» «
Photo

The Community Vehshare.wtd

25 replies to this topic
Gus-84
  • Gus-84

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:29 PM Edited by Gus-84, 03 May 2012 - 10:30 PM.

user posted image

THE VEHICLE SHARE.

What is vehicle share? (aka vehshare.wtd)

wehshare.wtd is a file located in the vehicles.img that contain the most frequently used texture.
For example the license plate that appears on every car, but also the undercarriage, tires or windows.
Rockstar use this file to save video ram, by avoiding the same texture to be loaded several time.

Unfortunately, modders don't use this file*! For a better compatibility, they all use their own wtd file, with all the texture they need in it.
This is one of the reason why your vehicle.img file is going bigger and bigger every time you add new cars.
There is a lot of replicated texture, there is a lot of poor resolution texture, there is lot of way too big texture...
Some are nice, some are ugly, But most of the time you find the texture on two or tree cars!

(*) Stiopa is the only modder I've ever seen using the vehshare.wtd file.
Sorry to say that, but that was pretty useless, as he is the only one who ever use the texture he added.(and that's too bad)

What do we find in this file?

A texture used for a lot of genric part, like the license plate and stuff (with normal and spec):
user posted image

A texture for the generic wheels, with normal, spec and dirt texture:
user posted image

Some 256px texture used for the generic metallic paint effect, burn texture, door shunt and hood:
user posted image

Two 512px textures used for dirt and mud:
user posted image

a 512px texture for generic interior:
user posted image

a 256px texture used for glass:
http://gus84.perso.s...asswindows2.png

a 256px texture used for police decal (this one cans be deleted if you don't use any standard police car)
user posted image

and a tiny texture named, witch I don't know what she's used for!
user posted image

And so what?
THE COMMUNITY VEHICLE SHARE.

So, I'm a texture lover, and I like to work on this little modern paint that the artist is going to use to make his art.
This is why I've started to create an optimized vehshare.wtd file.
A wtd file witch contain all of the original Rockstar textures, tweaked, optimized and resized.
Plus all the "community texture" that contain some of the most used material.

Here are the texture contained in the community vehshare:

vehicle_generic_tires 'n stuff: tires, brake disk, radiator, rims, pedal, license plate...
user posted image
user posted image
WARNING: This is early WIP, I need the modders community to determinate witch texture to use.

vehicle_generic_grill: all kind of grill, opened and 60% black version.
user posted image
user posted image

For each of these texture we will have 2048x2048 texture for the HD version, and 1024x1024 texture for the SD version.

[b]AND NOW WHAT?

Nothing. For now this project is completly useless (and that's why it's beautifull)
Since nobody use this file at the time, my texture will remain unused for ever.
But as soon as a few modders will decide to use it and makes "CVS version" of their mods, it could become one the coolest thing ever! (just after boobs)
This is why I need your advice, This is why I need some modders to stop here and tell me if they would use this kind of file.

Let me know your toutgh about that project gentleman.
Especially if you're a car modder, would you use this file or no?

Gus.

chasez
  • chasez

GTAV? Haven't played it!

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:29 AM Edited by chasez, 28 April 2012 - 07:31 AM.

You misunderstood the meaning behind vehshare.wtd. It does not save video ram but it does save space on vehicle wtd's. Since most of the cars use the same texture why repeat them in every separate wtd file if you can attach generic car texture file. There's nothing more to it.

Since I'm converting few of the cars from Driver: San Francisco, I think it would be a great idea to add that texture to vehshare.wtd

Gus-84
  • Gus-84

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:18 PM

Great to see you chasez, and great to see that you appreciate the idea!
Please share with us, what kind of texture do you need more often? what material do you need as a modder?

About the "memory saving", you say that we reduce the wtd file size, wich are texture file.
But aren't those texture loaded to video ram?
I like to think that when two vehicles have the same texture in their wtd, they are both loaded to video ram. don't you think?

chasez
  • chasez

GTAV? Haven't played it!

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:49 PM Edited by chasez, 28 April 2012 - 07:55 PM.

QUOTE (Gus-84 @ Saturday, Apr 28 2012, 19:18)
Great to see you chasez, and great to see that you appreciate the idea!
Please share with us, what kind of texture do you need more often? what material do you need as a modder?

About the "memory saving", you say that we reduce the wtd file size, wich are texture file.
But aren't those texture loaded to video ram?
I like to think that when two vehicles have the same texture in their wtd, they are both loaded to video ram. don't you think?

Vehshare textures are loaded to ram but so does vehicle wtd textures. So it really just resolves the file size issue since all of the textures need to be loaded to ram. Since texture names are different even if they're exactly the same they are loaded to ram but there ain't many of those textures.
I don't know what kind of texture would be better to add to vehshare but I think all kinds of grids would be good, best looking chrome map, high quality logos with a perfect normal map (hard to make a good one). It would be hard to use the same texture for custom cars because they all are unique with their own look, maybe for non-existent car that no one has ever seen before like GTA IV original cars.

Gus-84
  • Gus-84

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:21 PM Edited by Gus-84, 03 May 2012 - 07:48 PM.

1024x1024 size, material texture and normal map.
EDIT: files are now in the first post.

chasez
  • chasez

GTAV? Haven't played it!

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:55 PM Edited by chasez, 29 April 2012 - 11:59 PM.

Here's the problem Although the texture and normal map looks beautiful they're too small to be applied. Would be ok if the grid mesh is with many quads to make it look exactly the same as the original. I'll give an example:

user posted image

as you can see there's not enough room for a perfect scale for that grid and that applies to all of those textures but they are really good textures including the normal maps. If you add them as separate texture then it would be great. The same goes for the reflection texture it CAN'T be as a part of some other texture.

Gus-84
  • Gus-84

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:14 AM Edited by Gus-84, 30 April 2012 - 09:31 AM.

Sorry chasez, I don't understand the problem. Too small to be applied? what do you mean?'
I have already see those kind of texture used several time in car mods, I don't see what should be a problem.

All I know is that if you cut the texture correctly (256x256) all the texture can be tilled without problem.

EDIT: I'm not a modder, I don't know how to map texture with zmodeler.

jpm1
  • jpm1

Vice city citizen

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:04 PM

i think that if modders could use the same vehshare , we could see great in-game improvement . i don't understand you chasez when you say it may not be helpful . as far as i know this is a common vehicles textures files . so the more vehicles will use it the less the game will be sollicitated , dont you think ??

Gus-84
  • Gus-84

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:23 PM Edited by Gus-84, 03 May 2012 - 07:48 PM.

A copy of the "tires and brakes" texture as it is at the moment. (1024x1024, original is 2048x2048)
EDIT: files are now in the first post.

jpm1
  • jpm1

Vice city citizen

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:28 PM

i downloaded several Stiopa's mods . each is less than 1 Mo in size , and default free models wink.gif

Gus-84
  • Gus-84

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:16 PM

Stiopa mods are some of the best, (especially for what I'm trying to do)

His model are very low poly, but still very nice.
everything is optimized and lods are ok.
he also use the vehshare.wtd, but he's the only one who use his textures!

I know he's on this board with another name, berto.
I would be cool to have his advice, I remember he's a very nice guy.

Gus-84
  • Gus-84

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:56 PM

First post updated with the "tyre 'n stuff" texture, in 2048x2048 size + normal map.
Please comment and test the texture if you can.

Sorry for the picture size. blush.gif

xwa
  • xwa

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:31 AM

Niceee gonna use this for my volkwagen caddy 2008 lwb that i am creating.

Thank you very much.

chasez
  • chasez

GTAV? Haven't played it!

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:08 AM

That tiny smallspecmap is used as a body paint and specular map for paint, interior, interior2, vehglass etc shaders. Can be used for anything. I have used it as a wheel paint too.

Gus-84
  • Gus-84

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:28 PM

Hi chasez!

I'm starting to understand a lot of things!
Since it seams that my project do not catch community interest, I've decided to learn zmodeler and to do it by myself.

About the small spec white texture, if my understanding is good, she can be used as a spec map to make object look shiny (as it is white) does she?
I've read that spec map are used to determinate the shininess of an object (white=shiny / black=mat)

About the grill texture, I think I've understand the problem you were talking about.
If you take a little grill texture like 128x128 that contain only the desired grill texture, this one can be tilled and repeated to map a grill on a car.
But with my big texture that contain several grill, you cannot "cut" the part you want and then repeat the texture, can you?
You can cut the part you want to use, but not repeat the texture. am I right?

xwa
  • xwa

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:24 PM

Dear Gus-84

Can i share your post on a dutch gta forum to?
To share your textures with dutch car modellers?

Gus-84
  • Gus-84

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:29 PM

off course you can, but the project is not finished and there is a very important point:

-I don't want these texture to be used outside of the vehshare.wtd file!

If so, it would be a complete failure of the project!

You can show this project to your friends, but explain them the purpose of all of this, please.
Thank you.

chasez
  • chasez

GTAV? Haven't played it!

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE (Gus-84 @ Thursday, May 10 2012, 13:28)
Hi chasez!

I'm starting to understand a lot of things!
Since it seams that my project do not catch community interest, I've decided to learn zmodeler and to do it by myself.

About the small spec white texture, if my understanding is good, she can be used as a spec map to make object look shiny (as it is white) does she?
I've read that spec map are used to determinate the shininess of an object (white=shiny / black=mat)

About the grill texture, I think I've understand the problem you were talking about.
If you take a little grill texture like 128x128 that contain only the desired grill texture, this one can be tilled and repeated to map a grill on a car.
But with my big texture that contain several grill, you cannot "cut" the part you want and then repeat the texture, can you?
You can cut the part you want to use, but not repeat the texture. am I right?

You understood correctly. Textures like that must be separate. And don't forget about the normal maps, they have to match the texture. I suggest to separate the wheels too. Car wouldn't have to load such a big texture, just the one it needs but then again why do we need all of them. You could create one generic wheel texture like the original one only in HD. If someone makes a sports car with a different style of tire and tread pattern they will have to add it to their car.wtd and we're back where we started, if just one car needs a specific tire texture don't need to flood the vehshare with them since only one will be loaded to ram.
I would like to use some of your texture but they are mostly attached together, like the grill texture and grill normals. I can cut them out but then I have to adjust normal map to the texture. Would be great to have it already finished with all the names and stuff like the grills would contain names like grille_1 and grille_1_normal, grille_2 and grille_2_normal etc.

Gus-84
  • Gus-84

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:33 PM

this is what i'm going to do.

About the big grill texture it seams there is a way to repeat the texture with zmodeler, that is something about "edge", but i don't know more about this.
I've read something about that in a french forum, I have asked more details.

BTW, 128x128 texture are enough for all grill, don't you think?

Gus-84
  • Gus-84

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:58 AM

Grill textures redone!
here are some:

Generic_grill_1 black, grey and normal map:
user posted image user posted image user posted image

Generic_grill_2 black, grey and normal map:

Generic_grill_3 black, grey and normal map:

Generic_grill_4 black, grey and normal map:

Gus-84
  • Gus-84

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:00 AM

Generic_grill_5 black, grey and normal map:

Generic_grill_6 black, grey and normal map:

Generic_grill_7 black, grey and normal map:

chasez
  • chasez

GTAV? Haven't played it!

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:07 PM

Thanks. Maybe if you're creating HD texture pack then maybe make them 256x256 or even 512x512 for the main texture and 256 for the specular and normal maps. But so far it looks really good.

Gus-84
  • Gus-84

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:32 PM

I'm not really in the HD thing you know...
I think we should make something that make sense with the actual game, I think there is no point having super high poly HD car in GTAIV.
As you know I'm trying to make a size optimized car pack, and the community vehsahre is part of the project.

I think 128x128 is far enough for little things like grill, it already more than the original game.
Some texture like tires need a little bit more resolution, but I will stay with something reasonable.

I'm working on some new texture, maybe an update tonight.

RoyalPredator
  • RoyalPredator

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 3 weeks ago

Nice one!

I've found this thread by searching for a solution;
My "vehicle_generic_glasswindows2" keeps disappearing from the game - really anoying.
Any idea?

Aztecas_5
  • Aztecas_5

Vehicle Modder

• Feroci Racing
  • Italy

Posted 2 weeks ago

Man,do you know that you bumped a two years old thread?

RoyalPredator
  • RoyalPredator

Player Hater

• Members

Posted A day ago

Yeah I know. Who cares. The disappearing has been fixed, but yet it's reflections are weak, not as nice as iCEN's, aaand that ENB just fcks up all kind of installs I ever tried it on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users