The Elder Scrolls Online

171 replies to this topic
Durden
  • Durden

The annoying voice in your head

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:20 AM

I was never a fan of TES series. I played several fun hours of Skyrim, before I abruptly quit the game as soon as I discovered you can only get ~80 skill points meaning you must choose a build wisely. I'm a jack of all trades guy - I can't commit to a specific playstyle. I like to switch things up, so I suddenly hates Skyrim. I still have no idea if TES: Online was going to have a similar restriction or not, but either way I was probably going to buy the game until now.

They need to wake the f*ck up - nobody is doing that sh*t anymore. GTAO is twice the MMORPG that TES:O is, yet its free for all.

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:03 AM

QUOTE (Narcis_speed6 @ Friday, May 4 2012, 03:15)
Entire Tamriel? holy sh*t, can't wait to see how it looks like.

So basically ES1?

MMFF
  • MMFF

Double M Double F

• Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:02 AM

I'm in no way shocked at all. It's a bummer, but I may pay it. These days it's either pay to play or pay to win and I'd always prefer the former.

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:16 AM

60 for the game + 13x12 = 216 the first year...

zainzombie
  • zainzombie

PRE-ORDER CANCELLED! *sob sob*

• Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:06 AM

Good. Let them fail and set an example for others. $60 game and $15 monthly.......... what a joke.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:18 PM

Right. A Star Wars MMO didn't last a full year with a subscription only model, and they thing TES will. Are they really that stupid?

NCONiall
  • NCONiall

Alright Dave?

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:17 PM

QUOTE (nightwalker83 @ Thursday, Aug 22 2013, 07:03)
QUOTE (Narcis_speed6 @ Friday, May 4 2012, 03:15)
Entire Tamriel? holy sh*t, can't wait to see how it looks like.

So basically ES1?

Yes, only it will be 20 gigabytes rather than 20 megabytes.

I knew it would be a subscription model but I was hoping for the standard buy now, have forever. I probably won't play this for some time, my PC is too weak, I won't have a PS4 until a year and a half from now, and I can't afford it - the equivalent of $15 a month is too much of a strain and they'll probably up the price when it's converted to sterling.

Twang.
  • Twang.

No greater good, no just cause.

• The Connection

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:14 PM

While the subscription method is scary for your wallet, it's the method with the best chance for quality. Free-to-play soon morphs in to pay-to-win anyway. The two longest lasting and highest-quality MMORPGs (WoW and FFXI) are subs. Then there are tons of F2P MMOs out that no two people in this thread can come out and say they've both played extensively.

Don't even point to The Old Republic, the Star Wars franchise doesn't have a Skyrim-level hit in it to boost recognition. Even KOTOR only sold about as much as Morrowind. Plus, the Elder Scrolls fanbase is a gaming fanbase first and foremost, where Star Wars has multiple mediums (most notably: film and books). I also don't think it's a stretch to say that the fantasy setting seems more appealing to MMO gamers than a sci-fi one.

I also hate to say this, but $15 is not that much. Adjusting for inflation, that's actually less than what WoW charged in 2004. Plus, I saw someone talking about how much money they put in to WoW, and they did the math and it was something like $1080 over 6 years. On that scale, it looks rather manageable. I mean, when was the last time $1000 got you that much entertainment? I bought a car for $3600 and it lasted me 7 years.

I don't think it will have the staying power of WoW, though. I can see it having 2-3 years of success with the sub model, then going F2P after TES6 is released. Still entirely cautiously optimistic about this, but I actually see this news as reassuring.

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:49 PM

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Thursday, Aug 22 2013, 23:48)
Right. A Star Wars MMO didn't last a full year with a subscription only model, and they thing TES will. Are they really that stupid?

SW wasn't FTP?

Chukkles
  • Chukkles

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:03 AM

QUOTE (nightwalker83 @ Thursday, Aug 22 2013, 23:49)

SW wasn't FTP?

No it wasn't.
IDK about now though.

I will never play monthly prescription games.
You buy the game and that should be it.

I bought the matrix online unaware there was a prescription.
I entered my code and got 30 day trial and then took it back able to play without the disc for 30 days.

Some poor kid bought his copy and then found his code had been entered already.
LMAO. Back then games didn't have security stickers and you could return an opened game if it didnt work on your PC.

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:47 AM

QUOTE (Chukkles @ Friday, Aug 23 2013, 11:33)
QUOTE (nightwalker83 @ Thursday, Aug 22 2013, 23:49)

SW wasn't FTP?

Some poor kid bought his copy and then found his code had been entered already.

That sucks! I am playing Star Trek Online at the moment! It is Free To Play although, you have the option to actually buy credits if you don't want to spend years of Free play just to get the really good stuff in game.

Remix
  • Remix

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:55 AM

QUOTE (Sakuya @ Friday, Aug 23 2013, 05:14)
While the subscription method is scary for your wallet, it's the method with the best chance for quality. Free-to-play soon morphs in to pay-to-win anyway. The two longest lasting and highest-quality MMORPGs (WoW and FFXI) are subs.

Don't even point to The Old Republic, the Star Wars franchise doesn't have a Skyrim-level hit in it to boost recognition. Even KOTOR only sold about as much as Morrowind. Plus, the Elder Scrolls fanbase is a gaming fanbase first and foremost, where Star Wars has multiple mediums (most notably: film and books).

I also hate to say this, but $15 is not that much. Adjusting for inflation, that's actually less than what WoW charged in 2004.

I normally don't reply to comments but your comment couldn't be more wrong.

I'm a pretty big fan of MMO's, and I can't think of one game where f2p turns into pay-to-win. I'd love to be wrong though, so please tell me otherwise. The most popular f2p MMO's out right now are in no way pay to win (GW2, SWTOR, Tera, LoL).

Star Wars is infinitely more popular and successful than the Elder Scrolls will ever be. To even compare the two is just ridiculous. Star Wars has an incredible pull based off the brand name alone. Not to mention the amount of games that use the Star Wars name. I know you're trying to validate the comparison by saying Elder Scrolls fans are primarily gamers whilst Star Wars fans may not be, but you've got to consider the fact that Elder Scrolls has never been multiplayer. Star Wars has had a long standing with multiplayer games (heck, even MMO's with Star Wars Galaxies). If it didn't work for SWTOR, the subscription model definitely won't work for casual single-player Skyrim fans.

I agree with $15 not being much, but unfortunately most people justify it as being overpriced and unnecessary. I tend to disagree, but there is still a firm belief that after buying a game the devs should let you have the game forever (even though players expect new content without paying for it...).

-
My two cents though; I'm really surprised there is so much attention regarding the game. Watching videos of it, it doesn't seem like the game cater towards the Skyrim fans nor will it appeal to MMO players. They've tried to bridge the line between the two, but I think it will ultimately be an fulfilling game at least within the first year of release. Combat looks stale and the game mechanics look overly simplified. It will sell well, but if they think thee subscription model will work they're kidding themselves. I bet they have a 6 month plan where they'll release a big expansion at the launch of free to play.

The world looks great though. I'm glad you're not forced into combat like a lot of MMO's.

Melchior
  • Melchior

come on and tell me twice

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Unknown

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:34 AM

I'm not sure why this game gets so much hate. It looks pretty f*cking great to me, the team behind this has put a lot of work in to translate the Elder Scrolls experience to an online world. 

I don't really get it though. Like, can I start a little gang with my friends and tackle dungeons, or do they have to be part of the same alliance as me?

Twang.
  • Twang.

No greater good, no just cause.

• The Connection

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:41 PM

I like the factions regarding what provinces are in which, even though some seem to make no sense, they did a pretty decent job justifying it, but I don't like that the races are exclusive to their own factions. Like being a Nord in the Daggerfall Covenant. It would would be cool if there was like an introductory phase where you're unaligned, then you do one of 3 quests (per faction territory) that gets you in to the alliance of your choice, regardless of race. Like if you rolled an Argonian, you'd do a quest over in EP turf where you clashed with the local forces and you got in with some Aldmeri Dominion spies who then smuggle you over to Alinor. Something like that. Then another one for Daggerfall Covenant, and of course one where you get along peachy with your Ebonheart bros and everything is as Talos intended.

UtricularEwe001
  • UtricularEwe001

I am a Pirate

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:01 PM Edited by UtricularEwe001, 11 December 2013 - 07:03 PM.

This game launches on April 4 on PC/Mac and in June For PS4/XB1.

I have read some early impression and everyone is saying that this game sucks (has a horrendous combat system). I honestly don't think this game is worth £40 +£10 per month.it has Microtransactions too. Bunch of greedy f*cks

ay5XqGX_460sa.gif

727gta
  • 727gta

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:05 PM

I was never a fan of TES series. I played several fun hours of Skyrim, before I abruptly quit the game as soon as I discovered you can only get ~80 skill points meaning you must choose a build wisely. I'm a jack of all trades guy - I can't commit to a specific playstyle. I like to switch things up, so I suddenly hates Skyrim. I still have no idea if TES: Online was going to have a similar restriction or not, but either way I was probably going to buy the game until now.

They need to wake the f*ck up - nobody is doing that sh*t anymore. GTAO is twice the MMORPG that TES:O is, yet its free for all.

I actually laughed at the last bit. GTA:O is in no way an MMORPG

Forzum
  • Forzum

Fossy

• Members

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:40 AM

Hopefully I will be in the PS4 beta, because I'm really not sure what to think of this. I love Elder Scrolls, but I'm not sure if I'm ok to pay 15/month for it, since I won't play it "that" much, and it looks kinda "meh..", I might get it if some of my friends get it. 

Rawra
  • Rawra

Daedric Prince of Madness

• Members

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:38 AM Edited by Rawra, 13 December 2013 - 07:38 AM.

For anyone who hasn't yet seen:

Input
  • Input

Pineapple

• Members

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:03 AM

It's not gonna last.

Just looking at gameplay, I mean it looks really plain. It's not doing anything mindblowing that hasn't been done before. Plus the payment thing is only making it worse since there's not much motivation to get the game..

I don't know, maybe thats just me but this just doesn't look like its going to survive.

• Los Santos Police Department likes this

JustOneMonth
  • JustOneMonth

Griefer? Better Call Saul!

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:08 AM

I was never a fan of TES series. I played several fun hours of Skyrim, before I abruptly quit the game as soon as I discovered you can only get ~80 skill points meaning you must choose a build wisely. I'm a jack of all trades guy - I can't commit to a specific playstyle. I like to switch things up, so I suddenly hates Skyrim. I still have no idea if TES: Online was going to have a similar restriction.

Online game? Restrictions? Hah.

Los Santos Police Department
  • Los Santos Police Department

#MYLSPD

• Members
  • United-States
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA V section - Reporting]

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:44 PM

Maybe if they removed the subscription, more people would get it. I don't want to pay £9 monthly for this! Not to mention that both the PS4 and XBone have online fees as well.

tubby custardd
  • tubby custardd

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:25 PM

Was gonna get this.

Until I found out I had to pay monthly for it. f*ck that

Audiophile
  • Audiophile

Soothe us with sweet lies...

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:51 AM

So it seems that I got an invite to a closed-beta this Fri-Sun. It'll be a stress test and there's an NDA so I can't share anything.

But was wondering if anyone else on here got an invite?

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:39 AM

So it seems that I got an invite to a closed-beta this Fri-Sun. It'll be a stress test and there's an NDA so I can't share anything.

But was wondering if anyone else on here got an invite?

I did. Second time, the first time was when the xbox one came out so didn't really play it then.

I have the code on listia if anyone wants to buy it for some credits :p

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

You need a Pearl necklace? Hit me up ;)

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:32 AM Edited by oysterbarron, 08 January 2014 - 02:55 PM.

Yeah i got one aswell. Can you download the game yet? How big is the main install as I want to download it in preparation for the weekend!

Edit: 21.6gb

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:15 PM

if someone has a code left. please PM me :p

everyone who signed up got one. I didnt sign up, soo....

FullMetal
  • FullMetal

Non-Retard

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:14 PM

I got invited... hope I can play :).

Kalvin
  • Kalvin

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:16 PM

Yeah i got one aswell. Can you download the game yet? How big is the main install as I want to download it in preparation for the weekend!

Edit: 21.6gb

Me too :p

You can install it, as I did - but it won't let you play until it's the 10th through 12th (you can go to the main menu, but there's the whole "log in" bit, and it says when you attempt to log in "Requesting log in..." and then "you don't have access to this realm" because the server isn't even up yet)

badboy_zay
  • badboy_zay

:)

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:40 AM Edited by badboy_zay, 09 January 2014 - 04:41 AM.

strange, I got invited too! hoooray :pirate:

I will probably play as a Dunmer !

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:38 AM

From what I've played of the BETA, it's turning into a hell of a game -- very immersive. But, I'm not gonna pay $60 + $15/m to play a single game. On top of that, they still have an item mall, which is pretty insulting. It'll go free to play within two years, which is a complete shame because games that do this usually have really unbalanced payment management. They should have taken the route GW2 took, which was brilliant.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users