Photo

Should I risk with IV again?

6 replies to this topic
Stardrone
  • Stardrone

Lux Aeterna

• Members

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:31 PM

My specs are in my signature. Before having this GTS430, I had a nVidia 8500GT which got overheated or something while I was playing GTA IV. The game was loading when suddenly a black screen appeared and I had to reset the PC, and after the boot screen, everything was on 800x600 and 8-bit colours. The PC stopped recognizing my video card and has only used the onboard one. Anyway, I bought this new video card, which I KNOW it's not a gaming-designed card, but I can get 28 FPS on a 1280x1024 resolution (native resolution for my monitor). My concern is that this card may also overheat unexpectedly and I don't want to burn another card again. I have no program to monitor GPU temperature in-game, so I want to know if it's okay to continue playing GTA IV or I might risk burning the card again?

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Catch a ride!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:40 PM

You should be able play GTA IV ok on that computer. If you have the game still just re-install it and try it. You mentioned overheating with your old card. This could be caused by bad air flow but a lot of old lower end cards have bad cooling. Download HWMonitor to check your graphics card temperatures. It's a very small program and just requires an unzip to install wink.gif

http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Prometheus
  • Prometheus

• None

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:41 PM

How are the temps? Download RealTempGT and check the GPU temp there.

nvm. Use i_l's one. smile.gif

Stardrone
  • Stardrone

Lux Aeterna

• Members

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

I don't have IV installed yet, but I'll do it tomorrow and I'll let you guys know about the temperature before and after gameplay. Thanks for the links wink.gif

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:01 PM

Use furmark and see what kind of temps you hit under heavy load

http://www.sevenforu...mark.html?ltr=V

Anything below 80C is ok, anything below 70C is great.

unc13bud
  • unc13bud

Die Hoodrat DIE!!!

• Members

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:04 PM

original poster, post a picture of your computer and its insides.

Stardrone
  • Stardrone

Lux Aeterna

• Members

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:09 AM

I ran the game for 3 hours and then I checked HW Monitor, and I got 58 Celsius, so I guess that's ok, isn't it? CPU usage in benchmarks is 98%, but idk if that's good or not. I get 29 average FPS, ranging from 40 during the day and 22 during the night (even with night shadows off). Thanks for your replies!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users