Photo

Catastrophic Failure Windows 7

10 replies to this topic
puudleduudle
  • puudleduudle

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:09 AM

I've looked all over the place, especially on this forum, and have found no actual help. Just people talking about it.

So, here's the problem:
I've ran it without an anti-virus or UAC preventing the installation from being successful, checked the disk to find a corrupted file and came out with no corruption, cleaned the disk, and basically any other essential thing mentioned.
All of the topics on this are years old that I've found, so I was wondering if anyone has a fix for it yet. It's disk 2 by the way that's doing it. Whenever I insert it, let it load, and then continue the installation, it'll immediately give me the error.

What do I do?

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:14 AM

If the disk is being unreadable, what do you think you can do about that?
a) get a new game DVD
b) try to read the existing DVD in some other DVD reader

GTAIV DVDs seem to be of bad quality. Sometimes you can copy disks manually, so try that. Copy all files from both DVDs to a folder on your HDD and then install from there.

unc13bud
  • unc13bud

Weekend Answerer

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:31 AM

sometimes i have found that pressing on the front of the dvdrom/dvdrw helps with reading the disc properly. also, don't let the disc load. insert disk and click ok immediately. you have to fool the computer sometimes, this is regarding regular use whatever.

puudleduudle
  • puudleduudle

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:12 PM Edited by puudleduudle, 23 April 2012 - 07:49 PM.

Any of other suggestions? I really don't want to go through the trouble of exchanging with Wal Mart over a CD that isn't corrupted.
I temporarily uninstalled my anti-virus and such, gonna try it like that. Safe mode didn't work. I tried with the files taken off the CD. :L

Might end up calling Rockstar. Hopefully they'll be helpful.

Windows 7 added a new service pack called "windows 7", I might try that if the anti-virus un-installation doesn't work. I really want to try this on my PC. cryani.gif

Update:
I decided to make a folder with just the files, so it didn't prompt me for a CD2 or a file with data3.cab, it just found it, but once it gets to that .cab file, it gets the error. How is it possible that this is giving me the error, but nothing is telling me it's corrupt?

Update 2:
I let the installer run with nothing in the background running (like browsers). When it got to Speech.rpf, it sat there a while, the blue bar showed some progress, then I got the error. Is there some way to bypass this one file and I can just mod is later?

I also ran CDcheck on the .cab file by itself. No errors.

I'll keep trying different things until I get a reply. I'm dedicated to playing this game. rampage_ani.gif

YankeesPwnMets
  • YankeesPwnMets

More Betterer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:03 PM

Just FYI, you got 90 days to return the game if you have a reciept and 45 if you don't. If it is close to the 90 period, I'd just return it before you are stuck with a piece of garbage.

If your Internet is fast enough, return the game and use the refunded money to buy it on Steam. No lost keys, no lost disc, no damaged disks, etc.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:10 PM

That 90 days figure will vary greatly on the country he purchased the game in.

puudleduudle
  • puudleduudle

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:06 PM

It's America. I have like, 86 more days..
That's enough time for me to realize that I just need a replacement.

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:54 PM

QUOTE (YankeesPwnMets @ Monday, Apr 23 2012, 16:03)
Just FYI, you got 90 days to return the game if you have a reciept and 45 if you don't. If it is close to the 90 period, I'd just return it before you are stuck with a piece of garbage.

If your Internet is fast enough, return the game and use the refunded money to buy it on Steam. No lost keys, no lost disc, no damaged disks, etc.

That would depend on what store you bought it at, as some stores(I know Wal-Mart is this way), is, you only have 15 days on PC software and accessories/PC's. Just a heads up. tounge2.gif

But, yeah, if it's a faulty disc, then the only thing to really do, is get a new copy of the game..luckily, it is less than $14 now a days, so it is dirt cheap to replace...

puudleduudle
  • puudleduudle

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:04 AM

QUOTE (radioman @ Monday, Apr 23 2012, 23:54)
QUOTE (YankeesPwnMets @ Monday, Apr 23 2012, 16:03)

That would depend on what store you bought it at, as some stores(I know Wal-Mart is this way), is, you only have 15 days on PC software and accessories/PC's. Just a heads up. tounge2.gif

But, yeah, if it's a faulty disc, then the only thing to really do, is get a new copy of the game..luckily, it is less than $14 now a days, so it is dirt cheap to replace...

Yeah, I just went and exchanged it. I bought it because it was so damn cheap, my computer would make it look better, and I could mod it if I wanted. I already had it for years now on PS3.

cody88
  • cody88

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:04 AM

i have windows 7 prem n im trying to install gta4 n im getting this stupid catastrophic failure bs i need help its when i put the 2nd disc in im getting angry i wanna play it n it wont let me -_-

Prometheus
  • Prometheus

• None

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

Sounds like either you don't have enough space your DVD drive is faulty. Make sure there's enough space in your HDD, and try copying the DVD contents into one folder then installing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users