Quantcast

» «
Photo

.COL boxes used on LOD objects

8 replies to this topic
BLlTZ
  • BLlTZ

Typical behaviour for someone with your condition.

• Members
  • None
  • Best Texture/Model 2013 "SRt3 2012 Mipmap Edition"

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:54 PM

I really not sure what I'm going to say will make sense but here it goes:

I'm trying to transform a normal object into LOD without adding or attaching any LOD with IDEs and IPLs, COL etc, to this object. I notice one thing about their collision objects with COL Editor II when I set them up as LODs. Some of them have boxes and these maintain them to be solid, if I'm right, but some of them actually don't work and I get through these objects with CJ, cars, planes even so they have boxes, even after I added new boxes in the specific .COL.

Why some of them work and others don't. Do I need to make some settings through the IDE & IPL and I don't know.

I run out of ideas. :-?

ZAZ
  • ZAZ

Kernlochbohrer

• Feroci
  • European-Union

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE (-BLITZ- @ Monday, Apr 23 2012, 20:54)
I really not sure what I'm going to say will make sense but here it goes:

I'm trying to transform a normal object into LOD without adding or attaching any LOD with IDEs and IPLs, COL etc, to this object. I notice one thing about their collision objects with COL Editor II when I set them up as LODs. Some of them have boxes and these maintain them to be solid, if I'm right, but some of them actually don't work and I get through these objects with CJ, cars, planes even so they have boxes, even after I added new boxes in the specific .COL.

Why some of them work and others don't. Do I need to make some settings through the IDE & IPL and I don't know.

I run out of ideas. :-?

IDE haven't any effect to col
IPL only in this way we talked about, linking normal model to lodmodel

which object did you transform into LOD which have the problem?
in which way did you made the colmodel?
please post a screeshot where we can see the model in coleditorII, editmode selected, the whole model selected and where we can see then the size and position coords

i make my colmodels in this way: have the normal model in 3dmax and export it as *.3ds file with 3dmax export function, open coleditor and add it as *.3ds
another way: Use kams max script: Collisions IO, select model, insert model name above of export button, click on Collisions Mesh button, click on model, click on export button

I sometime had failures where the colmodel was not at same center as the dff model, i could see this in MEd
it happend allways with models which i created from new
i fixed it in this way: i imported a sa dff model, attached my new model to the imported dff model and deleted then the mesh of the imported dff model
so my new model got the proper center

maybe your colmodel haven't a proper center, check it out in MEd, select the object, the red border shows then the position of the colmodel

another reason could be that your colmodel is to small

BLlTZ
  • BLlTZ

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

Good to see you again,

The short story is related to game trees by making LODs to them. Some of them didn't require any LODs because after I changed their settings from 150 to 1500 they work very well including their collision.

This will be a twist so I hope you understand what I try accomplished, if you may not I will show some screens. If you say IDE doesn't have anything to do, now I think that maybe STREAM.IPL has something to do, because all the trees I changed are having their coordinates inside the STREAM.
Now, Data/maps.IPL, couple of them do contains some IPL lines from some trees, but these trees if I set them as LOD I go through them, where on the other hand, the others are solid.

So it is possible that what is inside STREAM.IPL to make everything solid and what is in normal IPL are not solid objects. I made a reference towards boxes from .COL because actually most of the trees are having only one box, but others have faces and no box, and indeed I can go through these trees, but I came to say that those that actually have box only are those that are related to STREAM.IPL and those that don't even if they have box, I go through them. A little complicated, hope to make sense. confused.gif

Because I manage to bring about 60% of trees in LOD after I hit the game limits, already using Alci's as support, I want to bring those trees that are left in normal IPLs in LOD view to add a little more and to not just leave these trees like that, but I can't because I go through them. I hit the game limit because all I had to do is to bring those IPL-STREAM-tree-lines in maps/limit in order to see LOD as they don't work in STREAM and we know already that. Even If I hit the game limit of adding too many IPLs, these trees are already inside the normal IPL so nothing else is to do than make them as LOD but I explained the reason above.

Actually, now I have an idea, if those trees that are working that are inside STREAM, then I will try to move them in STREAM, delete those from maps.IPL and see if they will be solid.

I don't know if this is right, but I can't find the source answer, why some work and some don't, that's why I hit the wall.

About what you wrote, I did that ones with Vice City on that Clothing Shop that it was blocking me and everyone from getting the T-shirt. So I took the .dff and export it as .COL and it actually worked and all of this was made from a random idea. I will try with the trees too.

And thank you again for the help on the other thread I made, because I manage to add 300 new objects into the game without .COL cool.gif
Runs, like a charm.

ZAZ
  • ZAZ

Kernlochbohrer

• Feroci
  • European-Union

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:12 PM

the LOD tree groupes have an empty col (i just checked these of vegepart.ide, id 783 - 788)
though they are linked by normal trees of stream ipl
it's possible to place them without any corresponding object
empty col means: only a border, nothing solid
important is only that a col file exist
i'm wondering what you meant with "Some of them have boxes", so i asked for a screeshot
i assume that you checked LOD tree groupes ingame which are placed without any corresponding object and could walk through them
and you had collision by tree groupes where normal trees are placed with corresponding LOD trees

BLlTZ
  • BLlTZ

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

How I thought and I can't belive is actually working. So I took one IPL line from a tree and made a copy-paste into Sfw_stream0.ipl and now the tree now is solid and I can't go through it. Now I just need to copy all the tree lines and install them in their streams and success.

user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image

I have no idea why the game is acting like this, but for me is the most positive news I could have right now. Is working, I don't need to worry, all I have to hope is that I will not hit any stream limit.

Related to "some of them have boxes", I meant that some trees in SA if you check them with COL Editor II, around 20% of them are with faces and spheres, but the rest are having only box. If you open vegepart.col you will see.

Thank you again for opening my mind again, ZAZ smile.gif

i assume that you checked LOD tree groupes ingame which are placed without any corresponding object and could walk through them

Sure, I know but two of them are already used in-game for Country, pine trees and the other LOD trees that aren't used in the game and I really don't know why R* left them there like that, are now used by Project Oblivion. That's why I can't change them, it will mess up with this mod.

ZAZ
  • ZAZ

Kernlochbohrer

• Feroci
  • European-Union

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:12 PM

Nice founding -BLITZ-, i checked the tree of your screenshot, 713, veg_bevtree1 and increased the drawdistance to 600, then it was unsolid
makes sense, to block col for lods but to make it solid if placed in stream ipl is really fascinating
i also tested a buildig with col faces but it was still solid

BLlTZ
  • BLlTZ

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:43 AM

Please don't tell me that everything we talked until now is something new, that will be interesting. biggrin.gif

Can you give me the building name, ZAZ. I want to try it too. If this will work on buildings I could just erase all the LOD and use only the normals. I wonder if the game will run much better, plus with all the free space from LOD I could actually bring what's left of the trees. smile.gif

This is fascinating indeed.

Jestic
  • Jestic

Chris

• Feroci
  • Netherlands

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

Blitz, isn't there simply a col distance limit for objects in the root ipl files? In IV this number is 300, if you put in 301 or more, the col doesn't load at all. The cols from objects in stream always load.

ZAZ
  • ZAZ

Kernlochbohrer

• Feroci
  • European-Union

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE (-BLITZ- @ Wednesday, Apr 25 2012, 10:43)
Please don't tell me that everything we talked until now is something new, that will be interesting.  biggrin.gif

Can you give me the building name, ZAZ. I want to try it too. If this will work on buildings I could just erase all the LOD and use only the normals. I wonder if the game will run much better, plus with all the free space from LOD I could actually bring what's left of the trees.  smile.gif

This is fascinating indeed.

Hell no, it was to late yesterday. The building which i tested is placed in stream ipl: 9904, pier69_models04
I did it again with 5472, frecrsbrid_LAE of LAe.ide/ipl and this one was unsolid with drawdistance 600

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users