12 replies to this topic
winme05
  • winme05

Ignore username. It's ATOS Productions.

• Members

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:09 PM

Around the web, I have found some info on cancelled GTA III ports:

alien.gif The Dreamcast port:
Though there has been many discussions about this, I'll post this anyway.
I've read somewhere that the Dreamcast port was cancelled because of looking too cartoonish, but I don't think that would be the problem, because it was a 6th-gen game console, and a competitor for PS2. What do you think?

ph34r.gif The Gamecube port:
Also, seen on the net, but cancelled. Maybe 'cuz of GC not being that popular console?

wow.gif The PS1/PSX port:
In some gaming magazines, I have seen discussions of this, not sure if R* actually worked on this. It should be possible - Driver 2 has graphics almost as good as the PS2 GTA III!

notify.gif The GBA port:
It's known that a top-down version of GTA 3 was planned, but cancelled. Any ideas, why?

cool.gif The last question: LEAK!
Has any of these ports have been leaked? If yes, can they be found anywhere for download?
  • SpeedMaster14 likes this

gta_rulez
  • gta_rulez

Rockster Noord

• Members

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

QUOTE (winme05 @ Monday, Apr 23 2012, 16:09)
Around the web, I have found some info on cancelled GTA III ports:

alien.gif The Dreamcast port:
    Though there has been many discussions about this, I'll post this anyway.
I've read somewhere that the Dreamcast port was cancelled because of looking too cartoonish, but I don't think that would be the problem, because it was a 6th-gen game console, and a competitor for PS2. What do you think?

The Dreamcast was a pretty good console. I have no idea why they didn't release GTA III on it.

ph34r.gif The Gamecube port:
      Also, seen on the net, but cancelled. Maybe 'cuz of GC not being that popular console?

Probably too weak to handle the game.

In some gaming magazines, I have seen discussions of this, not sure if R* actually worked on this. It should be possible - Driver 2 has graphics almost as good as the PS2 GTA III!

No it doesn't. Driver 2 has awful graphics compared to GTA III. Pretty good for a PSX game though.

notify.gif The GBA port:
      It's known that a top-down version of GTA 3 was planned, but cancelled. Any ideas, why?

GTA Advance, released in 2004, same day as San Andreas.

My 2 cents.

xoin
  • xoin

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:19 PM

The Gamecube was more powerful than the PS2 and I think Xbox, the only thing that made it look bad is that it had to be all crammed on a mini-disc.

It was probably never ported to it because everyone and there dog already owned a PS2.

thatstupidbug
  • thatstupidbug

Prankster

• Members

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

QUOTE (winme05 @ Monday, Apr 23 2012, 17:09)
cool.gif The last question: LEAK!
Has any of these ports have been leaked? If yes, can they be found anywhere for download?

not a download, but i remebrer a cover for GTA III on gba

user posted image

don't know if it's a fake

winme05
  • winme05

• Members

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:05 PM

QUOTE (thatstupidbug @ Monday, Apr 23 2012, 20:17)
QUOTE (winme05 @ Monday, Apr 23 2012, 17:09)
cool.gif   The last question: LEAK!

not a download, but i remebrer a cover for GTA III on gba

user posted image

don't know if it's a fake

Have seen the same thing around the web, don't think it's fake.
BTW, the stencil-style text ''Grand Theft Auto 3'' was planned instead of the Pricedown font at some stage of development.

Tony.
  • Tony.

I don't agree with that in the workplace

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:00 AM Edited by Claude94, 26 April 2012 - 03:03 AM.

If this Wikipedia entry and this Grand Theft Wiki entry are to be believed, then GTA Advance was originally supposed to be the GBA port to GTA III before they decided to just make it its own separate game. I could believe that, but I don't think that box art is legitimate. It looks a little too amateur for a game cover, even for a cheap GBA port.

Nem Wan
  • Nem Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

What really kills it is there's no way they would have used a screenshot from GTA III on the cover of a game with completely different graphics. People understand that illustration-style GTA cover art is not what the game looks like but something like this would have been misrepresentation.

ccrogers15
  • ccrogers15

REQUESTED BAN

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:07 AM

DREAMCAST:

Cancelled for no reason.

GAMECUBE:
Cancelled due to the games violence.

PS1 Port:

Never was to happen due to it coming to then next gen consoles.

GAMEBOY:

Cancelled and made into Grand Theft Auto Advance.

dro0001
  • dro0001

Fo Shizzle

• Members

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:30 PM

PSX, maybe early concept, remember Dan said in an interview that the GTA 2 developers started making GTA 3 and then transferred the game to a new team that knew how to make 3d games.

winme05
  • winme05

• Members

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:33 AM

Okkkkkkkay so nothing new ? I'll throw something in.

The PSp port

I am not sure if Rock*Star ever planned this, but anyway - with this many PS2 games ported to PSp, why wasn't the GTA III ported? Maybe they originally planned a port but then, as with GTA Advance, made a seperate game - GTA LCS?

dro0001
  • dro0001

Fo Shizzle

• Members

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:29 AM

QUOTE (winme05 @ Monday, Apr 23 2012, 16:09)

Driver 2 having simmilar graphics to GTA 3, Are you blind!!!!!! lol.gif

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:59 AM Edited by nkjellman, 17 May 2012 - 01:02 AM.

QUOTE (xoin @ Monday, Apr 23 2012, 19:19)
The Gamecube was more powerful than the PS2 and I think Xbox, the only thing that made it look bad is that it had to be all crammed on a mini-disc.

It was probably never ported to it because everyone and there dog already owned a PS2.

Game Cube was the least powerful. PS2 was in the middle, and Xbox was the most powerful. However the GC was Nintendo's last console that was about as powerful as its competitors at the time.

Also Driver 2's graphics were way worse than III's graphics. However III still had bad graphics compared to other PS2 games.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:04 AM

PS2 was the least powerful from the consoles of previous generation, GC was in the middle and xbox was as powerful as the two of them combined together.

Gamecube port was cancelled or was never intended to be, because of Nintendo's policy about brutal and controversial games and probably because of Nintendo's usage of mini dvds, which have smaller capacity (about 1,5 Gb).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users