Photo

Progressive Rock

24 replies to this topic
NikoGTA4
  • NikoGTA4

Ringolo

• Members

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:49 PM

Progressive Rock is definitly one of my favourite kind of music. What I like about it is that the music is so complex. You sometimes wonder, "How did they think about that melody!? It's so original" I also like the fact that to listen that kind of music, you shouldn't do anything else like driving your car or going on the computer. With that kind of music, you must concentrate on it, and if you don't like it at first, you must hear it again to get the song.

Right now I am really digging many of the Genesis albums, especially "And Then There Were Three" (1978) and also ''Duke'' (1980). Those two albums were the lasts before they went into a more pop direction. The keyboardist, Tony Banks is the guy that creates the melodies. I really like his compositions with Genesis. Mike Rutherford and Phil Collins were also good composers, but they were more simple. After these two albums, there were only some songs of their albums that were progressive rock.
Genesis was also great with Peter Gabriel, but my personal preference is the Phil Collins era from 1976.

Also Pink Floyd of course is a classic. I just bought the Division Bell album from 1993 but I haven't got the chance to listen to it yet, I hope it's great. I'm more familiar with their 70's period.

Another one I never got the chance to listen to is War Babies by Hall & Oates, 1974.
user posted image

Also, you guys ever heard about Talk Talk? They had songs in GTA Vice City and Vice City Stories, infact they started with synthpop in the early 80's but they ended with Art Rock, Post Rock, Progressive Rock in the late 80's til their breakup in 1992.

Here is a song from their 1988 album Spirit of Eden, a very acclaimed album.

If you guys like Progressive Rock, tell me what you like to listen, since I haven't found a specific thread about this kind of music.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:19 PM

Yep, Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd....recently Dream Theater have all been poster bearers for the movement

And not least of which Canada's RUSH, who are playing here in the next month, well, just about that, I need tickets!!!

gta_king
  • gta_king

JCM

• Members

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:51 PM

I'm more of a Prog Rock/Metal kinda guy although don't stay primarily to that area.

If you like Genesis I'd heavily advise you get Foxtrot, I'd say Suppers Ready is probably one of my favourite Genesis songs of all time. With Genesis though I can enjoy both era's, I grew up with the We Can't Dance album and Genesis have some great pop songs.

Slamman has mentioned my favourite band already though in Dream Theater. Absolutely adore them, I can understand why people don't like them, a lot get put off my Labries voice or think they're too showy or too similar or whatever now from album to album but they are the band that gets the most rotation on my playlists. The new album A Dramatic Turn Of Events is brilliant.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:05 PM

I kinda prefer the earlier Thrashier side to Dream Theater, but their prog rock influences they wear on their sleeves! Nice to see

One of my, if not THEE favorited tune by King Crimson.... Where's Trip Mills, he should love this genre

If not blues of course,

gta_king
  • gta_king

JCM

• Members

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:56 PM

I have to say from the few KC albums I've heard my favourite track has to be Starless from Red, such an amazing piece of music.

NikoGTA4
  • NikoGTA4

Ringolo

• Members

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:12 AM Edited by NikoGTA4, 25 May 2012 - 04:15 AM.

Yeah, definitly King Crimson, with their album "In The Court of The Crimson King" from 1970 I think.

There's also Supertramp which I like, especially the 1973 album "Crime of The Century" with the fabulous song "School" or also "Hide In Your Shell".

Elton John's 1973 album "Goodbye yellow Brick Road" has some progressive songs in it, especially "Funeral For A Friend" which I think Dream Theatre made a cover or something, I never heard it though.

Oh and also, you gotta hear the early Bee Gees tracks, which were very Beatlesque and psychedelic (no falsetto here tounge.gif ), especially the 1969 album "Odessa". Fantastic four sided LP, some awesome tracks in it.
user posted image

gta_king
  • gta_king

JCM

• Members

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:23 AM

QUOTE (NikoGTA4 @ Friday, May 25 2012, 05:12)
Elton John's 1973 album "Goodbye yellow Brick Road" has some progressive songs in it, especially "Funeral For A Friend" which I think Dream Theatre made a cover or something, I never heard it though.

On the Change Of Seasons EP they did a live cover of Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding, along with a Zeppelin Medley, a Classic Medley and a cover of Perfect Strangers.

Liberty City Rogues
  • Liberty City Rogues

Póg Mo Thón

• Members

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:18 PM

One of my favourite albums of all time is Close to the Edge by Yes. I must get more of their albums. It's really incredible.

user posted image

gta_king
  • gta_king

JCM

• Members

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE (Liberty City Rogues @ Friday, May 25 2012, 15:18)
One of my favourite albums of all time is Close to the Edge by Yes. I must get more of their albums. It's really incredible.

user posted image

Check out Relayer and Going For The One, great albums smile.gif

Vercetti27
  • Vercetti27

Staunton Faction

• Members

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:48 PM

King Crimson, nothing else comes close inlove.gif

NikoGTA4
  • NikoGTA4

Ringolo

• Members

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:05 AM

QUOTE (Liberty City Rogues @ Friday, May 25 2012, 09:18)

user posted image

Wow, that's really good.
I knew Yes did prog rock at first but I only knew their 80's pop tracks.

I"m really digging it, I think I'm gonna buy it!

TheJonesy
  • TheJonesy

Carry on.

• Members

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:31 AM

This is probably the closest I've come to this genre of music: progressive metal.

Warlord.
  • Warlord.

:O

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:35 PM

I'm looking for progressive rock bands which have a similar sound to Comfortably Numb (the track by Floyd). Basically a relaxed, ethereal kinda sound.

Any suggestions?

gta_king
  • gta_king

JCM

• Members

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE (Warlord. @ Wednesday, Jun 27 2012, 14:35)
I'm looking for progressive rock bands which have a similar sound to Comfortably Numb (the track by Floyd). Basically a relaxed, ethereal kinda sound.

Any suggestions?

Try out Anathema's latest album titles Weather Systems, it's quite an atmospheric ethereal sounding album. Quite beautiful stuff.

I'd possibly give a nod to Steven Wilson's Grace For Drowning, although I'd say that's more King Crimson than it is Floyd but it's got quite a bit of atmosphere to it.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:42 PM Edited by Slamman, 28 June 2012 - 11:47 PM.

I don't think King Crimson get enough credit, but Pink Floyd, Yes, and Genesis are without doubt, cornerstones of this musical genre

The Elton John track Love Lies Bleeding, though it goes beyond normal FM radio time allotments, remember the success of this music had to do with AM radio in the 1970s, luckily I was privy to KQRS in Minnesota, who have been playing rock music my entire life in the Cities

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:13 AM

I'm not really sure what really constitutes something as progressive rock. Seems like too general of a term to use when talking about music, and music has been ever progressing for 100s of years now.

How about a shout out for Queen and them being progressive at the time?

I'd even call Jethro Tull a bit progressive for their time.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:58 AM

Kinda moving away from the progressive origins, but Roger Waters appears in this video with the late Peter Boyle in fine comic form... Everyone Loves Raymond, right??

gta_king
  • gta_king

JCM

• Members

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:03 AM

QUOTE (trip @ Friday, Jun 29 2012, 02:13)
I'm not really sure what really constitutes something as progressive rock. Seems like too general of a term to use when talking about music, and music has been ever progressing for 100s of years now.

It's a really horrible genre to define because as you say music has been progressing for years yet not all rock music is 'Progressive Rock.' I guess 'Prog' really refers to bands that were Jazz or Classically influenced in their compositions as opposed to Blues influenced, bands that would experiment with different instruments, lengthier compositions or more fantastical lyrics. There is also the technical side of things, bands which would experiment with more exotic scales and time signatures.

There is sort of a point where being a 'Progressive Rock' band refers more to a style rather than the ideology of music 'Progressing' which make's it, and although I love it, it make's it a load of bollocks to define.

As for your point, Tull and that album are generally discussed in prog circles, Queen while not really being called Prog as such did have their moments of contributing to it back in the 70s, then again it's Queen, they contributed to everything.

Digital Murders
  • Digital Murders

&?

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:47 PM Edited by Digital Murders, 29 June 2012 - 04:49 PM.

King Crimson, Queen, Rush, Genesis, those are great, but what about the current generation of progressive rock? My top three would have to be Muse, Coheed and Cambria and Silversun Pickups.

GAH! How could I forget about Steven Wilson?!

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:30 PM

Porcupine Tree?!? SURE!

gta_king
  • gta_king

JCM

• Members

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:53 AM

QUOTE (Digital Murders @ Friday, Jun 29 2012, 17:47)
King Crimson, Queen, Rush, Genesis, those are great, but what about the current generation of progressive rock? My top three would have to be Muse, Coheed and Cambria and Silversun Pickups.

Not sure if they cound as current generation of prog rock but favourite band is Dream Theater.

I did like Muse however I couldn't really get into their latest album except for a few songs. Coheed are great, really like them.

A new band which look like they have a great future are Headspace, they feature Damien Wilson on Vocals and Adam Wakeman on the Keyboards. Their album I Am Anonymous is one of my favourites of this year.

I'm also looking forward to the second album from The Anabasis, their debut was very good.

Again, not sure if current because he started releasing his work in about 1995 but I adore Arjen Lucassons work from Ayreon through to Star One and his latest solo work.

Digital Murders
  • Digital Murders

&?

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:38 PM

Porcupine Tree is another good one, although their last two albums seemed pretty dull. I feel the same way with Dream Theater.

Headspace is awesome, I'll have to check out more of their stuff. I only listened to "Invasion".

3 is another good band. Their last album "The ghost you gave to me" is killer.

Also, if you dig that old school rock sound, you could probably include something from the last Opeth record on your playlist. Although in my opinion it's their weakest record, but is by no means bad.

gta_king
  • gta_king

JCM

• Members

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:27 PM

I couldn't really get into Opeths last album, there were some good things there but I dunno, I think I just missed the heavier side of them. I can appreciate it but just couldn't get into it. I'll check out that 3 album though, I haven't heard of them in a good while.

NikoGTA4
  • NikoGTA4

Ringolo

• Members

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:14 PM

I'm listening to some Tears For Fears right now. Some of their albums like The Seeds Of Love (1989) or Elemental (1993) have a lot of Progressive influences.

But from Songs From The Big Chair (1985) their best work is "The Working Hour", that's a great prog-rock song.

Also "Sowing The Seeds of Love" from their 1989 album which is a Beatles pastiche.

Hell, these guys were inspired by Peter Gabriel's solo work when they formed.

specialspartan
  • specialspartan

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 December 2013 - 08:01 PM

if you're looking for atmosphere, you should check out Ayreon, especially the album "Universal Migrator Pt. 1: The Dream Sequencer". some of my personal faves are ayreon, dream theater, seventh wonder, flaming row, andromeda, headspace, pagan's mind, the faceless, BTBAM, rush, yes, etc.

close to the edge is a great listen, as well as jethro tull's thick as a brick, or rush's a farewell to kings or hemispheres. also, if you like dream theater a lot, you might enjoy ayreon's "the human equation" on which james contributes vocals for the main character, or "the theory of everything" which features jordan rudess on the track "progressive waves". pretty much every ayreon album is a showcase of some of the best talents in the prog world.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users