Photo

Xbox 360 to PC

7 replies to this topic
kj2022
  • kj2022

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:21 AM

hey guys, i'm replacing my Xbox 360 next week seeing ask the DVD drive i my old 360 is pretty much dead, i just wanted to know if you guys think i could take the internals of my old 360, and place them in a pc set up.

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada
  • Best Forum Ledby 2011
    Best Forum Ledby 2010
    GTANet Contribution Award
    GTANet Helpfulness Award

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:44 AM

Not sure if it's possible, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is. If it is, I doubt it would be powerful enough to run Windows.

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Zaibatsu
  • Belize

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:46 AM

Wrong forum, but I'll answer anyway... no.

The component parts are just not going to be setup for a PC, wrong circuitry, voltage, cooling, connectors, software, firmware, drivers. etc etc etc.

Having said that if you have and engineering degree and masters in software and computer sciences you could do, but the cost of that plus everything else means you would end up spending x amount of thousands more than just buying a new PC.

PS Ignore Slamman if he says you can do it with some solder, used chewing gum and old copy of Vista

kj2022
  • kj2022

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:12 AM

thanks for the input.

SmellyJelly
  • SmellyJelly

Hoodies

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:59 AM

QUOTE (Gareth Croke @ Friday, Apr 20 2012, 19:46)
Wrong forum, but I'll answer anyway... no.

The component parts are just not going to be setup for a PC, wrong circuitry, voltage, cooling, connectors, software, firmware, drivers. etc etc etc.

Having said that if you have and engineering degree and masters in software and computer sciences you could do, but the cost of that plus everything else means you would end up spending x amount of thousands more than just buying a new PC.

PS Ignore Slamman if he says you can do it with some solder, used chewing gum and old copy of Vista

Yeah, that only works with Windows ME.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:39 AM Edited by Slamman, 22 April 2012 - 02:07 AM.

i'm replacing my Xbox 360 next week seeing ask the DVD drive i my old 360 is pretty much dead

You meant to type ^ "....Seeing as my DVD ROM Xbox 360 drive is pretty much dead"

You can replace just the drive in the Xbox or PS3, but the Xbox case is hell on Earth to get inside thanks to the interlocking plastic in back. That's the worst Industrial design ever.

The optical or ODD drive for Xbox is not compatible with PC based not on the standard S-ATA, but it's power pin interface, there being two of them (not the pin quantity, but connecting cables from the mainboard)

Don't take advice from the above jokers making a crack about my advice, if I don't know personally, I'll admit as much, I ain't here lyin'

I have two ODDs from Xbox removed that had problems upon testing, and something did go wrong, I also have two bad PS3 drives, but I'm also not tossing them away because I do believe a new laser, etc, could do the trick to bring them back into operational status
http://www.computerf...0-a-183391.html

Some more related threads you can find by Googling the topic, see if you can garner useful data from those

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:57 PM

Just so I've got the story straight; you want to open an Xbox 360 and put the everything into a desktop case and use it as a Xbox or just use various random parts like the DVD drive, HDD and so on?
Using the HDD is simple enough. From what I can tell it's a simple 2.5in laptop SATA drive. The DVD drive, again from what I can tell, is a SATA data connection but power is completely different from anything that is standard, it looks like a 3.5in floppy but it has 2 rows not 1.
Pretty much everything else is on=board. The CPU is designed specifically for the Xbox.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:36 AM

He's wondering about the compatibility between the DVD ROM used in Xbox and PC, and there is a clear difference, more a closer resemblance between Xbox's HD-DVD, which CAN run USB connected to PC, but not without it's back-mating board
If you're skeptical about it, I already put video on YouTube showing it DOES in fact work!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users