Photo

HDMI Capture Card.

19 replies to this topic
Domeux
  • Domeux

King of the Craic

• Members

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:14 PM

Okay, so I have been looking around at HDMI capture cards that require you to open your computer up and put them in and upon looking at the back of my computer I noticed there is a HDMI port already there and am wondering if it would be possible to use this to capture from my Xbox 360?

My computer is an Acer Aspire M3970.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:42 PM

The HDMI port on the computer is for HDMI out to a TV or monitor with HDMI.
There are HDMI capture cards, here's one for an example: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16815100049

However for what you say you want to do I would suggest this: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16815100097
This is a box that you connect your Xbox to using component cables and from there it connects to your TV. You then only need a good size USB stick or external drive or it does have a port on the bottom to connect a 2.5in HDD. These will capture the video to it and then you take them out and connect it to you PC and copy the files over. The unit does all of the capture for you and in real time.

The problem with connecting your Xbox to your PC and having it do the capture is delay. What some do to get around that is to use a splitter that will split each of the video and audio cables on a component cable, one side goes to the PC while the other goes to a TV.

If you're wanting to use HDMI for the video quality, component is just as good as HDMI.
And there is no point in trying to capture the audio in 5.1, if you plan to upload them to Youtube then 5.1 won't matter since YT doesn't support 5.1 and will convert it to stereo. Still amazes me the number of 5.1 videos you'll find on YT and those that think it really is 5.1 audio coming out.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

For cards generally, a higher pin count DIN sized like S-video is referred to as a VIVO, Video In, Video Out
It's terminology is a lot more specific then just any AV jack or Video only jack. However, one way to test a ports attributes is just to connect it to your device, and FEED the signal in instead of looking for the signal coming out, in Windows capture wizard, see if it detects it, look in the video drivers to see if anything is showing different.
I say this because for years camcorders have allowed the same physical jacks to detect incoming signals to record from, if they don't nothing happens, no damage will occur. But it's possible to determine that way without worry I believe

Domeux
  • Domeux

King of the Craic

• Members

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE (Wolf68k @ Thursday, Apr 26 2012, 17:42)
However for what you say you want to do I would suggest this: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16815100097
This is a box that you connect your Xbox to using component cables and from there it connects to your TV. You then only need a good size USB stick or external drive or it does have a port on the bottom to connect a 2.5in HDD. These will capture the video to it and then you take them out and connect it to you PC and copy the files over. The unit does all of the capture for you and in real time.

I've got a HD PVR, I'm guessing this is something similiar? The problem I have with this is that you HAVE to play using component cables, and in doing so reduces the picture quality on my TV, and thus I can't enjoy the game (I notice really fine detailsand changes). If there was something that allowed you to play in HDMI while recording component it'd be great but the Xbox doesn't allow for it.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:07 PM Edited by Slamman, 26 April 2012 - 09:09 PM.

If you have a Xbox with HDMI and the original output cable just above it, it should work in unison, but you do need to modify their own connectors, this is somewhat old news. HDMI and Component are not far removed in terms of quality. HDMI allows for the same HD signals as HD Component and DVI can deliver, but allowing for audio and protection of HD content as well.

Remove the casing surrounding the interconnect (which is proprietary I believe, but used on third party connectors as well, which maybe easier to modify, the reason for this is most people open up that connector space for HDMI as a video out, and the standard AV to supply an Optical Toslink to their stereo receiver

Domeux
  • Domeux

King of the Craic

• Members

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:50 PM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Thursday, Apr 26 2012, 21:07)
If you have a Xbox with HDMI and the original output cable just above it, it should work in unison, but you do need to modify their own connectors, this is somewhat old news. HDMI and Component are not far removed in terms of quality. HDMI allows for the same HD signals as HD Component and DVI can deliver, but allowing for audio and protection of HD content as well.

Remove the casing surrounding the interconnect (which is proprietary I believe, but used on third party connectors as well, which maybe easier to modify, the reason for this is most people open up that connector space for HDMI as a video out, and the standard AV to supply an Optical Toslink to their stereo receiver

I'm, playing using component now. You werecompletely right, not much difference, maybe a bit sharper on HDMI, but I reckon I'm seeing things that aren't there. Thanks for the information Slamman, very helpful. icon14.gif

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:12 AM Edited by Slamman, 27 April 2012 - 12:33 AM.

Well, Component is one of the oldest, DVI is more associated with computers, and perhaps HDMI is the best cabling at present. Look into mods for the Xbox cable, If you mod it, you may prefer not getting extensive damage to it's design but it's really a user initiated mod to get around it's basic ham-fisted design.

I see this, since I didn't modify mine, it looks like it will only allow the Toslink, and the video needs a splitter to do it, but that should be available as well, I'm able to use an HDMI to DVI cable in both ways, so if I have a DVI display and HDMI out, I can get a video signal, or I convert from a DVI computer card to HDMI TV, I can go that route, I wasn't personally sure if an HDMI to HDMI and AV XBox cable to Component HD could work in unison as purchased (the converting cable mentioned above will not carry any audio signal, that's the major downside, it's HDMI with no digital audio stream because the DVI won't support it)

Quote from 2008 forum query;
"It doesn't work. At least not on my setup. I have a Component cable that I modified to fit in the 360 next to the HDMI cable. I have to use that for Optical Audio out since my HDMI gets converted to DVI for my PJ. Anyways, there is no video signal coming from the component cables.

You'll be forced to do as I. Either get an HDMI splitter and split that signal, a componet splitter and split that signal, or buy a 2nd xbox. I'm getting an HMDI splitter.

-xhonzi"

The same guy tested this later, he says the HDMI addition to Xbox 360s DOES OVER-RIDE the component or any AV outputted video signal

One guy links to this amazing dude again! Worth looking over his console to laptop designs!

http://benheck.com/1.../comment-page-1

Domeux
  • Domeux

King of the Craic

• Members

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:50 PM

Checked out that guy's blog. Very good read. Gonna try and set it up like that if possible.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:48 PM

If you're noticing that much of a different between component and HDMI then it's either a problem with the cable or the TV.
You said you have an HD PVR, what does that mean exactly? What make and model?

Domeux
  • Domeux

King of the Craic

• Members

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE (Wolf68k @ Friday, Apr 27 2012, 16:48)
If you're noticing that much of a different between component and HDMI then it's either a problem with the cable or the TV.

The cables a 2 year old one that came with the Xbox 360...maybe the cause???

Haupaugge HD PVR

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:48 PM Edited by Slamman, 27 April 2012 - 05:52 PM.

I was going over the Heck links, interesting to note the one pin that effectively determines the connection, and that it can be defeated.
In my earliest knowledge of the video outs, I assumed using more then one at a time naturally weakens the signal, this can happen with optical audio splitters too, I do believe, I'm not entirely sure, but I do own one of those, via Radio Shack

Here's what a general PVR search will turn up, it helps if you have a year and model for yours

http://www.google.co...iw=1015&bih=566

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE (Domeux @ Friday, Apr 27 2012, 10:51)

Haupaugge HD PVR

Not so much the age but how well they are made is on factor. I've never heard of anyone complain about the original component cables, not that I follow the XBox 360 that closely.
Also how they have been treated. If you never used them since you got the console and kept them in the original box, then either you got "lucky" with a bad set or it's the TV.
When you said you noticed a difference, how much of a difference really? I mean was it a widely noticeable difference, like very grainy or mystery scrolling lines or something like that. Or was the colors off, not a bright or contrast was off. If it was the colors/brightness/contrast did you try adjusting them at all? Some TVs when you said the color and brightness for one input it's just for that one input so you have to adjust for each one. Some do it in groups like if you have 2 or more HDMI you only need to adjust it on 1 of the HDMI ports while the components are their own and so on.

Haupaugge is good. I usually hear good things about them. Now is this a PCI card or an external device?
If it's this unit: http://www.hauppauge...data_hdpvr.html then yeah just use that. Just connect the Xbox to that and the TV to it and play while watching on the TV but the PC will do the recording.

Domeux
  • Domeux

King of the Craic

• Members

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:19 PM

QUOTE (Wolf68k @ Friday, Apr 27 2012, 22:00)
QUOTE (Domeux @ Friday, Apr 27 2012, 10:51)

Haupaugge HD PVR

Not so much the age but how well they are made is on factor. I've never heard of anyone complain about the original component cables, not that I follow the XBox 360 that closely.
Also how they have been treated. If you never used them since you got the console and kept them in the original box, then either you got "lucky" with a bad set or it's the TV.
When you said you noticed a difference, how much of a difference really? I mean was it a widely noticeable difference, like very grainy or mystery scrolling lines or something like that. Or was the colors off, not a bright or contrast was off. If it was the colors/brightness/contrast did you try adjusting them at all? Some TVs when you said the color and brightness for one input it's just for that one input so you have to adjust for each one. Some do it in groups like if you have 2 or more HDMI you only need to adjust it on 1 of the HDMI ports while the components are their own and so on.

Haupaugge is good. I usually hear good things about them. Now is this a PCI card or an external device?
If it's this unit: http://www.hauppauge...data_hdpvr.html then yeah just use that. Just connect the Xbox to that and the TV to it and play while watching on the TV but the PC will do the recording.

The cables actually came with an older xbox now that I think about it, 'bout 4+ years old plus my TV is about eight months old.

The difference I can see is that the contrast and colours are different plus there is a slight blur. As I said, I notice these things cryani.gif

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:21 AM

As an aside, I use Firewire for cam to PC / laptop capture, without need of a card as you know, The video preview displays as it captures in real-time, but it never looks QUITE as good as the LCD of the camera, there's noticed breakup at times when pans and high speed camera moves come about. One of the advances in Windows should do away with tearing and breaks in video as you move a display pane around a desktop viewing area, this is one way of testing how good your system is! haha

Domeux
  • Domeux

King of the Craic

• Members

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:49 AM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Saturday, Apr 28 2012, 00:21)
As an aside, I use Firewire for cam to PC / laptop capture, without need of a card as you know, The video preview displays as it captures in real-time, but it never looks QUITE as good as the LCD of the camera, there's noticed breakup at times when pans and high speed camera moves come about. One of the advances in Windows should do away with tearing and breaks in video as you move a display pane around a desktop viewing area, this is one way of testing how good your system is! haha

I paid over 600 for, "My Precious" computer, it's a beast. Handles capture card/PVR superbly.

YankeesPwnMets
  • YankeesPwnMets

More Betterer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:04 AM

Just FYI, you'll need a fairly decent sized HDD for gameplay recording

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:37 AM

Recording from my JVC cam, the capacity is 30GB, that's for Mpeg2 files as MOD, JVC's file type Mpegs
For HD recording, a video I linked showed how to upgrade an HD Sony using 120GB which is recommended as the high end, If you go with 80 to 1Terabyte sizes, you'll be rather fine I think. I bought an external used that was two 250GB desktop drives paired in array

Domeux
  • Domeux

King of the Craic

• Members

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE (YankeesPwnMets @ Saturday, Apr 28 2012, 02:04)
Just FYI, you'll need a fairly decent sized HDD for gameplay recording

I know yeah, I've been recording lots of stuff for ages with my HD PVR (Haupaugge), I only started this topic to question about HDMI recorders without having to build them in to my computer, but the all seem to need a 3.0 usb port which mine don't have.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE (Domeux @ Friday, Apr 27 2012, 17:19)
The cables actually came with an older xbox now that I think about it, 'bout 4+ years old plus my TV is about eight months old.

The difference I can see is that the contrast and colours are different plus there is a slight blur. As I said, I notice these things cryani.gif

In that case try getting new cables.
For what you're doing and the device you have, USB2.0 is enough.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:36 PM Edited by Slamman, 02 May 2012 - 12:19 AM.

To test cables, flex them the length of the cable from connector to display and see if anything is jumping out at you.

Just picked up a MS Xbox360 dongle for audio, I suspected there might be one, it allows you access to the lower HDMI and the AV port, with a streamlined casing, the dongle header has Red and White STEREO analog and a Toslink port for optical, so you have the best of both, hopefully. I found mine at the pawn shop for $3 USD!! Can't beat that I'd wager!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users