Photo

Vehicle damage

27 replies to this topic
JohnMcClane2078
  • JohnMcClane2078

A little more than Kotex and cotton balls

• Members

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:56 PM

The vehicle damage needs to be more severe. I can't tell you how frustrated I was to see how much he'll I would put my car through in GTA IV that I couldn't rip off the fender, bumper or wheels. I think that if you whack into something hard and fast enough you can totally disable the car because it doesn't have wheels. Sure the hood and the doors would fly off but that's just not good enough. I know there has been issues with the vehicle physics so what do yous think?

Kevert
  • Kevert

Ain't criminality exhilarating?

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:05 PM

Yeah I'll agree with you on this. If you're going 100mph down a street and crash into anything solid, your car should be rendered inoperable. But I don't want it like San Andreas where if you brushed the doors of the car against anything they would start hanging off, I want to be able to keep the cars I like in nice condition without too much hastle. A few bumps at slow speeds shouldn't produce visible damage.

JohnMcClane2078
  • JohnMcClane2078

A little more than Kotex and cotton balls

• Members

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:09 PM

The damage in SA was a little rediculous. I'm going to attribute that to the systems capabilities in that day. I think GTA IV nailed it when you brush up against something and it would show a little scrape. Everything else pissed me off.

Byzantine
  • Byzantine

• Members

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:33 PM

It should incorporate how when you hit a wall at really high speeds, you were ejected out of the car.

kietotheworld
  • kietotheworld

Hater Player

• Members

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:06 AM

QUOTE (Byzantine @ Sunday, Apr 29 2012, 23:33)
It should incorporate how when you hit a wall at really high speeds, you were ejected out of the car.

It should incorporate seatbelts.

RipGore
  • RipGore

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:23 AM

Crashes like these would be satisfying:

Ex Hellraiser
  • Ex Hellraiser

Legendary

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:51 AM

QUOTE (RipGore @ Monday, Apr 30 2012, 03:23)
Crashes like these would be satisfying:

[youtube]<snip> GTA 4 Crash, Stunts realitic damage Mod <snip>

This.

The damage model from IV needs little changing, but instead should just be multiplied in the way it was in the video. The only thing that I would suggest is bending polys, not just morphing ones. Hoods and fenders magically get shorter and still fit together, and don't bend/crumple as they should. And when a hood/trunk is open when the car is hit, they shouldn't magically bend in midair without being touched.

Carlover325
  • Carlover325

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:17 AM

I'm fine with the damage in IV. The crashes in the video would piss me off. One good hit and your car is on fire, that would get annoying very quickly.

I'm not looking for absolute realism when I play GTA. It's about the fun of running around carjacking people, getting in police chases, running over pedestrians, and smashing into other cars. I do not want to have to switch cars every time I run into something.

thatguy23
  • thatguy23

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:12 AM

IMO the damage defiantly needs to be improved. That is on my top 5 list of things that, i feel, need to be improved. There at least needs to be more parts of the car which break off and instead of the car squishing up like in IV, the cars need to bend or the parts do for a more realistic look.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

QUOTE (JohnMcClane2078 @ Monday, Apr 30 2012, 00:09)
I'm going to attribute that to the systems capabilities in that day.

Do not, you may come off as a person who knows jack sh*t.

Cars in GTAIV received damage almost as if you were driving a block of clay, too plastic if you ask me. And right you are parts seldom came off, general tendency was to merge parts on impact.

GlaswegianOutlaw
  • GlaswegianOutlaw

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:08 AM

I'd like more locational damage on vehicles.

For example in GTA IV, if the rpg hits my rotors or tail, the whole thing bursts into flames.

In GTA V I want the tail of my chopper to get blown off with a rocket or grenade, and similarly, if an rpg hits my wing when I am in a big plane, I want the wing to get blown off, not the entire plane to burst into flames inexplicably.

Also, maybe if you crash into the ground in a plane, you don't just explode as if the passenger seats are covered in dynamite. Maybe you could control your crash and skid along the ground.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:13 AM

I think in plane crashes the major issue are the wings which are full of fuel.

But it was silly to see all 4 tires set on fire at the same time just because the car took too much damage.

GlaswegianOutlaw
  • GlaswegianOutlaw

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:18 AM

You know what I mean. If a rocket hit the back of a plane it wouldn't instantly cause the entire plane to burst into flames, instantly killing anything and everything and everyone on board.

Nero1024
  • Nero1024

<insert element> breathing dragon

• Members

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:20 AM

I'm hoping for damage to be improved for planes (if they are usable this round). I don't want my planes to suddenly blow up b/c the wing happened to clip that pop-in redwood (or other immovable objects). Instead I'd prefer the wing to be ripped off with the fiery crash later.

EverBlazin
  • EverBlazin

Peon

• Members

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:33 AM

Racedriver GRID had awesome damage. If GTA could do that it would be cool.

mdr279
  • mdr279

• Members

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:36 AM

Sure I wouldn't mind an improvement, but the damage in GTA IV was one of the only things I was really impressed with (along with the city). I don't know if anyone has ever fired an explosive shotgun round into the roof of a car in TBOGT but that damage was immense.

thatguy23
  • thatguy23

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:51 AM

QUOTE (GlaswegianOutlaw @ Monday, Apr 30 2012, 10:08)
I'd like more locational damage on vehicles.

For example in GTA IV, if the rpg hits my rotors or tail, the whole thing bursts into flames.

In GTA V I want the tail of my chopper to get blown off with a rocket or grenade, and similarly, if an rpg hits my wing when I am in a big plane, I want the wing to get blown off, not the entire plane to burst into flames inexplicably.

Also, maybe if you crash into the ground in a plane, you don't just explode as if the passenger seats are covered in dynamite. Maybe you could control your crash and skid along the ground.

Planes (if flyable) defiantly need a better damage system then just exploding when they hit the ground or just freeze when they crash, like in flight simulators.

Also after a plane crash, if the protag somehow survives their should be oil left on the ground in some cases and if you don't get out in time the whole place may go up in flames.

With RPG's hitting planes I think it should be handled differently depending on the plane and where the rocket hit. If it hits the engine, the engine should blow up making the plane hard to control. If the rocket just hits the wing then the plane should be extremely hard to control, considering the fact of the hydraulics being damaged.

XTREME0235
  • XTREME0235

Aviation Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:17 AM Edited by XTREME0235, 30 April 2012 - 11:22 AM.

If anyone here has played The Ballad of Gay Tony and remembers the last mission where you have to chase Bulgarin's private jet (Ghawar), then you should remember the plane blowing up due to Bulgarin dropping his grenade.
It completely ripped the front end off leaving the body in a burning wreck as it plummets to the ocean below.

Apologies for the large image.

user posted image

This is the kind of damage I would absolutely love to see in terms of aircraft, especially the planes given that they would have a new system implemented specifically for planes. Of course assuming they're not reusing San Andreas' handling lines for the planes..which I highly doubt as well as dread.

FRAIZER
  • FRAIZER

Schrödinger's Cat

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA Online]

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:48 AM

I imagine/hope that R* would implement a system for cars to disassemble the way they did the guns in Max Payne 3.

As seen in the video above, when you fly through the air and flip your car, fenders, bumpers, doors, hood and trunk doors would fly off in every direction. That would be effin sweet!

Psychotic Mind
  • Psychotic Mind

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:54 PM

The problem I had with damage was the lack in variety. Almost every vehicle with the exception of (semi trucks, armoured trucks) was indentical in terms of the damage it could take and produce. For example I would expect a vehicle such as the Patriot to be able to withstand more damage and gunfire than say a Futo. If they both can take the same amount then that means you would always be better off with a faster car because it could just outrun everything.

Isuck100%
  • Isuck100%

Hasa Diga Eebowai!

• Members

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

GTA IV's vehicle damage may not be as severe as you'd like, but you've got to admit that it is far better than any other open world game's damage modeling. Actually, it's one of the best of any driving game. Games like Saints Row seem to be stuck in the past with their canned damage. GTA IV's procedural damage and deformation is heavenly in comparison!

Wu Kenny Lee
  • Wu Kenny Lee

Fly By Night

• Members

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:20 PM

The vehicle damage system was okay for it's time, although I wouldn't mind an improvement.
However, I always felt like the vehicles blew up way to slowly after being on fire in GTA IV.
I'm no expert so I can't tell in how far that's realistic, but I liked it better when they blew up in like 4 seconds after the car was on fire.
It just didn't felt life-threatening anymore, in that time it took a car to explode you could easily stop the burning car, eat a hot dog, jack another car and then slowly drive away like a boss whatsthat.gif

JBanton
  • JBanton

Mr. Nice-Guy...

• Members

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:12 PM

Bumpers, and panels should be able to come off the cars and also the Rhino should be able to deform any vehicle smaller than it

StellarFish20
  • StellarFish20

Pow.

• Members

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:15 PM

I agree that there needs to be an improvement in vehicle damage, however, I wouldn't be too bothered if it was the same as IV

1whitebuddah
  • 1whitebuddah

SHOWN PARASITIC

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:43 PM

you guys are too fussy, play a different open world game and you'll see how sh*t the car physics are compared to gta, rockstar have nailed vehicle control and damage imo

Speetix
  • Speetix

Tyrant - Boss

• Members

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:05 PM

Maybe if you throw a motolov coctail on a window for a car, than it goes trhough the windows and it burns in the car. That would be awesome!

thatguy23
  • thatguy23

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE (1whitebuddah @ Tuesday, May 1 2012, 19:43)
you guys are too fussy, play a different open world game and you'll see how sh*t the car physics are compared to gta, rockstar have nailed vehicle control and damage imo

Yes, IMO GTA IV has the best car damage in an open-world game, but there is always room for improvement.

Flashify
  • Flashify

IV IS STILL KING

• Members

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:38 PM

http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=451502

(Point number 2)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users