The Elder Scrolls Online

171 replies to this topic
tubbs51
  • tubbs51

Superbowl 48 Champs! GO SEAHAWKS!!

• Angels of Death MC
  • None

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:35 AM

f*ck i saw this on twitter a few hours ago in IGN's twitter feed. Just figured it was just rumors.

f*ck YEAH!!!

Cant wait. I'm sure Bethesda has some sort of hand in the game seeing as Zenimax is Bethesda's Parent studio.

Moth
  • Moth

Sweet Roll Thief

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:49 AM

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Friday, May 4 2012, 04:31)
They're after WoW fanbase.

And they will fail to get it. Every time an MMO that is like WoW releases it gets some good numbers then drops down. People figure that why start from scratch, when they can continue playing WoW with the characters they grown attached to and the friends they have met. SWTOR is kinda facing this issue, it's not getting numbers that they wanted. Frankly at this point, only one thing can kill WoW, WoW 2. And even then, it still might be around.

jelly
  • jelly

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:51 AM

http://www.gamefreak...-images-leaked/

Facepalm.

I read the entire PDF - unambitious, WoW-clone tripe. Either a halfassed attempt at a TES MMO, or a fully intended effort to only go after WoW customers instead of actually attempting to capture the TES player base.

Most of Tamriel will be in it, and I saw an ordinator in one of the screenshots, so I guess I will be playing the trial.. just in order to explore the towns that should rightfully have been revealed in a proper TES game instead of this gimmick.

Here's hoping this thing won't do what WoW did to Warcraft, and kill all future development of any other games within the TES universe.

Narcis_speed6
  • Narcis_speed6

The Saint

• The Connection

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:43 PM

Trailer is here.

which is showing nothing.

The Killa
  • The Killa

Diet Water Please

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE (jelly @ Friday, May 4 2012, 03:51)
Here's hoping this thing won't do what WoW did to Warcraft, and kill all future development of any other games within the TES universe.

I doubt it, Zenimax put this game 1000 years in the past for a reason, to prevent any plot contradictions and give themselves a little freedom with creativity.

What pissed me off about SWTOR is that it all but wrote off a KOTOR 3, because it was being developed by Bioware themselves and they said that SWTOR will be "KOTOR 3, 4, 5 and beyond". Wankers.

From those screenshots, and I hate to judge it so early, it looks so disappointing.

oysterbarron
  • oysterbarron

You need a Pearl necklace? Hit me up ;)

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:47 PM

where do i input my credit card details?

badboy_zay
  • badboy_zay

:)

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:50 PM

damn! those screenshots are sure a big disappoint, there is nothing "elder scroll-ish" in there.
I have high hope for this one, but now it looks like we just have another WoW wannabe suicidal.gif

Inky
  • Inky

Pineapple.

• The Connection

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:32 PM

This is probably going to go the route of Rift and look alright but end up playing the same as WoW and have no unique features.

Edit: Well, Rift had the rifts but I got bored of those pretty quick.

MrcTOtheJ
  • MrcTOtheJ

Cleaning the Trash since '94

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Friday, May 4 2012, 01:31)
I don't understand why they can't make a game like normal TES only with other people around all the time? Why does every MMO need a hotkey bar with abilities? Why can't we just have Skyrim combat? Why does every MMO need to be in third perspective? I don't think it's impossible to make a game like Skyrim into an MMO. They just don't want to do it. They're after WoW fanbase.

Yeah I know, they're trying to attract MMO fans, which is what odds are will be the downfall of this. I'm still intrested to see how it turns out, but I have some reservations. Not only that but the fact that parts of the map are locked off gets me too, yeah I get it you can extend the life of the game...for makeing use pay for things that are allready there.

I wouldn't have an issue if they just released an Akavir expansion later on.

Still I'm going to try it and if it sucks I'll pretend it dosen't exist, and if it's good I'll play the hell out of it.

meta187
  • meta187

Challenge Convention, Question Authority.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:59 PM

QUOTE (jelly @ Friday, May 4 2012, 09:51)

Yea, I've had a beef with that for ages now. I'm a big fan of the original WC RTS games and was very dissapointed that WoW didn't even bother to take certain aspects from them such as gathering resources, building structures or giving squad commands, just from a 3rd person perspective - which is how I initially viewed it would play out before its release and it ended up being nothing like that.

So many of Blizzard's resources go into feeding the fat kid that other beloved franchises have fallen by the wayside. How long did it take them to make follow ups to Starcraft and Diablo again? sarcasm.gif

I doubt this thing will be such a raging success that fans won't demand more content for traditional FPS games. Again, to speak to what GTAvanja said. They could have made a traditional TES FPS game that would have worked in this fashion had they limited multiplayer engagements to instanced dungeons making it more of a "co-op" with a set amount of players per playthrough rather than a traditional everyone is everywhere, scrounging about for the same sh*t type MMO but they didn't so it had to be scaled back to this generic format.

Narcis_speed6
  • Narcis_speed6

The Saint

• The Connection

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

Take your free dragon thingy.

user posted imageuser posted image
CODE
http://i.imgur.com/sTs8W.gif

CODE
http://i.imgur.com/BRTi3.gif

GTASAIDEAMASTER
  • GTASAIDEAMASTER

Made in china.

• Members

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:45 PM Edited by GTASAIDEAMASTER, 04 May 2012 - 10:04 PM.

@Mr.c to the J

''By The Nine. ''

Stop right there,criminal scum!That post violates the white-gold concordat.Change it to ''By the Eight'' or face the consequences!

If this is a copy of WoW,i'm going to be disappointed at bethesda for letting this studio make that crap.I'll give it a try.The graphics don't look too bad for an MMO,but the armors look too plain,and so does some parts of the world.I'll be a khajiit,I want to see Elsweyr.

My wishlist:
Accurate towns
Provinces which are accurate(For the new elder scrollers:Hammerfell,Black Marsh,Skyrim,Cyrodiil,Elsweyr,Morrowind,Valenwood,High Rock and Summerset Island)
Daedric,Dwarven,Glass and other known armors
Spears
Medium armor
TES kind-of-feeling instead of some WoW copy.

I think that's all,for now.
EDIT:
http://www.gameinfor...lls-online.aspx

''Storm Atronachs'' - They're looking good,almost like the skyrim ones.

''Behind the battle is a series of daedric ruins. These great towers were built long ago by an ancient race of people, but they’re not the only landmarks players will discover throughout their journey. As players travel through Skyrim, Morrowind, Cyrodiil, and the rest of Tamriel they will encounter various dwarven ruins, ancient nordic tombs, decayed dwemer buildings, and many other ancient locales, some of which players may have discovered in previous Elder Scrolls games.''

Hmm,daedric ruins.If I find one of those on Skyrim,Cyrodiil and Morrowind,it's going to be a plot fail because I don't know if there's any on those provinces.
I can't wait to go explore dwarven ruins with people.Hoping those ruins aren't just like the dungeons on the typical MMOs

d0mm2k8
  • d0mm2k8

ad infinitum

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:17 PM

QUOTE (GTASAIDEAMASTER @ Friday, May 4 2012, 22:45)
Hmm,daedric ruins.If I find one of those on Skyrim,Cyrodiil and Morrowind,it's going to be a plot fail because I don't know if there's any on those provinces.
I can't wait to go explore dwarven ruins with people.Hoping those ruins aren't just like the dungeons on the typical MMOs

You know, if this game is based exactly 1000 years before Skyrim, it's based in the year 531, Second Era. At this time Cyrodiil was a tropical jungle province and wasn't changed to the temperate climate we know of until the year 896 of the same era, 365 years later.
This is just to show that Tamriel can change a lot since the time of TES:O, so don't be surprised if a lot of things are different. It is 1000 years spanning two eras after all.

GTASAIDEAMASTER
  • GTASAIDEAMASTER

Made in china.

• Members

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:28 PM Edited by GTASAIDEAMASTER, 05 May 2012 - 12:31 PM.

That's irrevelant.If those ruins spanned all over the years,then the daedric ones would span even more,since the daedra are way more powerful than the dwarves.

Although,I hope Elsweyr looks like they've described it.Deserts and tropical jungles.And I wonder if Skyrim is still some kind of north pole to Nirn.

EDIT:

May be proved false:
''The landscape of Cyrodiil is similar to The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, contradicting established lore somewhat.''
It's on the wikia.I'd like to know some source though,so it's unconfirmed right now.I'm hoping for a more interesting Cyrodiil.

d0mm2k8
  • d0mm2k8

ad infinitum

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:36 PM

And I wonder if Skyrim is still some kind of north pole to Nirn.
There's the colder continent of Atmora to the north of Skyrim, so I doubt that.
Also, if they f*ck the lore and make Cyrodiil the generic medieval fantasy land they had in Oblivion (as opposed to the tropical jungle) I'll be pissed. I WANT MY LORE ACCURACY DAMNIT.

DP Man
  • DP Man

GH3††O ▲SS

• Members

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:14 PM

This is a genuine concern, if Bethesda can't make a non-buggy game in general how can they manage to make an mmo? Also I think we may actually have a WoW killer for once Oo

Moth
  • Moth

Sweet Roll Thief

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE (DP Man @ Saturday, May 5 2012, 08:14)
Also I think we may actually have a WoW killer for once Oo

No, we don't. SWTOR, RIFT and countless others were suppose to be WoW killers, WoW still stands. Hell SWTOR and RIFT have lost subs.

GTASAIDEAMASTER
  • GTASAIDEAMASTER

Made in china.

• Members

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:38 PM

I know about Atmora.I meant about the fact that skyrim is probably the coldest province in Tamriel,and I'm wondering if it will have a climatic change.It would make exploring skyrim more interesting,since i've fully explored the icy counterpart.

Dragonjack
  • Dragonjack

Moving on to a new account.

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:41 PM

Oh so its not for the PS3 & Xbox 360 just for the pc? well... GOOD FOR YOU!

Moth
  • Moth

Sweet Roll Thief

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:41 PM

QUOTE (GTASAIDEAMASTER @ Saturday, May 5 2012, 08:38)
I know about Atmora.I meant about the fact that skyrim is probably the coldest province in Tamriel,and I'm wondering if it will have a climatic change.It would make exploring skyrim more interesting,since i've fully explored the icy counterpart.

Skyrim has always been cold, it was cold when the first humans ever stepped on Tamriel.

The only province that changed, was Cyrodiil.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

amplifier worship

• Mongolia

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:48 PM

This is a genuine concern, if Bethesda can't make a non-buggy game in general how can they manage to make an mmo? Also I think we may actually have a WoW killer for once Oo

Because Bethesda isn't making it.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• The Yardies

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:06 PM

QUOTE (Moonshield @ Saturday, May 5 2012, 13:48)

Because Bethesda isn't making it.

Might seem upside down, but the teaser seemed to show Bethesda Softworks as the publisher and Zenimax Online Studios as the developer. It's a bit like Rockstar being the publisher of Team Bondi's LA Noire with the parent company being out of the picture.

I'm a bit worried that this might kill off TES as we know it.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE (JOSEPH X @ Saturday, May 5 2012, 16:06)
I'm a bit worried that this might kill off TES as we know it.

It won't. They purposely set it 1000 years in the past so it won't interfere with their future TES plans. Skyrim sold a lot better than they hoped. It would be fullish not to continue making single player TES games.

DeeperRed
  • DeeperRed

Damn it feels good to be gangsta

• Zaibatsu

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:33 PM Edited by DeeperRed, 05 May 2012 - 02:36 PM.

A part of me wants to think Bethesda would not just let anything use the Elder Scrolls name, they would at least do some quality control. But this just looks so f*cking generic, when the hell did Elder Scrolls every be about f*cking hotbar actions. Honestly the Skyrim online mod looks to have a much better idea (Though its currently far from completion) then this and thats made by some fans.

There trying to drag in the WoW crowd and The Elder Scrolls crowd at the same time, which just isn't going to happen. There completely different play-styles, and just mushing the games together (WoW gameplay with Elder Scrolls mythology and aestetics) is not going to win either because people are happy with WoW and a lot of people playing Elder Scrolls don't fancy the WoW gameplay.

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Catch a ride!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE (Dragonjack @ Saturday, May 5 2012, 13:41)

Too many limits on the console. They will probably want to do a beta as well which is a lot easier on the PC. No interference from Microsoft or Sony.

Well as this game looks like a WoW clone, I look forward to collecting 100 wolf pelts.

The Killa
  • The Killa

Diet Water Please

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:51 PM

I have no idea why people begin to think an MMO will be on a console. It just won't work.

... you're not missing much anyway.

Moth
  • Moth

Sweet Roll Thief

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE (The Killa @ Saturday, May 5 2012, 10:51)
I have no idea why people begin to think an MMO will be on a console. It just won't work.

... you're not missing much anyway.

There have been a few MMOs on consoles, though they never were as big as the ones on PC. Hell, isn't FF14 suppose to come out on the PS3? Though that game still has a load of f*cking problems.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:12 PM

QUOTE (illegal_luggage @ Saturday, May 5 2012, 15:36)
QUOTE (Dragonjack @ Saturday, May 5 2012, 13:41)

Too many limits on the console. They will probably want to do a beta as well which is a lot easier on the PC. No interference from Microsoft or Sony.

Well as this game looks like a WoW clone, I look forward to collecting 100 wolf pelts.

That seems more like a follow-up to the original The Elder Scrolls questline, no offense to all you people who think Skyrim is a real RPG, it really isn't.

Secura
  • Secura

Varúđ

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:33 PM

I don't think I can imagine playing an Elder scrolls game like an MMO; I mean come on, there's absolutely no way in hell I'm going to sit in front of a computer screen, click on hundreds of respawning enemies and slowly grind my mage. Elder Scrolls games are meant to be huge single player experiences not boring grind fests where you're forced into playing a specific way, I bet that if we're given a quest that we don't like we can't walk up to the quest giver and slice his head off.

That's certainly something that MMO's fail at doing, giving the player any sort of freedom. I know it doesn't sound like much but just being able to whack at an enemies legs instead of their torso or block arrows with my shield is so much more satisfying that watching a scripted fight take place with the higher level character having about as much chance at losing the battle as world war five being a week away...

Oh and one more thing. IT'S NOT EVEN BEING DEVELOPED BY BETHESDA !!!!!!. This thing doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell of being anywhere near as good as Morrowind or Skyrim* and even if it could somehow pull off what seems hypothetically impossible I still wouldn't buy it as I see The Elder Scrolls series as being a solo experience not something to share with the whole planet.

I suppose I could say that playing Skyrim with one or two of your best friends would be awesome but with hundreds of other people who are also supposedly the Dovakiin or Nerevarine of legend then it just takes the immersion out the game entirely for me. Also I think that the username Charles The Plant will almost certainly be taken which will make me extremely disappointed.

* I don't consider Oblivion to be on par with Morrowind or Skyrim but I still find it to be a great game.

d0mm2k8
  • d0mm2k8

ad infinitum

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE (Fireman @ Saturday, May 5 2012, 17:12)
no offense to all you people who think Skyrim is a real RPG, it really isn't.

It exists, and it's a role-playing game. Hence it's a real RPG. May not be the same style or as complicated as those oldskool games you always go on about but still an RPG.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users