• Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:01 PM Edited by Mokrie Dela, 30 April 2012 - 10:11 PM.

A little idea i just had. Lets see if it works/is welcome. Also another topic where i'm trying to give something back so to speak.

Basicly, as writers we'll all appreciate the language we speak, and will want to expand that.

The idea here is for people to post their word of the day, the more obscure the better. If this takes off i'll try to keep said word in a table in this post. Also any discussion over the words, their meaning or use can be had here.

To post, use the following format:
CODE

[tr]
[th]<INSERT YOUR WORD HERE>[/th]
[td]<INSERT THE DEFINITION HERE>[/td]
[td]<GIVE AN EXAMPLE OF IT's USE HERE>[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]

Click "QUOTE" on the post prior to yours (assuming the previous post added a word), and simply copy everything between the two
CODE
[tableb]
tags. Clear the quote box (to avoid quote trains and keep the topic clean), paste the copied table code and add the above lines to the end of it (but inside the table tags).
I hope that's clear - the idea is to keep the topic self sustaining. That way no one runs the topic, except for ourselves.

If you see a cool word, add it in here - I'm not putting a limit to how many words anyone's allowed to post, so go nuts! The more obscure the better!

I'll start with:

Myriadof a vast quantity, a great number. Many. The Myriadstars in the night sky.
Intransigent Unwilling or refusing to change one's views or to agree about something.

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• The Connection
  • European-Union

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:11 PM

Intransigent Unwilling or refusing to change one's views or to agree about something.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

I'm the writer.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [Expression]

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:26 PM Edited by Ziggy455, 30 April 2012 - 09:28 PM.

IndubitablyToo apparent to doubt, undoubtful.David's plan to raid the bank was indubitably smart.

MasticationChewing, to chew.She sat perched on the bench, a glazed look over her face as she continued to masticate the pink gum that flew around her mouth.
monocle.gif

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:06 PM

I've quoted and edited the posts in the way i tried to explain in the first post edit. This way, by simply taking the previous post and adding your word on the end, this topic can be self-sustaining, and won't suffer if I'm not active for any reason.

Myriadof a vast quantity, a great number. Many.The Myriadstars in the night sky.
IndubitablyToo apparent to doubt, undoubtful.David's plan to raid the bank was indubitably smart.
MasticationChewing, to chew.She sat perched on the bench, a glazed look over her face as she continued to masticate the pink gum that flew around her mouth.

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:33 PM Edited by AceRay, 30 April 2012 - 10:39 PM.

Myriadof a vast quantity, a great number. Many.The Myriadstars in the night sky.
HexakosioihexekontahexaphobiaFear of the number 666Michael looked at the door number and screamed, because she lived at house number 666 and he had hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:38 PM

BOOM! you got the hang of my idea ace smile.gif
QUOTE (AceRay @ Monday, Apr 30 2012, 22:33)
hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia.

I think i saw that on QI ( i love that show).

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:58 PM

Why not just post your word, and then people can just scan through the topic and see one new word per post? Sure, there might be one or two duplicates down the road, but it's much less complicated and it'll be much better looking than a huge quote train of tables.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:10 PM

QUOTE (Eminence @ Monday, Apr 30 2012, 22:58)
Why not just post your word, and then people can just scan through the topic and see one new word per post? Sure, there might be one or two duplicates down the road, but it's much less complicated and it'll be much better looking than a huge quote train of tables.

The thought i had was that the most recent post would contain it all - and no one would have to go back looking for a specific word.

But to counter my own point, the speed that the WD moves, your idea might be better.

I'll let everyone else decide. I'm sure you can see what i was trying to do though, can you not? The idea was there and, i admit for a forum as busy as say V, it'd be vital, but in this more intimite section, i think perhaps you are right.

Someone checks this topic, sees the word, goes "ah" and then remembers it. I got a bit excited i think. Been a strange kind of night - been writing for the past 4 hours, and it was that energetic writing that feels so good, and i'm on a writer's high tounge.gif

I'll let others decide tounge.gif

TinTinn
  • TinTinn

Эquation

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:16 AM Edited by TinTinn, 02 May 2012 - 10:19 AM.

AnatadaephobiaAnatadaephobia is the fear that somehow, somewhere, a duck is watching you.My neighbours daughter never feeds the ducks outside her house, she has Anatadaephobia

AceRay
  • AceRay

• Members

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:24 AM

SerendipityThe occurrence and development of events by chance in a happy or beneficial wayThrough pure serendipity , I found the bookshop just round the corner.

Zugzwang
  • Zugzwang

Snitch

• Members

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:32 AM Edited by Zugzwang, 02 July 2013 - 06:47 AM.

[tr]
ExsanguinateTo drain of blood; make bloodless 2. To bleed to deathAfter being stabbed, Ward began to exsanguinate

AceRay
  • AceRay

• Members

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:37 AM Edited by AceRay, 02 July 2013 - 06:41 AM.

ExsanguinateTo drain of blood; make bloodless 2. To bleed to deathAfter being stabbed, Ward began to exsanguinate
You spelt it tableeb. biggrin.gif

Zugzwang
  • Zugzwang

Snitch

• Members

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:39 AM

Awesome, thank you.

AceRay
  • AceRay

• Members

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:42 AM

QUOTE (Zugzwang @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 19:39)
Awesome, thank you.

Also the extra
CODE
[tr][/tr]
tags need to be taken out if we're not going to quote all the previous words.

Not really sure why this thread never caught on, let's keep it running hmm?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users