Vista UAC Problem

11 replies to this topic
GTAIndonesia
  • GTAIndonesia

Gone

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:52 PM

So uh.....

I didn't checked the User Account Control box, but when i do stuff the Laptop still prompts the "Allow blah blah blah" When i checked the box and clicked OK, and go back to the window where we can turn UAC on or off, it's still not checked.

Any suggestions.

Prometheus
  • Prometheus

• None

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:57 PM

Use this useful thing. smile.gif

Add "Take Ownership" to Explorer Right-Click Menu

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:12 PM

Run a virus and spyware scan. That is likely the cause.
If you do find anything make sure you also disable System Restore which should help to flush out where the virus can be hiding.
You might have to scan and remove the virus while in Safe Mode.

@PrometheusX
UAC has nothing with file/folder ownership

Prometheus
  • Prometheus

• None

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:19 PM

QUOTE (Wolf68k @ Tuesday, Apr 24 2012, 18:12)
Run a virus and spyware scan. That is likely the cause.
If you do find anything make sure you also disable System Restore which should help to flush out where the virus can be hiding.
You might have to scan and remove the virus while in Safe Mode.

@PrometheusX

Oh, I thought he had a problem with access.

Anyways I searched about the problem and some said that the only solution is formatting, while others said that a recently installed program caused the problem. So OP, please post any programs that you have installed already too. smile.gif

SyphonPayne
  • SyphonPayne

E FOR EFFORT!!!

• Members

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:56 PM

Yep. Sounds virus related, or something. If it were me I'd run Spybot, Malwarebytes, AVG, SuperAntiSpyware, HouseCall to see what's going on. If it's virus related, I'd reformat. Hell even if it isn't I probably would, as there is something wrong with your Vista installation. Did you try turning UAC "on" then back off?

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:06 AM Edited by Slamman, 26 April 2012 - 03:11 AM.

I use it, on the one drive I enabled it, it's seemingly working but the AV software points it out in the right task bar as being a security threat, but since you enable it, hopefully you're aware it's set that way, I didn't have a problem enabling it
You can right click anything to run as Administrator and it should do the same thing. I was really rather confused by this when I got Vista! haha

"@PrometheusX

Oh, I thought he had a problem with access"
They are both VERY worthy of mention, since it's what I thought was a problem getting files to run with permissions initially. Right clicking on anything is not a real bother actually, so adding things there is useful (to the Context Menu)

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:45 AM

UAC has nothing to do with being able to run a program as Administrator.

You used what on a drive? You can't enable UAC for one drive and not another. It has nothing to do with the drive. UAC is about protecting the operating system.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:29 AM

Yes you can, it covers one full OS install, ie. Drive C the defacto one, I did have confusion as I stated, but I run one of my Vistas without the UAC

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:28 PM

You're not getting it. UAC is for the OS not a drive. If you have 2 drives installed and both are accessed by the same OS you can't disable UAC for 1 drive but leave it enabled for the other.
UAC cannot be drive specific.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:33 PM Edited by Slamman, 26 April 2012 - 05:43 PM.

I'm referring to a drive having one OS allocated, I get it.

Mine are not partitioned into sharing different OSes, I have three drives for one laptop, two with Vista, one with XP at present. If you have a laptop with two HDDs physically, you're typically optioned with the booting process, I can see where on a desktop you will be using more then one in the daisy-chain scheme, as I label it, this is somewhat akin to a RAID but RAID has 5 types IIRC, so it's not the same as sharing two NTSC drives under a boot drive, as I would do to move and manipulate files. I did encounter problems with the Permissions so that's what I was driving at earlier, all stemming from the KSOD issue within Vista

Some tutorials in regard to this specific to the thread title, hoping they help to a degree

Someone made a YT Playlist for all the KSOD videos, at least that they gathered together, if you use Vista, make note of the various methods for correction, at worst, you'll reformat as I did and relabel your old Windows rather then write over that part of the HDD

http://www.youtube.c.....sod, playlist

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

Yes, in that case if you have 2 drives each either their own install of Vista/7 then you can enable UAC within 1 OS and not the other. That however is not how you were originally making it sound and also not what I was talking about.
The laptop you mentioned with the 2 drives. Drive 1 with Vista/7 and UAC enabled. Drive 2 with Vista/7 but with UAV disabled. That's fine. However if drive1 is the boot drive and can access the programs on drive2, then any program that gets started from drive2 will still be affected by the UAC because drive1 is the OS drive. Now when drive2 is the boot drive then any programs running from drive1 will not have UAC kicking in because drive2 has UAC disabled.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:08 PM Edited by Slamman, 27 April 2012 - 05:54 PM.

My examples are pretty much common with my own Vista or just computer use, so it's often when someone's just describing their own unique find/experience that we relate it ineffectively. At this point, hopefully the OP can apprise on his situation so we don't go too far off track.

Let me throw in a semi-related query, On this XP formatted drive I'm on, unlike others, I have to add to file name changes with ".BMP, .JPG, .MOD, .MPG" appended to every file I modify, I dislike this practice, but I'm not really sure why it's even doing it

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users