PlayStation 2 12 years old

43 replies to this topic
LittleBlueTroll
  • LittleBlueTroll

★★★★

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:57 AM

I loved the PS2, still own one but i never use it.
This was my first "serious" console, when i was old enough to understand the story in games and what was going on, as opposed to playing PS1 when all i really played was Crash Bandicoot or FIFA.

I wish i had my old memory cards to see how many hours i clocked on some of them games, Vice City and San Andreas alone would create a ridiculous amount of hours lol.gif
Then over the years i poured hours and hours into games like;

Here Comes The Pain (My favourite WWE game on the PS2)
True Crime Streets of LA
The Sims Bustin Out
The Getaway
Matt Hoffmans Pro BMX 2
Max Payne
The Godfather

That list was in no particular order, but when i think back to some of my fondest memories on that console they're the games that spring to mind.

Redketman
  • Redketman

Playa

• Members

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE (Butters 2011 @ Sunday, Apr 29 2012, 22:15)
QUOTE (Redketman @ Sunday, Apr 29 2012, 07:02)
...Other great PS2 games I remember we got in 2002 were: States of Emergency...

You are joking, right? That had to be one of the worst, most pointless games that has ever been released on a console. I admit, for the first few days, it was enjoyable at the most, but then when you realise you're just doing the same sh*t over and over and over and over...

Why would I joke? People don't agree on everything you know. But obviously I meant games that is and were nostalgic to me. Besides, State of Emergency was a well received game when it was released and it's by no means a bad game if we talk objectively.

Cosmic Gypsy
  • Cosmic Gypsy

It's time for a trip

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:44 PM

QUOTE (Redketman @ Monday, Apr 30 2012, 15:26)
QUOTE (Butters 2011 @ Sunday, Apr 29 2012, 22:15)
QUOTE (Redketman @ Sunday, Apr 29 2012, 07:02)
...Other great PS2 games I remember we got in 2002 were: States of Emergency...

You are joking, right? That had to be one of the worst, most pointless games that has ever been released on a console. I admit, for the first few days, it was enjoyable at the most, but then when you realise you're just doing the same sh*t over and over and over and over...

Why would I joke? People don't agree on everything you know. But obviously I meant games that is and were nostalgic to me. Besides, State of Emergency was a well received game when it was released and it's by no means a bad game if we talk objectively.

Xbox 1 had a better version of State Of Emergency, it had split screen 2 player. PS2's version didn't if i remember correctly.

02fishera
  • 02fishera

PSN ID: TeamTango91

• Members
  • England

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:01 PM

I'm lucky enough to still have my original PS2, I got it for Christmas in 2000 and I've never had any major trouble with it. (Although having said that, its been on its last legs for the last year or so. I'm afraid to use it because I don't want it to break.) As much as I love my PS3, I just don't get as excited or really feel the need to play it anywhere near as much as my PS2. Games like the GTA series, Red Faction, past FIFAs and LMA Manager 2005 kept me hooked for hours, but while there's some stunning titles out this gen, nothing really has the same effect on me.

AndyGanteks
  • AndyGanteks

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica
  • Most Valuable Player 2014
    Contribution Award [Sports]
    Most Skilled Player 2013
    Best Event 2013 "GTAF Gang League 2013"
    Most Valuable Player 2012
    Best Contributor [Multiplayer] 2012
    Most Valuable Player 2011
    Winner of World Cup 2010 Prediction League
    Best Event 2010 "GTAF Gang League 2010"
    Most Valuable Player 2010
    Best Team Player 2010

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:02 PM

I got a sudden urge to play my PS1 and PS2 again. Think i'm gonna do it this summer when i have more time. smile.gif

PS1 and PS2 ~ good times.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:05 PM

QUOTE (02fishera @ Tuesday, May 1 2012, 05:01)
I'm lucky enough to still have my original PS2, I got it for Christmas in 2000 and I've never had any major trouble with it. (Although having said that, its been on its last legs for the last year or so. I'm afraid to use it because I don't want it to break.) As much as I love my PS3, I just don't get as excited or really feel the need to play it anywhere near as much as my PS2. Games like the GTA series, Red Faction, past FIFAs and LMA Manager 2005 kept me hooked for hours, but while there's some stunning titles out this gen, nothing really has the same effect on me.

I got my Original PS2 as well from 2001 i think, i bought a Slim now since it is more reliable, the Fat works good most of the time, but some games don't run as well and the game won't load sometimes.

Yululu
  • Yululu

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:47 PM

i got my here, bought in localoca. Yo my gf is mad cause i didnt threw ma old ps into da garbage. wut should i do? im gonna hit her with ma axe fack!

Bernard Jazz
  • Bernard Jazz

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:12 AM

I've still got my fat PS2 which I bought back in 2002, alongside it I have my PS1 which I received Christmas 1997. The beautiful thing is that I can simply switch the power/video cables between the two whenever I feel like it since my PS2 seems to throw a bit of a hissy fit when I put PS1 games in it.

You would be sadly mistaken if you thought I have a PS3/360 though. I did have a 360 for a while, but I traded it for a bass guitar.

unopieceo
  • unopieceo

Turdler Durpden

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Best Vehicle 2012 [HD GTA Cars]

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:24 AM

QUOTE (tms_junk @ Monday, Apr 30 2012, 21:57)
The Godfather

Such an awful game.

MrcTOtheJ
  • MrcTOtheJ

Ah yes 'Heists' we have dismissed these claims

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:36 AM

QUOTE (Butters 2011 @ Monday, Apr 30 2012, 01:44)
QUOTE (Mr.c TO the J @ Monday, Apr 30 2012, 04:01)
QUOTE (Cosmic Gypsy @ Sunday, Apr 29 2012, 14:43)
I'm trying to get hold of a PS2 now, I'm dying to play The Warriors, San Andreas, Scarface and Manhunt 1. turns out PS2's are hard to get hold of these days. Every one say they either used to have one of have a broken one. Actually tempted to buy a brand new one just to play the classic games.

Talk about it, I miss mine badly, odds are I'll just get a used thin one, hopefully it works out well, but I don't know if GameStop will take me for a run or not, anyone know if they test those things out before they sale them? I don't wan to get burned to badly.

The proper procedure is for the shop to test them before they even buy them, if someone is to be trading one in, but this isn't always the case, so I'd advise you to just keep your receipt.

I think over here, the average going price for a PS2 these days is around 30-40, so shall be picking one up when I have some spare cash. Wouldn't mind getting the full GTA collection again and playing through all of them, plus all of the other 100+ games that I used to love.

Yeah I'll be sure to keep my receipt, this topic has made me miss my PS2 even more, shame I sold 90% of my games for it (save one or two that are harder to find like Tokyo Xtreme Racer Drift 2, well I guess I can order it online but for the sake of convince I kept it) which means I'll have to buy the GTA III trilogy, and then the double pack with VCS and LCS again. No issues they're well worth it. Not to mention other games like Scarface: The World is Yours I need to pick up and FFXII, and the list goes on. tounge.gif

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:20 PM

Of all the PS systems to find at the Goodwill, I saw yet another PS1, but no PS2s, only the controllers show up consistently. Why do I mention this, why, because it's proof positive, the controllers and games show up used, but the consoles don't, at least not nearly as often as the numbers suggest

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Born to kick your ass

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2015
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Movies/TV] 2013

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:37 PM

Just another console to me. Other than the DVD-drive, it wasn't that innovative. The graphics were better than the PS1, but that's just inevitable.

To me the Xbox was the more innovative console. They put in a hard drive, built in Ethernet port, and later they added XBL, which revolutionized online console multiplayer.

To me, the PS2 was only great because of the third party support. GTAIII and Vice City were exclusive at one point, as well as Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3. In my mind those two franchises did a lot to further the software side of console gaming than anything else in the past decade. GTA, which inspired open world games everywhere, and Metal Gear Solid which inspired better story telling.

autotheftisgrand
  • autotheftisgrand

Fries optional

• Members

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:41 AM

I borrowed my friends PS2 for 2 years a few years back, it didn't do my grades any better but hell I had fun.

My friend gave me the slim one this Christmas. Haven't played it for a while because of the PS3. The nostalgia factor is top notch though, I finished Def Jam: Fight For NY a few months back and it brought me to my high school days.

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

The idiots are taking over

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:40 AM

QUOTE (darthYENIK @ Tuesday, May 1 2012, 20:37)
Just another console to me. Other than the DVD-drive, it wasn't that innovative. The graphics were better than the PS1, but that's just inevitable.

To me the Xbox was the more innovative console. They put in a hard drive, built in Ethernet port, and later they added XBL, which revolutionized online console multiplayer.

To me, the PS2 was only great because of the third party support. GTAIII and Vice City were exclusive at one point, as well as Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3. In my mind those two franchises did a lot to further the software side of console gaming than anything else in the past decade. GTA, which inspired open world games everywhere, and Metal Gear Solid which inspired better story telling.

That's why the PS2 was such a massive success though, because of all the support that it had from 3rd party companies, giving it one of the strongest line-ups of all consoles. Look at the Wii - it failed massively because it had such terrible 3rd party support, resulting in a weak line-up of games, thus destroying it's reputation.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users