» «
Photo

Found lost iPad

21 replies to this topic
YankeesPwnMets
  • YankeesPwnMets

More Betterer

• Members

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:37 PM Edited by YankeesPwnMets, 27 April 2012 - 11:40 PM.

My mom works in a hotel. She does the cleaning for rooms that people have checked out of and cleans them before the next guest checks in (usually in a few hours)

She was searching the safes to empty out and found a unlocked safe with an iPad, and the guest who was staying in the room was already checked out. Hotel policy gives guests 24 hours after checkout to report lost items to be returned, but nobody claimed it for some weird reason. She gave the thing to me but I couldn't really find info on the person. I turned it onto airplane mode and haven't messed with it yet, other then just checking it.

Any way to give this thing back to its owner? Or is finding the owner impossible now? I didn't connect it to the internet because I don't want somebody to find me, press charges while I'm just trying to help....

Additional info: there is no passcode on the iPad...

vertical limit
  • vertical limit

When in doubt don't pull out.

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:48 PM

Check the mail.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:49 PM

Uh, the hotel should know who it belongs to...

YankeesPwnMets
  • YankeesPwnMets

More Betterer

• Members

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:51 PM

QUOTE (vertical limit @ Friday, Apr 27 2012, 19:48)
Check the mail.

No dice, mail has never been set up

Pictures are Spongebob pics.... possible that some kid lost this?

@Otter: My mom will check the logbook when she goes back to work on Monday.....

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:53 PM

I'm guessing she kinda bypassed the rules by bringing it home, huh?

YankeesPwnMets
  • YankeesPwnMets

More Betterer

• Members

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:56 PM

-edit-

My mom called the hotel and the address of the owner has been found. Haven't been able to call him/her yet so I'll be waiting for a return call

now the new question: How do you ship this thing safely??? Any suggestions? Last thing I want is for this thing to be broken by UPS/Fedex/USPS

Los Santos Pedestrian
  • Los Santos Pedestrian

Then as it was, but again it will be

• Members

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:59 PM

QUOTE (YankeesPwnMets @ Friday, Apr 27 2012, 23:56)
How do you ship this thing safely???

Shove as many packing peanuts as you can into the package. Not only will it keep the thing safe, it will also troll the owner.

YankeesPwnMets
  • YankeesPwnMets

More Betterer

• Members

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:02 AM Edited by YankeesPwnMets, 28 April 2012 - 12:07 AM.

QUOTE (Los Santos Pedestrian @ Friday, Apr 27 2012, 19:59)
QUOTE (YankeesPwnMets @ Friday, Apr 27 2012, 23:56)
How do you ship this thing safely???

Shove as many packing peanuts as you can into the package. Not only will it keep the thing safe, it will also troll the owner.

lmao... the thing has to be a new iPad 3... very little apps and music, very little pics and most things haven't been set up yet

Will peanuts scratch the screen? I don't think the owner would want to find abrasion all over the screen

-edit- Location in Settings says Cupertino, but I doubt that would be any use because its probably set there by default since Apple's HQ is in Cupertino

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:06 AM

Wrap it in layers of bubble wrap and stick inside a cardboard box. You can get wrap specifically for postage that have bigger bubbles to cushion fragile goods. Stick a few "fragile" stickers on it and you're good to G-O.

YankeesPwnMets
  • YankeesPwnMets

More Betterer

• Members

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:08 AM

QUOTE (Craig @ Friday, Apr 27 2012, 20:06)
Wrap it in layers of bubble wrap and stick inside a cardboard box. You can get wrap specifically for postage that have bigger bubbles to cushion fragile goods. Stick a few "fragile" stickers on it and you're good to G-O.

I found the screen protector that came with my new MBP and put it on the screen, wrapped in some bubble wrap, slap some Newegg peanuts I got from an order a few weeks ago and its ready to be shipped.....

except I still don't have an address

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:51 AM

Um, here's an idea - give it back to the hotel so they can arrange for safe handling and shipping.

Girish
  • Girish

• India

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

QUOTE (Otter @ Saturday, Apr 28 2012, 07:21)
Um, here's an idea - give it back to the hotel so they can arrange for safe handling and shipping.

This.

I have no idea why you are going through all this trouble to get the iPad back to the owner when it should have been the hotel's responsibility in the first place.

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Zaibatsu
  • Belize

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE (YankeesPwnMets @ Saturday, Apr 28 2012, 01:08)
QUOTE (Craig @ Friday, Apr 27 2012, 20:06)

I found the screen protector that came with my new MBP and put it on the screen, wrapped in some bubble wrap, slap some Newegg peanuts I got from an order a few weeks ago and its ready to be shipped.....

except I still don't have an address

I'll PM you my address shortly then.

I don't really like iPads, cause it's Apple, but I'll take it smile.gif

les
  • les

Kith the batman.

• The Precinct

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

QUOTE (Otter @ Saturday, Apr 28 2012, 01:51)

Exactly. This all sounds really sketchy.

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

The boatman stays with the boat.

• Members

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:24 PM

QUOTE (Otter @ Friday, Apr 27 2012, 20:51)

It appears as though hotel policy would prevent them from being held responsible for returning it to the owner unless it was reported withing 24 hours. And even still it might be the responsibility of the owner to come back and pick it up. So if he did return it to the hotel, the only thing he'd be doing is giving to his Mom's manager to keep.

Just to be safe I'd put it in an anti static bag, wrap that in bubble wrap, then fill the rest in with newspaper or packaging peanuts. Try to keep it so it's in the middle of the box, not laying on the bottom or against one side. As long as you do that, it should be safe even from UPS, FedEx, or USPS flinging the box from one truck to another. USPS Parcel Post or Priority Mail would most likely be cheapest. I'm guessing Priority Mail since it's light.

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:05 PM

I would just keep it. If you are too stupid to lose a new ipad (And don't even try to contact the Hotel) it's your problem.

Ronnyboy
  • Ronnyboy

Blind leading the deaf, leading the socially inept.

• Members

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:04 PM

I'll pay for shipping if you can't find an address.

GTAIndonesia
  • GTAIndonesia

Gone

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:46 AM

Damn,... Lucky B@stard

Dr. John
  • Dr. John

Women and Wine

• Members
  • India

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE (Girish @ Saturday, Apr 28 2012, 16:47)
when it should have been the hotel's responsibility in the first place.

I think the rules say different: Keep your belongings and materials safe. We are noway responsible for any loss.

I would give it to charity. At least it would give peace of mind.

Sgt. Foley
  • Sgt. Foley

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:06 AM

I'll take it off your hands! Lmao JK. But the owner should of contacted the hotel so they can find out if they left it there. I mean, it's not hard to lose a $500-$600 dollar tablet is it?

TheTrikstar
  • TheTrikstar

Skank!

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:32 PM

Just keep it, Finder's keepers!

Prometheus
  • Prometheus

• None

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE (TheTrikstar @ Thursday, May 10 2012, 19:32)
Just keep it, Finder's keepers!

You're two weeks late, I think he dealt with it. tounge.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users