oats: less that $2
    5 lb bag of grits: approx. $2.30
    bag of plain pasta noodles: cheap, like under $2 cheap
    Box of Success rice (6 large bags): around $3
    Potatoes: cheap (can't remember general $/lb, but it isn't much)

5 dozen eggs: I've seen these large cartons for like $5 before
    Boneless, skinless chicken breasts: around $2/lb (which is really inexpensive for a protein source)
    Canned tuna: around $3.40 for 4 cans (or 1 lb)
    ground beef: between $3 and $4 depending on leanness

olive, canola, etc. oils: again can be found cheap

apples: plenty are less than $1/lb
    vegetables: some are more expensive than others, but it's not hard to find cheaper ones either.
Prices will vary from one area to another, but still, there's plenty of healthy stuff that can make a complete, balanced meal and cost no more, if not less, than fast food. Thing is, people are usually too lazy to put the effort in to prepare the food. And then there's the problem with people being more or less addicted to high sodium and genetically modified additives in fast food to the point that they can't bare the taste of clean food.

As far as psychological aspects such as depression, I don't know what to say to that other than that's a sh*tty way to deal with one's problems. Maybe try manning the f*ck up and dealing with life like most others do rather than stuffing one's face? Seems sensible to me.

That food is not nearly as energy dense as McDonakds though.

Which is why they're grossly obese. Fast food is very dense in macronutrients, namely fats (and then namely saturated and trans fats), but it's missing many important vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals. Deficiencies in micronutrients will lead to health problems which in turn will contribute to obesity as well.

Yeah, I've seen several studies correlating obesity to poverty over the years, but I still believe that those studies overlook the fact that these people are often ignorant and lazy and go for the quick, easy fix.

CheesyJ
  • CheesyJ

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:22 PM

It's a massive problem. You do get some people who genuinely have medical problems that cause it, but a lot choose to do it with their diets and lack of exercise.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:31 PM

QUOTE (agent17 @ Saturday, May 5 2012, 12:03)

This has been quite an issue lately. Police will literally draw their guns on families to restrain them while the police destroy their farms, if it isn't operating the way the government demands. Lately there have been a surge of new laws and regulations placed on local and private farms.

Maybe too many legislators own large farms and want keep the subsidies they pass to themselves, thus the need for destroying the small farmer keeps the pie sharing from being diluted.

Nah Tso Gud
  • Nah Tso Gud

SuperHonky

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE (Cuban Warlord @ Saturday, May 5 2012, 03:14)
QUOTE (Nah Tso Gud @ Saturday, May 5 2012, 07:24)

Your probably right in the fact that if people gave healthy eating and exercising a chance they would see results and then their whole depressed mood would change. It just all comes back to laziness and people not willing to give it a shot.

As far as the parents effecting their kids and giving them unhealthy food, that is just terrible parenting and that parenting skill being passed down from their parents and so on. The information and knowledge is out there but those types of parents are stubborn.

I don't think the problem in America is getting rid of all the unhealthy food and drinks in schools and other places. It's ok to have these things in moderation if you exercise and make sure that these foods are not the only foods you have in your diet. In the end its laziness and the accessibility that everyone has to get these foods. It also comes back to will power, and most people just don't have it.

Well just exercising can completely turn your mood around, almost instantly ( no results required ). Im not sure on the physiology behind it ( or whatever, lol ) but quality of life seems to improve greatly whenever I lift.. Im not sure if theres some sort of release of endorphins, or what.. but I am a much more positive person, my patience increases greatly, I sleep so much better, think clearer and more.

Anyhow, I really do have empathy for those that are "gravitationally challenged" ( biggrin.gif sorry).... especially the kids that fall victim to inheriting such poor habits.. I saw a 12-14 year old that reminded me of the boy in that movie Bad Santa, that wasnt able to get on a roller coaster because of her size, she just had to stand there in the exit line and watch as everyone else got to go on without her.. in all honesty, it damn near brought a tear to my eye. I would really like to help people like that more often.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:21 PM

QUOTE (agent17 @ Saturday, May 5 2012, 14:03)

So it's true? That's retarded! Why would anyone want to stop their own citizens from growing food?

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

mountaineer

• Mongolia
  • Best Senior Moderator 2013

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE (agent17 @ Saturday, May 5 2012, 07:03)

Uh, source? I've never heard of somebody's vegetable garden being stomped by police, unless you're referring to larger-scale farms for commerical use.

Avanja, don't believe that sh*t. I've never heard of any laws prohibiting the use of a private vegetable garden or livestock raising, or even community gardens (which exist in droves in inner city communities).

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:50 PM

QUOTE (Moonshield @ Saturday, May 5 2012, 10:53)

Uh, source? I've never heard of somebody's vegetable garden being stomped by police, unless you're referring to larger-scale farms for commerical use.

Avanja, don't believe that sh*t. I've never heard of any laws prohibiting the use of a private vegetable garden or livestock raising, or even community gardens (which exist in droves in inner city communities).

I'm with ya. That's just crazy talk.

At most you need to be zoned for livestock if you are going to raise animals for slaughter. My family has large donkeys and goats on their farm, but do not need special zoning since they don't slaughter their large animals. They have a sh*t ton of chickens too. None of them are ever slaughtered for food, but no special zoning is needed for that anyway. Nor do the police show up to confiscate the eggs.

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:24 PM

Which is why they're grossly obese.  Fast food is very dense in macronutrients, namely fats (and then namely saturated and trans fats), but it's missing many important vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals.  Deficiencies in micronutrients will lead to health problems which in turn will contribute to obesity as well.

Yeah, I've seen several studies correlating obesity to poverty over the years, but I still believe that those studies overlook the fact that these people are often ignorant and lazy and go for the quick, easy fi

Partly, yes. But the reason they choose that energy dense food is because it keeps them full longer. I want you to go to McDonald's, and eat 1-2 dollar cheeseburgers and a small fries. You will probably only require another meal early in the evening if you ate that in the morning.

And no, there are no trans fats in McDonald's food anymore. As I have said at least 5-6 times, fats are not inherently unhealthy. The notion they are shows a total lack of understanding of basic nutrition.

Xcommunicated
  • Xcommunicated

A Stitch in Time C9

• United-States

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:10 AM

QUOTE (Irviding @ Saturday, May 5 2012, 13:24)

Which is why they're grossly obese.  Fast food is very dense in macronutrients, namely fats (and then namely saturated and trans fats), but it's missing many important vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals.  Deficiencies in micronutrients will lead to health problems which in turn will contribute to obesity as well.

Yeah, I've seen several studies correlating obesity to poverty over the years, but I still believe that those studies overlook the fact that these people are often ignorant and lazy and go for the quick, easy fi

Partly, yes. But the reason they choose that energy dense food is because it keeps them full longer. I want you to go to McDonald's, and eat 1-2 dollar cheeseburgers and a small fries. You will probably only require another meal early in the evening if you ate that in the morning.

And no, there are no trans fats in McDonald's food anymore. As I have said at least 5-6 times, fats are not inherently unhealthy. The notion they are shows a total lack of understanding of basic nutrition.

I never said fats were unhealthy. Obviously everyone needs a proper balance of essential fatty acids. However, saturated fats, such as those from animal fats, ARE unhealthy in high amounts.

And why use Mcdonalds as the basis for everything here? They're not the only ones who sell cheap fast food. Trans fats can still be found in lots of junk. Studies have shown that even in moderation, trans fats can still harm a person's HDL levels and contribute to obesity.

High fructose corn syrup is also a part of the problem. In consistently high doses, it's been believed to cause insulin resistance over time, which goes hand in hand with obesity and the development of type II diabetes.

I want you to go to McDonald's, and eat 1-2 dollar cheeseburgers and a small fries. You will probably only require another meal early in the evening if you ate that in the morning.

Apart from the fact that eating only twice a day contributes to obesity and a loss of muscle mass, this is just nonsense. If I ate that crap I'd likely feel sluggish followed by violent projectile sh*ts of partially digested synthetic and GM garbage within 45 minutes. But that's beside the point. Bottom line is these people could still find plenty of ways to eat more smaller, healthier meals throughout the day without much cost, but they are mostly horribly uneducated and ignorant about proper nutrition. Even in the off chance some of them do know, they typically lack the initiative to break from the quick and easy fix.

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:30 AM

That's not the point. It doesn't matter that you'd feel sluggish. The point is, nutritional experts, sociologists, etc. all are on the same side as me on this. You can argue all you want that it's healthier to make simple foods, but in the end, those simple healthy foods do not keep you full as long nor do they cost as little in the end.

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

The boatman stays with the boat.

• Members

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:47 AM

QUOTE (Irviding @ Saturday, May 5 2012, 13:24)
I want you to go to McDonald's, and eat 1-2 dollar cheeseburgers and a small fries. You will probably only require another meal early in the evening if you ate that in the morning.

I'd say for a McDouble, a snack wrap, and a fry, but that's just me. I like my variety.

Xcommunicated
  • Xcommunicated

A Stitch in Time C9

• United-States

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE (Irviding @ Saturday, May 5 2012, 22:30)
That's not the point. It doesn't matter that you'd feel sluggish. The point is, nutritional experts, sociologists, etc. all are on the same side as me on this. You can argue all you want that it's healthier to make simple foods, but in the end, those simple healthy foods do not keep you full as long nor do they cost as little in the end.

So what are you and your supposed "nutritional experts and sociologists" trying to say exactly? That people have a better chance of survival from eating utter sh*t than they do from trying to make healthier, albeit affordable, choices? Sorry, I'm not buying it. Yet wasn't the original discussion concerned with WHY these people are obese followed by the imminent onset of type II diabetes? Yeah, I believe it was.

It's simple fact that you are what you eat. You follow a sh*tty diet, then you'll look and feel like sh*t. Any dumbass knows that. It's still obvious that what puts 99.9% of people at risk of obesity is their own ignorance and laziness towards nutrition more so than their financial situation.

agent17
  • agent17

Absolution

• Members

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE (trip @ Saturday, May 5 2012, 10:50)
QUOTE (Moonshield @ Saturday, May 5 2012, 10:53)

I'm with ya. That's just crazy talk.

At most you need to be zoned for livestock if you are going to raise animals for slaughter. My family has large donkeys and goats on their farm, but do not need special zoning since they don't slaughter their large animals. They have a sh*t ton of chickens too. None of them are ever slaughtered for food, but no special zoning is needed for that anyway. Nor do the police show up to confiscate the eggs.

I thought it was crazy too, until it happened to a local farmer.

Also, here is a video related to the subject:

Laws on farms vary from state to state, and where you live. Which creates a host of complications ans misconceptions.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:14 PM Edited by finn4life, 06 May 2012 - 01:18 PM.

QUOTE (Irviding @ Sunday, May 6 2012, 14:30)

Actually Irviding is kind of right, Fat is the most complex food energy source and provides the most energy per gram, which is like 37Kilojoules per gram (9 kilocalories per gram) as opposed to carbohydrates which are down at like 16 kilojoules ( 4kilocalories) per gram.

Fat because it is more complex is much more difficult to break down so it's energy release is much slower than that of Carbohydrates.
Therefore you will feel fuller for longer in eating filled foods as opposed to eating low-fat carbohydrate filled meals.

Yes It is much worse for you in the long run, ridiculously worse, but someone in a poverty like situation doesn't care about that, they just know maccas makes them feel full for longer. (If poverty stricken people in America actually eat maccas over other meals like Irviding says).

It may not just be Maccas though, these people may purchase cheap processed heat in the microwave dinners for similar reasons, it's filling, cheap, easy to make and tastes good, these things are important for people of lower socio-economic status because often they will be working longer hours at low wages to try and make ends meet and making time to cook proper meals could be difficult when a cheap fix taste close to as good and fills you up just the same...even if it is the worst thing for your long term health.

Suihkubad
  • Suihkubad

Peon

• Members

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:05 PM

WTF are you people saying that mc donalds food keeps you full longer? 1-2 cheeseburgers keep me less hungry for about an hour. I could easily eat 6000 cals a day from fast food. The amount of energy really does nothing. Try dark bread, porridge, rice and chicken etc.

SlickSpencer8
  • SlickSpencer8

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:30 PM

QUOTE (Suihkubad @ Sunday, May 6 2012, 14:05)
WTF are you people saying that mc donalds food keeps you full longer? 1-2 cheeseburgers keep me less hungry for about an hour. I could easily eat 6000 cals a day from fast food. The amount of energy really does nothing. Try dark bread, porridge, rice and chicken etc.

That or pasta. Pasta will keep you full for most part of the day it makes you want to eat more.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:40 PM

QUOTE (Suihkubad @ Monday, May 7 2012, 01:05)

As a fellow Finn living in Australia, those are the nicest combinations of food.
SPencer you are right, Pasta does keep you full because it is so full of carbohydrates.

SlickSpencer8
  • SlickSpencer8

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:03 PM

QUOTE (finn4life @ Sunday, May 6 2012, 22:40)
it is so full of carbohydrates.

Yeah, that's it. I couldn't think of the word lol. biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users