Photo

The Battle for Marjah

1 reply to this topic
GOUSN1776
  • GOUSN1776

U.S. Marine

• Members

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:47 AM

Hello everyone. Today, on my PS3, I watched 'The Battle for Marjah' which is a documentary following the Marines, primarily B Company, 1st Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment, through their insertion to, seizure of, and eventual restoration of Marjah, Afghanistan in February of 2010. Their main objective was to capture and control the main center of Marjah and restore the areas government, police forces, and economy. It was thought that whatever accomplishments were made in Marjah would be the guideline of how to win the war throughout Afghanistan.

I believe that the emotion of not only the Marines and Afghan Soldiers but also the civilians was well captured by the cameraman, apologies for not remembering his name. The cameraman did an excellent job of capturing the fury, chaos, and intensity as best film can as he was up front with grunts dodging bullets and getting pounded by the shockwave of explosions. At one point the cameraman is next to a truck filming and a bullet is heard wizzing past him and he immediately ducks behind the truck where Marines are.

In addition to its riveting video and audio, the creators also put in notes behind the reason and history of Operation Moshtarak. Even though they are on camera, the Marines are not afraid to cuss (as they just biggrin.gif ) or express their sentiments toward the Taliban. On the other side of the spectrum, the documentary also captures the sentiment(s) of the Afghan civilians toward the U.S. personal in their country, which isn't always positive.

All in all it is a wonderful watch and gives me insight into what the Marine Corps is really about and what they do on a day to day basis. This is important to me as I am joining the U.S. Marine Corps in June!

What are your thoughts on this documentary?

--------------------------------------

OORAH! I don't yet rate to say S.F.

TEoS
  • TEoS

High Priest of the Vootard Cult

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:39 PM

FYI the USMC is drawing down and converting back to garrison life so you're going to spend 4 years doing uniform inspections, picking up pine cones of your battalion's front lawn, and getting f*cked with 24/7 in general. Units are still deploying of course, but it is becoming less and less frequent. Just a fair warning.

Edit: Also, avoid getting stationed at Lejeune at all costs, Jacksonville, NC is a soul-sucking sh*thole of a town

Haven't seen the film in it's entirety, just bits and pieces.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users