27 replies to this topic
nic_23
  • nic_23

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Best New Gang 2012 - High Rollers

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:12 PM

hey I was wondering if would be a good idea to add a reputation feature because there are a lot of useful posts that are helpful and a lot of good members on here that contribute and put themselves out to help others and it would be good if there was some sort of reputation system so you have the ability to credit them and then it shows up on there profile by there avatar or something along those lines. It would also be good because you could then "rep down" people who start conflicts, act immature and who post non-helpful content.

I don't know whether or not this has been suggested before but I thought I would put it forward.

Narcis_speed6
  • Narcis_speed6

The Saint

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Talented [Expression] 2012
    Most Helpful [Expression] 2012
    Most Helpful 2011
    Most Talented [Expression] 2011
    Most Helpful [Expression] 2011
    Best Member in a Group 2011
    Most Helpful [GTA Series] 2011
    Most Respected 2010
    Most Helpful 2010
    Most Talented [Visual Arts] 2010
    Most Helpful [Visual Arts] 2010
    Most Helpful [GTA Series] 2010

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:15 PM

That would be another reason to create another account, just so you can add some reputation to the original account.

nic_23
  • nic_23

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

QUOTE (Narcis_speed6 @ Monday, Apr 30 2012, 17:15)
That would be another reason to create another account, just so you can add some reputation to the original account.

would there be any way to give the reputation ability to a member that has maybe a certain amount of posts or has been here for so long? say a member who has at least 2 or 300 posts or has been here for at least 1 year?

i have seen it work on hacker forums which is a large forum and you have the ability to rep a certain post. but the feature is only given to you if you pay to have a higher membership.

Girish
  • Girish

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

Something like this is probably being worked out for V2. I don't see this being implemented into the current software though. A lot of thought needs to be given to features like these that have the potential to be abused.

Dr. John
  • Dr. John

Women and Wine

• Members
  • India

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

I am sure Impact has his own life. He can't come back online, edit his post just because he wants to add this rule: Don't abuse the Reputation System and blah..blah...

I joined one forums with this feature and that forum gave up soon. Same will happen here. Everyone will come running to this Section and post that "Remove the Reputation System", etc. Many people put this in their respect like: (Only an example)

QUOTE (Respect List)
Most Respected = GTA3-Freak2001 (100%) [Here, the respect is shown in numbers]
Most Disrespected = Slamman tounge.gif (80%) [Here, the disrespect is shown in numbers] Don't get offended Slam

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:15 PM

QUOTE (Girish @ Monday, Apr 30 2012, 16:27)
Something like this is probably being worked out for V2. I don't see this being implemented into the current software though. A lot of thought needs to be given to features like these that have the potential to be abused.

any idea when "V2" will be upon us?

Narcis_speed6
  • Narcis_speed6

The Saint

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Talented [Expression] 2012
    Most Helpful [Expression] 2012
    Most Helpful 2011
    Most Talented [Expression] 2011
    Most Helpful [Expression] 2011
    Best Member in a Group 2011
    Most Helpful [GTA Series] 2011
    Most Respected 2010
    Most Helpful 2010
    Most Talented [Visual Arts] 2010
    Most Helpful [Visual Arts] 2010
    Most Helpful [GTA Series] 2010

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:22 PM

QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Monday, Apr 30 2012, 23:15)

Somewhere around 2019, still needs some polishing.

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada
  • Best Forum Ledby 2011
    Best Forum Ledby 2010
    GTANet Contribution Award
    GTANet Helpfulness Award

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:49 PM

QUOTE (Narcis_speed6 @ Monday, Apr 30 2012, 20:22)
QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Monday, Apr 30 2012, 23:15)

Somewhere around 2019, still needs some polishing.

You got the 1 and the 9 mixed up. Estimated release isn't until 2091.

Dr. John
  • Dr. John

Women and Wine

• Members
  • India

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:14 AM

QUOTE (Ryan @ Tuesday, May 1 2012, 05:19)
Estimated release isn't until 2091.

You are joking, right? suicidal.gif

Maybe around 2014 or something. Anyways, let's stop this OT or we will get shot by Mods.

As for the OP. I already said Respect List is enough. We don't need more bandwitch.

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada
  • Best Forum Ledby 2011
    Best Forum Ledby 2010
    GTANet Helpfulness Award

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:20 AM

QUOTE (Dr. John13 @ Tuesday, May 1 2012, 00:14)
QUOTE (Ryan @ Tuesday, May 1 2012, 05:19)
Estimated release isn't until 2091.

You are joking, right? suicidal.gif

No, I'm totally serious. Tank has been periodically showing staff screenshot of his progress on V2. Last one was 2 months ago and the program he was using to compile the code showed the estimated completion date as 2091. I would show you the screenshot, but it's forbidden to show things from the staff forums.

Dr. John
  • Dr. John

Women and Wine

• Members
  • India

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:28 AM

Will you all make any announcement relating to this?

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada
  • Best Forum Ledby 2011
    Best Forum Ledby 2010
    GTANet Helpfulness Award

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:33 AM

Announcements regarding V2 will be made when the time is right.

nic_23
  • nic_23

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:02 AM

so is it a good idea or a crap idea and will it be taken further?

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:41 PM

I like the idea of this, and have always said the same when similiar topics have arisen over the years. The only problem with this feature is how open to abuse it is, or how many members will be caught asking people to vote for their topics and whatnot...karma-whoring, if you like. The idea is a good one though if it was to be used correctly, and we could even see a medal being awarded to a member when they reach a certain amount of reputation...

A J
  • A J

Damned Brotherhood [DAMN]

• Members
  • Wales
  • Best Event 2012 [Gang Wars]

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:39 PM

An option to just "like" or "dislike" a post would be cool, added to that you could include options like "informative" or other stuff that could add to an inbuilt "reputation" feature.

crackhead91090
  • crackhead91090

I don't want a f*cking title

• Members

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:46 PM

QUOTE (ajbns87 @ Tuesday, May 1 2012, 22:39)
An option to just "like" or "dislike" a post would be cool, added to that you could include options like "informative" or other stuff that could add to an inbuilt "reputation" feature.

Concur.

Sometimes a simple like on a post would suffice rather than a quote with a thumbs up. Credibility system if you will, kinda like youtube.

also lol @ryan seems like he made a rockstar reference.

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE (ajbns87 @ Tuesday, May 1 2012, 15:39)

See, i'm in 2 minds about this feature becoming implemented on the forums. One side of me is screaming that it will just be abused, and will result in members trying to get as many 'likes' for their posts as possible, such as asking gang members to go and hit like on a certain post, or what have you. Then the other side is saying that something like this coul be a welcome eature amongst the forums, and would encourage people to try and help other members as much as possible. The 'link' to like a post could be put next to the 'report post' link, and we'd be sent to a page with a form to fill out as to why we like the post, such as that it was informative or helped the OP out, etc...The fact that you'd have to fill a form out to like a post would discourage a lot of the abuse the feature could see, as the staff would see the reasons.

This could lead to a new medal being brought in on the forum. Say a member gets a certain amount of 'liked' posts, then this user will receive a medal. Have a bronze, silver, gold and platinum medal as the amount of likes rises.

I see a lot of members on here who help people out, but due to it maybe not being a massive contribution to the forums, just maybe helping someone out a number of times, this member goes unnoticed.

Yes, it would result in award-whoring, but it would be for the right reasons.

As said though, I don't see it being implemented in the current software we have, but it would be good to see this forum have it added later.

Mister Kay
  • Mister Kay

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:30 PM

Check out the rep system at weed-forums.
Yup, a bit over done but seems working fine. It shows the names of members who liked a post or gave rep points along with a reason typed by the giver.

Came here while searching about V2. sly.gif

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE (Butters 2011 @ Tuesday, Jun 12 2012, 14:14)
QUOTE (ajbns87 @ Tuesday, May 1 2012, 15:39)

See, i'm in 2 minds about this feature becoming implemented on the forums. One side of me is screaming that it will just be abused, and will result in members trying to get as many 'likes' for their posts as possible, such as asking gang members to go and hit like on a certain post, or what have you. Then the other side is saying that something like this coul be a welcome eature amongst the forums, and would encourage people to try and help other members as much as possible. The 'link' to like a post could be put next to the 'report post' link, and we'd be sent to a page with a form to fill out as to why we like the post, such as that it was informative or helped the OP out, etc...The fact that you'd have to fill a form out to like a post would discourage a lot of the abuse the feature could see, as the staff would see the reasons.

This could lead to a new medal being brought in on the forum. Say a member gets a certain amount of 'liked' posts, then this user will receive a medal. Have a bronze, silver, gold and platinum medal as the amount of likes rises.

I see a lot of members on here who help people out, but due to it maybe not being a massive contribution to the forums, just maybe helping someone out a number of times, this member goes unnoticed.

Yes, it would result in award-whoring, but it would be for the right reasons.

As said though, I don't see it being implemented in the current software we have, but it would be good to see this forum have it added later.

Don't you realise that is just giving staff way more work than they need?
They'll be bombarded with 10,000,000 requests per day to have to sit and read through just for some pointless reputation system?

We already know people who are 'respected' around here as you will either respect them yourselves, and so would others.

Yeah, you like a member, let's give staff 1,000+ hours of work just to tell everybody else that you like this member.

Tank
  • Tank

Gangsta

• None

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:33 PM

A reputation system will be part of our new forum software. No ETA, but we're actively working on it.

Mainland Marauder
  • Mainland Marauder

Oldschooled

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:42 AM

I'm all for it as long as there's not the option to vote down someone's reputation. It's not that I have a problem with the principle of allowing people to flag garbage as garbage, but in practice you get people who don't like each other doing it to antagonize and people get butthurt and it becomes a hassle from a moderation standpoint. Things don't go so wrong with just being able to give a thumbs-up to good posts. People tend to dig that sort of thing and if it encourages better quality posts, then all the better.

We'll inevitably have reputation whores just like their karma/commendation predecessors, but you take the bad with the good.

AndyGanteks
  • AndyGanteks

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica
  • Contribution Award [Sports]
    Most Skilled Player 2013
    Best Event 2013 "GTAF Gang League 2013"
    Most Valuable Player 2012
    Best Contributor [Multiplayer] 2012
    Most Valuable Player 2011
    Winner of World Cup 2010 Prediction League
    Best Event 2010 "GTAF Gang League 2010"
    Most Valuable Player 2010
    Best Team Player 2010

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:10 AM

I don't think reputation would be a needed feature. I saw some forums have a +/- system where people can vote for each post + or -, or some like a post system, or "thanks" button in posts.
It doesn't get abused often, but all of those forums are smaller ones, while this has thousands of members, and as MM said, there will be many people wanting to abuse it to make those who they hate look bad, etcetra. I'm personally not for this feature, but i'm just saying my opinion.

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

Let's Bounce

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE (Mainland Marauder @ Wednesday, Jul 25 2012, 08:42)
I'm all for it as long as there's not the option to vote down someone's reputation. It's not that I have a problem with the principle of allowing people to flag garbage as garbage, but in practice you get people who don't like each other doing it to antagonize and people get butthurt and it becomes a hassle from a moderation standpoint. Things don't go so wrong with just being able to give a thumbs-up to good posts. People tend to dig that sort of thing and if it encourages better quality posts, then all the better.

We'll inevitably have reputation whores just like their karma/commendation predecessors, but you take the bad with the good.

But then you forget the 'friends' of some members who might just upvote posts so the member looks cool around the forums and what not, a reputation system has worked bad, in my opinion I think it should be left as it is, without one.

nic_23
  • nic_23

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE (Tank @ Tuesday, Jul 24 2012, 20:33)
A reputation system will be part of our new forum software. No ETA, but we're actively working on it.

well this is a good sign, i am sure you guys will do a great job of it like always smile.gif

Mister Kay
  • Mister Kay

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:47 PM

To avoid circle jerking, the names of members can be listed in the person's profile so that everyone can see who gave the rep points and there can be a small area (like the medal details pop up) in which the member would have mentioned the reason why he gave positive or negative points.

Also there can be a per day/per week limit for a member for distributing rep points. This will make the points valuable and not easy to part with.

Auto rep points can be earned with each passing months for being active. Bonus points for a year, perhaps. Rep points can also be combined with current medal system.

Basically I'm describing the weed-forums' rep system but they give too much priority to post counts which can only suit small forums and not this one.

Thanks for the confirmation, tank.

Mainland Marauder
  • Mainland Marauder

Oldschooled

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:30 AM

There's another forum I'm familiar with that has one where you cannot give another reputation point/vote to a person after the first one, until you have done the same with a set number of other users. I think 20. So at least the circle has to be a little bit bigger, so to speak, than the same group of four or five people. People will vote up the people they like, that's natural.

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:12 AM

QUOTE (deepthroatgta6 @ Wednesday, Jul 25 2012, 22:17)
To avoid circle jerking,

lol.gif

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THIS ONE GOES OUT TO ALL THE RAVERS IN THE NATION.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:51 PM

That's a good idea to be honest!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users