Graduation Gift Question.

19 replies to this topic
Sgt. Foley
  • Sgt. Foley

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:02 AM

Hey guys.

My graduation is coming up and I'm wondering why my parents are asking which thing I would rather have.

The choices are:
PS Vita
iPad 3
Laptop

I'm a gamer, and I love apple products. But I'm really a handheld guy.
What would you guys pick? I would really like the iPad.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:04 AM

QUOTE (Sgt. Foley @ Monday, Apr 30 2012, 02:02)
I would really like the iPad.

there, you have your answer.

Sgt. Foley
  • Sgt. Foley

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:09 AM

QUOTE (Outcast @ Monday, Apr 30 2012, 02:04)
QUOTE (Sgt. Foley @ Monday, Apr 30 2012, 02:02)
I would really like the iPad.

there, you have your answer.

I know I really want the iPad, but I want to know the pro's and con's of each and every thing. Maybe some knowledge about everything too. I have never touched anything like an iPad, just my little iPod Touch. My father owns a laptop, I never used it. But if that is all you have to say, then thanks for your hard work and contribution.

vertical limit
  • vertical limit

When in doubt don't pull out.

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:23 AM

Tbh we don't the specs/model of the laptop it could be a 400 dollar one or 1500 one.

Sgt. Foley
  • Sgt. Foley

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:25 AM

QUOTE (vertical limit @ Monday, Apr 30 2012, 02:23)
Tbh we don't the specs/model of the laptop it could be a 400 dollar one or 1500 one.

I'll find some info and then edit this post.

Here is the link:
http://deals.bestbuy...ive dark umber

YankeesPwnMets
  • YankeesPwnMets

More Betterer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:33 AM Edited by YankeesPwnMets, 30 April 2012 - 02:37 AM.

Graduating from what? High School? College? Middle School? Elementary? lol

A. Congratulations
B. I'd get a nice, sleek slim laptop to do work with. Trust me, having a laptop on to show you your notes when you write out a report or do homework or something on your desktop makes everything easier.... A PS Vita and iPad 3 are just going to be distractions IMHO... at least a laptop can help you out with work

If I were you, I'd spend it on a nice Ultrabook/Macbook, or if you want to play games then getting a gaming laptop

Ultrabook:
http://www.dell.com/...c=us&l=en&s=dhs
PC version of a Macbook Pro
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834158219

Sgt. Foley
  • Sgt. Foley

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:37 AM

QUOTE (YankeesPwnMets @ Monday, Apr 30 2012, 02:33)
Graduating from what? High School? College? Middle School? Elementary? lol

A. Congratulations
B. I'd get a nice, sleek slim laptop to do work with. Trust me, having a laptop on to show you your notes when you write out a report or do homework or something on your desktop makes everything easier....

Lmao, Middle school, and personally, i dont know how much this laptop weighs. So I'm not sure if this thing is really heavy or really light. But I'm too tired to even read so I'll check back tomorrow if anything is new!

YankeesPwnMets
  • YankeesPwnMets

More Betterer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:38 AM

If you want to get a laptop, I suggest you wait a few months (say June) and see what Ivy Bridge laptops have to offer

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:29 AM

Laptops come and go. If you get a laptop, chances are you'll find a better one you could have got a few months (or even weeks) down the line. The iPad 3 has some longevity but you know how often they churn out products. You should get the one you'll get most enjoyment out of. Personally, I'd go with the iPad but I'm not much of a gamer. Look into what the Vita has to offer and you might find yourself making your mind up.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:33 PM

I have no idea about all of the ends and outs of the PS Vita but I do know this; it's a handheld gaming console and it's pretty much all it's good for.
With the iPad and Laptop you can play games as be productive as well. The iPad is lighter and easier to carry around than a laptop. For most part you never have to wait for the iPad to start up, that is if you don't count completely shutting it down which only have to do on rare occasions, compared to a laptop. But the laptop does have things that make it better than the iPad; larger storage space, USB, CD/DVD drive, more programs and depending on how much they are willing to spend it can be more powerful too.

It's really up to you and how you want to use each one. I have a desktop that I use for most of my PC gaming as well as a few other things. I bought a laptop some years ago for those times when I'm in bed or stuck in bed (health reasons, rather not go into it) and I can do most of the things I can do on my desktop but for gaming which I didn't want it for that anyway. Then I got an iPad 2 last year and I find myself using that more than my laptop, in fact my laptop's av was out of date for about a month once because I never used it thanks to the iPad. I use my iPad for mostly iOS games and web surfing (I've used it a number of times to answer questions here on GTAF), some times watching videos and reading ebooks. I've had a few times where I wish I had gotten the 3G version instead of the Wifi only, but then I don't hardly go any where (can't really) so I don't miss the 3G that much, if I really wanted to I could either pay for the service on my iPhone (that turns the iPhone into a hotspot) or get a prepaid MiFi.

Sgt. Foley
  • Sgt. Foley

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:39 PM

QUOTE (Wolf68k @ Monday, Apr 30 2012, 16:33)
I have no idea about all of the ends and outs of the PS Vita but I do know this; it's a handheld gaming console and it's pretty much all it's good for.
With the iPad and Laptop you can play games as be productive as well. The iPad is lighter and easier to carry around than a laptop. For most part you never have to wait for the iPad to start up, that is if you don't count completely shutting it down which only have to do on rare occasions, compared to a laptop. But the laptop does have things that make it better than the iPad; larger storage space, USB, CD/DVD drive, more programs and depending on how much they are willing to spend it can be more powerful too.

It's really up to you and how you want to use each one. I have a desktop that I use for most of my PC gaming as well as a few other things. I bought a laptop some years ago for those times when I'm in bed or stuck in bed (health reasons, rather not go into it) and I can do most of the things I can do on my desktop but for gaming which I didn't want it for that anyway. Then I got an iPad 2 last year and I find myself using that more than my laptop, in fact my laptop's av was out of date for about a month once because I never used it thanks to the iPad. I use my iPad for mostly iOS games and web surfing (I've used it a number of times to answer questions here on GTAF), some times watching videos and reading ebooks. I've had a few times where I wish I had gotten the 3G version instead of the Wifi only, but then I don't hardly go any where (can't really) so I don't miss the 3G that much, if I really wanted to I could either pay for the service on my iPhone (that turns the iPhone into a hotspot) or get a prepaid MiFi.

After reading your post Wolf, I think I have made my choice to buy the iPad. Thanks for the advice guys.

Cursed
  • Cursed

Big Homie

• Zaibatsu

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:15 AM

QUOTE (Sgt. Foley @ Monday, Apr 30 2012, 20:39)
After reading your post Wolf, I think I have made my choice to buy the iPad. Thanks for the advice guys.

I'd say that's the best choice as well. It's pretty much a middle ground between the PS Vita and laptop. A large selection of games but it can still be used practically to surf the web and even if you so wished type up reports.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE (Sgt. Foley @ Monday, Apr 30 2012, 14:39)

I'm sorry tounge.gif

Sgt. Foley
  • Sgt. Foley

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:57 AM

QUOTE (Wolf68k @ Tuesday, May 1 2012, 16:17)
QUOTE (Sgt. Foley @ Monday, Apr 30 2012, 14:39)

I'm sorry tounge.gif

Sorry for what? I meant that in a good way !

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:20 PM

I know. I was making a joke, hence the tounge.gif at the end.

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:54 PM

Not sure if it's an option but if you're not deadset on Apple/iPad you could consider a ASUS Transformer Prime. That way you get the form of a tablet with the benefit of easily being able to use it for notes and such (obviously not to the extent of a full fledged laptop but more than an iPad would allow).

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:40 PM

Well, if you are just going to use it for gaming I would choose the ipad. However, if you choose the laptop you could use it for gaming as well as whatever you do down the line (example: more study, gamng, etc).

les
  • les

Kith the batman.

• The Precinct

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:18 PM

Your parents are getting you a large gift for graduating middle school? I didn't even know that you could graduate from middle school. Lucky bastard.

Sgt. Foley
  • Sgt. Foley

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:33 PM

QUOTE (les @ Thursday, May 3 2012, 14:18)
Your parents are getting you a large gift for graduating middle school? I didn't even know that you could graduate from middle school. Lucky bastard.

It's called graduating middle school and going to high school?

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:06 AM

I still have the gift my parent gave me when I graduated from middle school. It's a white teddy with graduation cap, holding a balloon saying the year of graduation. smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users