Photo

A.D.H.D.

49 replies to this topic
lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:35 AM Edited by lil weasel, 23 April 2012 - 12:37 AM.

Often fails to pay close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork or other activities
Often has trouble sustaining attention during tasks or play
Seems not to listen even when spoken to directly
Has difficulty following through on instructions and often fails to finish schoolwork, chores or other tasks
Often has problems organizing tasks or activities
Avoids or dislikes tasks that require sustained mental effort, such as schoolwork or homework
Frequently loses needed items, such as books, pencils, toys or tools
Can be easily distracted
Often forgetful
Fidgets or squirms frequently
Often leaves his or her seat in the classroom or in other situations when remaining seated is expected
Often runs or climbs excessively when it's not appropriate or, if an adolescent, might constantly feel restless
Frequently has difficulty playing quietly
Always seems on the go
Talks excessively
Blurts out the answers before questions have been completely asked
Frequently has difficulty waiting for his or her turn
Often interrupts or intrudes on others' conversations or games

These used to be simple definitions of childhood.
When did the Educatioon system give up?
When did the Drug companies get the edge in?
(Shades of the Brave New World) Don't Psychiatrists make enough money off their "science"?

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:40 AM

ADHD is a serious disorder and while I don't like the way you're making a joke out of it, I can agree that it is perhaps over-diagnosed in some people. If you've ever met someone with either disorder, you'd probably realize that you're wrong. The kids who are given a serious workup of the disorder 99% of the time probably actually have it. Infact, a kid in my dorm was actually diagnosed with it at age 19. So really, acting as if it's normal in all kids or whatever is just plain ignorant on your part.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:43 AM

it's all about selling drugs.

the pharmaceutical industry is one of the single largest lobbying groups on Cap Hill.
pharmaceutical drugs cost literally pennies to make but they can charge 15-20 bucks or more per-pill on the prescription, marking the sh*t up over 1000%.

ADHD is just the latest, most visible scam. it's a real thing but WAAAAAAAAAY over diagnosed.
it all goes back to Prozac and anti-depressants.

this is why the pharma lobbyists (along with big tobacco and alcohol) push so hard to keep marijuana illegal.
they need to hold their monopoly on feel-good drugs.

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:49 AM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Sunday, Apr 22 2012, 19:43)
it's all about selling drugs.

the pharmaceutical industry is one of the single largest lobbying groups on Cap Hill.
pharmaceutical drugs cost literally pennies to make but they can charge 15-20 bucks or more per-pill on the prescription, marking the sh*t up over 1000%.

ADHD is just the latest, most visible scam. it's a real thing but WAAAAAAAAAY over diagnosed.
it all goes back to Prozac and anti-depressants.

this is why the pharma lobbyists (along with big tobacco and alcohol) push so hard to keep marijuana illegal.
they need to hold their monopoly on feel-good drugs.

It is a real thing and yes, way overdiagnosed, but I have a younger cousin with it and it really aggravates me when people just run around ignorantly calling it a "scam" or whatever else. As I said, if a kid is taken to someone who actually knows what they are doing and gives a proper workup, it's probably not misdiagnosed.

stu
  • stu

I drink it up

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • European-Union

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:52 AM

Well said Irviding. It is a real condition, and too many people dismiss it. Just because it's a relatively new thing that's been diagnosed and discovered doesn't make it any less of a legitimate condition. Mental illness has too much stigmatism surrounding it, not just things like ADHD, but in general as well.

AlexGTAGamer
  • AlexGTAGamer

Time flies when you throw a clock.

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:53 AM

I know quite a few people who have ADHD, and I can tell that they do have it and that they are not pulling everyone's leg.

I also agree that it is way over diagnosed.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:05 AM

I am not Joking nor making a Joke of it.
When Doctors and Lawyers get together to make a illness, we have a situation.
Insurance companies pay a lot to these people.
When 'millions' of kids have something that isn't a 'cold' you can't make light of it.
BUT, I still think that there is something wrong with that list of symptoms. Every kid should be on that list.
Those of you who say you know someone diagnosed with it (or its kin) sid down, put you chin in your hand, and take another close look.
What is it that that person actually is doing that makes the person ILL to the point of needing drugs?
If you didn't know, would you know?

Jeeebuuus
  • Jeeebuuus

AKA So-crates

• Members

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:16 AM

I have had attention problems since I was a kid and they said I was borderline ADD. I think it's just that I have an overactive imagination and I may overanalyze issues when I should be paying attention to what's being said in the moment. I think we can cure many of these symptoms but in order to do so we would have to collectively and somewhat radically change our outlook on health. That doesn't look like it's going to happen because, hey what's on t.v.?

AlexGTAGamer
  • AlexGTAGamer

Time flies when you throw a clock.

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:19 AM

You know that teenagers and children aren't the only ones who can get ADHD, adults can too.

On a side note though, many people may not actually have ADHD, instead they could really have another condition(s) like:
- Anxiety disorder
- Oppositional defiant disorder (ODD)
- Conduct disorder
- Depression
- Sleep problems
- Epilepsy
- Tourette's syndrome
- Learning difficulties/Dyslexia

vertical limit
  • vertical limit

When in doubt don't pull out.

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:20 AM

Big Pharma

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:22 AM

But the list of symptoms you gave are not exhaustive. While diagnosing a 4 year old with ADHD based on the above symptoms would be plain dumb, say I am 16 and I have those same symptoms. Psychiatrists have different symptoms to check for depending on the age, gender, etc.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:23 AM

QUOTE (Irviding @ Sunday, Apr 22 2012, 17:49)
it really aggravates me when people just run around ignorantly calling it a "scam" or whatever else.

but it is a scam.
as it exists right now, it's more about making money than proper treatment.

until they fix this, it's more scam than not.

Jeeebuuus
  • Jeeebuuus

AKA So-crates

• Members

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:27 AM

I think the reason the scam has gone on as long as it has is that your average person doesn't have the time or patience to find out more about this subject. It is probably for the best that we don't I mean we don't want to upset the lobbyists if we happen to find an alternative solution.

Chunkyman
  • Chunkyman

Foot Soldier

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:33 AM

A lot of parents pull the ADHD card to excuse the behavior of their kids. I'm sure many kids have a real mental issue, but probably 75% of people with this disease are misdiagnosed.

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:40 AM Edited by Irviding, 23 April 2012 - 01:43 AM.

QUOTE (Chunkyman @ Sunday, Apr 22 2012, 20:33)
A lot of parents pull the ADHD card to excuse the behavior of their kids. I'm sure many kids have a real mental issue, but probably 75% of people with this disease are misdiagnosed.

I call bullsh*t on that statistic.

While I agree that the way they treat ADHD is not the best way (i.e. taking a certain pill for the rest of your life in order to suppress it) is not the best way, it's completely wrong to come in here and act as if it's some bullsh*t scam made up and diagnosed to a bunch of kids in order to line pockets of the pharmaceutical industries. That's true of almost every drug out there nowadays. Lipitor, need it daily, crestor, etc all that sh*t doesn't actually fix the problem, it just deters it. While the other side argues, well that's because we don't know how to fix it, I accept that. I'm sure they truly don't know how to fix it. But with that said, more research and development should be going to trying to fix it and not just mitigate it for your lifetime. Unfortunately when the medical industry is privatized, that's the problem. Government run, top down system, and this problem is gone.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:43 AM

The List is “Not Exhaustive”. What is that saying? It already contains just about everything that child (or living adult) should have in a normal life.
This whole farce began when a teacher couldn’t contain the actions of a child who ran around the classroom. The inability of the school system to chastise a child without laying a belt across a bottom leads now to drugging entire generations. And when the child becomes an adult? When does it stop? Putting the drugs in the water supply?
Anybody read ‘Brave New World’?

Jeeebuuus
  • Jeeebuuus

AKA So-crates

• Members

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:55 AM

Been meaning to read brave new world for sometime now. I gather from what I've heard it has to do with mass apathy. I'm sure there is a lot more too it.

Since I am typing on an iPad I can't reply so fast and I wish I could go into further discussion because this topic is good and I would have alot too say. Unfortunately I'm also a little drunk.

Tyler
  • Tyler

It's you

• Unknown

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:00 AM

The current system of privatised pharmaceuticals doesn't at all equate to or look anything similar to the setting of Brave New World. What a bogus sentiment.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:17 AM

Referencing BNW for the mass drugging of the 'worker' class to keep them docile and exploited.

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:19 AM

QUOTE (lil weasel @ Sunday, Apr 22 2012, 20:43)
The List is “Not Exhaustive”. What is that saying? It already contains just about everything that child (or living adult) should have in a normal life.
This whole farce began when a teacher couldn’t contain the actions of a child who ran around the classroom. The inability of the school system to chastise a child without laying a belt across a bottom leads now to drugging entire generations. And when the child becomes an adult? When does it stop? Putting the drugs in the water supply?

It means that you listed not every symptom nor did you list every symptom for each age group. And are you seriously stating that corporal punishment works?

If a living adult has those symptoms by the way, there's a serious problem if you ask me.

Jeeebuuus
  • Jeeebuuus

AKA So-crates

• Members

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:29 AM

I can't remember which one of them said it but I'll paraphrase. Most people are smiling depressives. We put on our masks (persona) for everyone else to see. We hide our true feelings and views for the sake of security. Very true.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:49 AM

"And are you seriously stating that corporal punishment works?"
I'm not talking about chaining a person to a post and flogging with the cat. YES, on most (kids a swat on the butt) it would work but you're saying that everything on that list and the rest that I omitted consititute a Mental sickness that must be cured by chemicals.
I could puke with the reminders of how people were treated in to 40s and 50s for "Mental Illness". This chemical castration of the will isn't much better.
That list and its brothers contain such a wildly wide spectrum of symptoms that EVERYONE must be metally ILL. To drug 'millions' of kid and adults because they arn't performing according to specifications (like circus animals) is a very sick way of treating the civilization.

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:18 AM

But if they are diagnosed with a disorder and those drugs help treat that disorder and put them in line with the rest of the population, what is the problem?

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:25 AM

You can write off real ailments and fictionalized all you want, but don't assume difficulties don't exist from one person to the next, you'd be DEAD WRONG in that

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:31 AM

How many of the symptoms on the list must a candidate be subject to to require being drugged?
If their actions are contrary to current social norms should not the Government in its almighty wisdom supply those drugs free to the victims of the illness?
When does it stop? How will you know they are cured? Will they ever be cured?
Can 'Mental Illness' be cured?

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

amplifier worship

• Mongolia

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:34 AM

QUOTE (lil weasel @ Sunday, Apr 22 2012, 21:49)
"And are you seriously stating that corporal punishment works?"
I'm not talking about chaining a person to a post and flogging with the cat. YES, on most (kids a swat on the butt) it would work but you're saying that everything on that list and the rest that I omitted consititute a Mental sickness that must be cured by chemicals.
I could puke with the reminders of how people were treated in to 40s and 50s for "Mental Illness". This chemical castration of the will isn't much better.
That list and its brothers contain such a wildly wide spectrum of symptoms that EVERYONE must be metally ILL. To drug 'millions' of kid and adults because they arn't performing according to specifications (like circus animals) is a very sick way of treating the civilization.

What the f*ck are you talking about? Talk about hyperbolic bullsh*t. I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was 7. No, my medicine regiment never turned me into a bland, subservient zombie. What it did do was keep me focused throughout the day, and that's it. I didn't get tired - I took it all the way until I was 16 and had plenty of energy to play sports all year-round, I didn't get depressed, never had any side effects. When I stopped taking it, I noticed a clear difference in my focus, but I was able to learn to deal with it - kind of.

When I got to college, I started struggling with some of my classes. I started taking an adhd medicine specifically made for adults at the beginning of my third year, and went from the middle of the pack in my class to dean's list for the rest of my college career. The best part about that is my doctor gave me samples that lasted a few months. All I had to pay for was the doctor's visit (which was covered in my healthcare). It's an aid to help me keep my focus, and I use that in conjunction with regular practices to keep my focus on a task. I still sometimes get off-track and find myself losing focus, but I've definitely learned to deal with it.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:27 AM Edited by Slamman, 23 April 2012 - 04:39 AM.

Remember Wayne's World? A bit of humor about taking Ritalin but I was hearing things much later in life from earlier 70s diagnosis, Attention Deficit or in recent years, more research and talk about Asbergers

user posted image

Jeeebuuus
  • Jeeebuuus

AKA So-crates

• Members

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:13 AM

Sometimes I wonder, do we really want to learn from each other or do we prefer intellectual masturbation? From observing people and their habits I have concluded that most simply want sensual stimuli and whatever can keep that satisfied. If we come under attack from mental intruders we put up our defences and try our best to at least keep our pride from shattering. Because it all comes around full circle. It's all about ME. The cry of modern man.

SagaciousKJB
  • SagaciousKJB

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:34 AM

Meanwhile there's millions of people with ADHD who manage it with only therapy/counseling and do not require medication...

•¿F¡ññ4L¡ƒ£?•
  • •¿F¡ññ4L¡ƒ£?•

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE (SagaciousKJB @ Monday, Apr 23 2012, 18:34)
Meanwhile there's millions of people with ADHD who manage it with only therapy/counseling and do not require medication...

Well that's them.
Some people don't have time for those things, and it may be more expensive too (Don't quote me), if people are happy to take drugs to cure their ailments regardless of if it's 'real' or not, and they feel better afterwards let them do so, if they have side effects that is their problem.

So lil weasel why does it matter? Drug companies are employing people to make the drugs and people are buying them for their own benefit, so what's the issue?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users