BIZZARE situation

13 replies to this topic
YankeesPwnMets
  • YankeesPwnMets

More Betterer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

This afternoon, my younger brother called me and told me that some chat window on his laptop opened up and someone asked him to make him "sushi" and all of the sudden, his webcam turned on. I told him to immediately do a hard shutdown and to bring the computer over to me.

I got the computer, and checked it out myself, first putting a piece of duct tape over the webcam to protect my privacy. Windows started up, then the chat window popped up again, asking for "sushi" and saying "damn keeds dont know anything about computers". I tried to find trace the process tree in Task Manager, but he closed the window. Close Task Manager, he starts the chat back up. I tried to capture a pic to show you guys, but in paint, it refused to paste. He then said "go ahead, try to capture it again." Recognizing that he is remotely controlling the PC and might have access to private info, I immediately did a hard reboot.

I did not dare restart, fearing that he would have another opportunity to steal information. I put in my copy of the Windows 7 Professional in an attempt to do a full reformat, but when I changed BIOS settings to start up to CD, IT STARTED UP TO WINDOWS! This truely perplexed me and I was starting to wonder whether this man might have someone injected a BIOS virus code. Doing a second hard shutdown, open the DVD bay the the computer literally ate the disk.. the disk was in some bizarre way, STUCK inside of the computer. I managed to pull it out but the disk was scratched badly in the process, rendering it unusable.

I'm creating a USB install drive right now, but does anyone know what freak of nature this is? I've personally never experienced something bizarre like this...

just FYI, my younger brother is a complete computer illiterate... I'm the only one who works in IT in my family, and everyone else is pretty much the average user who only knows how to start Firefox and nothing else. My younger bro only uses his PC for web browsing, work, and Minecraft in his free time. He says my explanation that someone hacked him was impossible because he didn't download anything... which made me facepalm....

Anybody have an explanation to this? This malware has certainly baffled me, but then again I've never been hacked before.

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

The boatman stays with the boat.

• Members

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:26 PM

Try booting it up while not connected to the internet.
I'm going to go ahead and guess that someone isn't sitting by their PC 24/7 waiting for your brother to start his up. Chances are, it's just a program that does the same thing over and over. Hiding itself whenever task manager is run, and tracking keystrokes to make seemingly human replies to what you're doing. That's just my guess with what you've said so far.

As for the BIOS and CD, it seems as though you put the CD in crooked, not all the way in the tray. This would prevent the BIOS from reading it, and make it boot to windows. It would also explain why the drive was stuck, and why the disc was scratched.

Put a spare CD in the drive to see if it still works. That way you can test it without risking another Windows disc just in case it's the drive that's f*cked up.

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:07 PM

You can use Windows snipping tool or FRAPS. In Fraps, enable monitor aero desktop and then you will be able to take snapshot of your desktop.
Try to boot the Windows disc from the selected boot up devices instead of the bios boot order.

ikt
  • ikt

*poof*

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:47 AM

Do the lazy c*nt method.

Photo or video the screen.

vertical limit
  • vertical limit

When in doubt don't pull out.

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:55 AM

Use a phone or a camera if it doesn't work, run a full computer scan with your anti virus and as liek oh em jeez stated, try booting it with no connection.

YankeesPwnMets
  • YankeesPwnMets

More Betterer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:25 AM

Booted up to Windows, no internet, all is normal.
Booted up to Windows, with internet and the webcam and chat comes back on. I've been going nuts trying to capture this thing but it seems as if the hacker knows my every move. It pops up and closes at random times...

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:00 PM

I think leik is right about the way the disc was put into the drive. I have a habit now of when I put the disc in the tray to to kind of wiggle it around lightly once to make sure it doesn't drop down, or really to make sure that it does drop down. It's one of those times I wish desktop DVD drives were more like the laptop drives that have a tray, because those you don't just put the disc in the drive you "snap" it to the spindle that will be spinning it so you know it's in there. I'm not a fan of slot loading drives, but that's just me, yet it usually is a good way to make sure it's going in. Yet I've seen those screw up too, I've got a Wii disc that's hit or miss now because of that.

While it's not connected to the internet, run an anti-virus and spyware scan. For a manual scan as well. Do it in SafeMode to make it that much hard for the virus to detect if the someone is looking for it.
I really wish I could link this but I can't. FalconFour, kinda of like BartPE but on steroids including some pirated software.

Also to the reinstall that you were going to, instead of overwriting what was there I would have blown it out first with DBAN or KillDisk or UBCD which has KillDisk and I think DBAN on it. That way you destroy anything in a hidden partition as well.

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

I know you've been complaining, but you weren't ready.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:09 PM

Hacking a computer and remote controlling it isn't that easy, AFAIK. It has to be some kind of virus that was directly injected. Boot with no connection, do a full scan in safe-mode if needed and use MalwareBytes aswell. If it doesn't cure the problem, then don't format, as suggested, WIPE the hard drive.

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE (Spider-Vice @ Tuesday, May 1 2012, 03:39)
Hacking a computer and remote controlling it isn't that easy, AFAIK. It has to be some kind of virus that was directly injected.

Although, you would be surprised at how many tools there are available to allow novices hack a computer nowadays.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:39 AM

Webcam chatting between users on the WWW is not proof of a virus or keylogger, I wouldn't be wholly alarmed by that, but see if similar events are encountered via ASK or Google is good, if there's a known scam related to "Sushi" but keep in mind, you can often open the door to such malware types, trojans, worms, passing them along without knowing, so it's good to do complete scans on your system offline, and perhaps online as well.
I've tried getting Skype working with my webcam, which has been not as easy as I assumed, but it's possible even someone sharing the app could try and message you

blazeGTAS
  • blazeGTAS

Playa

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:38 PM

You could use a Linux live USB and format the drive from there. If I have to fix someone's PC that's riddled with viruses I put their drive into my Linux desktop, back up anything important, wipe the drive and reinstall Windows.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:52 PM

You can get Windows onto a USB stick as well, we went into that recently

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Boards Of Canada

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:52 AM

Sorry, I can't contribute to this topic in a helpful manner but I just want to say it's really freaky. Imagine you were baked and the guy on the webcam was dressed up like some serial killer dude. That would freak you the f*ck out, lol.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:55 PM

Another thing just in passing is that anyone else with access to your computer could be instigating such software without your approval and that we can only assume everyone is on their own computer on our end. It could be harmless, or a dangerous situation, most security patches are intended to cut out control of the OS remotely, you can take steps within Windows to restrict other user access, turn off all remote user features, for one

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users