Photo

The Elder Scrolls Online

171 replies to this topic
Moonshield
  • Moonshield

amplifier worship

• Mongolia

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:15 PM

QUOTE (Fireman @ Saturday, May 5 2012, 11:12)
no offense to all you people who think Skyrim is a real RPG, it really isn't.

By the genre's very definition it is, but you're more than welcome to continue to act like an elitist.

meta187
  • meta187

Challenge Convention, Question Authority.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:23 PM Edited by meta187, 06 May 2012 - 12:12 AM.

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Saturday, May 5 2012, 14:24)
fullish

Foolish indeed.

As I said on the last page this in no way will overshadow the success they've had with their FPS games. If it ends up being passingly successful, fine but the console market is way too lucrative to be ignored. FPS TES and Fallout games will continue to be developed as long as there's a buttload of money to be made from them. I don't foresee a prequel (ugh) spin off changing that in any given way.

And by the broadest and most stringent standards Skyrim does indeed qualify as an RPG. Is it turn based? No. Do you have to roll a 20 sided dice to see if your Holy Avenger +3 will make it's saving throw? No. Do you have to consult with your DM to see if your alignment allows you to wipe your own ass properly? No.

But it is stat based and allows you to PLAY the ROLE of a hero in a fantasy GAME setting despite the action taking place in real time. So we'll have none of that, thank you very much.

Moth
  • Moth

I am mad scientist, sunuvabich!

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE (Fireman @ Saturday, May 5 2012, 11:12)
no offense to all you people who think Skyrim is a real RPG, it really isn't.

Please, tell me what a real RPG is. And if you say that it's suppose to be turn based, you are an idiot.

jelly
  • jelly

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:09 PM

QUOTE (JOSEPH X @ Saturday, May 5 2012, 15:06)
QUOTE (Moonshield @ Saturday, May 5 2012, 13:48)
QUOTE (DP Man @ Saturday, May 5 2012, 08:14)
This is a genuine concern, if Bethesda can't make a non-buggy game in general how can they manage to make an mmo? Also I think we may actually have a WoW killer for once Oo

Because Bethesda isn't making it.

Might seem upside down, but the teaser seemed to show Bethesda Softworks as the publisher and Zenimax Online Studios as the developer. It's a bit like Rockstar being the publisher of Team Bondi's LA Noire with the parent company being out of the picture.

I'm a bit worried that this might kill off TES as we know it.

Pete Hines confirmed that this game does not affect Bethesda Game Studios' development schedule whatsoever.

Praise the lord.

MrcTOtheJ
  • MrcTOtheJ

Cleaning the Trash since '94

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:23 PM

QUOTE (DeeperRed @ Saturday, May 5 2012, 06:33)
A part of me wants to think Bethesda would not just let anything use the Elder Scrolls name, they would at least do some quality control. But this just looks so f*cking generic, when the hell did Elder Scrolls every be about f*cking hotbar actions. Honestly the Skyrim online mod looks to have a much better idea (Though its currently far from completion) then this and thats made by some fans.

There trying to drag in the WoW crowd and The Elder Scrolls crowd at the same time, which just isn't going to happen. There completely different play-styles, and just mushing the games together (WoW gameplay with Elder Scrolls mythology and aestetics) is not going to win either because people are happy with WoW and a lot of people playing Elder Scrolls don't fancy the WoW gameplay.

Yeah that's what has me concerned, why can't they just make it play like TES with other people, instead of dragging in the WoW or Rift or what the hell ever crowed into it? The game will most likely do better if it was just TES with other people.

Like Skyrim online's going to do, but I'll believe that when I see it, because there was supposed to be an Oblivion online mod, that hardly took of, and a Morrowind online mod, that didn't really take off. But yeah it looks like a better idea than this.

I'm still going to try it out, and if I like it I'll play it, if not I'm going to stick my fingers in my ears, scream "LALALALALALALA" and pretend it never happened.

TheTrikstar
  • TheTrikstar

Skank!

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:46 PM

For anyone who want's to know, They are using the SWTOR engine. I personally can't wait for this game to come out. And would be fine to pay monthly cool.gif

GTASAIDEAMASTER
  • GTASAIDEAMASTER

Made in china.

• Members

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:19 PM

We need more infoooo. I need to know this is not a WoW copy,so if it is,I'll not get my hopes up.

The-King
  • The-King

[Rekt Intensifies]

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:58 PM

QUOTE (GTASAIDEAMASTER @ Saturday, May 12 2012, 10:19)
We need more infoooo. I need to know this is not a WoW copy,so if it is,I'll not get my hopes up.

It's a WoW clone, if you've actually read anything on it at all you'd have seen the developer mention several times their intended use of the same systems as WoW albeit hyper simplified.

Still pretty sure the only MMO aside from WoW that can keep my attention would be Eve if I could manage to get into it. No clue why people keep trying to make 'WoW killers' using oversimplified mechanics based on the precedent Blizzard's set, WoW does it the best by an enormous margin. Just look at TOR's rapidly diminishing subscriber numbers for a good example of why trying to be a 'WoW killer' while copying game mechanics directly is an atrocious idea.

GTASAIDEAMASTER
  • GTASAIDEAMASTER

Made in china.

• Members

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:49 PM

Still,I need to see some pics or vids which show actual gameplay,to see how the gameplay goes.

Narcis_speed6
  • Narcis_speed6

The Saint

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE (GTASAIDEAMASTER @ Saturday, May 12 2012, 19:49)
Still,I need to see some pics or vids which show actual gameplay,to see how the gameplay goes.

Here you can find a couple of screenshots.

GTASAIDEAMASTER
  • GTASAIDEAMASTER

Made in china.

• Members

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:34 AM

Thank you.

I had seen some of those pics already though.I saw two who are in a swampy-like environment which reminds me of Black Marsh.

baptiste
  • baptiste

Docking request accepted

• Zaibatsu

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:57 AM Edited by baptiste, 13 May 2012 - 03:14 AM.

QUOTE (Fireman @ Saturday, May 5 2012, 16:12)
QUOTE (illegal_luggage @ Saturday, May 5 2012, 15:36)
QUOTE (Dragonjack @ Saturday, May 5 2012, 13:41)
Oh so its not for the PS3 & Xbox 360 just for the pc? well... GOOD FOR YOU!

Too many limits on the console. They will probably want to do a beta as well which is a lot easier on the PC. No interference from Microsoft or Sony.

Well as this game looks like a WoW clone, I look forward to collecting 100 wolf pelts.

That seems more like a follow-up to the original The Elder Scrolls questline, no offense to all you people who think Skyrim is a real RPG, it really isn't.

I would like to call you out on your bullsh*t.

Since you are the one with the allegations I will let you develop first.

Go.

As for the actual topic, I dont know, I wish they would stop with MMOs for a while. I like the TES lore and sh*t but this isnt about that.

I recently played SWOTOR and was thourougly horrified at it. Just after I resubbed a month of WoW, and without touching on any real basic gameplay, everything was just so much better. Things worked, tools were optimized, things were thought out, nothing was out of place or kinda random, when I was looking for something it wasnt a hassle to find it.

This might be because I've played WoW before, but I'm not so sure, looking back at Swotor and comparing it to WoW I thought about the development costs of having to do all those little things and adapting them to your UI and your game and its f*cking crazy. Especially in addition to having a solid basic game in regards to gameplay/balance/content.

Its not like WoW had all these little things day 1, or even after one expansion, or two, or three. They constantly update and introduce things to the game with these little things, its a dream to hope to catch up with a fresh game at this point. When people have played with all these things and switch to SWOTOR to try it and instantly notice the distinct lack of stuff, it instantly kills the game.

While of course it didnt help that SWOTOR was dinstinctively lacking content and a proper gameplay, thats not what I'm trying to convey.

Making a WoW clone that can even stand up to WoW at this point would require so much development time that its ridiculous. Be Eve Online or get the f*ck out.

Its also important to note that I'm taking SWOTOR because its the latest victim, but this has happened to almost every MMO with the same phenomenon in the last few years. The only one I hadnt really played was Age of Conan, but looking at its fate, I'm guessing it made the same mistakes.

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Catch a ride!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:45 PM

Watching the latest footage from E3 2012 the graphics and style look pretty good although that's just part of the game. I hope the combat is fun and that this game is a one time only purchase otherwise they can shove a subscription up their ass.

The dungeon scene really reminds me of Oblivion smile.gif
http://uk.ign.com/vi...ne-demo-e3-2012
Yes IGN I know but I couldn't find this video on YouTube

GTASAIDEAMASTER
  • GTASAIDEAMASTER

Made in china.

• Members

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:23 PM

I like the graphics.Not too cartoony,not too exaggerated(for a MMO).
This video has me finally deciding to give it a chance.Mainly because I want to explore the world of elder scrolls,and I have friends who will play this definitely,besides,the idea of world interactions makes me more comfortable.I am wondering something.Will they recreate High Hrothgar?It definitely is old.If it's not there I will be mad,I want to kill me some greybeards.Meh,probably throwing people off the peak of the Throat of the World is enough.The first other place I'm going to explore besides skyrim(which I'm familiar with,so I'm probably going for nord) is totally Hammerfell/Daggerfall.Both have been seen but I love deserts for some reason,besides,seeing them in a 2d manner is totally different.I'd also like to see what will they do with the forests at Valenwood,and to Elsweyr and Summerset Isles,which I think are both kind of tropical.

The orcs look like corrupted elves again though,shame.

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

You need a Pearl necklace? Hit me up ;)

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

not sure if anyone has seen this yet?

baptiste
  • baptiste

Docking request accepted

• Zaibatsu

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:13 PM

From a game design perspective it actually looks pretty legit.

The "mega-server" should be a standard, anything similar to what Eve does is perfect. I suspect it will probably have some sort of instanced version of the game where linked people will be together, so like you'll be with your friends and the friends of your friends, probably localized as well. You'll end up with pockets of friend networks that will be in the same instance but not everybody will be in the same server. I think thats how they'll do it anyway.

I'm abit confused about the class system but it could be really good, they dont seem to be forcing you into an archetype but it seems you can choose a base class and then modify it how you want, the mage that can use a 2 hander really struck home with me because it means we can start seeing some really RP and gameplay heavy variation in classes and thats great.

I'm not just a warrior, I'm a warrior that shoots electric balls out of my hands and plate armor, well I'm also a warrior but maybe I'm some sort of palladin and have healing and anti-magic wards. Its really really cool if well excecuted.

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

=VP=

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

I haven't seen this video, cant say its like WoW since i've never played it, the combat looks fine no First Person though...
Dunno if i will play this, Might ruin The Elder Scrolls experience for me.

Rawra
  • Rawra

Daedric Prince of Madness

• Members

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:10 PM Edited by Rawra, 08 November 2012 - 07:13 PM.

I must say, despite being against the idea of a TES MMO, I was very pleasantly surprised with that gameplay video released. The combat doesn't look too different from Skyrim's 3rd person combat and it's nice too see real-time attacking and blocking and spell casting (at least I think it was). My only problem is whether or not it will do the 'enemies stand completely still' thing - I want the flame atronachs to be skating across the terrain like in Skyrim.

The large PVP areas looked very impressive, although I haven't played an MMO besides SWG so I don't know if it's common to be that big.

I also hope they haven't just hidden the UI because it clutters up the screen like most MMOs I have seen.

Edit -- oh and being able to be vampires or werewolves was a surprise

Remix
  • Remix

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:47 AM

After putting a few hundred hours into Guild Wars 2, I really hope the developers of The Elder Scrolls Online try and do things differently from the popular MMO's.

I didn't like Guild Wars 2 for several reasons:
- Waypoint system made traveling the world pointless after completing an area
- Level scaling felt cheap and hardly constituted 'endgame content'
- Quests, whilst varied, weren't interesting story wise or gameplay wise
- Rare items were easily obtainable and weren't worth collecting
- No mounts (largely due to the waypoint system and no mention of it in the lore)
- Lack of an endgame

Guild Wars 2 did so many things right, yet so many things wrong. They tried to move away from the grind aspect of MMO's, but if anything, I felt the whole game was one big grind with no apparent reward for effort.

We all know the route SWTOR took and it ultimately failed, with F2P being implemented this month.
The Secret World had way too many payment options which was perceived as completely unnecessary.

Obviously this is my opinion, but hopefully Elder Scrolls can address the problems with MMO's and make it an MMO actually worth playing.

GTASAIDEAMASTER
  • GTASAIDEAMASTER

Made in china.

• Members

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:27 PM

According to Elder Scrolls wikia,there are mounts and 1st person view.Not sure if it is to be believed or not.Still,I'm liking the game design so far,and since the Dark Brotherhood exists,the Khajiit Assassin can return smile.gif

wasddafool
  • wasddafool

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:52 PM

I really like this game but the only reason i didn't buy Diablo III and probably this too is because i simply won't pay a monthly fees, Its a game its not electricity to keep us alive, COD4 had this i didn't buy it, GFWL at first had this with Gears Of War i didn't buy it, Now Bethesda simply needs to understand that this whole Paying monthly Fee bullsh*t is oldschool and it isn't a modernity.

Potato Boggle
  • Potato Boggle

Formerly ozzman1

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:26 PM Edited by ozzman1, 29 December 2012 - 11:29 PM.

I wasn't too sure about this game when I first heard about it, but after seeing that video I think it looks pretty cool.

Is it going to have a real time combat system? They said you can use the mouse to swing your sword and block and such, but I thought most MMORPG's had a dumb hotkey system where you press a button and then do a series of attacks.(I might be completely wrong on that)

And I just hope the PVP can have as many people on screen as they did in the castle siege at the end of that video. They showed the crowd by the catapults and then the people lining the wall, but when they cut to a shot of the army by the catapults again there's nobody standing on the castle wall confused.gif

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:16 AM

Thats it. Wont get this game. It will have a monthly fee like WoW.
about 12,99 Euro monthly...

They have to be insane to have success with such a model... especially in these times where F2P becomes more and more popular

<Yang3
  • <Yang3

☆☆☆☆☆

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:23 AM

QUOTE (iNero @ Wednesday, Aug 21 2013, 18:16)

They have to be insane to have success with such a model... especially in these times where F2P becomes more and more popular

In a poor country like mine, F2P is VERY popular.
The only popular PAID game in the Philippines is GTA SA. You could see a lot of internet cafe and even arcade booth players play it.

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:24 AM

QUOTE (DODI3OG @ Wednesday, Aug 21 2013, 12:23)
QUOTE (iNero @ Wednesday, Aug 21 2013, 18:16)

In a poor country like mine, F2P is VERY popular.
The only popular PAID game in the Philippines is GTA SA. You could see a lot of internet cafe and even arcade booth players play it.

this isnt F2P. its a monthly fee. 13 Eusos per month plus you have to pay the game itself. just like WoW

<Yang3
  • <Yang3

☆☆☆☆☆

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:26 AM Edited by DODI3OG, 21 August 2013 - 11:56 AM.

QUOTE (iNero @ Wednesday, Aug 21 2013, 18:24)
this isnt F2P. its a monthly fee. 13 Eusos per month plus you have to pay the game itself. just like WoW

Yeah, I know, right?
It looks like I'll be sticking with Skyrim for a long, looooooooong time.
I don't even like how the engine renders stuff. It's too...MMO-ish.

badboy_zay
  • badboy_zay

:)

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:04 PM

QUOTE (iNero @ Wednesday, Aug 21 2013, 17:24)
its a monthly fee. 13 Eusos per month plus you have to pay the game itself. just like WoW

sweet jebus! I was expected it to be something like Guild War 2 pay once play forever.
oh well...

UtricularEwe001
  • UtricularEwe001

I am a Pirate

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:27 PM

Aaaaaannnnnddddd I'm no longer even considering buying this game, Oh well, I guess I'll just wait for Elder Scrolls VI.

This Industry needs to die die.gif

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

=VP=

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:33 PM

This game was a failure from the beginning, a cheap shot for earning money and taking advantage of a popular title.

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

You need a Pearl necklace? Hit me up ;)

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:43 PM

Looks like they forgot it's 2013 no one does paytoplay mmo anymore! Well not if they know what's good for them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users