Photo

The american media

38 replies to this topic
RomansMoobs
  • RomansMoobs

Playa

• Members

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:30 PM

All modern media is today is sensationalism. Every form of major media now. I was slandered by my local newspaper. They had maybe two facts on the whole story and blew it up by throwing catch words into the title. If they would have reported the facts they would have had 2 sentences to write. They claimed a lot of sh*t when they didn't talk to me, the lawyer, or the school system.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE (John The Grudge @ Tuesday, May 8 2012, 12:53)
[...] .  I understand in America they have PBS.  Is that like the BBC over here?

PBS news is 'close' to BBC, but the nerds who do the news gathering think they are Gods. At many Police activities they try to cross the Line to 'get the story' and won't take No for an answer. They come as close to being arrested for interfering as they can. (Personal observation from years past).
The better productions of News actually comes from the BBC.

PBS no longer gets most of its money from the Government through Taxs so it is gradually selling out to the Corporations.

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Soldier

• Members

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:58 AM

QUOTE (lil weasel @ Tuesday, May 8 2012, 20:21)
PBS no longer gets most of its money from the Government through Taxs so it is gradually selling out to the Corporations.

That's a pity. Maybe a 100% publicly funded TV station is a hard sell in America. Over here there's no question that the BBC answers to the public.

It doesn't really fit in with the rampant capitalism we live with today but I think institutions like the BBC should be the exception and need to be protected.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:45 AM

Our PBS is even running 'Health' Infomercials as Public Service Broadcasting to sucker in the money during fund raising.

thecommander
  • thecommander

You can forget about the miscarrige or keep drinking.

• Members

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:35 AM

PBS has great specials. Ones that stick out is Law and Disorder in New Orleans about the NOPD corruption and actions before and during hurricane Katrina, another one is Behind Taliban Lines witch actually has a reporter and embedded with the Taliban in Afghanistan.

Media here has changed a lot. Tonight the big story was how Hilary Clinton dresses. I can't imagine Walter Cronkite, Dan Rather, or Peter Jennings reporting on stuff like that. But I guess they wouldn't have much of a choice with today's quest for ratings. Which reminds me that there is a great episode of South Park that deals with this topic. It's called Quest for Ratings.

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:44 AM

QUOTE (lil weasel @ Wednesday, May 9 2012, 19:15)
Our PBS is even running 'Health' Infomercials as Public Service Broadcasting to sucker in the money during fund raising.

I'm not familiar with the US tv stations is PBS the only public/commercial station in the US?

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:01 AM Edited by lil weasel, 10 May 2012 - 08:05 AM.

PBS is the "Public Broadcasting Service". It was supposed to be a commercial free enterprise partially supported by government grants and mostly by Citizen donations. Locally Produced TV events/shows were to have been the norm unhindered by commercial dictation. In the Rare sponsored programing a simple credit was given to the donating corporation (Mobil, then Mobil/Exxon) were the first of note.)
It developed from Tennis matches and such to BBC rebroadcasts of what became very popular series'. Doctor Who and British Mystery’s, then comedies. Then they told us Brit TV was getting too expensive and gradually adapted commercials from corporations started creeping in. Now we get bombarded by commercials between every show.
Lately various 'Doctors' spieling there "Cure's for Life's Problems" and "Tax Help" infomercials are edging out the real entertainment. What started out as yearly 'begging' for donations have turned into 3 times a year (lasting it seems 2 months each) plea's for money wherein these infomercial’s and 'Celtic Thunder' type 'specials' are dominating the Small Screen.
I gave up years back when "Doctor Who" who was on at 1730 everyday was bumped to midnight so Barney could beg for money to continue. I gave my donation to The Doctor and it was later cancelled because "There wasn't enough interest" and "the rights to the show were too expensive".
So now we only have interesting programing for 1 hour a day and 2 hours on Sunday.
My donations now go to "Netflix" smile.gif

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Soldier

• Members

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:13 AM

QUOTE (thecommander @ Thursday, May 10 2012, 07:35)
PBS has great specials. Ones that stick out is Law and Disorder in New Orleans about the NOPD corruption and actions before and during hurricane Katrina, another one is Behind Taliban Lines witch actually has a reporter and embedded with the Taliban in Afghanistan.

Media here has changed a lot. Tonight the big story was how Hilary Clinton dresses. I can't imagine Walter Cronkite, Dan Rather, or Peter Jennings reporting on stuff like that. But I guess they wouldn't have much of a choice with today's quest for ratings. Which reminds me that there is a great episode of South Park that deals with this topic. It's called Quest for Ratings.

Every country should have access to a news source that is completely unbiased. The only way for that to be possible is if it's:

100% publicly funded.
Completely independent of the government.
Has to justify every cent they spend to the public.
Is completely commercial free.

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:22 AM

QUOTE (lil weasel @ Thursday, May 10 2012, 18:31)
PBS is the "Public Broadcasting Service". It was supposed to be a commercial free enterprise

It seems commercials are creeping it to everything nowadays no matter whether you pay not to have commercials or not. That is what pay tv here is like.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users