Photo

The PMRC aftermath

No replies to this topic
Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:27 PM Edited by Slamman, 03 May 2012 - 04:39 PM.

Al Gore's wife, in the 1980s had formed the PMRC with the quote unquote Washington Wives, I knew about this from the press surrounding the first real music controversy that affected the music I liked, I also felt the artists and artist funding and support was being undermined, now after the era and existence of the Parents Music Resource Center has come to pass, express here it's lasting impact and feelings about it

If you can't recall the goings-on, perhaps some archivals can be amassed in this thread to give back ground and historical notice

The Parents Music Resource Center (PMRC) was an American committee formed in 1985 with the stated goal of increasing parental control over the access of children to music deemed to be violent, have drug use or be sexual via labeling and censorship. The committee was founded by four women: Tipper Gore, wife of Senator and later Vice President Al Gore; Susan Baker, wife of Treasury Secretary James Baker; Pam Howar, wife of Washington realtor Raymond Howar; and Sally Nevius, wife of former Washington City Council Chairman John Nevius. They were known as the "Washington wives" -- a reference to their husbands' connections with government in the Washington, D.C. area. The Center eventually grew to include 22 participants.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users