Photo

Your neighbour hangs himself on a tree.

51 replies to this topic
MrcTOtheJ
  • MrcTOtheJ

Cleaning the Trash since '94

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:26 AM Edited by Mr.c TO the J, 27 April 2012 - 04:27 AM.

QUOTE (lil weasel @ Thursday, Apr 26 2012, 16:57)
Everybody seems to PANIC, "Call 911".  911 is an Emergency Number for immediate 'life/death/property in danger' assistance. When there is no need to rush use the local NoN-Emerency number. Do you know yours?

No I don't but I have a local phone book, and would use that.

But yeah I agree, not much urgence if the body isn't obviously part of a crime, but a suicide like this topic is talking about, yeah no rush, he (or she) isn't going to stray to far.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:04 AM

QUOTE (lil weasel @ Thursday, Apr 26 2012, 20:25)
Might be, I could never see the importance, as they usually don't go anywhere.

apparently you come across a lot of dead bodies...

but you already made my point for me.
as you noted, most people don't know their local PD number or have it in their phone.

and for most people, finding a dead body is not a ho-hum experience.
99% of the those who encounter this situation will call 911 and there's nothing wrong with that.

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:14 AM

Is this forum full of retarded people, or something? First thing you do is either cut the person down or hold the body up. You don't know how long he's been hanging. If it's just a few minutes, calling the police or even taking the man's pulse can cost him his life.

You can call the police and do whatever once you've established that you are dealing with a proper corpse.

Carbine23
  • Carbine23

Work Hard & Say It's Easy

• Members

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE (Irviding @ Sunday, Apr 22 2012, 18:50)
QUOTE (Chunk @ Sunday, Apr 22 2012, 18:39)
A 15 year old hung himself just up the road from me a few weeks ago. Apparently he had voices in his head and was pretty unstable. Pretty sad.

Do you live on Long Island NY? Just curious because something like that happened in my town a few weeks ago also.

In this case, if it were me, before I called the police I'd make sure he was dead. If he were still alive because he hung himself improperly he needs help immediately. If, like in 99.9% of the cases of finding someone hanging from a tree, he's dead, then I'd call right away and just stay in the area regardless of any pre-existing appointments or whatever else simply because I don't want to incriminate myself by taking off, lol.

I'm on Long Island didn't hear about any suicides lately.
One kid two years ago in my town burned himself alive and that was pretty messed up because no one knew him.

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:42 PM

QUOTE (K^2 @ Friday, Apr 27 2012, 06:14)
Is this forum full of retarded people, or something? First thing you do is either cut the person down or hold the body up. You don't know how long he's been hanging. If it's just a few minutes, calling the police or even taking the man's pulse can cost him his life.

You can call the police and do whatever once you've established that you are dealing with a proper corpse.

For real man. A lot of people are saying they wouldn't go near the guy for fear of disturbing evidence or becoming a suspect. F*ck that, the dude might not be dead. You get your ass over there and get him down ASAP. If there's even the smallest chance of him still being alive you say "forget the consequences" and do what's right.

SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

The Number of the Beast

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:23 PM

QUOTE (K^2 @ Friday, Apr 27 2012, 06:14)

Good point.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:26 PM

It's not just neighbours:
QUOTE (2011 U.S. Army Suicides Reached Unprecedented Level By: MITCHEL L. ZOLER @ Family Practice)

BALTIMORE – Suicides by active-duty soldiers in the U.S. Army reached their highest level in history last year, with 164 confirmed instances of soldiers taking their lives.
This unprecedented level came in the seventh consecutive year of steadily increasing suicide rates; in 2008, the suicide rate among active-duty U.S. Army personnel exceeded the prevailing civilian rate for the first time in history, and in the years following 2008 the annual rate among soldiers continued to rise, Maj. Gen. L.P. Chang said at the annual conference of the American Association of Suicidology.

QUOTE (Suicide rate confounding Marine Corps 18 @ 2010 8:16 pm • By MARK WALKER )
A steady rise in suicides is confounding Marine Corps commanders, despite years of efforts to assure troops their careers won't suffer for seeking mental health counseling, a top general said Tuesday. The Marine Corps' suicide rate has reached 24 per 100,000, a rate that surpasses all the other services. The rate was 13 per 100,000 in 2006. The latest available figures put the civilian suicide rate at 20 per 100,000.

QUOTE (Air Force Tries to Deal With Suicide Rate. by John Reed April 06 @ 2012)
The Air Force lost 99 airmen in 2010 to suicides, 90 in 2011 and 35 so far in 2012, making suicide the service’s leading cause of death,

The U.S. Navy is sitting quiet on stats other than the Marine Corps.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:26 PM

QUOTE (K^2 @ Thursday, Apr 26 2012, 23:14)

QUOTE (Robinski @ Friday, Apr 27 2012, 10:42)
For real man. A lot of people are saying they wouldn't go near the guy for fear of disturbing evidence or becoming a suspect. F*ck that, the dude might not be dead. You get your ass over there and get him down ASAP.

QUOTE (SIKKS66 @ Friday, Apr 27 2012, 11:23)
Good point.

no, it's not a good point.
K^2 simply jumped on a high horse in an attempt to sound self righteous without any regard for how other people actually approached the topic.

I think it's pretty obvious (if you understand the English language and context clues...) that most people were replying to this question as if the premise was coming across an already dead body. that's how most of the answers have been framed. it's not that people are "retarded" or callous as you blatantly assumed.

they were considering what they would do if they found a dead body, in which case it was clear that the person had already expired.
I think it's also pretty obvious that most people would go and help the person if they were still alive before calling the police.

your presumptuousness is more retarded than the people you tried to label as such.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:34 PM

Just for fun.
If the neighbour was already dead and hanging and he was wearing a jacket you lent to him would you take it off him? Or leave it on then ask the polite for it back?

Could you wear a jacket someone died in?
I know I could and I would try and get it back.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:36 PM

Would sleep in a dead man's bed?

Icarus
  • Icarus

[C9] Orthonormal

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:38 PM

I never did answer the question, but if I saw a body hanging from a tree, regardless of if the person were dead or not, I would call 911 and then go and cut the person down. If the person is still alive, then cutting them down may well save their life. If they're already dead, I would still cut them down out of common decency, since I'm sure seeing a body hanging from a tree would upset a few people.

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:25 PM Edited by ryuclan, 27 April 2012 - 11:33 PM.

Assuming I don't sh*t my pants I would cut him/her down. Two or three school buses drive pass my house a morning. There's no way I'd let those kids see something like that.

Unrelated: There was a guy that committed suicide in my area. He had killed himself in his home and for almost four years nobody knew. The city came by and cut his grass and shoveled his snow. Nobody went to check on him until years later when he racked up sh*tloads of bills from the city taking care of his yard and sidewalk, and his home was foreclosed.

Story Here

Edit: Added link

SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

The Number of the Beast

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:45 PM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Friday, Apr 27 2012, 22:26)
QUOTE (K^2 @ Thursday, Apr 26 2012, 23:14)

QUOTE (Robinski @ Friday, Apr 27 2012, 10:42)
For real man. A lot of people are saying they wouldn't go near the guy for fear of disturbing evidence or becoming a suspect. F*ck that, the dude might not be dead. You get your ass over there and get him down ASAP.

QUOTE (SIKKS66 @ Friday, Apr 27 2012, 11:23)
Good point.

no, it's not a good point.
K^2 simply jumped on a high horse in an attempt to sound self righteous without any regard for how other people actually approached the topic.

I think it's pretty obvious (if you understand the English language and context clues...) that most people were replying to this question as if the premise was coming across an already dead body. that's how most of the answers have been framed. it's not that people are "retarded" or callous as you blatantly assumed.

they were considering what they would do if they found a dead body, in which case it was clear that the person had already expired.
I think it's also pretty obvious that most people would go and help the person if they were still alive before calling the police.

your presumptuousness is more retarded than the people you tried to label as such.

... I was thinking the exact same thing but I could word it right. I would call paramedics if the guy wasn't moving, if he was in obvious immediate distress of course you'd attempt to help him down. But people are squeamish with bodies and such, you wouldn't blame someone for wanting to leave it to professionals.

GOUSN1776
  • GOUSN1776

U.S. Marine

• Members

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:48 AM

I'd look at him in the eyes and shake his hand. I would then ask, "How's it hangin'?"

asitsaysinthebook
  • asitsaysinthebook

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:28 AM

I'd call 911. I wouldn't dare touch him and I'd probably be in some state of chok.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:34 AM

QUOTE (asitsaysinthebook @ Sunday, Jun 3 2012, 02:28)
I'd call 911. I wouldn't dare touch him and I'd probably be in some state of chok.

I know being in a state of "chok" is a bitch sometimes

GTA 360
  • GTA 360

LIVE WITH IT OR DIE FROM IT.

• Members

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:21 AM Edited by GTA 360, 03 June 2012 - 11:23 AM.

I'd laugh, and then call the cops. I f**king hate my neighbours, they're a**eholes!
If we had good neighbours then I'd cut them down and see if they were alive and call an ambulance.

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:27 AM

QUOTE (GTA 360 @ Sunday, Jun 3 2012, 11:21)
I'd laugh, and then call the cops. I f**king hate my neighbours, they're a**eholes!

What is it with all the edgy "I'm so dark" sh*t on the forums lately?

Bunch of psychopaths, if you ask me.

Jack.
  • Jack.

Mark Chump

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:43 AM

1st: Would lift him up so hes no longer Hanging.
2nd: Scream for help.
3rd: Wait for another neighbour to come cut him down.
4th: Check for a pulse, If no pulse I would use CPR.
5th: Phone an Ambulance, While still trying to resusitate him.

I would perform these act's and ask anyone who finds themselves in this posistion to follow these few easy steps.

If in need of any advice feel free to PM me.

GTA 360
  • GTA 360

LIVE WITH IT OR DIE FROM IT.

• Members

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:55 PM

QUOTE (Robinski @ Sunday, Jun 3 2012, 11:27)
QUOTE (GTA 360 @ Sunday, Jun 3 2012, 11:21)

What is it with all the edgy "I'm so dark" sh*t on the forums lately?

Bunch of psychopaths, if you ask me.

You should try living next door to our neighbours.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:33 PM Edited by lil weasel, 03 June 2012 - 01:36 PM.

QUOTE (Jack. @ Sunday, Jun 3 2012, 11:43)
1st: Would lift him up so hes no longer Hanging.
2nd: Scream for help.
3rd: Wait for another neighbour to come cut him down.
4th: Check for a pulse, If no pulse I would use CPR.
5th: Phone an Ambulance, While still trying to resusitate him.

I would perform these act's and ask anyone who finds themselves in this posistion to follow these few easy steps.

If in need of any advice feel free to PM me.

That sounds stellar. I suppose you've never been near a real dead person, let alone one that is hanged.

How long has the person been hanging (dead), yes you can take the responsibility (and assumption that it Isn't a crime scene).
And, that should you revive the brain dead body that will cause the family to pay through the nose for 'life sustaining' health care.

Give full and considered thought to all the ramifications of action before you carry out ‘emergency’ actions.
In my jurisdiction once you start attempts for resuscitation you can’t stop until a qualified medical person tell you that you may stop. (Or so we were told by our instructor, years ago.)

To hold the body up until a neighbor came to cut the body down… Think that over again.

TreyCrll
  • TreyCrll

Forum Surfer

• Members

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:12 PM

That's sad to hear about your neighbor and I'm sorry for your loss, but both of my closest neighbors are 70+ years old. The first thing I'd wonder is how they got up in the tree

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users